We stayed at the Windjammer in November 2004 and had a fantastic time. The resort is gorgeous, and perhaps one of the best things about it is that it's not "overmaintained." It is landscaped, but still lush and natural, and you don't look at a rock and wonder if a speaker is hidden in there somewhere. It just seemed very real.
I honestly don't know what people are talking about when I read these negative reviews. The beach is very pretty, has palm trees decorated with white lights which go on at night, and is has a good swimming area. The two pools aren't huge but are nice, and everything is well-situated so that it's not too far of a walk anywhere you need to go. It also has an internet cafe, and a nice variety of restaurants.
One thing we weren't prepared for at the resort is that the lobby, pool, and most of the restaurants are down by the beach, and the rooms and villa are behind them up a very steep hill. The resort offers a shuttle service to and from the villas to the common areas, because it is a very steep walk. This didn't detract from our experience at all, but in my head I was imagining a "traditional" hotel where you just walk out to the beach. For someone whose mobility is impaired, this might be an issue.
As most people have mentioned the resort staff is extremely friendly, and they really played a part in making our stay enjoyable.
A couple things I will have the audacity to recommend to anyone going to the Windjammer:
Try to plan out as much of your excursions ahead of time as possible. The resort offers a wide array of tours and excursions, but some tours are only available on some days (perhaps twice a week) which doesn't give you many options. Also, we booked a tour but not enough people had signed up for it and it was cancelled, which was a disappointment because since it was only offered twice a week, that was our only chance to go on it. I don't know how this could have been remedied, but maybe if we had known more in advance we could have tried to book the same tour through an independent operator on the island.
Second, as great as Windjammer is, take the time to leave the resort. There are some great restaurants (The Coal Pot was our favorite) in Castries and Rodney Bay, and you really get a nicer feel for the island if you see more than just the resort.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the Windjammer. Since I've relied on other people's responses to make my decision to go to the Windjammer, I felt compelled to write my own, and I, too, recommend going there. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, BookIt.com, West Indies, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries