The Windjammer Landing resort is a nice retreat, set into the hills surrounding a cove north of Castries. The quality of construction and setting of the resort is top-notch, and the views out over the water and on to Castries across the bay are pretty both day and night.
It also serves as a nice jumping off point for activities on the north side of the island. We had easy access to golf at St. Lucia Golf & Country Club (a respectable layout, if a little unforgiving...don't take your good balls, and be ready to buy a bag of Pro V1s from the groundskeepers who make their secondary income from scavanging for the spheres) and the restaurants and activities of Rodney Bay are just a short drive. (You MUST eat at The Edge in Rodney Bay...the food is superb on every level.) Pigeon Island is just a skip away as well, and a nice spot for a few hours of history and scenic beauty.
The food quality in the four restaurants is quite good, although for dinner our favorite was Papa Don's italian, and for lunch you can't go wrong with the Beachburger from Embers. The wait staff is somewhat hit-or-miss in their level of efficiency and attentiveness, but if you're persistent you can always get what you need.
This is true of the management staff as well. We booked through Expedia, and the listing on that site had wrong information as to which rooms came equipped with a king bed. Because of this confusion, the resort upgraded our room to a villa with a king bed at no extra charge (although it took some cajoling...again, be persistent and pleasant and you can usually get what you want).
Major drawbacks: take heed from all the other reviews about the hillside room locations. This resort is tucked up into a very steep hill, and you'll spend a lot of time on shuttles getting carted back and forth to your room. We were in one of the lowest villas so we could walk it in about 5 minutes, but we definitely got our exercise!
Also, the water is quite warm and there are free watersports at the beach, but this particular cove doesn't have the crystalline blue water you expect from the Caribbean. Other spots on the island do, but for some reason not here.
If you want to see more parts of the island, being in the north side will require some patience. We rented a 4WD car for the week and that made us mobile, but the driving is on the left and the roads are marginal at best, so caution is required. And driving up and down the windy-twisty-pot holed roads is a challange; from Castries to Souffriere is only 28 miles, but they are hard earned and it takes an hour and a half.
Recommendation: Windjammer Landing is as good a place as any if you want to relax on a beach all day, not go very far for food and drink and want a casual ambience. If you want more adventure or to see other things on the island, we would recommend spending half your trip up in the north part, and then another half at one of the resorts by Souffriere where the scenery is even more spectacular, the water is clear for diving, and there is a different sense of adventure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, TravelUp, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries