“I miss the Windjammer!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“I miss the Windjammer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2005

Spent our honeymoon at the Windjammer, it was the perfect spot! We stayed in 141B, an oceanview room, which was clean and comfortable. Couldn't justify the expense of a villa, when there were only two of us and hello! You are in St Lucia, it's a tropical paradise, so who wants to be indoors? The service was truly outstanding, the food great and I am still weeping for those banana daquaris and Piton beer! The island has a lot to offer outside the resort and the tour desk will help you see it all, they arranged a hike in the Pitons with only 1 day notice. Definitely do not miss Soufriere and make sure to snorkel! Not sure I would do the all inclusive again, I spent most of the trip feeling full - too much food! If you just ate as you liked at the restaurants all week you'd probably come in under the daily all inclusive rate - it is more like $100 US after taxes and service per day. Also enjoyed the other guests - from UK and other countries, some Americans, a nice mix of families and couples. Low key group but not dead in the evening. I don't consider myself the resort type but I loved every minute at the Windjammer!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2005

Before I went on the trip I checked several websites to read comments about the Windjammer Resort to attempt to get a feel for the resort. On mostly every website I went to, the Windjammer is listed as a 4-star hotel. After visiting the resort my general impression of the hotel is that if you are the type of person that likes to be closer to nature and the native population, then you will think this hotel is great. Personally I prefer a more "Home away from Home" feel. I prefer a slightly more commercialized environment. This was nothing like home. The beds in the rooms had mosquito nets over them. There were local A/C units in the bedrooms only. Some of the people I went on the trip with stuffed towels under their doors so that the local insect and lizard popluation would not be able to get in their rooms. The setting of this resort is absolutely beautiful. The customer service was pretty good. But the best word I would use to describe the resort overall is "Quaint".

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2005

We arrived at the Windjammer on the 24th April. The beach was under going an extension, there were bull dozers on the beach and the noise was unbearable.

We had a one bedroom villa which was ok, but stayed in better.

Pool area busy, loud and commercial.

Restaurants ok, Papa Doms the best.

Staff rude and constantly trying to sell.

We left after one long week and flew to Barbados.

This was our first visit to the Carribean. Will return to Barbados but never St Lucia.

• Stayed April 2005
13 Thank Molsign
Gainesville Ga.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2005

I just returned from St. Lucia and the Windjammer Landing on May 22nd, 2005 after a semi-glorious 6 nights on the island! After a rough and bumpy 1 1/2 hour transfer from Hewanorra Airport on the southern end of the island (albeit with some nice Atlantic coastline views), we arrived at the resort just north of the city of Castries on the n.w. side of the island. If you can fly into the tiny airport of Vigie, it would be worth a little extra money since you will be only 15min. or so from the resort.
The resort is reached by a side road off the main hwy. that is a little bumpy itself, passing through an obviously residential area. Scattered down 2 sides of a small "mountain", Windjammer Landing consists mostly of villas with a goodly number of studio rooms (described as "oceanfront rooms" on their website). The villas on the beach side of the mountain overlooking Labrelotte Bay (with views also facing southward to Castries) appear to be the newest and the largest. The studio/oceanfront rooms (the lowest category here) and some of the smaller villas are just slightly over and face another smaller bay toward the northwest. From what I was able to see in viewing different types of accomodations throughout the property, the latter rooms facing n.w. appear to be the older units. Without really being aware of what I "should" have booked, I purchased a package for the basic studio/oceanfront room, not really needing the space of a villa for just two of us. Most of the units on this side of the property are housed in truly lovely "Mediterranean"-style 2 story buildings capped by an almost Grecian-looking white rooftop deck. If you are on the bottom level (as I was) you don't get the wonderful rooftop veranda. This is reserved for those staying on the 2nd level. The lower floor room I stayed in, however, did have a locked door leading to a staircase to the room above (I found out that both rooms can be booked as a 2-bedroom "suite" for a family). My main (and ONLY) complaint was in the quality of the studio/oceanfront room. I saw for myself that the 2nd floor room was exactly the same aside from the aforementioned rooftop deck (which really was quite lovely). Like almost all Caribbean hotels, the floor was a nice tile (some of us spoiled Americans would add that it would be nice for our back patios but not our bedrooms....<G>). The downside was that it was very cheaply furnished with basic white plaster walls, wood-beamed ceilings, a noisy air-conditioner unit and a wobbly ceiling fan. Thankfully the air-conditioner worked most of the time (aside from a short "freeze-up" and an additional 1-hour power failure...both were quickly resolved in less than an hour each). The icing on the cake was the shower/toilet area.....entered through a door adjacent to the vanity area (sink/mirror/hair dryer, etc).
The shower/toilet area is basically exposed to the elements with 2 openings in the concrete-blocked shower area and a barred-window above the toilet.
Even though these openings are high enough that there was no danger of anyone seeing in, it was still disconcerting to have to shower in a room that my roomie described as "Calcutta in June". Since you're open to the elements, the shower was actually a little warmer and steamier than the outside and there were definitely a few "gnats" or small insects that made their way into the bath area. So the goal was to shower and finish as quickly as possible and go back into the air-conditioned bedroom area.
After complaining, I was quickly shown a 1-bedroom villa unit on the same side of the hill. The living room, kitchen and bathrooms were also not air-conditioned. I'm sure that, in the cooler months, this might be fine....but in steamy late May I could not possibly have imagined lounging around in a hot living room watching television, much less cooking in the kitchen. The bedroom in the villa was much larger and there was a verandah/balcony running the length of the villa. The bathroom also contained a tub....but who wants to soak in a tub for any length in such humidity (not to mention that you'd probably be joined by some nice little insects....lol)? So we opted not to pay $80 additional per night for the villa and remain where we were. After viewing 2 other villas on the nicer/newer side of the hill, I at least found out that, for some, this is truly a luxurious resort. And there are some villas (only a handful in the 1-bedroom category however) that are fully air-conditioned, many with private plunge pools. I am definitely one of those that understands the old adage "you get what you pay for". And this is most definitely true at Windjammer Landing. Some of the more upscale villas will take your breath away....the villas themselves and the amazing views. I fully realize that many travelers won't mind the VERY basic accomodations of the studio/oceanfront rooms (albeit with all the necessary amenities, including a complimentary bottle of champagne and fruit plate), but I felt I would be remiss in not giving a small warning on those booking the bottom category room here. (My roomie described it as "worse than the worst Days Inn" just to give you an idea.) So for your average "comfort-driven" tourist....if you can't afford one of the newer/nicer villas, I would advise staying elsewhere....perhaps one of the 2 Rex Resorts in the Rodney Bay area.
On the plus side.....the resort itself is truly beautiful. The landscaping is lush and flowers/fruit trees/palms abound all over the mountainside and down to the beach. The shuttle service from the main lobby/beach area to all rooms is very efficient and frequent. In fact, most of the times that I called from my room for a shuttle, it was waiting for me before I could even get out to the end of the walkway! The concierge staff are also highly informative and go out of their way to assist guests. I was most impressed that all arriving guests are met by one of the beautiful "ambassadors" who welcome you with a hot towel and a drink.
And if you're willing to sit through a time-share presentation (and you WILL be offered this option) you will receive a special gift (we chose the all-day Jammers cruise down to the Pitons and back, which we got for $20 per person instead of the typical $90 rate). Special touches abound throughout the property....from lush tropical arrangements even in the public area restrooms to special "flag" service with drinks and snacks available directly on the beach. There are shops and an internet cafe also available. The food is VERY good....all-inclusive plans available starting at about $80 per person per day. The much-awarded Swedish Chef Bobo has definitely made sure that this top notch resort is matched by equally top notch cuisine. 3 distinctive restaurants (Dragonfly, Papa Dons and the Upper Deck) are available for dinner. Breakfast is served at Dragonfly only with lunch available at Jammer's Beach Bar & Grill and the beachside Embers (Jammer's also serves a more casual dinner). I was truly impressed by the incredible variety and quality. The restaurant servers are definitely better than your average American restaurant servers. Since tips are split amongst all the workers, literally everyone in each restaurant is anxious to help. This was a refreshing surprise...not to mention that, by the end of your stay, you will find many of the restaurant workers greeting you as if you are family. Windjammer Landing management is to be commended for their truly warm and congenial restaurant employees. You'll hate to say goodbye to them when you head home <G>.
Hopefully, by the time you finish my rather lengthy critique, you'll realize that, even though my stay was slightly offput by my less-than-desirable lodging, I still left with the feeling that I had experienced a truly 1st-class resort. Save up your money for one of the nicer villas and you will have the time of your life!

