“Loved the Windjammer” 5 of 5 bubbles

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“Loved the Windjammer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2004

We found the hotel great on all levels. Particularly the staff friendliness. The food was good in all restaurants. The kids club was loved by our daughter who spent most of her holiday there of her own choice (8 years) - loads to do and lots of fun. The villa we had was on two levels with fantastic views and its own dip pool. There was maid service everyday and plenty of clean fresh linen. We will definitely go again and would happily recommend it.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2004

BE WARNED: This review will be long.

We decided to be married at the Windjammer on September 25th, but, due to the inordinately active hurricane season, we postponed until December 18th. I will go day-by-day and illustrate exactly how horrible this experience was and why NO ONE SHOULD EVER GET MARRIED AT THE WINDJAMMER!

Here we go:
December 14th:

We check in and meet Christophe, a nice young man who helps us when we arrive. We are told that we have been upgraded from a one-bedroom villa with a plunge pool to a two-bedroom villa with a plunge pool. Though we appreciate and accept what we perceive to have been a kindness, in the end, it was a nightmare. We walk in and the first two things was realized were that the dining room ceiling fan is BROKEN and, more importantly, the air conditioning in the master bedroom is BROKEN. I call to report it and they send us a supposed "maintenance man", who does little more than press a few buttons on the remote, put his hand in front of the unit and tell us that its getting cooler. I put my hand there and determined this simply wasn't true. He told us to give it a minute and, after giving it 30, I called for a manager on duty. The MOD, a Mr. West, told me that the guy they sent wasn't an air conditioning technician, but that he would have one there in the morning and that, in the meantime, he would have housekeeping push the two twin beds together, tie them up and that I and my fiancee' could sleep downstairs. I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I WAS HEARING! When I inquired about a different room with adequate WORKING accommodations, he informed me that he really couldn't beat what we had been given. Though I found this response laughable, I had slept 1 hour in 2 days and just wanted to end the day, so I acquiesced.

-------------------
December 15:

We awake about 10 am and I go upstairs to find the "message" light on the phone blinking. I check the message and I have two messages where someone has hung up without leaving a message. I blow this off, but notice that, despite leaving the AC on all night, it wasnt very cool in the living/dining room area, but then discover why. There is a WINDOW THAT WONT CLOSE letting hot air in. I am a big guy and, despite putting my weight on it, it would not close. I make a note to myself to call maintenance about that and go to turn on some smooth jazz and prepare breakfast, but there is another problem: the CD PLAYER IS BROKEN! I also notice that my plunge pool, which would be heated by the sun, GETS NO SUN EXPOSURE and was ice cold the whole time we were there. At this point, I am losing my good humor.

I awake my fiancee' and we decide to get an early lunch at Jammer's Restaurant, book our excursions and report our problems. Lunch was fine, but when book our tours, we learn that everything we want to do occurs on Tuesday and Friday, which is preposturous. We had been planning for months to do the Jammer's Day Sail ($180), Grenadines ($600) and Sunset Cruise ($80), only to find out we would only be able to do the Grenadines (more on that fiasco later). So, we book the Grenadines trip and stop at the concierge desk. I ask where Glenifer (the wedding coordinator) is and the woman at the desk tells me that the lawyer had been to the resort that morning to fill out our wedding documents, only to leave when we could not be reached. I ask her why no one left a message on our phone and she replied that she "just didn't." We would later find out that the phone downstairs was BROKEN and that is why we did not hear it. Additionally, this resulted in even more time wasted because we had to go from Labrelotte Bay to Castries to the lawyer's office, getting stuck in traffic on the way back and WASTING EVEN MORE OF OUR TIME!

Before the trip to the lawyer's office, we decide we should go back to the room so we are there before the staff arrives and needs to get in. We go back and I call to report all the problems. Two hours go by - NOTHING! It occurs to me at this point that we are wasting hours of our vacation on their poor maintenance.

