“A wonderful romantic escape!”
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Rendezvous Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Let me preface this review by informing you that it has been a couple of years since I've been to Rendezvous, BUT that I've been there twice--once in 2003 for our honeymoon and the following year for our anniversary. It is an absolutely wonderful property and I'm sure has only improved since our trips.

The ride to the resort is about 45 minutes if I recall. Our first taxi ride to Rendezvous was exciting to say the least! Let me just tell you I took motion sickness meds the following year! However, that first cab ride was the worst...the others not so bad. I guess it depends on your driver! The ride flies by (pun intended), given the scenery--banana farms galore. Views of the coast. You will experience some of the island which is a must, so do not factor the travel time to the resort into your consideration of this vacation. Yes, they drive on the left side of the road, and we got a little confused over this! It was adventursome to say the least.

We were greeted with warm towels and rum punch upon arrival. Our bags were taken to our room. We were in awe of the lush gardens and beauty of the lobby.

There are two places to eat at Rendezvous: The Trysting Place (which requires reservations but is not hard to get into) and the buffet style area. The Trysting Place is very gourmet. I would not have minded eating there every night. You order from a menu which changes throughout the week. All other meals (including breakfast, lunch and dinner) are eaten in the Terrace, which is just a few feet from the water. We requested a table next to the water as often as possible. The food is great. Breakfast offers hot items that you may order, or you can peruse the buffet. I can't think of anything they did NOT have. We really enjoyed the food, although we are not picky eaters.

I have stayed in 3 of the 4 rooms offered at Rendezvous. The ocean cottage was our favorite...it was like our own little place on the beach. Our first room, garden view, had a/c problems and we got upgraded our first year. We never again experienced an a/c problem. Ask and ye shall receive.

Daytime is very quiet and relaxed at Rendezvous. If you are looking for a party scene, go elsewhere. There are no speakers blasting music or other disturbances. Just people chillin' by the pool or on the expansive beach, most with books in hand. (Not that the guests are prudes! There's still plenty of boozin' going on). Prop up your flag and a server will come take your drink order. The premise behind Rendezvous is romance. This is why there are no tv's in the room. I know some people complain about this and I admit I felt a little "lost" w/o a tv too. But to tell you the truth, it was GREAT getting my husband away from the stupid tv and remote for a week--to just focus on us. To talk, enjoy the island/resort, etc. Also, there is a big screen tv in the main area at "happy hour" that shows CNN or football (soccer) for the Brits. There is also access to the internet if you quickly want to check your news (or other) sites. So if you are the type to stay in your room and watch tv and order room service (which Rendezvous does not have), this place is not for you.

There are a lot of water and other activities to participate in if you so choose. Tubing is a blast. They will have contests too. My husband and I competed in a tubing contest (where you sit on tubes and are towed real fast behind a boat). We were given a cup of colored water and the team that came back with the most still in their cup won. This was a lot of fun--and we won a bottle of rum for coming in 2nd. Kayaking is nice and peaceful too. Take your camera for a water's view of the resort. There is afternoon volleyball which is a lot of fun (to play or watch). The beach is expansive and you can take long walks (off the property, but still within sight of everyone...and we felt very safe...but don't venture after dark...common sense...). The water is very warm and calm.

There is an afternoon tea/snacks for those interested. Dinners are good (again, buffet style but lots of options). There are theme nights (for food and table tops) so the menu does change. Entertainment is like it is at most all-inclusives--good local talent. Most people dress nice for dinner. Sundresses or nice top/capris/skirt for women. Nice pants and shirts for men. The Beach Party BBQ is the exception--most wore shorts that night. There is a manager's cocktail party one night that was the most dressy, but again, people's attire ran the gammut. I liked dressing up at nights--found it to be more romantic and "date"-ish.

You must visit the town market in Castries. The market is ranked as one of the top 25 in the world by Food and Wine magazine. It is such a wonderful, cultural experience and about a 5 minute walk from the resort. Again, we felt completely safe and loved the exercise. There is also an early morning bike tour into town (w/ a staff escort) if you'd rather go that route. Also, you cannot visit St. Lucia w/o taking the Tout Bagay ("a little bit of everything") tour. You'll get out on the water on a catamaran and sail down the west coast of the town of Soufriere--seeing many sights along the way--namely the impressive Pitons. You'll tour Soufrie--seeing a live active volcano and rainforests. You'll stop for lunch and see a cocoa plantation. This excursion is a MUST for all tourists!! Rum punch all day, music and dancing on the way back...it was SO much fun. On our return trip we took a 1/2 day jeep trek into the rainforest. It too was fun, but second to Tout Bagay. We DO feel like we know the island very well, though! Next time we plan to go on the "Rhythm of Rum" tour.

Our return trip was just as pleasurable. We had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in our room, with a note that read "In Commemoration of your anniversary. Welcome back." A few staff members remembered us. We felt like we were home! We can't wait to return one day...maybe to renew our vows. Rendezvous is very special to us. The staff is so friendly and fun. They will join you for breakfast if you let them, burn you cds of local artists if you ask, or leave you alone if that is what you want. They speak English, although my husband had a hard time understanding many things due to the thick accents.

I cannot believe I didn't utilize the spa at Rendezvous, so I can't comment on it. Note that Rendezvous has a sister resort, LeSport. It is a 5 star resort that you can frequent for free, with a day pass. We went one day because that is where you must go to snorkel. It costs $20 for a transfer ride there and back, but it's fun to explore the upper portion of the island and check out other resorts. It was certainly nice, but we felt more comfortable at Rendezvous. The spa at LeSport is supposedly incredible. We looked around the facility and it is something else! It has wonderful, mountainous views and is a fun day trip, especially for those who stay at Rendezvous for more than a week.

Oh--Air Jamaica cancelled our return flight home without telling us--I learned of it on the internet 2 days before we were to depart. Our flight was moved to the following day. I called Rendezvous in a tizzy but they accomodated us for an extra night, at no cost.

I could go on and on about this resort but this review is too long already. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. This resort is so charming and quaint. It is not one of the super mega-big places that are springing up lately. I've been to those too, and they appeal to certain people/groups with certain travel desires. If you are looking for something no-fuss that is romantic and will allow you to celebrate your new marriage or rekindle an old one, this is the place for you. St. Lucia is a wonderful island--the best I've been to. At some places you are crazy to leave your resort. Not St. Lucia. Please do me a favor and tell our friend the general manager, Nigel, that Michael and Tricia said hello!!

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Tricia F
There are newer reviews for Rendezvous Resort

Reviewed November 4, 2007

What a lovely boutique resort. All the staff seemed to know our name. Our room was so beautiful and clean. The bathroom was roomy and well lite with a full block glass wall. The balcony was a covered octagon deck with a private hammock. I highly recommend upgrading to the luxury rooms - just no comparison. Each evening we enjoyed cocktails and nap time while watching the sun set. The everyday buffet was good but the private dining room (reservations required, but we had no problems) was great. The guitar player was so wonderful, really talented. The beach was soft and lovely; however I felt the water front was lacking. The beach front water was not very clear and needed some maintenace. Also the resort is near the airport, very convenient but you could hear the flights leave every few hours.

The scuba diving team were great and the diving was beautiful. Due to the intimacy of the resort the dive groups are small, and water activities were often just myself out skiing with my husband watching from the beach.

We had a couple's massage in the gazebo, so lovely to hear the water breaking. I highly recommend this.

This resort was affordable and for the couple who wants an intimate relaxing getaway, I highly recommend rendezvous.

• Stayed: October 2003, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 1FourFun
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We've just got back from a week at Rendezvous and had a fantastic time. Overall, it is fantastic value as everything is included. That means premium drinks, all food and snacks, all cocktails, all watersports and Scuba Diving!!! There's a good gym too, which was useful on the day it rained.

It is lovely to go on holiday and not have to think about where to go as it's all on your doorstep.

The rooms are well finished, clean and pleasant although not amazing - but good considering the value. The one drawback was no TV in the room. It's nice to know the world is still spinning and chill out to BBC World while getting ready for dinner.

The staff were friendly and helpful and looked like they were enjoying themselves. They never hassled us and the food was as good as I've had anywhere in a resort like this.

We booked our holiday through Virgin Holidays and flew on Virgin Atlantic. I would use them again as it was an enjoyable flight and the crew were friendly. The ride to/from the airport was a little frightening as the drivers are mad and the roads are full of pot holes. ALso, the island itself is not as pretty as Grenada, but the resort itself is beautiful!

Overall, a perfect break as you could do as much or as little as you wanted. 2 weeks might be a bit long though - I would stick to 7 or 10 nights .