22 Thank randyanglin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2005

My husband and I got married at the Windjammer, we stayed for 10 days and I have to say the entire stay was great. The food was amazing and the service remarkable. Tad at Jammers was awesome. And everyone else was freindly and just a pleasure to be around. We are planning on returning next year with our families. The resort is a family resort and not for people who like to "party" which was fine for us. If you have any questions just ask, I would reccomend this resort to anyone.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2005

First went to St.Lucia in 2004, great island & and even greater people!
Was so impressed, we purchased a timeshare villa and plan to return
every year.
We were just there this past Feb 2005, and if was even better than our
1st visit. The resort has so much and everything more to offer. Great
friendly staff, great restaurants ! Both my wife & I love everything about
St.Lucia.
Great restaurants off the resort too. Too many to mention, but one I
have to. It's "La Trattoria del Mare" absolutly fantastic Italian food.
We ate dinner there ( 3 ) times this past Feb. The owner Jeff, his daughter
Sara and their cook Antonio, really make you feel at home. Try It...
you will not be disappointed.
Plenty to do during the day, day sails to other islands, one day trips
via air to other islands too.
My wife loves to shop.... and she loves the area where the cruise ships
dock. You can find whatever your looking for there or across the water
at the market place.

Rodney Bay & Castries have lots of good places to eat. Easy to get to
via cab.
If you have a choice of where to fly into, pick Castries! It's only a 15
min. cab to the Windjammer verses 1 1/2 hrs. from their other larger
ariport.

We met quite a few people during our ( 2 ) stays in St Lucia, and many
of the people we met said, they wished they would of have stayed at
the Windjammer.

We very seldom go back to the same island for a vacation, but St Lucia
is like our home away from home, and that's how all the people there
make you feel. And we're planning to come back each year, because
it can only get better !!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2005

PARADISE.  That describes our honeymoon to a T.  My new husband and I just returned from spending one spectacular week at Windjammer Landing, from 05.01.05 - 05.08.05. The island of St Lucia was beautiful, with its lush rain forests, tall pitons, and sulfuric volcano.  We could not have asked for a better location or accommodations.  When we started researching where we would go for our honeymoon, I discovered a wonderful concept - private plunge pools.  We knew we had to have one.  There are several resorts in St Lucia that have rooms, cottages, or villas with private pools.  We looked at all of them – Sandals, Ladera, Ti Kaye, Jalousie Hilton, Stonefield Estate Villas, and Windjammer – and decided that Windjammer had the most to offer us.  We were so right!  Windjammer is located on the northwest coast of St Lucia in Castries.  The location was breathtaking, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful, the food was phenomenal and somehow we ended up with their nicest one bedroom pool villa on the entire resort.  Lucky us.

Accommodations – Our villa was very large – about 1200 square feet – with a full kitchen, living room, dining area, bedroom, two full baths, very large veranda with a 8’ diameter plunge pool overlooking the Caribbean Sea.  We got to wake up every morning to stunning views from our very private veranda and enjoy beautiful sunsets from there every night.