Finally, I can't take anymore, so I pen a four-page letter to the General Manager - Mr. Anthony Bowen, essentially begging him to help resolve our issues so we can get on with our wedding and vacation. I ask in the letter that he simply drop us a note or give us a call to ensure he receives it, which, of course, never happened. Soon thereafter, however, many of the repairs were made and we were satisfied that 24-hours after we checked in, our room was finally ready for check in.

We spent the next several hours wasting our time in Castries and come back and meet with Christine, our Wedding Planner, and Helen, a resort Ambassador. Both were nice and helpful in the planning of our wedding. I detail the problems that we experienced to Helen and she promises to follow up on them all, which she did.

We suddenly realize after our meeting, however, that the lawyer kept all of our original documents that we used to get in the country for our marriage information and that we only have my fiancee's extra birth certificate and my state i.d. as official documents. We mention this to Christine and she says she will check it out for us.

Finally, we are simply beaten from the day and go to bed. No swimming, no tanning. Just problems, it seems.

------------
December 16:

We awake, grab lunch and are determined to get some pool time in today. I call my mom, who arrived late the night before, only to find out that the previous night's rain had drenched her room. She has been moved over night and into the day not once, but twice, but is ultimately happy with her room.

Knowing she is now okay, I relax a bit, and we grab lunch and go to look at what has been advertised as a "SECLUDED BEACH" that will "TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY." Our breath was knocked out of us when we saw this non-manicured, rocky and thoroughly unattractive tiny, so-called beach. At some points, grass was growing through the sand!!! We could not believe it! All this way for something that DID NOT EXIST (the ultimate in false advertising). The gazebo (which we did not intend to use) had two deck loungers stacked in it and was thoroughly unattractive. We were so incredibly let down and disappointed. The whole "barefoot on the beach" thing was not going to happen and was the reason for doing it this way.

We go to complain to Christine, but she is off that day, so we will have to wait a day - THE DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING - to get this straight. We talk to the tours desk guy, a friendly man named Sean, regarding the problem with the ID and the lawyer and he tells us we will be fine. We accept this and get on with our day. I visit my family and, for the first time, begin to relax. We get dinner at Papa Don's, who serve the best pasta, shrimp and scallop dish I've ever had. I am hoping things will get better.

----------
December 17:

Well, things don't get better. We wake up early and head to the airport for the Grenadines trip, which will take up to St. Vincent by plane, then three small islands by catamaran and later we fly back. The problem is, Sean was wrong; A rude and disaffected immigration agent refuses to let us onto the plane because we don't have all of our documents. We stand there for a half-hour, pushed to side and watching dozens of people go by - including the 17 other people who are going on the trip - go by us as we just stand there. The agent assures us that we are not going and says she is going to talk to the tour operator. I am very upset at this point and call the Windjammer, who NOW tell me that we need the documents and should just come back to the hotel and won't be charged for the trip. THIS, after such an inconvenience, was their remedy. Remember, we could have opted for the other tour and not gone through this, but were assured that we were "fine."

I go back to the immigration desk to collect our things and prepare to go to the hotel. Well, a young man at the airport runs up to the immigration agent and they begin whispering to one another. It turns out that he took the initiative to call immigration in St. Vincent and get us cleared. THANK GOD SOMEONE CARED TO GET SOMETHING RIGHT! We are finally allowed through, told to run to the plane, where we were the only couple separated from one another - her in front, me in back - for the flight.

The Grenadines trip is the ONLY unqualified success of the trip and I strongly recommend it.

We get back to the hotel after the trip and go to talk to Christine about our issue with the beach. She says she will talk to Glenifer about it.

We go off property for dinner at a place called Spinnaker's, which was really good and decide to party at a club called Charlie's which was fun for dancing the night away.

