“What a Great Week!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Virginia
Reviewed June 25, 2006

We knew we were in for a treat when we were picked up in a private van at the airport and took off with all of the Sandals people standing there watching us waiting for their shuttle! We went straight to the Windjammer, about 10 min ride. We were early, it was about 1 and check in wasn't until 3, so we waited in the lobby and had rum punch. When we got our villa, we were upgradded to a 2 bedroom (we originally had a 1 br with plunge pool). The plunge pool was great, any time we felt like cooling off we just jumped in. We were in villa 2, it is on the bottom row of villas near the end, so it was very private. The villa was beautiful, bed comfortable, nice furniture, the AC was fine. We did have some birds come in if we left the doors and windows open, but it was never a problem. The birds are cute and used to it, so they just fly around and don't freak out like a bird here (in VA) would. The beach was ok, we didn't spend a lot of time there. We went on the rainforest tour (GREAT!), the sunset pirate cruise (fun), and the Jammers day sail. We did their little hour long repeat guest thing. It was worth the time to get the money off the tour. Otherwise, the tour would not have been worth the money. We also went snorkeling a few times in 2 different places near the resort. Their boat takes you out, it's about 5 min. They are doing some building, but we didn't find the noise to be a problem at all. The shuttle also was not a problem. We never had to wait for it, and made sure we were ready to go when we called because sometimes it showed up right away. We did the all inclusive meal plan, which we came out about even on but it was nice to not have to worry about money on our honeymoon. We loved Jammer's Bar for lunch, and the Upper Deck and the Dragonfly for dinner. Papa Don's was ok, but nothing spectacular. We can get food like that at home. Room service was fine, we ordered up a couple times. We flew back out of Castaries, the drive was about 2 hours and very beautiful.

On the tours we got a chance to talk to some other people, mostly from the Sandals. We were very glad we didn't stay there. Windjammer is quiet and a great place to be if you want to just hang out and listen to music and kick back. There isn't a lot of "nightlife" other than live music at Jammer's, but that wasn't something we wanted. The family friendly atmosphere really made it a very enjoyable place to be. We loved our week there and would gladly go back, but first we have some other places we want to visit! I would definitely recommend it if you want somewhere quiet and relaxing. We really had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 25, 2006

My husband and I honeymooned at the Windjammer Landing Resort from June 4th through June 11th and had the time of our lives! We had reserved an oceanview room but were upgraded to a one bedroom villa with plunge pool when we arrived! We also received champagne and fresh fruit and flowers to celebrate our honeymoon upon arrival. The villa was amazing with tons of space and incredible views. You do have to take shuttles down to the main pool/restaurants. You just make a call from your room to request a shuttle and it is there really quickly (I think the longest wait we had was 10 minutes). We would recommend all of the restaurants, but we enjoyed the Dragonfly the best! Also be sure to check out the water sports...we had a great time kayaking and learning to sail! We went on the Catamaran Day Sail down the coast of the island. This is a great excursion if you want to see a lot and not pay a small fortune! The catamaran served unlimited beer, rum punch and soft drinks while you cruised down the coast towards the pitons. Once you reach Soufriere, you are taken to a natural waterfall which you can swim under, then to the drive in volcano, and then to a working cocoa plantation for lunch. On the way back to the resort you stop in Marigot Bay and then again for a swim in a little cove. The only part we didn't enjoy was the volcano...it was basically a huge crater that reeks of sulfur! We were all inclusive during our stay and absolutely loved the food and drink! You will not be disappointed with the Windjammer Landing!

17  Thank wakeangel8
Suwanee, GA
Reviewed June 25, 2006

This review is definitely late in posting, however I am planning on booking another vacation at the Windjammer (that should tell you something) and figured....why not!!! I normally do not post reviews, as me and my husband have read many reviews on other resorts that we have stayed at (both positive and negative) and decided to make our own decision!

The Windjammer obviously means a great deal to us because we spent our honeymoon their in May 2002. However, we have traveled around the Caribbean both before and after our honeymoon. Our favorite place is still the Windjammer!!!!

For sake of being too specific (like some reviews can), our stay was wonderful! The only complaint that we had....the stay was too short! The resort is absolutely pristine, beautiful, extremely clean, well maintained, and post card perfect! The views from anywhere on the property are to die for (take your camera wherever you go). We always felt safe (together or alone). Friends and family that viewed our pictures truly could not believe that a place as beautiful as this existed and were jealous that we didn't invite them.

