“A great Wedding!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed November 2, 2008

We love St Lucia and the Windjammer! We will definitely be going back as will some of our friends and family. We stayed there for 14 days in March of 2007 for our wedding and brought 19 friends and family. Planning the destination wedding was hard due to the distance; I was worried about miscommunications. But once we landed and met with the wedding planners all my fears were put at ease. The wedding could not have gone more smooth and the dinner after was terrific and exceeded our expectations! Of course the setting was beautiful and the hotel was terrific. Everyone we brought had a different style/layout of their villa - but they were all lovely and had wonderful ocean views. The food in all of the restaurants was wonderful and fresh. And everyone who worked on property was just friendly and attentive. On Friday before the wedding we did the sunset cruise and then went into Castries for the Friday night "jump-up." Both are must dos if you have the time. Everyone still tells me what a great time they had at the wedding and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank arcasuscelli
There are newer reviews for Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Reviewed October 20, 2008

My sister, brother-in-law, husband and I stayed at the Windjammer Resort 10/12/2008 thru 10/19/2008. We are all in our mid to late fifties. We had a brand new 2 bedroom villa next to the main pool and restaurants. The villa was absolutely wonderful with an unbelievable view.

Our villa number was 302 A and B. Two bedrooms, full kitchen, 3 flat screen TV's, two separate decks overlooking the caribbean. Hot tub on deck. Wash and dryer in the villa was a pleasant surprise. Coffee pot in each suite too.

Because we were so close to the restaurants and pools, we did not need the resort shuttle to take us around except for a few times we made reservations at Papa Don's. Shuttles were always readily available if needed.

The grounds were beautiful and well kept.

The food at The Jammers pool/beach side restaurant was good. Great variety of foods.

We had the all-inclusive. We ate breakfast everyday at the Dragonfy. Excellent choice of foods. We had made to order omelets, bacon was excellent, variety of fresh fruits, pancakes, french toast, etc. Everything was wonderful.

Papa Don's was also very good.

At the Embers, we had BBQ chicken, ribs, etc. Also very good.

Drinks were unlimited.

Service was outstanding.

We took the Endless Summer catamaran boat trip which was wonderful. It rained almost all day but we still had a great time due to the great crew. Part of the boat trip was a tour of a volcano, waterfall, and cocoa plantation. We would recommend this to anyone.