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank wilsoni
Reviewed October 5, 2007

My husband and I just returned on Sunday 9/30/07 from our honeymoon at Rendezvous. We absolutely loved it! It was the perfect "romantic getaway" for any couple either on their honeymoon or just on a vacation. The beach, the room, the food, the drinks, the water sports, the service, and the nightly entertainment was all wonderful.Our favorite part was that when you are laying on the beach, they bring a red flag to you to put in the sand every time you need a cocktail, you never have to get up!
It was the perfect mix of romance, relaxation and fun!
We'll definitely visit again!

Stayed: September 2007
7  Thank KB-Bontemps
Reviewed October 5, 2007

We decided to Visit St Lucia, after reading all of the reviews & visiting websites, we decided on the Rendezvous. It was advertised as couples only, no Children & was full of Romance, just what we were looking for.
We arrived on the Tuesday after a long flight from Gatwick with Virgin. However we upgraded to Premium Economy which was well worth it.
Upon arrival, we were met, greeted & taken to reception where we were given a Rum Punch & a well needed cold flannel. We were then shown to our room.
ROOM:
We booked a Garden room, it was smaller than expected, but was clean & adequate. However bathroom was in need of a upgrade.
FOOD:
There are only so many ways you can dress up a buffet!! By the end of the 10 days we were fed up with the sight of buffet food & the same things seemed to be repeated, just dressed differently.
However the Trysting Place Air Conditioned restaurant was very good. Service, food & presentation were excellent & so too was the local entertainment. This was a man with a guitar who played inthe background, which was lovely & relaxing. Towards the end of the evening (Around 9.00pm) he started singing as well as playing the guitar, which was excellent as he had a good voice.
We were hoping for more caribbean food (as we were in the Caribbean) however we were highly dissapointed when each morning we read the notice board & it told us there was a "English" night with Fish & Chips or a Spanish tapas night etc. If we wanted to eat this food I would of stayed in the UK.
ENTRETAINMENT:
We felt like we had been transported back 20 years to a really bad wedding reception!
Even the girls who worked there & took part in the entertainment admitted they mimed to the songs. Hense most nights we had a early night!
Besides this, there were daily activities & games which you could take part in. If this is not your cup of tea, you are not pressured & are left to your own devices.
BEACH:
Slightly dissapointing. Each morning some the ground staff attempted to rake the beach, however investing in a automatic beach comber would be a far better idea. With a bit more effect this beach could be so much more. While we were their, there was a bad strorm one night. This swept up a lot of debris onto the beach & it took them 2 days to clean this up.
STAFF:
Very friendly however after the 10 days, you felt as this was staged. There is only so much "your welcome" you can listen to after everytime you say thank you. It becomes staged & not genuine.
GARDENS:
Lovely, well maintained.
POOL: Swim-up bar was lovely. Activities pool was very relaxing after a dip in the hot tub. However again, more attention needed when cleaning the pools each morning.
Overall - Attention to detail is key part that this hotel has not yet grasped! Felt a bit like Butlins in the Caribean at times.
Overall our main aim was to chill out & relax, which we certainly did.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank spot23
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Booked the Rendezvous for our wedding in june 06. On arrival we were treated like royalty. The staff went out of there way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. The gardens were beautiful, the hotel clean and roomy. My husband and I are not big eaters but we managed to eat 3 meals a day during our stay as the food was lovely, especially the bbq nights. One morning England were playing football. A tv was set up and while watching, the staff were bringing trays of drinks round so that no one had to miss the game. We were due to get married on the Wednesday but it rained all day. Everything was re-arranged for the next day which was a scorching hot day. Nothing was too much trouble. It was a perfect day. The staff were very friendly and take time out to sit down and chat. If your looking for a relaxing romantic holiday with your loved one then this is the place to go. We filled our days by relaxing, walks down the beach, eating and sometimes we even gathered some energy and did some watersports. We couldn't have been any more laid back and relaxed.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mbkc
Reviewed October 2, 2007

This was our second visit to the Rendezvous, the first being in Oct 2004.
We returned because we enjoyed our first visit so much.
Last time was a 10 night visit, this time we extended our stay to 14 nights.
We flew with Virgin from Gatwick and to avoid any possibility of missing our flight by being stuck on the M25 in a jam as so many have recently, we stopped over the previous night at the Renaissance Hotel Gatwick where we took the 15 day parking package. This also started our holiday a day earlier at a cost of £230 including dinner in the hotel.

