“Stop. Red light. Do not go!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Illinois
“Stop. Red light. Do not go!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

This was absolutely the poorest run all inclusive hotel I have ever stayed and , as a result, this the most disappointing vacation to the Caribbean my family has taken in the 35+ years. Fortunately, we have a sense of humor and the failings of the Windjammer became a good topic of conversation and provided a lot of laughs for all of us. The service was horrible with little to no management of the place. As one other guest we befriended stated "the inmates are running the prison" There were rats on the rooftop decks, steel drum bands playing on the beach for hours (I mean like 5 hours) during the day and when the band was not there was someone screeching into a microphone trying to entertain children with activities. I am from a big city and have never felt so overwhelmed by noise. There wasn't a quiet place on the beach (which is very small by the way) When I went up to the "quiet pool" I had to endure for two days men using loud power hoses in mid afternoon to clean the rooms across from the pools ( maybe because of complaints of the rats). Anyone who has stayed at a hotel in the last 10 years would
assume the light on the phone would lights up when one has received a voicemail. Well, our phones- all of them including four rooms and a separate casita- didn't indicate a message and it was too late when we received our voicemails- information about a sick relative, cancellation of our 10 person New Year's reservation. When we checked with the management we were told that the light of the phones didn’t work and checking VM required dialing a number. This was not indicated on the phone or in the general information guide provided. Some of the staff were sweet and would try to help, but the overall organization was clearly lacking in general management. Internet in the lobby is spotty so don’t plan on depending on it for work you need to get done. The property itself is beautiful with the casitas and rooms built into the hills overlooking the bay. The casitas are lovely- the adjoining single rooms are not. Unfortunately their system of transportation to the rooms in the hills involves vans who speed by the people walking and made me feel I’d be safer walking on the street along the curb of the street 5th avenue in NYC. No one was hit from while I was there but any reasonable parent would not trust any child under 12 to walk without holding someone’s hand. Food was also just terrible. The time share owners we met told us over and over that they would rarely dine at the restaurants there. I am not a high maintenance traveler. I have stayed at places which cost 1/2 of this price and have had much better experiences. The island is beautiful. I'd check out the Sandals resort if I were planning a trip here.

Stayed December 2006
21 Thank cassieIllinois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2007

My wife and two small kids stayed at the Windjammer Jammer Landing 10/14/06 through 10/21/06. We were there on the all inclusive package through a RCI time share exchange.

The first 1 bedroom villa did not have air conditioning in the sitting room, and it was a little hot and noisy (crickets??). However, the resort was able to accomodate our request for a change, and we were much happier.

Overall, the restaurants are nice and the food is pretty good. The breakfast buffet was nice for a quick meal. The sit-down service for lunch and dinner was a little slower. With small kids, buffet options for lunch and dinner would have been nice. We really enjoyed dinner at Dragon Fly (had to leave the kids at the Kids Club as it is Adults only for dinner).

The resort itself is very nice and well maintained. The beach was nice - in a sheltered bay. The staff is generally friendly, but not always very fast with service. The only real drawback to the resort layout is that the resort is spread across a steep hillside, and you have to wait 10-15 mins for shuttle service (not a big deal, but it meant you generally had to plan ahead - no quick stops to the room to get forgotten items).

Good mix of guests - Americans and Europeans. We only left the resort once for a evening cruise, and we had a nice relaxing time with the family. The kids enjoyed the gentle surf at the beach and the bounce house at the Kids Club.

• Liked — Large one bedroom villa with nice view from balcony
  • Disliked — Shuttle service required to get back and forth from room to pool/beach/restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for villa with airconditioning in all rooms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank clear_blue_sky
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2006

We stayed at the Windjammer 12/2/06 through 12/9/06. There were 8 of us total – 4 with the all inclusive package and 4 with the breakfast and dinner package. We had 4 people in each 2 bedroom villa. Check in takes quite some time but you at least get to sit down and are served drinks. Luckily the alcohol helps one to be patient while waiting to check in. I found the check in process somewhat frustrating because there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the process. Guests who had arrived much later than we did were serviced before we were. After finally checking in, we get to our room which was in a prime location. The walk was 5 minutes so we were lucky enough to not need a shuttle to get to the beach. The other two couples with us were not so lucky with there location and had to take a shuttle or walk up 164 stairs (yes, one day they counted!).

During the first 3 days of our stay, there were 5 instances where we had no water. It was extremely frustrating when we had dinner reservations and were unable to shower after returning from the beach. The hotel staff did not seem to understand the need for water. After each incident/complaint of having no water, the wait time for the maintenance staff increased. Finally after the end of day 3 there were no other issues with the water.

