“We love the Windjammer!!!!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed March 18, 2005

We stayed at the Windjammer Landing over Christmas and New Years. This was our third stay at the Windjammer, and once again, it was paradise.
We're a very large family (about 30 people, and an age range of about 8 months to 71), and as always, the Windjammer caters to all of our needs.
It was very fun to be around a celebrity who was staying at the resort while we were there, and there was always plenty to do.
All of the watersports were tons of fun, with tubing, waterskiing, banana boats rides, etc. I highly recommend one of the open air jeep day trips (there are many to choose from, ask the the Travel desk), which can take you up and down the island.
The food has really improved since our last stay, with Dragonfly being my favorite of the 4 restaurants. The spa is very relaxing, as well.
All of the staff is very friendly. They answered all of our questions and really made our stay memorable. I can honestly say that every single member of my family loves the Windjammer Landing, and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: December 2004
16  Thank MeetmeinSanJuan
There are newer reviews for Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Reviewed March 16, 2005

I can't believe the good reviews.
Stayed here a few times for combined business/holiday trip.
Found the staff to be TOTALLY lacking. There's a difference between relaxed Caribbean and incompetent. Blame the management because the staff needs more training and more hands on deck. The staff was overwhelmed by the crowd and it wasn't that crowded.
The property is spread out so you may have to walk and walk and walk up steep hills. The property is also located down a bumpy road (you wonder where the taxi driver is taking you!) and far from the action and sights of this lovely island.
Rooms ok, not very luxurious, more rustic and not rustic in a good way, but if you pay extra you may get a small (tiny) pool on your balcony.
The beachfront is quite nice with a small boardwalk.
Food is okay if you can get service!
Stay somewhere else for better service and value for money. Highly recommend the Island of St. Lucia however!

• Stayed: February 2004, traveled on business
18  Thank MeTravelBug
Reviewed March 15, 2005

I wrote a review of our experience at Winjammer in March, 2004. We returned there, same week (Presidents' Week school vacation) to the same villa. The good things are still good and some things were better. Cold washcloths on the beach, gourmet dining nightly, and fresh paint everywhere. The staff were all terrific, and the addition of personal "ambassadors" during the stay was a big help. We went as an extended family; 2 old fogies (my wife and I), two grown-ups (our daughter and son-in-law) and three grandboys, 10, 7 and 2. I heartily recommend Windjammer for families like us.

16  Thank plubin
Shelby Township, MI
Reviewed March 15, 2005

Transferred from Club St. Lucia to Windjammer. The resort was beautiful, clean, and staff was extremely friendly, personable, and helpful. Grounds were well kept, food was good, nice shuttle service. We had the upstairs pool area to ourselves the entire week. Took a private boat trip with Exodus Adventure with Captain Tom for a great price. No regrets paying extra for a transfer of resorts.

• Stayed: March 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2005

For two empty-nesters, Windjammer Landing was a wonderful experience March 5-11. One reason was King Villa #138. This unit, high up on the mountainside, has a large, shaded terrace overlooking lush vegetation, a full view of the Caribbean with Martinique in the background. We regret not bringing binoculars with all the sailboats passing by. Villas with plunge pool appeared to all be facing south. We figured those units must be pretty hot during the day even with the blessed A/C.
Shuttle service was quick and reliable up and down the mountainside, but we often opted to walk in the morning or late afternoon. The small grocery store provided us with breakfast staples, and the beach bar was great for a light lunch. Papa Don's was within walking distance for our Italian dining - great pasta and pizza - even take-out pizza. It's a good idea to reserve a table as this place fills up quickly.
Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. We settled our bill the night before our departure as airport shuttle was scheduled for pick-up at 6:30 am. No problems.
My husband went scuba diving and was delighted with the arrangements by the dive shop. Together we took the "Soufriere Special Land & Sea Combo" tour. Cost: US$ 85/person and worth every cent. You see fishing villages, rainforest, visit Torailles Gardens and falls (swimming under waterfall), experience a "drive through" volcano, and enjoy delicious lunch at Ladera Resort overlooking the Pitons. Return via catamaran with another swim-stop along the way. 9 hours never went by so fast.
Two restaurants in Castries we highly recommend: the Coal Pot and Froggie Jack's, both by Vigie Cove near the tiny airport. We had lunch at Froggie Jacks after finding 1 hour of shopping in Castries being quite enough.
The island of St. Lucia is Paradise on earth - forget Hawaii - this is just as spectacular.