Next, the room/"suite"/"house" that we had was amazing!!! We had a full tiled kitchen, a large dining room, a large but cozy family room, a beautiful bedroom and for me..a large bathroom! The villa was large enough to have as your primary residence. So no small hotel rooms here. The best part of it all though definitely was the porch and private pool. The porch was large enough to have at least 20 people out on and tons of higher end patio furniture was equipped, and have I mentioned the view of the ocean, hills and beach??? The other great part of the villa, it is all opened air if you want it to be (besides the front door). How can you beat pulling the TV out on the porch, sitting in your own private pool, laying on a chaise lounge and watching the Survivor Finale with the faint sounds of waves crashing onto the shore?

Onto other important items of interest....the food!!!!!!! We went the "all-inclusive" route, which this is a rare resort where you have the option of not being "all-inclusive". The food was phenomenal and service was first class. You were never ignored or irritated and your food was prepared just as requested. And like many resorts, you didn't have to make your dinner reservations for the night at 0700 in the morning (bonus for those like me that like to sleep in). The staff was so welcoming, you truly felt like they were long time friends of yours. Seriously, try every place on the resort that serves food because you will not be disappointed. It was towards the end of our stay one afternoon when we came upon the sandwich/ice cream shop. Even the sandwiches were mouth-watering (wish we had found the location before)! Another word of advice, eat at the Italian restaurant...delicious!!! Thanks to that place I am now addicted to brushetta. And although, I like to sleep in...I made sure to make it to the omlette station in the morning (also to die for).

As for the ammenities and activities...they have everything you would want or like to do. The thing that I really liked about the resort (after reflecting and comparing to other places we have gone), they don't over do it. Meaning, some resorts tend to think that every minute past 0800 to 1800 has to be filled with events, loud music, games and contests to occupy their guests. The Windjammer doesn't use that approach, although there are plenty of things to do and participate in. You can actually lay out on the beach or at the pool and peacefully read a book or take a nap. And don't get me wrong, I like the best of both worlds (I don't want it to be a ghost town and I also sometimes would like some peace!), but they manage to create a good combination of the two extremes. My favorite part is that you never felt rushed, pressured, in a hurry, or that you were missing out on something. And whatever you do, do not miss an opportunity to indulge in their custom beverage, Piton Beer! Delicious :) Me and my husband actually made a lot of friends on this trip that we still keep in contact with today. And as I have said before, we have gone to many places and resorts and not met this many people and we truly think that the whole "relaxed atmosphere" given off at the Windjammer allowed this to happen.

Just as an FYI, take the day trip to Castries...very fun and educational to see the capital of St. Lucia. Also, if you are there on a Friday night, do not miss "Jump Up"! A blast to be had by all. Take the trip to Souifere (spelling?) also educational and fun. We went snorkeling a few times and were not disappointed either if that is something you are interested in. You can take a day trip to Martinique (which we didn't, one of our regrets), but the cost wasn't too bad and to be able to say that you visited 2 countries while you were on vacation is pretty cool. You can actually see Martinique from the villas on a clear day. Another thing we would recommend that we didn't do, is to fly into Castries. We flew into the south of St. Lucia, and it took around a hour to get to the resort. We didn't mind the drive (unlike some others we have taken..i.e. Jamaica) because the scenery was beautiful and it was just us and a driver that showed us landmarks, but now we have seen it and would like to fly in closer to the resort. And another random thought (and I don't know why this is), is my husband can not lay out all day long like me without being covered head to toe in SPF 30. For some strange reason (St Lucia Mystery maybe), he did it here! After 2 days he didn't wear sunscreen and didn't burn (just browned), and believe me it was sunny the whole time we were there. I don't remember it raining.

And for those of you that have stuck around long enough to read this...God Bless You. I did not intend for this review to become a novel. I just got carried away and excited when all the thoughts of the Windjammer and St. Lucia bounced in my head. I know you don't know me, but if I could guarantee a vacation of a lifetime...this is the one!!!! I am currently on here now searching for deals so me and my husband can celebrate our 5 Year Anniversary at the same place we celebrated our honeymoon! That should be a testiment in itself!

• Stayed: May 2002
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My husband and I recently spent a week (our honeymoon) at the Windjammer Landing Resort in St. Lucia and could not have been more pleased.
On arrival we were handed a drink of choice and escorted to the reception desk. Check-in was very easy and the staff could not have been friendlier. Shuttles take you up to your rooms...Windjammer is beautiful and built into one of St. Lucia's many mountainsides. Every room at Windjammer is actually a villa and is gorgeous. The views from your large patio are breathtaking. You have your very own kitchen, living room, bathroom with open air shower, and bedroom. Although you don't need your kichen because all of the 5 restaurants at Windjammer are phenomenal. From Dragonfly with its Asian/Mediterranean food to Papa Don's Italian, to Upper Decks wonderful seafood....every meal we ate was fabulous. Even Jammer's and Ember's beach bar and grill were great. They make a great cheeseburger!
I can't say enough how fabulous and friendly the staff is, especially Jeff. You can find him at Jammer's bar or Ember's beachside. I would recommend taking the Sunset Cruise and Jeff might even accompany you there too and provide great conversation and entertainment. He made our night when he met us at the famous St. Lucia street party on Friday night at Gros Islet. Even though we were just tourists he acted like we had been friends forever and enjoyed the party with us.
Excursions are great and the resort will provide many options for you, but if you are looking for something a little more private and one on one you might look for Benton. You can find him down on the dock by water sports. He will be your personal tour guide and take you any where you may want to go in St. Lucia. He knows all the good photo spots and attractions. With Benton you get to see a little more of the beautiful island than you may on a hotel excursion.
Overall Windjammer Landing is one of the best places I have ever stayed. It is great for an island get-a-way and we will definitely be back. Maybe next time we will bring some friends and stay in one of the larger villas. We'll just have to see.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2006

June 21, 2006
N. Charles

I've travelled to many places and always thought, vacationing on the Resorts in Disney, Florida was heavenly, until I found Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia. I arrived when it was dark on January 2, 2006, so I didn't get to see my surroundings. I would also like you to know that, I found WindjammerLanding, the night before I flew into St.Lucia with the help of my daughter. I told her, to just book it, I really needed a place, I would stay the night and find something better the next day.What I experienced, when I woke up the next morning was simply beautiful. The view from my Villa was incredible and relaxing. I called the front desk to let them know that I would spend my vacation at this Resort. I spent my first week at Windjammer Landing, went to St. Vincent for a few days, and came back to Windjammer Landing to stay for about nine more days.

The service was the greatest. I ordered room service a few times and it was always prompt and delicious. They have a great team of friendly housekeeping staff - Thanks Matilda. My experience at dining on the resort, was always great. There is also the wonderful addition of having Ambassadors dedicated to checking on the guests almost daily, to see if they can assist you in anything that might make your stay more enjoyable - Thanks Dee. I enjoyed the resort shuttle service that took you around the resort anytime you needed it -24hrs service. The drivers are the best. I had the pleasure of spending time by the beach, and the view is incredible. I enjoyed this vacation the best, because I was able to enjoy it, at my own speed with peace, tranquilty and the dedicated team of Windjammer Landing. I enjoyed the Villa setup, because I always felt that I had lots of privacy. The bedroom, bathroom and living room are very spacious. There was also enough space to have a group over for drinks on the terrace.

I have recommended Windjammer Landing to all my family and friends in Ottawa, Canada. I can't stop singing the praises of this Jewel, I found in St. Lucia. I would stay at Windjammer again and again. I will definately be back soon. This was my best vacation ever! Windjammer Landing I salute You ! I would like to add, that the reason this Resort is the best in my book, it's because you have the best staff, they were the most friendly, willing and helpful staff, I've met in a long time. They were always ready to assist you in whatever you needed. Again, many thanks. Hope to see you soon!

• Stayed: January 2006
11  Thank Sonje
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My wife and 2 children stayed at the Windjammer in a one bedroom villa (no plunge pool)
on June 10th. We had a pull out couch, which for an adult is uncomfortable but passable for children.This is considered the start of the rainy season, it would rain for 5 minutes then get 1 hour of sun , we were there a week and we had 3 days of straight sun. If you have kids between 4 and 10 yrs this is the place for you, mostly because this is a resort that has everthing a family needs. The kids club is adequate,but if your kids are the only ones there in can become boring for them. We went to pick up our kids and they didn't want to leave because they had made friends there.The water sports are very good, but be prepared to wait somtimes for motorized water sports. The house-keeping was right on. When we called for a shuttle to take us to the beach(which took sometimes 15 seconds to max 4 minutes) the maid was waiting to clean our room. The beach was cleaned every morning and beach chairs placed in line. The staff are very polite and there to help. All inclusive is good but compells you to drink and eat to much. Which is what we did. Food was usually quite good. No lines or waiting for reservations. The first two weeks of june are considered slow. Note: We are first time TIME-Share owners from Intrawest and this was a bonus week for us,we enjoyed it very much. The week we spent wasn't enough. Again I must say the staff and people of St Lucia are special.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank anna-kennedie
Reviewed June 3, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Windjammer Landing and we have a great time. The staff was awesome! We only left the resort once and that was to go on an island tour. The beaches were extremely clean and you can get serviced on the beach. Everything you need is right there on the resort. I recommend getting the All-Inclusive package, $100 per day. Meals can get expensive and a 10% gratuity fee and an 8% government tax is added to everything. All drinks are included in the pricing so a hundred dollars US can go pretty quickly. If you are not in an estate villa, I recommend taking plenty of mosquito repellent. The bathrooms have open areas cut into the wall so that you can see the ocean. And, the mosquitoes know it. They are definitely a new breed. Otherwise, everything else was great. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: May 2006
15  Thank bigswole05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!