The restaurants are nice and the food is pretty good. I would say the best service came from Jammer’s, which is located on the beach. The service was unbelievably slow at the other restaurants. When people tell you that you are “on island time”, you will truly understand that meaning when you are dining at one of the Windjammer’s restaurants. I highly recommend the breakfast buffet at Dragon Fly. You serve yourself, so you can get in, eat, and get to the beach quickly. The food was great and the guy who makes the eggs and omelets was awesome!

Even though we had some issues with waiting and the lack of water part of the time, the majority of the staff was exceptional and extremely friendly. The resort itself is well kept and is gorgeous. The beach is great and the beach wait staff is awesome! We had a couple’s massage at the spa which was great as well and so relaxing.

If you plan on drinking alcohol, I recommend the all-inclusive package. With the package you can order as much of anything you want with no worries about price. Everyone in our room had the all-inclusive and we were worry free when it came to eating and drinking. The other 4 people with us had purchased the breakfast and dinner only package and they were constantly trying to figure out bills and what drink and meal belonged to what person. We were glad we did not have to worry about accounting while vacationing. One day they even had to spend two hours trying to sort out what they had been charged so far. I was happy that we were able to just sit on the beach and drink while they were trying to figure out billing.

Overall, I would say that the resort is very nice and the staff is friendly. I got a great deal on the trip, so the issues that we encountered were not so bad. Had I paid regular price for the resort, I would have been extremely angry. I would say that at the normal rates the resort charges, it would not have been a good deal for us. Since we received a huge price cut, it was worth it.

On another note, we had an exceptional shuttle driver and tour guide named Fabian. He charges tour prices much lower than the resort and he customizes your tour for you. For example, Windjammer charged $130 US PP for a tour and Fabian did the same tour for $45 US PP – big difference! Plus, Fabian’s tour is private! It is just your group, so you get to choose where you want to go! His website address is ---. Have him take you to the Friday night fish fry. It is awesome!

• Liked — Clean room, on the beach, great views
  • Disliked — Lack of water in the room 3 days in a row
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank sunshine_0576
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2006

We have just returned and after having last been there 15 years ago all we can say is WOW! We did a timeshare exchange. It is without a doubt the best one we have ever had.

The resort is magnificent. We had an older unit but it did not matter, they are fabulous and spacious. The housekeeping was the best we have seen anywhere in the world. Our unit had a stupendous ocean view as well as was easy walking distance down to the main area. We overlooked the pools by Papa Don's. We really loved the location as we did not need to take the shuttle. Our legs were quite conditioned after a couple of days of the walking up and down. It is extremely hilly so if you are impaired with mobility issues then it is not the place for you even if you are taking a shuttle.

The only negatives were check-in and check-out -- they were slow and not particularly efficient but everything else is 5 star.

The most amazing thing about this resort is the services. There are 5 restaurants on property and every one of them is good if not great. We never had a bad meal. I ate rack of lamb 3 nights and lobster 1. Had fish and pasta as well. The only place we did not eat was at Ember's. The drinks were great and the bartenders, too. I recommend all the restaurants.

We did sailing on the resort-owned catamarans almost daily. It's a great place to sail from and we had some pretty windy weather while we were there. We relaxed on the beach - love being able to get drinks right at the beach and putting up a flag and having someone come to take your order - how cool is that? Loved the trampoline out in the water, too. In the afternoon they offer free banana boat or tube rides. It's crazy watching those people go out. One day some got flung off so they slowed the boat down a bit. Looked like everyone was enjoying themselves tremendously.

We did the Jammer's Day Sail. It was really great. We had been on the island 5 years ago but had not done any tours by sea. We highly recommend this as it was fun, informative and relaxing. I especially loved Toraille Falls - wished I had a picnic lunch as I would have stayed a while and relaxed. The Volcano we'd seen but it was not so bad going back. The visit to Fond Doux Estate was interesting but would have loved to walk around the plantation a little which for some unknown reason they don't do.

We did all-inclusive. While it offered a lot for the money we found ourselves eating and drinking to excess. When we go back we won't do all-inclusive so we don't feel like gluttons at the end of the trip.

Windjammer is a great place. We made some friends that I know we'll keep in touch with for a long time. You can be as interactive or not as you like. The beach is well maintained, the views are marvelous and your vacation will be relaxing. Don't hesitate to come here. My husband now wants to buy a timeshare there and go every year. Guess I won't complain - there are very few places this wonderful to travel.

