“Wonderful Wedding at Windjammer”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wonderful Wedding at Windjammer”
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Our wedding was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
It was held in the private estate villa on the terrace, 406. Beautiful view and surroundings! The wedding coordinators did an awesome job with the set-up. They exceeded my expectations. My guests had a great time too. They were extremely impressed. Everyone felt as though they were in a movie! Our destination wedding was truly a dream.

We were pleased with the food and activities provided by Windjammer. We were there to relax and have fun and that we did. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. It was great. Our villa was indeed tropical. It had 3 levels. Our bedroom had a beautiful terrace and steps lead to another level on the top of our villa. My only negative are the mosquitos, which are to be expected and have nothing to do with windjammer. The living area was open air and the mosquitos do bite. However, we sprayed Off and were fine. We did not let mosquitos ruin our trip. I was really concerned about WJLV after reading some reviews. I understand everyone has different experiences and expectations. I also expressed some of the comments to the staff. But, My experience was great. I felt prepared and my expectations were realistic because I did months of research, prayed, and visited this site weekly to read reviews. I was prepared for almost anything. But, I am happy to say my vacation was FABULOUS!!!

I encourage travelers to be open-minded. Do your research. The resort is like no-other on the island. The views are spectacular because the villas are on hills. This is not your typical resort. Be patient and understand this is not the US or Europe. Life is more relaxed. So... just relax yourself. Shuttles are provided for our convenience. The resort is indicative of Caribbean living. If you're looking for a more traditional resort, then visit Sandals. Windjammer is in a class of its own. We were also in the AI plan. That was perfect for us!

I would definitely suggest having your wedding in an estate villa if you are marrying at Windjammer. The estate villa is private, extremely spacious, and pretty. You'll be overlooking the entire resort and Atlantic ocean as you recite your vows. I also suggest taking pictures on the beach as the sun sets. We also had our reception at the estate villa. the reception set up was perfect and the food delicious! The beach is not private enough and the area designated for weddings was damaged a bit by the hurricane. Also, be upfront about your expectations for your wedding. I was in constant communication with the coordinators. I sent dozens of pictures about what i visioned for our big day. I also bought candles and tea lights, vases, fans, and all sorts of items for the ceremony and reception. I asked for a minister and even wrote the order of ceremony. I left nothing to wander. I have no regrets about our Destination wedding. It could not have been prettier in the U.S. Our wedding was a dream!!!

Well, i hope this helps someone!

• Liked — Views from Villa
  • Disliked — Open-air living room
  • Stayed August 2007
8 Thank niseatl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
New York
Reviewed August 30, 2007

My husband and I went to Windjammer Landing for our honeymoon, and it is truly a trip we will remember forever. We wanted to go to a place that wasn't a honeymoon convention -- and this was the perfect find. Going to a Sandals was not our idea of a good time - we didn't want to hang out with only couples on their honeymoon and get into debates about whose wedding was better. We were looking for a place where we could go do things on our own, but also interact with various people - not just honeymooners.

The resort is amazing - we stayed in a one bedroom villa with a private plung pool, and it was everything we had hoped for and more. The view from our balcony was beautiful, and we always made sure we were back at the villa each night to watch the sunset with a bottle of champagne. The room was always kept clean, every villa has a maid that comes daily, and the pool was always in great condition. It was wonderful to have your own private pool to come back to for a night swim!

The staff was also very helpful, and always very courteous. We did several of the excursions, each of which were well worth the time and money. Most of the excursions are very reasonably priced - especially for what you get to do. The Jammers Day Sail, The Zipline tour through the rainforest and the horse back riding were all amazing and we would highly recommend doing these while you are there.

The resort is very hilly, so most of the time you will have to take shuttles to and from your villa. The resort makes it very convenient though, they have several that run all the time so it makes it easy to get around.

We also purchased the all-inclusive option which covered all of our food, drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol) and all water sports. This is a great idea to do. The plan costs about $115 a day per person, and its worth every penny -- everything was delicious. We calculated it out, and if we hadn't bought the all-inclusive option, we would have paid almost $350 a day for food and drinks for the two of us. We live in New York, so we are used to great food, and great dining experiences - so this was a very important aspect to us. The service was great in all of the restaurants (a total of 5 on the resort), and we honestly never had a bad meal. The resort's head chef should be commended for providing such great options and menu items at all of the restaurants.

We are already planning on going back to Windjammer Landing - once you go, you'll never want to go anywhere else.

• Liked — The villas were great, and all of the restaurants were delicious!
  • Disliked — It was very hilly, making it difficult to run back to the room if you forgot something.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LRFnewyork
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2007

My husband and I (both under 38 years old) stayed at the Windjammer for 5 days for a short summer vacation. The Windjammer is a great vacation spot if your expectations are realistic.

The Windjammer is advertised as a luxury resort. It is not. It is an average older Caribbean resort. This is not a bad thing - if that's what you expected. If you believe the luxury hype and pics from their website you will be disappointed. The villas are not luxurious and decorated with "tropical elegance". There are no high quality towels and sheets, no fancy furnishings, gleaming floors, flat screen tv's , etc etc. The only thing on point about the description on the website is the view - the view from the villas is absolutely beautiful.

The ride from the airport - Yes it is very long ride if you fly into the big airport. The roads weren't scary to us, as they were paved. We took a nap.

The room - We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa with plunge pool. Our living area was enclosed and air conditioned. We requested one of the fully enclosed villas. It was quite large and spotlessly clean with a full kitchen. The view from our deck was beautiful. The room however, was not luxurious. It was a plain average room with wicker furnishings and a bathroom with a regular tub.

Shuttle system - Yes the hills are quite steep. We were quite a ways up the mountain. Walking down is not impossible but not advised as the roads are narrow and the shuttles are always on the move. The shuttles are quick and efficient, so we didn't find this a minus...actually it's pretty great to get shuttled back to your room after a night at the bar.

The food - The food was pretty good. Didn't have a bad meal. We were on the all-inclusive plan, which I recommend as the meals and drinks are pricey. The steaks and seafood at the Upper deck was good, The Dragonfly was excellent. Lunch at Jammers everyday was great - get a beef roti!

The bar.- Drinks were good. Daiquiris made with real bananas instead of mix! They have top shelf stuff, just ask once and the bartender will remember.

Beach - Beach is small but quiet and relaxing. Lots of loungers and beautiful views.

The spa - I had a massage at the spa. This is really were the not a luxury hotel comes in. The spa is tiny and old. After you sign in you change into a robe (a thin one - not one of those big thick terry ones)- there are two little rooms in which to change...the restroom (that has one toilet and sink ) or the shower area ( a single shower in a room). After you change into your robe you sit in the waiting area that is right by the entrance door in a upright hard chair. So people are coming in and out while you sit right by the door naked under a thin robe.

The massage table was rickety and creaked as I got on and every time the massage tech applied pressure. Note I am not a huge person - about 160lbs soaking wet. Not exactly relaxing. The massage tech was ok. It mostly felt like I was just getting slathered with oil.

After the massage the usual expectation is that you go to some lounge to relax, maybe in the whirlpool, steam room etc. After my massage I came out expecting to be invited/shown to the lounge area. The massage tech just asked if I liked the massage and then just walked away to the next customer. I peeked around for a second but I didn't see any other area to relax so I just dressed and left.

The pools - on the small side. Again, this is where the not luxury shows again. They look old and not exactly inviting. This type of thing is suitable for kids but not for adults expecting luxury. But not the biggest deal as the beach was better.

The gym/exercise facilities - This consists of a small dark hot room with old equipment. Only the really determined would work out there. The 2 times we went we had it all to ourselves.

Entertainment - There was a live band at Jammers nightly until about 10:30pm. The bands were generally good. After that the bar switches on the radio until closing at about 12 or 1am.

Conclusion - All in all we had a great time. But this is only because the food and drink were good and plentiful and the view from our room was beautiful and the short duration of our stay.

We were expecting a short luxury vacation where we could relax and recharge our batteries. But the amenities and atmosphere at the hotel are not for this purpose - it is more suited for a family or young couple on a quick getaway/first taste of the Caribbean type of trip. If we had not believed the description on the hotel's website and paid about $1500 less we would say this hotel was an excellent choice. So for those expecting luxury go elsewhere. If you are expecting luxury and already booked...don't despair just readjust your expectations and eat and drink your disappointment away...we did.

• Liked — The scenic view
  • Disliked — The room and the spa
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelingfromphilly
Austin
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We spent just over a week at the Windjammer in July. After a long day of travel, we were greeted at the property by smiling faces with can-do attitudes.....and a nice, cold face cloth! From that point forward, the entire staff made every effort to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable. If the heat was too much for us, the shuttle was always standing by to take us to our room. We had a one bedroom unit, and the air conditioner worke like a dream. The absolute only single complaint we had was the bathroom. It was a bit dark, low water pressure, and the AC didn't reach that far.
Other than that, it was a great stay. We only ate a few meals on the property, preferring instead to snoop out great little restaurants on our own. We rented a car for the week and took in all the sites. Local restaurants were great (except for the Lime) and the people treated us very nicely from north to south.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — The bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RuttaB55
dublin
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We stayed at the Windjammer for 11 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The restort is beautiful and the room we had (ocean view) was beautiful. Not only did we have a terrace but there was also a sunning area on the roof. Think only rooms with (a) at the end get the additional sun area. The beach and pools mean that you can get variety throughout the day and the choices of restaurants available were adequate. The food was tasty and the portions generous but chips came with nearly eveything so a little bit more diversity would have been good. Papa Dons was our favourite restaurant, the meals were very tasty at a reasonable price, but by day 11 it was nice to go somewhere new

The only reservation I would have was the night life. Post 10.30 there is no one really around bar teens, which can get dull if you are staying for a longer time frame. However Rodney Bay is not that far and we really enjoyed our trips into there. Beers were also expensive at 3 Euro (9ECB) for a 250ml bottle in the hotel. The same bottle was 4-5 ECB in Rodney bay and 2 ECB in the supermarket

The staff were friendly enough but it felt very forced and not genuine. Even though we tipped 10% on top of the service charge and tax we never felt like it was appreciated

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dotty20
belfast
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I booked the Windjammer on the basis of the positive reviews I had read here before hand. I expected a lot as all the reviews were rated 4 and 5. Windjammer is a villa resort built on very steep hillsides. Stunning views but impractical to walk up and down. You travel up and down by calling a shuttle bus. The area is heavy in foliage/trees etc, which is nice but there is a big mosquito problem. I arrived late at night and was shuttled to our villa - no1. It is typical of the majority of the villas here so beware. Split level with one bedroom up and one down. Middle area is living, dining and kitchen. Three large double door openings on this level are all barred, no glazing and no mosquito mesh, nor air conditioning (air conditioning in bedrooms only). The doors look like a jail, check out my photos. This is a fundamental design error that beggars belief !!!. Anything from the jungle can come in (and in our case did) day or night into your kitchen with ease. My daughter was bitten all over watching TV in the living room at night and there was nothing we could do to stop mosquitos coming in. You are at one with the outdoors with no protection. The birds are really bold and constantly have to be chased outside. On our second night my wife and I were enjoying a drink, in the lounge area when a dark shape caught my eye on the kitchen worktop. A RAT!!! I managed to get it out, but we were both horrified and disgusted at the thought of it being in our rooms. Check out the photos of the rat faeces on the kitchen window sill (which the hotel staff didn't remove even after my showing them it ). I complained to the front desk staff the next morning and told them we would be leaving the same day unless it was sorted. Genny the rooms manager showed me a few alternatives which were basically the same, before moving me to a 1 bed apartment that was glazed all round. I have to say both Genny and Richard the general manager made every apology and were genuinely concerned that we were happy with our new accommodation. Because of this and their excellent kids club I am giving them 3 stars. I told them that the standard villas have a terrible design problem that would be easily fixed by spending a few hundred pounds on insect screens. They listened in agreement but I suspect nothing will ever happen. This is very sad as the resort has a lovely beach and some other nice attributes. If you can obtain a villa or apartment here that is glazed, or if you don't mind sharing your holiday with the local flora and fauna, then perhaps this place is worth a look in. I paid 250pounds (500usd) a night here for "room only". I didn't think it was good value. However, most of the Carribean is pretty similar. If you want a real 5 star hotel then be prepared to pay over 500 pounds (1000usd) a night. For many my review will be completely off-putting. This is perhaps unfair because once we'd moved, I did like it and you can have a good time here with or without kids. The staff are great But what happened is true and it is down to the basic design shortcoming of the villa.

• Liked — view from villas and beach
  • Disliked — rat, bird and insect problem due to bad design of villas
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank rogervidamour
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Stayed here with the missus for 11 nights in July in an ocean view room. The room itself was spotless, a nice size with a big sheltered veranda and a very private sundeck upstairs. If you are staying in an ocean view room, I'd recommend trying to book one with the letter A after the number as these are far more comfortable, larger, more private and have the sundeck when compared with the apartments below which end in B. Overall we were delighted with the room and was perfect for the 11 nights. There was a cleaning service and a turndwn service every day.
We stayed during the construction period and was fairly unnoticeable to be honest. You get used to the background din. it certainly didn't impede our enjoyment.
We found the food very good with lots of variety. The only exception was the Upper Deck where we only ate once and weren't tempted to return. The Friday night BBQ in Dragonfly is simply stunning and Papa Dons well worth a few visits.
Service throughout is excellent with few exceptions.
Only a couple of minor negative points. Nightlife is fairly non existent after 10:30pm although the bar opens till 1am. Also, the pool beside Papa Dons which was the nearest to us and most private was closed for repairs for nearly a week which was disappointing.
We went out in Rodney Bay on a few nights which is far more lively. All the people are sociable and very friendly and its better value too although there is no need to go in every night!
Windjammer is set in a fantastic location. I'd recommend walking the "strip" in Rodney Bay to see where all the other resorts are located and you'll be happy you selected Windjammer!
We had a super time and would definitely return. Well recommended.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BobbieDee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,079 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!