“Taste of Local Life”

and up
St Lucia North Island Half-Day Shopping Excursion
Ranked #7 of 53 things to do in Castries
More attraction details
Owner description: A lively and colorful market bursting with tropical fruit and vegetables.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a far cry from the resort life. I stayed over a week at 3 different local guesthouses throughout the island, and completed my stay with a week at the luxurious Windjammer Villa Resort. I loved Castries Market because I got a chance to see the local hustle and bustle of the capital city of Castries. This open air market is where you can buy local gifts, art, jewelry, clothes, sulfur soaps, local food and much more. I enjoyed just sitting to people-watch. I came to the Castries Market several times during my stay and even met some very friendly locals (professionals) who I hung out with throughout my trip. Yes, it may look poor, but its rich in character and culture. Vendors wanted me to look at what they had to offer, but did not push for me to buy. I appreciated this gesture. For me, this is a necessary stop in St Lucia.

1  Thank LadyJBe10
in 11 reviews
"nutmeg"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We took the public mini bus from St James resort, twenty minutes and cost very little.
As with most Caribbean Islands towns and cities there is a rustic shanty town feel about the place with lots of street market stalls and much fresh fruit for sale. The non-commercialisation of Castries tourist industry allows for the true Caribbean flavour of the Island to come through. However if you are used to Mediterranean resorts where comfortable street cafes together with bars and up market souvenir shops abound you will be disappointed.
CMP

1  Thank M50CMP
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was a typical Caribbean market that is part flea market and part Food market. If I had to cook then I would have bought some of the fresh produce and spices. National Geographic rated the food market third in the world! I was looking to take home a piece of local art but there was nothing like that at this market. It was mostly inexpensive souvenirs and every booth was alike. I wish we had skipped Castries and went to Rodney Bay.

1  Thank JetSetterJanet
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place is great!! I bought all sorts of fun things that I could never get in the states and the people were all very nice. My husband and I were approached by vendors but if we told them we were not interested they would leave us alone. The food market in the back was my favorite! We got local fruits and veggies and took them back to our hotel for snacks. There is a man there with fresh coconuts as well that were delicious! Went for one hour and found that we could have stayed for 2 hours easy. This is the best place to buy souvenirs!