-----------
December 18:

Our wedding day has arrived and, though we began this process months ago, we still don't know where we are getting married; only that it wont get what we wanted - a beach wedding. And so, in what has become the worst trip of our lives, we go to meet Glenifer, a pleasant, hard-working woman who could use an assistant or two. I talk to her briefly, ask her about alternative beach locations and she says she will work on it. We grab breakfast at the Dragonfly (which was only so-so and SO not worth $20), and later I connect with her to go see an alternate location. She warns me in advance that the area is public, but for a ceremony that will last, at most, 30 minutes, I frankly didn't care if it meant we could have our beach wedding.

THE BEACH HAD TRASH EVERYWHERE! This beach was horribly nasty and could never have been a seriously thought-out option. Also, there just wasn't space to do it! Glenifer said that the resort didn't own or maintain the area and that there were no other options to show me as far as beaches were concerned. She said that if we were getting married on a weekday, we would have had more choices. I remember chuckling to myself and wondering how many Americans (or other nationalities) ran to St. Lucia to get married on a Tuesday - what a joke!

So now its 1:30 p.m. and we STILL don't know where our 4:30 p.m. wedding will occur. Glenifer mentions that there is a garden area I could see and that it was my last option. Despite that the fact that we would end up getting married on the downslope of a hill, it actually wasn't bad. With a few trees and a backdrop of the ocean, while it was definitely not what we wanted, it was passable and would not embarass us in front of our guests. So I get my fiancee' who shrugs her shoulders in disappointment and asks rhetorically "what other choice do we have now?" A horrible way for a bride to feel on her most special day.

At 2:30 p.m., I notify Glenifer, through Christine, that the garden location will be used.

At 4, I come down to meet the woman who will be marrying us and whose script I had been shown. Of course, she was not available and a man sat before me. He was nice, efficient and served his purpose, though not terribly well dressed for a wedding ceremony. He prepped me and, finally, I and my family walked over to prepare.

I am standing on this hill, looking at the photographer and videographer scurry around and Glenifer is shifting chairs as my family stands. I appreciate what is being represented as concern to make sure the photos and video come out well. In the end, the photos were okay, at least until the guy's flash stopped working, making 5 of the shots terrible, and the video is absolutely horrible - more on that later.

So I am standing there with my jacket off, talking to my best friend and I see my fiancee'. Walking along the path. Holding a bouquet. I wonder aloud what is going on and it hits me - THEY STARTED THE WEDDING WITHOUT TELLING ME THEY'D BEGUN!!! Glenifer had called the room earlier to ask me what music I wanted to play when she walked down the aisle. My exact reply was "smooth jazz, but no singing. Just instrumentals." This reply was relayed to her by my best friend who was right next to me. Of course, there was no music playing as she walked towards me, just stone silence.

I throw my jacket on and my beautiful bride is trying to balance her way down the hill in her heels. We make it through the rest of the ceremony without incident and Glenifer actually does play one song from a CD I had given her for the end of the wedding.

We break from the ceremony and go to our rooms to change to meet at Dragonfly for dinner (the food was wonderful). Following the dinner, the waiter brings us our wedding cake, which we'd cut earlier at the ceremony. But that's all he brings - a cake with one cut. No plates, no knife appropriate for the occasion. I just can't believe it. I go to his manager and explain what is going on and that I want (1) the top layer saved for us, in tact, (2) the cake to be cut in slices and brought to the table and (3) for the champagnge to be served at that time. They do what I ask BUT WHY DID I HAVE TO GET UP FROM MY SEAT AND REQUEST THE BASICS!?! My assumption is that we are not the first wedding to take place there, but you would've thought that was the case.

-------------
December 19:

I spend all day with my fiancee' in my mom's villa and pool, because her pool DID get sun exposure and was fit to enjoy. At this point, we are honestly just biding our time and cannot wait to leave this country.

We go back to Papa Don's for dinner where we hold the table for my mother and her 4 friends for more than an hour because of shuttle delays.

December 20:

We sleep late, pack and leave: no meals, no nothing. We just want to get out of there. A horrible experience. A nightmare run-up to the wedding. A once in a lifetime ceremony that pans out as just okay. And all of the problems resting squarely on the shoulders of the Windjammer. I am not saying that the staff did not try to resolve the issues; occasionally, they did. I am saying that, often, their help was too late, useless or filled with lame excuses. We were smiled at and treated very politely as our wedding and vacation fell apart before our very eyes.

In closing:

St. Lucia is a gorgeous country that I am happy to now say I have seen, as were St. Vincent and the Grenadines. But the Windjammer experience was a disaster, from the broken items to the immigration complications to the wedding. We are not time-share owners; just regular, every day working people who put several thousand dollars into what they hoped would be a low-key, beautiful wedding. We will now forever remember our wedding experience as having been ruined by the Windjammer.

We remained polite and thankful to the staff for the duration of our stay, but I felt that this story needed to be told so no one else got duped.

--------------
Through this nightmare, there was the occasional rays of light and they must be recogized, so, I would like to acknowledge the following people and their kindnesses: Kennedy, Ricardo, Celeste, Nigel and the rest of the super-cool shuttle crew for working hard and keeping a smile on their face; Dee and Faye for always hearing our concerns and doing whatever they could; Christine and Glenifer for doing what I believe they felt was their best; Helen (Ambassador) for checking to make sure our problems were addressed; and Donna (Guest Services) for making herself available to us as a first line of defense against future problems. Also, Mr. Anthony Bowen, General Manager, for whatever involvement he may ultimately have had in resolving any of the myriad challenges we faced during our stay, if any.

• Stayed December 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
44 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wolcott,ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2004

Just returned from 4 night stay. Not long enough. It was the most beautiful island we have ever seen. Beat cruising the Caribbean by a mile. Food great. Views from balcony exquisite. Can't wait to go back for a longer stay. Just the most relaxing place on earth. We used the American Airlines vacation package plus all inclusive meal plan. Can't beat sitting on the beach, putting up a flag, and beiing served tropical drinks and shrimp kebobs for lunch!!!

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank chrisct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

To start off on a positive note the majority of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the resort itself is reasonably maintained, not as well as I would expect for the price, but OK. The restaurants (especially the Dragonfly) were pretty good and not too expensive.

To summarize the trip I would say we had an OK stay with some high and some low points.

Things I did not like about the resort - especially considering the price.

- The beach was very poor. Drainage pipes and large lumps of concrete could be seen as you walked along the beach. I think they need to import some more sand.

- Checkin took over an hour. We have two small kids, so sitting drinking the free arrival cocktails for that amount of time was not an option. This should be better organised.

- Checkout was a mess, the bill was correct but it took over and hour to checkout, this after having to walk down the steep slope from our villa with bags and a small child, since I was fed up waiting for the shuttle (30 min wait and multiple phone calls). A bill dropped off in your room (advanced checkout) would be a better way to go.

- The shuttle service is fine as long as the resort is not busy. As soon as it is you might as well walk.

- In addition, the public road into the resort is not the nicest of views. Trash and old TV's littered the way. This was not a problem for me, but for those who expect a beautiful tree lined drive for example, don't get your hopes up.

- In general, the Castries area of the island is not that pretty. Its busy, poluted and the sea is murky. Further south is far more pretty and the sea is much clearer. I would definetly head further south if I went back.

All in all, as I said before this is and OK resort, but I have stayed in far better for less in the Caribbean and would say that if you are a worldly traveler that you would probably expect more than this resort has to offer even assuming that this is the Caribbean.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2004

We spent a wonderful week at the Windjammer in November, and would return again in an instant. Wonderful food and service, a terrific beach and comfortable rooms. The word "paradise" seemed to occur to all. We would strongly recommend only reserving here on an "all inclusive" basis as the restaurant prices are steep otherwise, and there are no other restaurants in the immediate vicinity unless you have a car. Like all the resorts in the Castries area it takes about an hour and a half to make the transfer by bus from the international airport at the south end of the island. Here's to beautiful, unspoiled and friendly St. Lucia. We shall return.

