“3 out of 5 stars - Wonderful place but we had issues”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
South Jersey
“3 out of 5 stars - Wonderful place but we had issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2005

Hello everyone:
Sorry to be a party pooper but our experience at WJL was not the best it could be. Like you perhaps, I spent tons of hours reading everybit and searching every Google nook and crany for info and pictures about WJL.
I spent my honeymoon at WJL a week July 11-18, 2005

The overall resort was great with such a beautiful view of Labrolette Bay.
It was picture post card. Myself and my new wife had some issues withe Hurrican Emily but that in no way is influencing my less than perfect adventure.

I would like to break my reviews into two key area: 1) Resort/Villa Management and 2)Food, Activity.

First the Food and Actitivy. The ads and postings are everything they are cracked up to be. Food service was excellent! Service was super. I never had any issues with "relaxed Carribean pace" or rude staff as previous entries. Enjoy the Rum Punch on a daily basis if you can and sample every restaruant for every meal if possible. From the great breakfast buffet to the fancy dinners at the Dragon Fly.

One time at the DragonFly I dropped my napkin and the waiter came over almost immediatley to give me a new one. I gave him an extra secret tip.
Tips are included as part of the 10% andthe resort staff -- everyone from server to maid -- share that 10% kitty everyday.

All give some more nice info later.

Take advantage of the SPA and the little work out room! I had a Sweedish massage with Sumitra and it was great and very relaxing. It helped with the sun burn.

However our bad experience centered around the villa scheduling, billing service areas. Learn from my experience if possible.

The key issue we had was that we were staying a week but the staff screwed our schedule up in a way that we were forced to leave to another villa mid-week. Monday-Monday. On Wed, I came down for a morning beverage after waking up and found a team of maids cleaning up the room. A staff member stated that she thought we had checked out.
I said to the lead person, "that's new to me and can you please leave".

The resort staff screwed up our schedule! They had the owners of the Villa coming in on Friday and we had to leave. WJL comped us in any way we could (we asked for a Full day sufiere cruise), but the damage was done.
It's a hassle of great porportion having to packup and unpack the same stay.

Also, constant repairs and painting were going on outside the villa during our stay. We first got there and we couldn't find the key to lock the patio doors. My new wife felt uneasy and we ended up having a security guard posted near the area.

Also, some time the pool guy came in the morning to clean the plunge pool.
My new wife who was walking around only in a night shirt felt very uncomfortable since the patio was pretty much 'open air". The jacuzzi leaked a lot right over the main bed.

We got several wake up calls when we didn't ask for them. Not a good thing on one's honeymoon. Oh by the way, we were supposed to have the honeymoon package apon arrival and it was forgotten.

Learn from my experience:
*when you first check in, confirm that you have your place without fear of having to move.
* take the phone off the hook in the morning.
* try not too miss the orientation at 10am if you can. If you need to sleep in late, then askthe resort staff to give you info later. After a long plane trip and getting into the resort very late, the first "day" on my honeymoon, I really didn't want to be disturbed and wanted to relax. There is no such thing as a "do not disturb door hanger".
* Bring lots of moquito replent, they come into the room and will get you.
* Take advise from previous postings--check your bill a day prior to depature. We had lots of mistakes.
* We came in Monday about 10pm because of delayed flights, I asked for the all inclusive to start breakfast Tuesday and push it back. They said they would do that. However, check out time, it was never recorded and we had to go over several times with several different people. It was fixed but very aggravating.
* Don't miss the Sufriere Full Day cruise with Fon Deux luncheon!!!!
* Don't get bugged out about the bumpy road to the resort.
* Drink lots of Rum Punch!

I'll post more info later. Anyone ask me anything and challenge me on antying. It wasn't a bad place.

...oh by the way...when we went to Pigeon Island (which is kool!) we stopped in and got a tour of Sandals. It's the one with the swim up bar pool, etc that you see on all the TV ads and books. Nice place, simpler, but WJL had a lot more character.

27 Thank Gift_Certificate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2005

we visited the windjammer June14th -21st. In the first 24 hours, my 2 year old was stung by the unknown in the ocean water on his privates. I had to take him to the nurse and get some numbing medicine for him. Two hours later my 4 year old stepped on a sea urchent and had to be taken to the nurse. He had 15 sea urchents in the bottom of his feet. We had to rub soft wax 3 times a day and urinate on them every 2 hours for 48 hours. Later that day a friend who was with us went snorkeling to see what was all in the water and just happen to see an eel about 10 yards in the water. Three days later one of the most venomous sea snakes came up to the beach and everyone had to get out of they water so the could scoop it out just to throw it down towards the rock barrier.
Now for the villa, we stayed in a 4 bedroom with a plunge pool and it was great. Our pool was way bigger than any of the other plunge pools we seen. Air conditions could have been better.
The weather was great, it would rain every morning between 4 and 6am.
The sun rises very early, around 4:30am which was different. Couldn't sleep very well with the sun glaring in our eyes.
Food at windjammer was okay. Food off the resort was better, The Chart House pasta delicious.
The jackhammer beside our villa was awful and the staff would not do anything about it, so we listened to if 5 out of 8 days starting at 6:00am every morning.
Most of the staff was friendly and accomodating. The shuttle drivers were very nice. We had just a few times we waited on the shuttle 20 minutes or more which was not good considering it was 100 degrees.
We were there over Father's Day and a 2 man band played at the bar and he sang so peaceful and it just was delightful. He needed to be hired out full time.
We took the helicopter ride to the resort which was fast and easy but the helicopter was running about an hour or so behind so therefore we stood out in the heat with our luggage waiting. On the way back we hired a taxi off the resort, which was much cheaper, bigger taxi to tour us all the way back to the airport. That was the best, the botancial garden is amazing, the volcano was okay not what I or my 4 year old expected, the rainforest was a breathe of fresh air, the pitons were breathe taking. It took almost 2 1/2 hours to get back but well worth all the stops and scenery.
Overall, a very lush island, I have never seen so much tropical scenery, but I probably will never go back
I just feel it is one of those places you're glad you went but will never go back. The windjammer is a 3 star resort in my opinion, could have been updated in its appearance especially the pool area. The ocean water is the scariest I've ever seen and the beach was okay if you like brown sand.

