“AWESOMELY Spectacular - the BEST family vacation ever!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
NYC
“AWESOMELY Spectacular - the BEST family vacation ever!”
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED, LOVED, LOVED St. Lucia and the Windjammer! We wish we didn’t have to leave it was that wonderful!
I and my family absolutely LOVED IT there! The Windjammer is the place to be when visiting and we hope to come back next year if the economy holds up long enough. The villa was PERFECT! It was spectacular to open my room window to see the panoramic views of St. Lucia! We all agreed that having a villa was most beneficial since we’re a family of 7 plus one friend. The rooms were beautiful. Clean and spacious and each had our own bathroom. The open air living room was beautiful and we loved the private pool. When we came home in the evenings from swimming we’d jump right back in the pool before going to bed. Thanks to the cleaning staff who never let us run out of fresh towels and made our beds. I just loved my room, to be able to wake up and watch the sunrise from my bed was just amazing!
Of course I can’t stay in bed forever so off to the pool and beach we went. I loved being so close. I truly felt like a fish. We swam all day just about everyday we were there. The beach was beautiful and we took advantage of the free snorkeling the Windjammer offers for the morning hours. You have to pay for the afternoon one which wasn’t a lot I think it was $5 pr person. But it was so wonderful and they take you out on to another scenic location. I don’t remember the guys name but he was great. He really took care of my nephew since it was his first time snorkeling. He loved it so much and got a little carried away that he tried chasing a school of fish! Needless to say we went snorkeling several times. The main pool was great too and allowed me to get some lap swimming done. We even stayed in the pool while it rained. It was beautiful to watch the raindrops hit the pool surface while submerged under. The kids loved it too! They finally didn’t have to be told to come inside because it’s raining. The rain didn’t last long though, it never does. We liked the daily visits from the fruit man and the sea shell man and the drummer guy. It made hanging out on the beach that much more fun and exciting. They also have a rock climbing ball in the water as well as a water slide which was great fun too! There was lots to explore on the beachfront. We got to swim with a mini school of fish right on the shoreline! So even if you didn’t have to go snorkeling, you had some fish swimming around on the beach. My other nephew loved that since he was not as strong a swimmer in order to go with us snorkeling but next year he will.
The food at the Jammer’s restaurant was great. Most resorts don’t have great onsite restaurants but Windjammer’s fleet of restaurants offered much variety and kept us coming back for more. Next time we’ll do the all inclusive package. Ember’s has great grilled BBQ! We loved the breakfast at the Dragonfly. But we mostly ate at the Jammer’s Bar because it was right there by the pool and beach and just because we liked it so much. The food was great! The music was great! The drinks were great! Everything was great! We didn’t eat at the Upper Deck because that would require us putting clothes back on and well we just didn’t want to. We’d rather stay in the water. Maybe next time we’ll attempt to go here but at the beginning of our stay so we can get to the more important things like snorkeling, water tubing and swimming, etc. LOL There was one more restaurant that we didn’t try which was Papa Don’s but again next time we’ll visit here as well. But no matter which restaurant you go to the food will definitely be great because all the food we’ve eaten was great. So you can’t go wrong.
All the staff members (hotel, cleaning, restaurants) were friendly and personable and treated you as family. They were exceptional. The food on the rest of the island is GREAT too! We loved the Coal Pot best out of these! It was a great restaurant situated on the waterfront of Vigie Marina so that was lovely. One complaint is that they allow smoking in the restaurant which was not good for my asthma but since it’s not banned in St. Lucia they’re allowed. The couple who was smoking was sitting right next to our table and did so relentlessly. But we also loved Laurels, a quaint little restaurant that reminds me of being invited to a friend’s home for a nice meal in cozy surroundings. They don’t have a menu but the food was good and everything is about $80 EC and under so it wasn’t expensive. Memories of Hong Kong was another great restaurant which rivals the one’s we have back home in NYC. The ambiance was truly authentic in that it felt like you were in Hong Kong and not in some restaurant dressed up to appear as if they were. My nephew discovered how to use chop sticks properly which was a great feat for him. And then there was the Friday night fish fry we went to in Anse Le Raye which served up seafood galore! My sister and our friend got an ENORMOUS sized helping of lobster. They could barely hold the plate.
We also went zip lining through the rainforest which was not really my idea of fun. My sister and our friend loved it. And it was a series of 7 to do. In all the online reviews we read about the zip line none of them mentioned that you had to do 7 in a row, I guess for the money you pay for it you should do it a number of times. But nevertheless I didn’t like flying through the forest and crying my way through it too. But I did manage to make myself do 5 out of 7 which wasn’t bad at all. Although, if you count driving on those winding roads with the death drop cliffs as an adventure too I did very good if I do say so myself. Yes the roads are something to be reckoned with. We had a steep hill to go up everyday from our villa but it was not as bad as the other villas which were situated much higher on the hills. WOW! What a ride, we got a roller coaster ride the two times we had to ride with other people to drop them off first. I thought I was going to die. But I survived to see another day. LOL The crew of drivers they have are great drivers and I recommend letting the cabs drive you around the island because you really have to know your way around those roads. And they drive so quickly around those bends and turns. For a country to have almost no road signs they are accident free. They honk when turning corners to let other cars on the road know they are coming around which is amazing that they’ve had almost no accidents as opposed to us New Yorkers who have signs on every corner! Amazing! And they drive on the right side of the road so if you don’t drive so well on your left how are you going to drive on the right and up and down and around and around on those roads. It’s best to leave the driving to the native St. Lucian’s and sit back and relax in the AC while taking in the scenery. And snap a few pictures while you’re at it.
The highlight of our trip was spending the day on our private catamaran cruise to wherever. It was SPECTACULAR! AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! Thanks to the resort planner, she helped us book this cruise for the day and it was well worth the money. Simply stunning! We took in the most scenic views and breathed in the loveliest air of the sea. The beautiful jewel toned aqua blue sea was enough to make you never want to live on land again. The sun was beaming down on us but the trade winds made it bearable. This was THE most perfect day ever for cruising the waters of St. Lucia. We stopped by the beautiful island of Marigot Bay. We stopped in Soufriere to tour the Volcano. We did a walk through the rainforest and stopped to play in the waterfall. We also took a dip in the mud baths rumored to be ancient histories secret to youthful skin. It did make our skin softer even though you smell like rotten eggs for a little while. But a dip in the waterfall helped take some of the odor away. Our friend even got our tour guide to help us bottle some up to take home. Shhh don’t tell. The Pitons were glamorously perched along the countryside. It was stunning how the green grass that covered it glistened in the sun and looked like a speckled piece of jewelry. Beautiful! After that they took us to another beautiful drop off point to go snorkeling which was so much fun. I don’t remember the name but it was great to be able to see the various fish swimming around, the coral reefs and my nephew took some nice pictures. It was great! We threw some food in so that we could get a few more fish to come out of hiding and come they did. What a wonderful day it’s been but it wasn’t over yet. The final moments of our day was spent watching the majestic displays of color dance across the sky as the sun set while enjoying a glass of wine and some fruit on our way back to our villa. The sunset was truly a thing of beauty. A strip of reddish orange dashed across the turquoise sky while the sun turned from yellow to orange. Then there were strips of orange, red, and fuchsia against a deep dark blue sky with a fiery red sun heading on a forward descent to the other side of the globe. Finally it was gone and it revealed a gorgeous glistening sea of diamonds in the sky, yes I saw stars. What a wonderful way to end the day. I couldn’t have asked for a better send off. Every night that I sleep I dream of St. Lucia. We have to again thank the event planner at the resort for suggesting a private cruise! It just wouldn’t have been the same if we had to share it with a boatful of other people. Gasp, my heart just sank as I wrote this I miss it so much.
Again, it was an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL FUN FILLED 8 DAYS!!!!!!!! We came hoping to relax and instead got an adventure that will never be forgotten and no other trip we’ve ever taken will compare to this. The only way to top this vacation is to come back to Windjammer and relive the moments again and again. I know now why so many have visited this island paradise so many times. You just can’t stay away!