6 Thank Dalkeith33
yardley, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2004

Just got back from windjammer and all in all we had a great time. the growns were gorgeous with nice private balcanys. most of the staff would attend to your every need and most were extremely friendly. in my opinion the wait staff/bartenders/watersports/entertainment employees were worth there weight in gold and made this a really pleasureable experience. i think they set the scene for all the guests. the guests were extremely friendly as well...met lots of really nice folks. and my experience with the watersports folks was wonderful...they came out instantly when i capsized my hobie and not only uprighted the boat but helped my old out of shape body back on the boat, and then helped me make a joke out of it... and when the snorkeling trip was cut short because of the murkey water caused by the rain, they were more than happy to take us to rodney bay for a little tour...just needed to ask. the water sports were fantastic they had paddle boats,kayaks, snorkeling trips 2 x per day(if the water is not to rough/murkey) hobiecats/sunfishes/sailboard/watersking/snorkeling equipment and sailing/watersking lessons. i will agree that the gals at the front desk were in general very unfriendly/maybe i'll get to it kind of attitude and yes keep and eye on your bill. (we only had a problem with one wrong charge, which was resolved by the internet cafe gal, and when they pulled out the bill which was clearly signed for by another room they shoved in my face and said you mean THIS IS NOT YOU!!). had little experience with the tour desk. the food was good and the flags on the beach were the best. one day i sat on the beach/water sports pavilion all day and when i got thirsty/hungry i just put up the flag...heaven for a mother of 3!!!! only did one tour and it was the jammer day tour. had a great time thought the waterfall was beautiful/sulfur spring really cool/lunch at the plantation great/snorkeling great. just bring your own/resorts snorkeling equipment since it is not provided by the tour boat!!!it only went out on tues and fridays. also was told the sunset tour was really fun too.only went out on friday. went to rodney bay for dinner/spinickers it was great. now the down side of the windjammer/st.lucia...st. lucia is a very beautiful/mountainous/tropical island and therefore there are NOT long sandy beaches. the windjammer shares the beach with only one other resort ,east winds, and then there are rocky cliffs leaving the rest of the island unaccessible by foot. therefore you are kind of trapped in the resort/unless you call a taxi. the other downside is that the rain causes the seawater to become murkey...therefore when it rains...no snorkeling and if the surf is rough(snorkeling near rocky shore line) no snorkeling. kind of realize now, flat island... sandy flat beaches no lovely turane, mountainous island.... no flat sandy beaches but beautiful turane. the weather in november is considered rainy season...we had 3 days where we needed sunscreen...3 days that we didn't(with one day of turential downpour,2 days of extremely cloudy days). wouldn't do rainy season again if i was going to st. lucia ( they did say that it hadn't been that rainy in november in 4 yrs...just my luck!!). also the island room we had was nice but small.... and had 4 leaks in it during the torential downpour. all in all a great resort...probably one of the nicest on the island, great watersports, most of the staff is friendly helpful. if i was going to st. lucia again i would definitly go back to windjammer... but not during rainy season!!!

• Stayed November 2004
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank lornmastro
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2004

Had the most wonderful, relaxing week at Windjammer Landing. Food, staff and accommodations were all superb. Left the resort once for a half day snorkel trip to the pitons, Anse Chastanet and Anse Cochon. The rest of the time was spent just hanging out and enjoying this beautiful property. We would definitely recommend Windjammer but if you have mobility issues, be aware that it is built on the side of a hill. There are happy little shuttle buses that take you to and from your room as it can be quite a hike. We liked the fact that the accommodation is quite spread out but this might be difficult for some folks. Especially enjoyed all the watersports.

8 Thank chickpeas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!