Activities – We didn’t want to have an action packed honeymoon; we wanted to relax and just enjoy each other’s company.  We did take a day tour via catamaran where we got to walk through a rain forest, check out the sulfuric volcano, tour a cocoa bean plantation, sail through Marigot Bay, as well as drink plenty of rum punch and party with several other vacationers.  We definitely recommend the tour, we got to see so much of the island that we wouldn’t have otherwise.  We also went on a sunset cruise one night and rented jet skis one afternoon, but other than that our days consisted of lying out on our veranda, hanging out in our pool and ordering room service.  The resort itself also offered many activities throughout the day and evening for guests, and we saw many people partaking in them.  There was also an onsite spa where you could have anything from a massage, to a facial, to an hour long pedicure, to a body wrap and much more.  Although we thought about signing up for the couples massage, we were having too much fun doing absolutely nothing!

Food – Our evenings were filled with tropical drinks and fabulous dinners at one of their four restaurants: Dragonfly, Papa Don’s, The Upper Deck, and Jammers.  Dragonfly and Papa Don’s were a little more formal (pants requested for gentlemen) and the food was phenomenal.  Dragonfly had this exceptional dessert called “Dragonfly trio of Chocolate ‘Chapot’”, which was out of this world.  Even when we dined elsewhere, we’d make sure to go there for dessert.  The Upper Deck was where they have several specialty buffets throughout the week – a Caribbean Buffet, a Seafood Buffet, and a BBQ Buffet, all complete with entertainment.  The food at the buffet was good, but nothing like Dragonfly and Papa Don’s.  Finally, Jammer’s is their casual bar and grille where we ate lunch a couple times during the week and enjoyed many fruity cocktails.  We opted to do the all inclusive package and it was the best decision we made.  The food at the resort, as well as in St Lucia in general, is fairly expensive, and between that and all of the drinks, we got more than our money’s worth.  Room service was also included, with the exception of a $6 “tray charge”; well worth it for those days we just wanted to lounge around our villa.

Service – The customer service at Windjammer was fantastic.  At every restaurant the staff went above and beyond to take care of us.  Unlike any restaurant we’ve been at, everyone works as a team to make sure every guest is completely satisfied.  One person would seat us, another might take our drink order, another might clear our table if they saw we had finished with something, another would bring our food out, yet another would clear our plates, etc.  They were all over it; we never had to ask for anything.  We are so used to the “that’s not my table, so why should I help?” attitude we get at home, but it was the total opposite at Windjammer.

The Resort – Getting around the resort, which is built into a hillside, was easy with 24 hour shuttles provided by the resort.  All we had to do was call the front desk and within minutes a shuttle was at our door to take us wherever we wanted to go.  We were almost at the top of the hill and the roads were extremely narrow, windy, and steep, so we didn’t dare try to walk down, but those guests staying in the lower villas could have walked down to the main area.  The beach area was not all that big, but that didn’t bother us as we preferred to relax in our private pool.  However, the resort is currently undergoing renovations to significantly expand the beach area.  There is a mini mart on the resort where we were able to buy several bottles of local rum and make our own drinks in the villa.  There is also a duty free shop, a beach shop, and a jewelry shop on the resort.  Everything was there so that we did not have to leave the resort if we did not want to.

PARADISE.  Absolutely.  Every day I found myself saying to my husband “This place is amazing, what a perfect honeymoon.  I don’t want to go home.”  But sadly, our week eventually came to an end and when it was time to leave, we took a helicopter from the smaller airport on the island which is about 5 miles from Windjammer to the larger airport at the southern end of the island.  Not only was it much faster (12 minutes via air v. 60-90 minutes via land), but it also allowed us to have a tour of the island.  It was on the expensive side, $105/person each way, but we decided to splurge a little, after all we’ll only have one honeymoon.  We will most surely cherish our memories of St Lucia and Windjammer Landing forever.

36 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,056 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!