• Liked — The panoramic views from our villa, the food, the beach, the pool, everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank reddragonink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
Philly, Pa
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Our family of 6 (kids 20, 18, 13, 10) enjoyed our stay at the beginning of June. This was off-season so we had the run of the place. The staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. The 4 BR villa was spacious, although the air con in 2 of the 4 BRs definitely could have used a freon shot. We had a very weird infestation of tiny bugs throughout the resort one evening, and with the open air format it was a bit uncomfortable, but we have a pretty good tolerance for that kind of thing - it didn't last long. Restaurants were good overall. Don Pepe's was best, along with the Upper Deck. Dragonfly was a little over-rated, and the Friday BBQ was a disappointment. All inclusive eliminated any price considerations so I can't comment on that. We chartered a snorkel boat from Scuba Steve's - would highly recommend that, took us down to the Piton's which were breathtaking. Also did the zipline tour in rain forest, which was fun but a longish ride, however we had a very good and funny guide who made the time fly. the nightlife was very tame, which was fine by my wife and me, but left our two oldest boys a bit disappointed. Resort watersports were fun as well. The resort overall is well kept up, we didn't see much in the way of problems with the guest accomodations or common areas mentioned by others. No issues on security that we could see. The views are every bit as good as the pictures on the web site - sunsets are breathtaking. Overall, a great destination.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Tomphilly
Kennesaw, GA
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I went to Windjammer back in April for our honeymoon. WE LOVED IT!!!! I was worried at first because of all the reviews I have read...but found that none of them were true (atleast for us). This hotel is not like anyplace you have ever stayed before. We stayed in a one bed room villa- it was open and yes there were ants and some birds that flew in but that is what you get for staying in a place that is open. Our bedroom was closed off and had air conditioning. The view was amazing...and we loved to just lay on the terrace and look out into the ocean most of the days. We also got to see some amazing sunsets.