• Liked — Staff, Views, Food, Room, Housekeeping
  • Disliked — Check-in and Check-out
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't do All-Inclusive unless you want to eat and drink to excess
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nevera
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2006

From the moment we got off the plane and our luggage was left in Puerto Rico and the hotel Director Mr Brown (whos luggage was also lost) calling ahead and having hotel tee shirts and all bathroom items ready for us, 2 adults and 2 kids....We were so tired and we went to bed thinking... this place is first class. They followed up with the airline until our luggage was delivered. We went with a group of 30 people for a wedding and everyone had a great time. The Villa was just as the pictures show, the service was super from the room staff, dining room, bar, front desk... Martin and Francis in Timeshares... we felt at home by the second day.. it could be because we had Hotel Staff tee shirts on buy hey, they were clean and we had a lot of fun with them.. turned a lot of heads. The kids are 3 and 5 and they had a blast, such a great place for families.

We will go back, each year after Martin sells us that timeshare.. :)

The Wayne Family

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — ITs the Carribean, relax
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank TheWayneFamily
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

My family and I just returned from Thanksgiving vacation at WJL. We had a wonderful time and loved windjammer. Many things that I loved but just a few negatives

Positives
WJL is a beautiful, well maintained resort. Villas are spacious and well appointed you have to get used to the open air nature of it though. living space and dining rooms are windowless with all the tropical breezes associated with that. Little to NO bugs though which was a pleasant surprize. Little black birds however join you and I didn't mind that though some might. We got uppped graded to a larger Villa with a plunge pool and the villa was bigger than my home. I would have liked to have a bathroom on the same level as living space but they were all down with bedroooms but that is nit picking. Plunge pool was a great addition and was serviced everyday. Housekeeping was great clean and turn down service everyday. Maintenance was there quickly as needed. Food was very good We particualrly enjoyed Upper deck but ate in our villa most nights So i cant critique all the restaurants. Staff was very pleasant and attentive. St Lucians seem to be very friendly and polite. More so than many islands I have visited. Beautiful views from the entire resort and villas A little more rain this week than I have experience most years this week. Beach staff very nice got the kids doing little activities to have fun All good

Negatives

It is not a complaint against WJL but St Lucia is NOT a coral based island. SO therefore there are not the white sand beaches and crystal clear blue water that you will find elsewhere ie St Martin, Cayman so therefore not a place to snorkel and scuba We had a car and as we traveled the island there were not public beaches to stop and snorkel. When we went on Catamoran and snorkelled Anse Cachon. It was weak at best So if you are looking for snorkeling this isn't the place.
The other negative would be that the layout of the WJ with all the villa's on the hill side requires taking a shuttle all the time. Shuttles were very efficient usually there within minutes but a couple of times it took a while. But I could have lived without getting in and out of these shuttle up and down the hills to your villa. Dont forget something in your room. As a note though It was amazing to see these drivers navigate the hills winding in ad out and around. The way they drove in reverse was impressive. Shopping in Soufreire was nothing to get excited about as was most of the other island shopping that we got to. Souvenier vendors were very aggressive at destinations

Overall a very good time lovely resort dont know that I would return to St Lucia. If I returned to ST Lucia would definately stay at Windjammer

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank drjoek
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2006

just got back from the Windjammer Landing resort. It is a beautiful resort. You do get a great workout from climbing up to your villa each day. My boyfriend and I did not mind it since we like to work out, but for some of the villa locations you definately need a shuttle to and from.

Our workouts each morning were to climb to the top, beautiful views. We stayed probably in the cheapest room with no pool and it was beautiful. 2 balconies, big size room, walkin closet etc. It does have regular USA outlets in case anyone was wondering which was great.

The beach is nice and the people are pretty much friendly some didnt really try that hard and there seemed to be 2 reservation desks we didnt know what either one did? We did not do all inclusive and instead bought food at a local grocery store in Rodney bay $10 cab ride cheap groceries and stocked them in our frigerator in the room. Saved us a ton of money and only ate out at night at the resort restaurant mainly jammers on the beach pretty good food and or went into town. The GROS ISLET jump up on Friday night was fun great local food.

I highly recommend DAL's (tuna and pees in a crossiant type thing) The chicken roti's were okay they have potatos in them or you can get veggie. It is so hard to get around the island, we wanted to rent a car, but there are no street signs, its on the right hand side of the road, crazy drivers, very bumpy. So we did however get a great deal by Aldrin (taxi guy) for $70 each we took a tour of the whole island about a 7 hour trip. Started at Pigeon bay up north down to the Piton volcanos at the southern end.

We ended up at Ladera Resort restaurant overlooking the volcanos so beautiful go and take pictures. My favorite place was Marigot bay, gorgeous place. If I ever come back I would stay here. We had a great time! Hope you enjoy your stay as well.

• Liked — I loved the meditterarn look and feel of the resort very pretty felt like I was in Europe
  • Disliked — The hike up and down the mountain
  • Tips/Secrets — hard to get around island, taxi's expensive wouldnt suggest renting a car unless you want to get lost
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank jillerkitty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,008 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!