Flying with Virgin we took advantage of the twilight check-in and lost our cases the evening before, with the flight being on time our morning at the airport was a breeze.
We had upgraded to Premium Economy which made the flight very comfortable with even better service, something we will definitely do in future.

On arrival in St Lucia there was the usual Caribbean, long slow queue at passport control and then the scrum for baggage on the undersized carrousel. We took the taxi transfer to the hotel which took about 1hr 20min in a cramped SUV rather than add the additional cost of the helicopter transfer which would have only taken just 12 min. We decided to put that money to the Helicopter island tour during the holiday which was 30min and great for photos.

On arrival at The Rendezvous we were surprised to find the entrance road and reception area as off-putting as it had been 3 year ago but we knew once past that the hotel would be great.

Quickly checked in with a Rum punch and ice cold flannel and onto our Verandah Suite and the same one (124) as we had in 2004 as I had emailed the hotel ahead and requested the same room if possible. As a returning guest there were flowers, a fruit basket and bottle of sparkling wine on ice in the room waiting for us.

The room was a little warm and we thought maybe the air con had only recently been turned on so we went to check out the rest of the hotel to see what had changed whilst the room cooled down.

Well, first impressions of the bar and restaurant was that nothing had changed at all. In fact those first impressions were that it was looking a little tired and needing a lick of paint. Having said that after a day or so we didn’t even think of it, as it is part of the character of a ‘local’ Caribbean hotel. If you’re looking for modern American type hotel then probably best to go to Sandals or on a cruise. If you want to experience St Lucia the Rendezvous is a good, if not the best choice.

We went back to our room to freshen up and change for dinner and found the room cool but not what we would call ‘air conditioned’. We therefore didn’t unpack as I thought we may need to change rooms if that was the best the air con could achieve. However the next day the air con was looked at and it did improve but was never as I would expect air con to be, I also did need to get it looked at again in week two of our stay.
On our last visit the Verandah Suites had just been renovated and were really great, three years on they are starting to show signs of wear, the floor mats were also not that appealing. Having said that, apart from the mats, it was spotlessly clean.

The Terrace restaurant serves breakfast with a daily special ordered and served at the table and the remainder is buffet style, buffet lunch and then dinner which varies between a la carte and buffet with a different theme every night, rotating weekly. The quality of the food in the Terrace restaurant we found to be very good with excellent service. However we often seemed to be invisible to the wine waiter who when he did see us made a great deal of fuss about pouring the house wine for me to taste, from a bottle that was always pre corked so I guess must be filled from a vat somewhere, into the wrong type of glass for the wine. In particular sparkling wine called ‘champagne’ he poured into a round bowl wine glass. Having said that I found the house wine very good and drank a lot of it!

Diane, senior waitress/supervisor in the Terrace Restaurant was exceptionally good. She actually remembered us from our last visit which stunned me as we are a fairly low profile couple. Diane always saw we had wine and a good table, and service in her area of the restaurant was superb.

The air conditioned French style restaurant Trysting Place Restaurant is actually very well run and equally as good as a good quality restaurant at home. Both food and service is very good. There is also a solo singer/musician every evening who though repetitive was very talented.

Some reviews on this forum seem to be, in my view, unfairly critical of the food at the hotel. I usually head for fish when in the Caribbean as it’s local, fresh and always good. I guess if you want chips and burgers then maybe try an American style hotel.

One thing that I hoped had changed but had not was the staff wishing to dine with the guests. On our previous visit it hit us on our first night when we were tired and not wishing to be very sociable. Most people seem ok with it but I don’t like it. My job as a sales account manager means I spend most days lunching customers and quite honestly I go on holiday to be alone with my wife. At roughly £300 a day I don’t want to have dinner with hotel staff though they are all pleasant and interesting people. I wouldn’t expect to get the staff joining me at the Ivy! Being advertised as a Romantic hotel also conflicts with this practice. We were there on our 34th wedding anniversary which again the hotel kindly sent us sparkling wine and flowers, but that day a member of the activities team asked if they could join us for lunch, I felt bad after but I asked if they would mind if we declined.

Entertainment in the evening was good but was often the same band with a different name and often included the staff acts. The staff were extremely good and entertaining but were on too many evenings in my opinion.
Being the ‘activities team’ they also insisted you got up and danced, and I mean danced. With many of the guests and audience over 50 we didn’t really want to be pushed into doing the jump with a full stomach and bad back, I duly obliged more than once but was shagged out after.
The lounge seating in the Terrace bar was also arranged in arrangement of at least four at a table which is not in the flavour of a Romantic setting which presumably would have been laid out in settings for two. Having said that we were in the minority, enjoying our own company whereas many others were making holiday friendships ending up in large groups. Not for us but good to watch.