We decided to just go with the meal plan that just had breakfast. We discovered it was well worth it too. We would have payed more for the full meal plan than the amount we acutally spent. The breakfasts were AMAZING...so was lunch and dinner. We had the best time.

The front desk was a little hard to deal with- this would probably be the only complaint I have. They were friendly...but would try and sneak things by you that you had already paid for. Just be pushy and stand up for your self. When you go on excursions make sure you have your ticket!!!

We had a blast and would go back again and again and again!!!

• Liked — We had lots of room and it was very private!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing...I loved everything about it.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank annahill
Kent
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We have just returned from 2 weeks stay at St Lucia's Windjammer Landing resort

We were initially concerned whether wise, about booking a carribean holiday in August, the rainy season, but only experienced 1 full day of rain. There were showers nearly every day, but they would normally last 10 mins, and then you'd have perfect sunny conditions for the rest of the day.

On arriving the staff were very friendly but wanted to sit us down to discuss trips and plan our holiday which after a 15 hours door to door journey, I didn't want to , prefering to settle and find my way around the resort, but it appeared that the room wouldn't be ready til 4pm and we had an hour to therefore kill.

On arriving at the room the cleaner was just leaving and we were blown away with the accomodation. Huge bed, flat screen TV , Balcony and the best view over the beach which was even more fantastic at sunset.
The room also had a fridge, coffee /tea making facilities, hairdryer, iron and board, DVD player, alarm clock radio and safe. It also had a huge walk in wardrobe and plenty of cabinets for storage.

Once unpacked , we headed down to the beach which is stunning. However the swimming area is small in comparison to the beach as a risk of Sea Urchins means that swimming anywhere other than the marked areas is at your own risk.

Also the right hand part of the beach (if facing the sea) suffers from to many stones (which I believed to be a result of heavy rain showers washing the sand away) and loads of ants! However, it does also make for a more secluded and therefore peaceful place to relax.

The resort has 3 swimming pools, all of which are small, but clean and refreshing. We found the Spa pool was a lovely place to sit late afternoon and most of the time , we were the only ones there.

5 Restaurants to choose, Embers & Jammers bar providing Lunch. Papa Don's, Jammers, Upper Deck and Dragonfly offering dinner. We were all inlcusive and found Dragonflys to be superb, closely followed by Papa Dons. Jammers is more quick and easy, and the Upper Deck was just a little disappointing when you compared it to the first two. Note, if going ,stay away from the steaks. Its seems as though there are some real issues with the quality of the steaks out there and a common complaint was that only 25 percent of the steak is edible. The rest is fat and grisle. Everything else to eat was fantastic. My recommendation was the Sashimi Tuna and Red Snapper from Dragonfly.

We did a few trips, madly, we did the bike ride through the rain forest which was really nice but slighly ruined by the rather stupid American man who booked himself onto the trip, knowing how much he hated cycling and how unfit he was. It took him approx 30 seconds to give up and retire to the coach.