We can't wait to go back! We loved the resort!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mguss1
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We had problems with this hotel, the moment we stepped in. The effect of the complimentary welcome drink soon wore off, after it took almost an hour for check-in. First the check-in staff wouldn't honor the reservation we made through Hotels.com, despite the fact that we confirmed our reservation by phone with the hotel before flying out, and we had a copy of the email confirmation from Hotels.com. They insisted we pay the full room rate (3 times hotels.com rate), which we did given that our 5 year old had been traveling for almost 12 hours. While the staff came across as friendly, it was clear that most of the reception staff were not trained for the job. We eventually got going and realized that you need a shuttle to get from the reception to the villas or to go between rooms to visit other members of our wedding party. The villas were old, poorly maintained and tired, with ants, and a wall gecko in our room! There was a rickety TV in the living area and only the room had air conditioning. There's free wi-fi in the reception area and internet access in the rooms, but the hotel charges $5 to use an internet workstation for 5 minutes if you don't have your own laptop. We tried to get some breakfast at the Dragon Fly Restaurant the next morning, and after about 10 minutes after we started, access to the buffet was locked because breakfast ends at 11 am. Though we were still billed for the full fare. None of the staff thought it was necessary to warn us. Despite the high room rate the staff got into arguments with another guest over a $1 local phone call! And watch your bill when checking out because they'll nickel and dime you. Overall this was the most expensive, and least value for money location. Its isolated from everywhere though the beach and pool are OK. We were glad to check out to another hotel after the wedding. The final straw for me was the hotel charging $75 per person to book a golf session at the local golf course.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank Lofeg
Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband & I had chosen the Windjammer Landing resort in St Lucia for our 25th wedding anniversary and were not disappointed at all.We stayed for 7 nights.We were assigned to a suite up on the hill close to the spa and Papa Dons Taverna.The room was clean and private with a beautiful panoramic view of the ocean on either side with a beautiful green hill between. The suite had a full kitchen, bathroom and living area that opened to the veranda.The netting over the bed to keep and night time insects gave the room a feeling of being in the rain forest and romantic as well.We did not experience any bugs except 1 month.Do to a medical condition unfortunately we needed to be moved to a closer location to the facilities.The resort is situated on the side of a hill and although shuttles are very quick to transport us to & from our room it was still difficult to get in & out of the van/shuttle for me.My husband is a very fussy person when it come to good food and I am for service.Neither of us were disappointed in any way we were actually very impressed by the staff through out resort and the food was fabulous. Jammer's,our favorite, on the beach had the blacked tuna that was great and even the pizza at Embers.We hit all the restaurants and enjoyed them all.The entertainment was a little too relaxed the 1st couple of nights but mid week picked up and the last night was the best with the fire eating and acrobatic dancing show. The beach is clean and the Jammer cruise is a must!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FreeSpiritTravelers
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED, LOVED, LOVED St. Lucia and the Windjammer! We wish we didn’t have to leave it was that wonderful!
I and my family absolutely LOVED IT there! The Windjammer is the place to be when visiting and we hope to come back next year if the economy holds up long enough. The villa was PERFECT! It was spectacular to open my room window to see the panoramic views of St. Lucia! We all agreed that having a villa was most beneficial since we’re a family of 7 plus one friend. The rooms were beautiful. Clean and spacious and each had our own bathroom. The open air living room was beautiful and we loved the private pool. When we came home in the evenings from swimming we’d jump right back in the pool before going to bed. Thanks to the cleaning staff who never let us run out of fresh towels and made our beds. I just loved my room, to be able to wake up and watch the sunrise from my bed was just amazing!
Of course I can’t stay in bed forever so off to the pool and beach we went. I loved being so close. I truly felt like a fish. We swam all day just about everyday we were there. The beach was beautiful and we took advantage of the free snorkeling the Windjammer offers for the morning hours. You have to pay for the afternoon one which wasn’t a lot I think it was $5 pr person. But it was so wonderful and they take you out on to another scenic location. I don’t remember the guys name but he was great. He really took care of my nephew since it was his first time snorkeling. He loved it so much and got a little carried away that he tried chasing a school of fish! Needless to say we went snorkeling several times. The main pool was great too and allowed me to get some lap swimming done. We even stayed in the pool while it rained. It was beautiful to watch the raindrops hit the pool surface while submerged under. The kids loved it too! They finally didn’t have to be told to come inside because it’s raining. The rain didn’t last long though, it never does. We liked the daily visits from the fruit man and the sea shell man and the drummer guy. It made hanging out on the beach that much more fun and exciting. They also have a rock climbing ball in the water as well as a water slide which was great fun too! There was lots to explore on the beachfront. We got to swim with a mini school of fish right on the shoreline! So even if you didn’t have to go snorkeling, you had some fish swimming around on the beach. My other nephew loved that since he was not as strong a swimmer in order to go with us snorkeling but next year he will.
The food at the Jammer’s restaurant was great. Most resorts don’t have great onsite restaurants but Windjammer’s fleet of restaurants offered much variety and kept us coming back for more. Next time we’ll do the all inclusive package. Ember’s has great grilled BBQ! We loved the breakfast at the Dragonfly. But we mostly ate at the Jammer’s Bar because it was right there by the pool and beach and just because we liked it so much. The food was great! The music was great! The drinks were great! Everything was great! We didn’t eat at the Upper Deck because that would require us putting clothes back on and well we just didn’t want to. We’d rather stay in the water. Maybe next time we’ll attempt to go here but at the beginning of our stay so we can get to the more important things like snorkeling, water tubing and swimming, etc. LOL There was one more restaurant that we didn’t try which was Papa Don’s but again next time we’ll visit here as well. But no matter which restaurant you go to the food will definitely be great because all the food we’ve eaten was great. So you can’t go wrong.
All the staff members (hotel, cleaning, restaurants) were friendly and personable and treated you as family. They were exceptional. The food on the rest of the island is GREAT too! We loved the Coal Pot best out of these! It was a great restaurant situated on the waterfront of Vigie Marina so that was lovely. One complaint is that they allow smoking in the restaurant which was not good for my asthma but since it’s not banned in St. Lucia they’re allowed. The couple who was smoking was sitting right next to our table and did so relentlessly. But we also loved Laurels, a quaint little restaurant that reminds me of being invited to a friend’s home for a nice meal in cozy surroundings. They don’t have a menu but the food was good and everything is about $80 EC and under so it wasn’t expensive. Memories of Hong Kong was another great restaurant which rivals the one’s we have back home in NYC. The ambiance was truly authentic in that it felt like you were in Hong Kong and not in some restaurant dressed up to appear as if they were. My nephew discovered how to use chop sticks properly which was a great feat for him. And then there was the Friday night fish fry we went to in Anse Le Raye which served up seafood galore! My sister and our friend got an ENORMOUS sized helping of lobster. They could barely hold the plate.
