“Would I/We go back??”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
UK
“Would I/We go back??”
Reviewed August 13, 2005

My wife and I have only just returned after spending 14 nights at this resort. Arriving on Saturday 30 July thru 13 August. We arranged our accommodation via RCI (a timeshare exchange company) as we own at 2 resorts based in the caribbean.
We found the accommdation as the photos attached will prove was one of the best we have have stayed in. I have not included the bed or bathroom, but do not read anything into this as I did not think anyone would want to see them.
The three restaurants offer a varied cuisine, in my/our opinion the Dragonfly winning with the Upper Deck a close second.
The minimart has a varied selection but at a price!!
The housekeeper I/we cannot sing anything but praise for the things she herself done too make our stay a "joy" see photo 8, of the bed decoration.
If I had issues they would be these.
1. For our anniversary I had booked a table at the Dragonfly, unfortunately there was also a wedding reception in progress when we arrived which spoilt the evening. The staff had to "serve" the wedding and the resorts guests. We had to wait over an hour for our meal, 30 mintues for our pre-dinner drink and had to remind them them to bring the bread.
2. We received 2 telephone calls at the start of our second week reminding us of the oriantation meeting and in one instance asked how our first night was at the resort. What happened to organization??
Do take the 90 minute presentation for timeshare and as the gift take the "jammers" day sail.
Would I/we return only if the administartion pulls its socks up!!
The resort itself is wonderful along with the staff.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank Neartoretirement

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
Leicestershire
Reviewed August 10, 2005

We stayed at WJL from 24/07/05 to 7/8/05. We were originally booked to stay at St James Club but they shut for refurbishment and so we were transferred to WJL. WJL is a beautiful resort, the restaurants, rooms and surroundings are immaculate and the staff are exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble. My children aged 10 & 8 had a fantastic time and made lots of new friends. Special mention for the activity co-ordinators Alvin, Jason and Malone who were never too busy for a chat or to play endless games of beach table tennis with my son. The journey from the airport in Henorawa is a bit bumpy and takes 90 minutes so we booked a helicopter transfer for the return journey - although expensive it was a brilliant experience and it takes 15 minutes. We tried all the restaurants, the children preffered Embers for lunch (thanks to Daniel for looking after them) whilst we prefered Jammers. Papa Dons is lovely, much more laid back and smaller therefore more intimate. The Upper Deck does great buffets and also has a lovely menu on non-buffet nights. I can not find enough words to describe how wonderful WJL and would love to return in the future.

12 Thank 26travellers
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My wife and two sons (5 and 2) stayed at the WJL from July 8 through 15. Despite arriving a day later due to connection issues in Barbados, we were pleasantly surprised when we received an upgrade to a three bedroom villa with plunge pool after having booked a standard one bedroom with no plunge pool. We were in villa 3 which is a five minute walk from the activity center(s), so we didn't rely on the shuttle service too often although it is extremely efficient (10 second to 5 minute response when it was summoned). We were assigned an "ambassador" to look after our every need during our stay and fortunately we didn't need her services as she never followed up with us after the introduction.

Our only concern with the villa was the lack of stair gates for the two year old as the flooring is all tile and the stairways rather steep. There were actually slats built in the stairway walls at the bottom of each staircase (puzzling since one would expect these at the top of each stairway), and we did not find the planks that would slip in to them to create a barrier. Fortunately, he's very coordinated and we always escorted him up and down, but a tumble would be bad enough for an adult, more so for a little one. I suspect this would be an issue for most of the villas as even the one bedrooms must have at least a staircase or two.

As with other comments, the living areas are all open allowing the armies of mosquitos to invade freely (the sleeping rooms are all equipped with bug spray and vaporizer tablets; however, the nets over each bed are the only real deterrent). There are fans in the living/dining rooms which keep the temperatures tolerable and don't leave ANY food out if you don't want it procured by the friendly, but persistent, avian visitors. While we very comfortable, had a lots of privacy and beautiful views of the bay, full enclosure and a washer/dryer would have made this villa perfect (can't have everything!).

Prior to leaving, my wife had found some $100 WJL spa vouchers on Ebay being auctioned for $5.00 each, so she enjoyed a few hours of pampering and I did too via the pocketbook....

With the exception of a VERY bad seafood buffet one night which was promptly reimbursed, the food was good and fairly priced. We ended up eating lunch/dinner frequently at Jammers because of the convenience and more kid friendly menu (although we were repeating some dishes towards the end of the week). We would have breakfast in the room as the small sundry/grocery store had a decent selection of breads and pastries (bring you own cereal though--it's $6.00 for a small box of anything. *Note: we brought LOTS of snacks and powdered drinks for the kids and while there is a large grocery store at Rodney Bay, it's a $20 taxi ride from the resort).

The recreational activities were fine and the 5 year old frequented the kids club often which offers day long activities, a large playground and bouncy castle. We did not experience any of the water hazards reported by others although there was briefly a patch of transiting infant jellyfish (could barely see them) which seemed to annoy those with sensitive skin... The beach is decent, we always found lounges at any time of the day, and the vendors are not intrusive. The only minor detraction was the continuous background music coming from the pool area just above the beach, typically calypso or European dance music. A little bit was fine, but we finally ended up moving to the far end of the beach to have some relative peace.

The evening entertainment was varied and energetic which allowed parents to relax with a drink while the little ones played/ran on the beach.

(We also did the day catamaran tour to Soufriere which was a good value and semi-interesting; if you have little ones, explain to them in advance that they are not going to see an exploding cone of lava at the "drive-in" volcano!).

Overall, a beautiful resort, but a bit confined--we didn't realize how much until we moved to the Royal St. Lucian on Rodney Bay for the last 4 days of our stay. While a definite downgrade in opulence, decor and service(more of an upscale Howard Johnson's and definitely 3--not 5--stars as they proclaim), the beach was very expansive and there was a plethora of restaurants within walking distance.

The WJL is a safe, friendly and well equipped resort for families. One week was plenty for us and if returning as a couple, I would probably try Sandals or the Jalousie Plantation instead (albeit more pricey).

Have fun!

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tallahassee
Reviewed July 31, 2005

What can I say, but I found paradise!!! It’s located on St. Lucia and it’s a place called The Windjammer Landing Resort!!

First let me say - I am very picky about my resorts and the Libra in me loves the finer things in life. I have given the WJL a 5 star rating for a Carribean resort, (compared to American top resorts it would be a 4). I have been to many resorts in the Carribean and many different islands so I know my Carribean resorts and this one, The Windjammer is one of the best.

I spent many months reading the reviews about the WJL resort on this site, both good and bad, and quite honestly I am shocked at the negative reviews, even the most recent posts. My wife and I along with our two teenage kids stayed at the WJL July 23 -30, 2005 - all of us have nothing but high praise for the resort.

The resort has so much to offer families. There is always something going on to entertain both kids and adults. I must say I am impressed with the “all-inclusive” plan. Everything (except jet skis) are included. The kids and I enjoyed the paddle boats, sail boats, sea kayaks, all types of water skiing, banana boat rides, a water trampoline and the most fun, the water tube rides. The employees at the water sports hut are very helpful and really want you to have a great time. They also offer introductory scuba lessons for free but we were so busy we didn’t have time to enjoy this activity.

On the A.I. plan, kids feel like grown ups. They can order whatever they want from food to drinks and they even can sign their own bill. It makes the kids feel so grown being able to sign their own bill. For the adults, the A.I. plan is wonderful. Everything on the menu (food) is yours to try. We ate at all four restaurants and each had its own individual cuisine. We really enjoyed the Dragon Fly. Drinks include all call and well brands and non alcoholic. You must try the Piton and Carib beer - both locally brewed and quite tasty.

Now for the villas. We stayed in #133, a family two bedroom suite and as you can see from the pictures, quite roomy and very nice. It was really cool to have our own “house” for the week. The resort set up makes you feel like you are staying in a seaside neighborhood. Our kids made friends with quite a few of the other teenagers staying at the resort and we felt very safe letting them walk around by themselves and taking the shuttle to go over to another villa to visit their new friends. Also - don’t worry about getting a villa with a private plunge pool. They do look nice but for the extra money, I think not worth it. We did not have one and did not need it. Our kids ALWAYS wanted to be down at the main pool or at the beach hanging out with their new friends. My wife and I loved the beach with the fabulous view, we hardly ever were at the villa during the day - everything we needed was pool side or at the beach.

The villa itself was nicely furnished with daily maid service to clean up any mess that we made and they even had turndown service at night. All beds come with a mosquito net but quite honestly we hardly ever saw any bugs inside the villa. We did bring some DEET (30%) wipes for when we went out to dinner and never once got bit up. My wife did forget to put the DEET on one night and only got bit 2 times. The resort sprays the grounds every couple of days to kill any bugs and they even provide you with bug repellant plug ins that keep the bugs away each night. Yes, you will probably get bit up if you don’t bring DEET - so get some before you go and just spray your clothes and skin before you go out at night.

The resort staff as a hole were super friendly, in fact, everyone on the island seemed to be very nice. I recommend taking the “land & sea package.” We truly enjoyed being able to see St. Lucia’s interior and then returned by catamaran right to the resort, enjoying all the wonderful beaches along the way. We also took a day trip to Martinique and what beautiful island that is. The whole staff of the “Flying Ray” made the whole day a fun experience. The WJL does offer other excursions but quite honestly there is so much to do on the property - you may never want to leave - but do make sure you see the island and it’s lovely attractions.

I also want to say this about the WJL resort. Yes, it is a time share and they do want you to join “the club.” I told the gentleman at our 10am (next day) resort meeting - that I was not interested and was only here to enjoy my stay. If I wanted to join I might contact them at a later date. That’s it, that’s all I said and he LEFT me alone.

As you can see, we truly enjoyed our stay on St. Lucia and enjoyed meeting new friends (hello, to all of our British and Ireland mates) while staying at the WJL. I highly recommend you choose this resort if you have a family. The resort is geared more towards families but we did meet a few newlyweds and they all seemed to be having a great time - they just sunbathed further down the beach away from the kids.

To see all of our St. Lucia pictures, paste this link in your browser and hopefully the many pictures I took will convince you to come to the island and stay in paradise at the Windjammer Landing Resort!!

Randy

26 Thank rtsunset
South Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Hello everyone:
Sorry to be a party pooper but our experience at WJL was not the best it could be. Like you perhaps, I spent tons of hours reading everybit and searching every Google nook and crany for info and pictures about WJL.
I spent my honeymoon at WJL a week July 11-18, 2005

The overall resort was great with such a beautiful view of Labrolette Bay.
It was picture post card. Myself and my new wife had some issues withe Hurrican Emily but that in no way is influencing my less than perfect adventure.

I would like to break my reviews into two key area: 1) Resort/Villa Management and 2)Food, Activity.

First the Food and Actitivy. The ads and postings are everything they are cracked up to be. Food service was excellent! Service was super. I never had any issues with "relaxed Carribean pace" or rude staff as previous entries. Enjoy the Rum Punch on a daily basis if you can and sample every restaruant for every meal if possible. From the great breakfast buffet to the fancy dinners at the Dragon Fly.

One time at the DragonFly I dropped my napkin and the waiter came over almost immediatley to give me a new one. I gave him an extra secret tip.
Tips are included as part of the 10% andthe resort staff -- everyone from server to maid -- share that 10% kitty everyday.

All give some more nice info later.

Take advantage of the SPA and the little work out room! I had a Sweedish massage with Sumitra and it was great and very relaxing. It helped with the sun burn.

However our bad experience centered around the villa scheduling, billing service areas. Learn from my experience if possible.

The key issue we had was that we were staying a week but the staff screwed our schedule up in a way that we were forced to leave to another villa mid-week. Monday-Monday. On Wed, I came down for a morning beverage after waking up and found a team of maids cleaning up the room. A staff member stated that she thought we had checked out.
I said to the lead person, "that's new to me and can you please leave".

The resort staff screwed up our schedule! They had the owners of the Villa coming in on Friday and we had to leave. WJL comped us in any way we could (we asked for a Full day sufiere cruise), but the damage was done.
It's a hassle of great porportion having to packup and unpack the same stay.

Also, constant repairs and painting were going on outside the villa during our stay. We first got there and we couldn't find the key to lock the patio doors. My new wife felt uneasy and we ended up having a security guard posted near the area.

Also, some time the pool guy came in the morning to clean the plunge pool.
My new wife who was walking around only in a night shirt felt very uncomfortable since the patio was pretty much 'open air". The jacuzzi leaked a lot right over the main bed.

We got several wake up calls when we didn't ask for them. Not a good thing on one's honeymoon. Oh by the way, we were supposed to have the honeymoon package apon arrival and it was forgotten.

Learn from my experience:
*when you first check in, confirm that you have your place without fear of having to move.
* take the phone off the hook in the morning.
* try not too miss the orientation at 10am if you can. If you need to sleep in late, then askthe resort staff to give you info later. After a long plane trip and getting into the resort very late, the first "day" on my honeymoon, I really didn't want to be disturbed and wanted to relax. There is no such thing as a "do not disturb door hanger".
* Bring lots of moquito replent, they come into the room and will get you.
* Take advise from previous postings--check your bill a day prior to depature. We had lots of mistakes.
* We came in Monday about 10pm because of delayed flights, I asked for the all inclusive to start breakfast Tuesday and push it back. They said they would do that. However, check out time, it was never recorded and we had to go over several times with several different people. It was fixed but very aggravating.
* Don't miss the Sufriere Full Day cruise with Fon Deux luncheon!!!!
* Don't get bugged out about the bumpy road to the resort.
* Drink lots of Rum Punch!

I'll post more info later. Anyone ask me anything and challenge me on antying. It wasn't a bad place.

...oh by the way...when we went to Pigeon Island (which is kool!) we stopped in and got a tour of Sandals. It's the one with the swim up bar pool, etc that you see on all the TV ads and books. Nice place, simpler, but WJL had a lot more character.

27 Thank Gift_Certificate
georgia
Reviewed July 27, 2005

we visited the windjammer June14th -21st. In the first 24 hours, my 2 year old was stung by the unknown in the ocean water on his privates. I had to take him to the nurse and get some numbing medicine for him. Two hours later my 4 year old stepped on a sea urchent and had to be taken to the nurse. He had 15 sea urchents in the bottom of his feet. We had to rub soft wax 3 times a day and urinate on them every 2 hours for 48 hours. Later that day a friend who was with us went snorkeling to see what was all in the water and just happen to see an eel about 10 yards in the water. Three days later one of the most venomous sea snakes came up to the beach and everyone had to get out of they water so the could scoop it out just to throw it down towards the rock barrier.
Now for the villa, we stayed in a 4 bedroom with a plunge pool and it was great. Our pool was way bigger than any of the other plunge pools we seen. Air conditions could have been better.
The weather was great, it would rain every morning between 4 and 6am.
The sun rises very early, around 4:30am which was different. Couldn't sleep very well with the sun glaring in our eyes.
Food at windjammer was okay. Food off the resort was better, The Chart House pasta delicious.
The jackhammer beside our villa was awful and the staff would not do anything about it, so we listened to if 5 out of 8 days starting at 6:00am every morning.
Most of the staff was friendly and accomodating. The shuttle drivers were very nice. We had just a few times we waited on the shuttle 20 minutes or more which was not good considering it was 100 degrees.
We were there over Father's Day and a 2 man band played at the bar and he sang so peaceful and it just was delightful. He needed to be hired out full time.
We took the helicopter ride to the resort which was fast and easy but the helicopter was running about an hour or so behind so therefore we stood out in the heat with our luggage waiting. On the way back we hired a taxi off the resort, which was much cheaper, bigger taxi to tour us all the way back to the airport. That was the best, the botancial garden is amazing, the volcano was okay not what I or my 4 year old expected, the rainforest was a breathe of fresh air, the pitons were breathe taking. It took almost 2 1/2 hours to get back but well worth all the stops and scenery.
Overall, a very lush island, I have never seen so much tropical scenery, but I probably will never go back
I just feel it is one of those places you're glad you went but will never go back. The windjammer is a 3 star resort in my opinion, could have been updated in its appearance especially the pool area. The ocean water is the scariest I've ever seen and the beach was okay if you like brown sand.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank jrae
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

We vacationed at the WJL Villas from June 14 thru 21. The villa was a four-bedroom unit and was very nice. The plunge pool was actually about 15' by 30' and was able to handle six adults and four kids. We traveled with another family and had a great time at the WJL. Our only complaint was that our boys both were bitten while swimming in the water. Our four-year old stepped on a sea urchin and had to take extreme measures to get them to come out of his feet (stand in urine). This is actually a memory that will be looked back on as being hilarious. This was in no way a complaint against the WJL, just the water. All of the staff was courteous and friendly and the atmosphere at the pool was really good. There is a kid's pool that our 2-year old really enjoyed. There is a daily volleyball game in the adult pool where everyone is invited to participate. St. Lucia was the the greenest island we've been to and probably the most beautiful. The ride from the airport to WJL takes quite a while but the scenery is worth it. We took the helicopter from the Hewannora airport to the airport just south of Rodney Bay. I can't say if I'd recommend that due to the high cost but it did allow for some great views of St. Lucia. I would definitely recommend the Windjammer for anyone that is considering a vacation in St. Lucia.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,079 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!