The Beach is where we headed after breakfast to relax as we are not into activities around the pool but enjoy bathing in the warm sea. On our last trip the beach was littered with cigarette ends which I did comment on in this forum. This time it was raked every morning prior to breakfast and was much improved. However there was still a lack of sun shades on the beach and none at the pool, for someone like my wife who is fair skinned and unable to sit in the sun for long it leaves me with no option other than bag a sunshade before breakfast, the problem is I don’t speak German!.

Though a couples only hotel the beaches in St Lucia as with most Caribbean islands are all public and so at weekends this beach in particular becomes very popular with local children, it becomes very noisy with kids of all ages just enjoying themselves, and they are no problem at all. After all it is their beach.

There are also a few beach traders. All of whom are very pleasant and go away at the slightest suggestion. I am surprised that one old guy tries everyday to sell Conch shells that the UK will not allow you to bring home. The guy selling the steel pans has a very good product for the grandchildren, a genuine seller though I didn’t need one.

The drinks service on the beach is good but varies. The idea is you put your flag up and the beach waiter takes your order and eventually you get a drink. Sometimes the flag doesn’t work very well.

Having visited the Caribbean at least once a year for the last 10 year we feel qualified to post reviews. We have visited Barbados (3 times), the Bahamas, Cuba, Grenada, St Kitts, St Lucia and Tobago and currently are alternating between The Rendezvous in St Lucia and the CoCo Reef in Tobago where we have also been twice and would highly recommend.
Those that badly criticize the Rendezvous, in our opinion can not be qualified to review a locally owned Caribbean resort and should be looking to stay at a Hilton or such like.

Whilst on this very pleasant island with its genuinely pleasant people we hired a car for three days and saw the island several times over. If you take a camera then take a car out on a Sunday when it’s very quiet. There are some stunning scenery photos to be had. The car was a small Jeep which cost $300 US fully inclusive of CDW and local license. I filled it up with petrol and it cost £12 for a full tank.

Other trips we took were the Virgin Ahoy, All Day Trip on the Catamaran; this was a great day out taking in the volcano sulphur springs and the Waterfall and Diamond Botanical Gardens.

The Sunset Cruise on the Brig Union as used in the film Pirates of the Caribbean was by far the best sunset cruise we had done in the Caribbean. The rum Punch was also some of the best I have had!

As mentioned earlier we also took the helicopter island tour which was great for photographs but if you can get the front seats it would be even better.

One thing I did like was that the majority of guests at the hotel whilst there were from the UK. Our experience is that guests from the US seem to want to tip everyone for everything in an obvious manner which is not what I wish to do when on an all inclusive holiday. I put my wallet in the safe and rarely remove it.
The Hotel literature requests that you do not tip hotel staff. Having said that those that I did discretely tip were very experienced at taking a tip from the palm of my hand without it being noticed. I only tip at the end of my holiday to reward good service not as a request for good service as that is what I expect at such a hotel.
This hotel is part of a local group of hotels which include the Jalousie (ex Hilton) and Le Sport. We drove down to the Jalousie for lunch and it is on a very dramatic location and is probably very nice, however we only experienced the beach restaurant as it is on a mountain side and almost impossible to walk from one part to another of the hotel, a small bus drives you around. The pool was nice but the ladies toilets at the pool were short of disgusting the day we went.
Le Sport in the north of the island is similar to the Rendezvous in maturity of the gardens and looks very nice but we only drove by.

The Staff at the Rendezvous like everyone we met on the island are very genuinely pleasant people. I can honestly say I didn’t experience one occasion where anyone gave a look or reply that didn’t include a smile. Everyone spoke and sounded like they were pleased to talk to us.

All in all another fantastic holiday at the Rendezvous and one we hope to repeat in a couple of year’s time. We would certainly recommend the Rendezvous highly.

Please remember we were there with very little to do for two weeks, it’s very hard not to find something to criticise, and rest assured we can be very critical.
I would say this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at, but there is always room to improve!

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions; I will be very honest with my answer.
john@johnsworld.co.uk

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
18  Thank KentBoyJohn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!