10 Thank jrae
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

We vacationed at the WJL Villas from June 14 thru 21. The villa was a four-bedroom unit and was very nice. The plunge pool was actually about 15' by 30' and was able to handle six adults and four kids. We traveled with another family and had a great time at the WJL. Our only complaint was that our boys both were bitten while swimming in the water. Our four-year old stepped on a sea urchin and had to take extreme measures to get them to come out of his feet (stand in urine). This is actually a memory that will be looked back on as being hilarious. This was in no way a complaint against the WJL, just the water. All of the staff was courteous and friendly and the atmosphere at the pool was really good. There is a kid's pool that our 2-year old really enjoyed. There is a daily volleyball game in the adult pool where everyone is invited to participate. St. Lucia was the the greenest island we've been to and probably the most beautiful. The ride from the airport to WJL takes quite a while but the scenery is worth it. We took the helicopter from the Hewannora airport to the airport just south of Rodney Bay. I can't say if I'd recommend that due to the high cost but it did allow for some great views of St. Lucia. I would definitely recommend the Windjammer for anyone that is considering a vacation in St. Lucia.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2005

My fiancee and I went to the resort with another couple and we all absolutely loved it. We stayed in a 2-bedroom villa with plunge pool -- pay the extra cash and get a villa with its own pool, it's worth it! It's very hot and humid in St Lucia, and you'll want to take a random dip when at your room. The kitchen is fully equipped, so leave your blenders at home (we brought ours to make margaritas)! The resort is gorgeous, especially the landscaping. The villas have a rustic feel, and our integrated into the environment so do not expect central air and refined hotel accomodations. You're in the tropics so just go with it! The bedrooms do have air-conditioners, thankfully. The bugs are bad, but they supply you with repellents for the rooms. Bring some for yourself, though. The hills are very steep, but there's a great shuttle service to take you to the main buildings and beach. Service is outstanding and the food was very good, much better than typical all-inclusive resorts we've been to, and we travel frequently. Yes, we did the all-inclusive and it's completely worth it, especially if you like your fruity cocktails and not thinking about money while you're on vacation. Plus, you get bottles of water for free, and you'll want to stock up. Dragonfly is fabulous restaurant, and I'm a discerning New Yorker who loves good food! The resort caters to all ages, and we found that suitable to us. The beach is very pretty. This is a great place to drink some fruity cocktails, soak in the sun, and just relax. St Lucia is gorgeous, go on one of their excursions!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mobile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2005

Anyone with a bad review of the windjammer needs a vacation. This resort is the picture of carribbean charm. Dont take a taxi to see the island. If you are a little adventurous, hire the local that shows up each day in front of the resort in the bay to take you on a all day boat ride. Definately the highlight of our trip. For a little more than taking one of those catamarans with about sixty people on it, you can go anywhere on the island and stay where you want for as long a you want. Without the crowds. Just tell "Levi" that Ron sent you and he will give you a discount. Or as he likes to be called "Dr. Feel Good". Make him take you on top of the mountain, near the Pitons, to Stonefield for lunch. You wont regret it. And you will not regret staying at the Windjammer.

13 Thank superron
siler city,nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

My husband and I just returned from the WJL and had a wonderful experience. I'd read some of the negitive reviews along with the positive ones and chose to believe the latter and they were certainly correct. We travel often to the Caribbean and Bermuda, staying at many of the best reosrts, and WJL ranks at the top. From the minute we were met at the airport to the time we returned to the airport everyone was friendly and extremely helpful. I'd booked a 1 BR villa w/ a plunge pool and we were upgraded to magnificent 2BR villa w/ plunge pool. The villa was clean and well decorated and the view was heaven. The food was so delicious that we changed our plans to dine out and wish we'd booked the all-inclusive plan. We took two excursions, the sunset cruise on the Brig Unicorn and the Jammers day sail and both were excellent and well worth the money. While we were there Hurricane Emily threatened the island the the resort was forced to take precautions. The staff handled the potential threat with professionalism and keep the guests well-informed. Each guest is given an Ambassador to contact as needed throughout their stay with any questions or assistance which is a great help and made us feel we had someone 24/7. I cannot say enough positive superlatives about WJL and St. Lucia too and hope others are lucky enough to experience it's charm and delight for themselves. We certainly plan to return soon and maybe take the kids this time.

12 Thank NCTravel007
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2005

My fiance just returned from a week vacation at the Windjammer Landing resort and loved every minute of it! The food and drink were delicious, our room had a gorgeous view of the ocean and the staff were very friendly and attentive. The beach is no longer under construction and very private (if that's what you seek). There are also quite a lot of activities for kids. My fiance and I visited on the all inclusive plan so we ate at all of the restaurants and bars. They were great, especially Papa Doms, Jammers, & Dragonfly where all had beautiful ocean views. In addition, there was great music every night and activities planned throughout the day for those who wanted more than solely laying by the pool and on the beach. Some activities included St. Lucian dance lessons, water aerobics, crab races, & tropical drink making. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing and fun vacation . . . we will definitely return.

7 Thank KHunsinger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,056 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!