We also went zip lining through the rainforest which was not really my idea of fun. My sister and our friend loved it. And it was a series of 7 to do. In all the online reviews we read about the zip line none of them mentioned that you had to do 7 in a row, I guess for the money you pay for it you should do it a number of times. But nevertheless I didn’t like flying through the forest and crying my way through it too. But I did manage to make myself do 5 out of 7 which wasn’t bad at all. Although, if you count driving on those winding roads with the death drop cliffs as an adventure too I did very good if I do say so myself. Yes the roads are something to be reckoned with. We had a steep hill to go up everyday from our villa but it was not as bad as the other villas which were situated much higher on the hills. WOW! What a ride, we got a roller coaster ride the two times we had to ride with other people to drop them off first. I thought I was going to die. But I survived to see another day. LOL The crew of drivers they have are great drivers and I recommend letting the cabs drive you around the island because you really have to know your way around those roads. And they drive so quickly around those bends and turns. For a country to have almost no road signs they are accident free. They honk when turning corners to let other cars on the road know they are coming around which is amazing that they’ve had almost no accidents as opposed to us New Yorkers who have signs on every corner! Amazing! And they drive on the right side of the road so if you don’t drive so well on your left how are you going to drive on the right and up and down and around and around on those roads. It’s best to leave the driving to the native St. Lucian’s and sit back and relax in the AC while taking in the scenery. And snap a few pictures while you’re at it.
The highlight of our trip was spending the day on our private catamaran cruise to wherever. It was SPECTACULAR! AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! Thanks to the resort planner, she helped us book this cruise for the day and it was well worth the money. Simply stunning! We took in the most scenic views and breathed in the loveliest air of the sea. The beautiful jewel toned aqua blue sea was enough to make you never want to live on land again. The sun was beaming down on us but the trade winds made it bearable. This was THE most perfect day ever for cruising the waters of St. Lucia. We stopped by the beautiful island of Marigot Bay. We stopped in Soufriere to tour the Volcano. We did a walk through the rainforest and stopped to play in the waterfall. We also took a dip in the mud baths rumored to be ancient histories secret to youthful skin. It did make our skin softer even though you smell like rotten eggs for a little while. But a dip in the waterfall helped take some of the odor away. Our friend even got our tour guide to help us bottle some up to take home. Shhh don’t tell. The Pitons were glamorously perched along the countryside. It was stunning how the green grass that covered it glistened in the sun and looked like a speckled piece of jewelry. Beautiful! After that they took us to another beautiful drop off point to go snorkeling which was so much fun. I don’t remember the name but it was great to be able to see the various fish swimming around, the coral reefs and my nephew took some nice pictures. It was great! We threw some food in so that we could get a few more fish to come out of hiding and come they did. What a wonderful day it’s been but it wasn’t over yet. The final moments of our day was spent watching the majestic displays of color dance across the sky as the sun set while enjoying a glass of wine and some fruit on our way back to our villa. The sunset was truly a thing of beauty. A strip of reddish orange dashed across the turquoise sky while the sun turned from yellow to orange. Then there were strips of orange, red, and fuchsia against a deep dark blue sky with a fiery red sun heading on a forward descent to the other side of the globe. Finally it was gone and it revealed a gorgeous glistening sea of diamonds in the sky, yes I saw stars. What a wonderful way to end the day. I couldn’t have asked for a better send off. Every night that I sleep I dream of St. Lucia. We have to again thank the event planner at the resort for suggesting a private cruise! It just wouldn’t have been the same if we had to share it with a boatful of other people. Gasp, my heart just sank as I wrote this I miss it so much.
Again, it was an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL FUN FILLED 8 DAYS!!!!!!!! We came hoping to relax and instead got an adventure that will never be forgotten and no other trip we’ve ever taken will compare to this. The only way to top this vacation is to come back to Windjammer and relive the moments again and again. I know now why so many have visited this island paradise so many times. You just can’t stay away!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank reddragonink
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Our family of 6 (kids 20, 18, 13, 10) enjoyed our stay at the beginning of June. This was off-season so we had the run of the place. The staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. The 4 BR villa was spacious, although the air con in 2 of the 4 BRs definitely could have used a freon shot. We had a very weird infestation of tiny bugs throughout the resort one evening, and with the open air format it was a bit uncomfortable, but we have a pretty good tolerance for that kind of thing - it didn't last long. Restaurants were good overall. Don Pepe's was best, along with the Upper Deck. Dragonfly was a little over-rated, and the Friday BBQ was a disappointment. All inclusive eliminated any price considerations so I can't comment on that. We chartered a snorkel boat from Scuba Steve's - would highly recommend that, took us down to the Piton's which were breathtaking. Also did the zipline tour in rain forest, which was fun but a longish ride, however we had a very good and funny guide who made the time fly. the nightlife was very tame, which was fine by my wife and me, but left our two oldest boys a bit disappointed. Resort watersports were fun as well. The resort overall is well kept up, we didn't see much in the way of problems with the guest accomodations or common areas mentioned by others. No issues on security that we could see. The views are every bit as good as the pictures on the web site - sunsets are breathtaking. Overall, a great destination.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Tomphilly
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I went to Windjammer back in April for our honeymoon. WE LOVED IT!!!! I was worried at first because of all the reviews I have read...but found that none of them were true (atleast for us). This hotel is not like anyplace you have ever stayed before. We stayed in a one bed room villa- it was open and yes there were ants and some birds that flew in but that is what you get for staying in a place that is open. Our bedroom was closed off and had air conditioning. The view was amazing...and we loved to just lay on the terrace and look out into the ocean most of the days. We also got to see some amazing sunsets.

We decided to just go with the meal plan that just had breakfast. We discovered it was well worth it too. We would have payed more for the full meal plan than the amount we acutally spent. The breakfasts were AMAZING...so was lunch and dinner. We had the best time.

The front desk was a little hard to deal with- this would probably be the only complaint I have. They were friendly...but would try and sneak things by you that you had already paid for. Just be pushy and stand up for your self. When you go on excursions make sure you have your ticket!!!

We had a blast and would go back again and again and again!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank annahill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!