• Stayed: March 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dayton, OH
Reviewed February 28, 2005

I had always envisioned what my honeymoon would be like and our stay at the Windjammer Landing made it come to life. It was everything my husband and I were hoping for and then some. I knew nothing about St. Lucia. My parents had given us a timeshare book to look through and allowed us to select a honeymoon as our gift from them. We picked a few places and then drew one out of a hat. And St. Lucia it was. The only reason St. Lucia was an option was because of this website. I figured that there must be something great about this place since so many people gave it 5 stars. I was confused with some of the negative comments but went ahead and took the chance. We went the first week in November. We flew into the southern airprot (HEW). The drive was long but really gave you a feel for the island which started the trip off right. The taxi driver even asked if we wanted to stop and get our photo taken at a neat overcliff. We did and it turned out great. Our hotel room was really unique. Very clean. Large yet cozy. Open but can be closed. Perfect temperature. Cute kitchen with a bottle of champaign and fruit tray waiting for us. Robes on our bed. And the open terrace was breathtaking. The view stretched for miles and we could even see other islands and the pirate ship sailing every morning and evening. That is where we got some of our best pictures. We really enjoyed the one bedroom villa without a plunge pool because then you have the option of opening up your room or completely closing it if you are worried about bugs.

We did not have a bug problem at all except for a cute baby lizard that made its way in. My husband opened the doors one day and birds flew right in. We let them enjoy themselves for a moment and then sent them on their way. I was really afraid that the brochure only looked great and the hotel would not. However it was picture perfect just as it looks online and in the brochure. The beach was perfect for us. We never had a problem getting lounge chairs even after sleeping in and could always find a flag to put up when we were hungry or thirsty. I have been craving the pina coladas since we left. The flags made us feel like royalty being waited on hand and foot. The servers were all wonderful and really gave the resort some personality. The staff had activities scheduled each day like Bingo, Crab races, swim races, water aerobics, etc. They were fun to play and we won tee shirts, champaigne, and rum! We met some wonderful friends there and plan on keeping in touch. We are all going back the same time next year. We did the all inclusive deal and had no regrets.

We went snorkeling and had a great time. The sunset cruise was also one of our highlights. We did the timeshare presentation and it was very low key. No pressure at all. We have been through several and finally decided to purchase the timeshare at this resort. We can't wait to go back again this November. I am a very picky eater and hate to try new things. I like my french fries, pizza, hamburgers, steak, and bacon and eggs, and desserts and I was very happy with the selection and taste. They had a wide variety of island foods but also your everyday foods and they tasted just as I had hoped. Papa Don's was our favorite restaurant. The day we left we got a special treat and got our photo with Kenny Rogers. He was staying at the resort and was very casual with himself and everyone around. We took the helicopter back to the airport which was worth the money and saved us a lot of time. This was the best vacation that either of us have gone on. We have been to many others but we will definately be back to Windjammer Landing. Even though we planned on doing many things we never left the resort (except for dinner once) because we felt everything we needed was right there. I liked that we could use the U.S. dollar and everyone spoke English. One aspect of the island that I remember most is the people that lived and worked there and how friendly and helpful they were. They really appreciate the tourist there. I feel that this island is the Carribean's best kept secret. I highly recommend the Windjammer Landing for your next vacation.

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2005

I just wrote a review but don't think it went through.
St. Lucia is a beautiful island with lush rainforest, beaches, mountains, and friendly people. It is a rainforest so it does rain but was mostly sunny the entire time I was there.
Windjammer-landing is one of the nicest "hotels" I've ever stayed in. Hotels is in quotes because it is actually made up of villas connected by a steep path down to the main hotel section, the beach, and the 4 excellent restaurants. The hotel has round-the-clock vans that can take you to your villa if you're too lazy to walk. The Windjammer website doesn't do it justice. All the villas are on the west side of the hill so you get a beautiful view of the sunset every day.
There are varied daily free activities. For some extra money, we took a day-sail to a volcano, waterfall, and cocoa plantation. We also did a great jeep ride into the rainforest and stopped off at some villages and waterfalls.
All-in-all, St. Lucia and the Windjammer-landing are amazing. This is one of my favorite vacations and would definately go back.

• Stayed: January 2005
23  Thank FishingdocNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!