We chartered a private boat from Del Boy at Exodus which was fantastic and gave us the oppurtunity to see dolphins, see the west part of the Island and catch some fish. Fantastic trip.

We also did a private tour to the rain forest with an amazing guide called Kim. This guy new absolutely everything about St Lucia. He also took us to some amazing waterfalls and the volcanic healing springs, Thanks Kim. A Great day

We also did the ATV which was also a lot of fun and ended the holiday with the famous Gros Islet Jump Up Party held every Friday night.

The staff at the Windammer including the waiters, watersports staff, cleaners and security staff were all fantastic. The only people I found that I lost repect for were the guys that roam arround the beach chatting all friendly until you agree to view the Time Share presentation. Or as they call it "Private Residents Club". You say Tomato .....

Do yourself a favour, these guys will flatter you and spend time shooting the breeze for days. you'll think they're being friendly and in the end you'll agreeing to a presentation partly because you'll wanna help the guy out and partly because they've made it sound like something you really could afford to be apart of so here the deal 2 weeks in a 2 bed villa, £30000!!!!!

I had to sit for 2 hours before I could find out that price, 2 hours I could have spent the way I wanted had I been aware of the price.
Also once we'ed agreed on the presentation, we never heard from the apparently really friendly rep again. (People by People, If he's reading, he'll know who he is)

On reflection, any complaints I have /had would be some minor when you compare them to our whole holdiay experience. We agreed that this was by far our best holiday and on arriving back to the UK, I found myself looking at prices to book for next year with in 2 hours of being home.

For those going and wanting to ask questions, I'm more than happy to answer and also have the contact details of Kim and Del Boy mention earlier.

• Liked — The attractiveness of the resort
  • Disliked — Set on a hill, with fantastic views
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeyb72
rosemont
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My duaghter wanted a destination wedding. After much research we decided to go with the Windjammer because of its beauty, variety of accomodations, the lovely island of St Lucia, but also because of the helpfulness of the staff. Every question we had was answered by phone, email or mail. They sent us pictures, menues, suggestions - anything we needed. The resort also catered to our 50+ guests that traveled to the island for the wedding. With that many guests there were many concerns and questions and the resort staff did a fabulous job dealing with each and every guest. With the help of two wonderful wedding planners, Melanie & Simone, all details were handled and an effort was made by these ladies to make sure we were pleased - and we were! My family and I also enjoyed our vacation there before and after the wedding.

I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a destination wedding location as well as a wonderful family vacation. It's a romantic place where the staff goes out of it's way to make you happy. Many of us will return for other celebrations!

• Liked — the view from each villa
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank moyerrose
Virginia
Reviewed August 2, 2008

(a foreword: our visit was a year ago)

We visited the Windjammer landing in the summer of '07 as a honeymoon destination. First and foremost, we were so thrilled that we picked the Windjammer over the Sandals resorts (all three of them). From what we have heard, these resorts can sometimes be described as a 'constant toga party' with limited all-you-can-eat options (specifically alcohol related). Not sure how accurate that was but anything remotely like that was not for us!!

FOOD was good- we had the all inclusive package. We would recommend this as vacation is supposed to dissolve stress, this is just another step that made things stress free.
ACCOMODATIONS are very unique (which we loved). definitely NOT the standard 'hotel room' look and feel.

STAFF: front desk was definitely where the resort lacked respect, helpfulness, and service attitude. Can't remember particulars, but it sticks out vividly that it was not fun or speedy to work with them. TREVOR at the Dragonfly was awesome, and one of the nicest, most helpful people we met on the resort. He helped get us waters and cokes on our dinner tab for later in the evening (to take back to our room).

TIMESHARE: They have a great deal where they will give you a hugely discounted cruise if you sit through a "one hour tops, NO pressure one-on-one presentation." We made it very clear very fast that we were not interested at all but we were extremely pressured and asked intrusive questions. It ruined the 90 minutes we sat there and also the 90 minutes or so it took us to calm down afterwards, but the cruise was really outstanding and I guess that made it worth it.

ACTIVITIES were easy to plan through the hotel. We did a zipline tour which was *oustanding*!!!! We loved it and it was well worth the trip.

OVERALL this was an excellent 'out-of-the-ordinary' trip that was refreshingly different than what we were afraid we may find at the popular Sandals resorts.

• Liked — unique flare, villas, location (seclusion, views)
  • Disliked — pressure time share presentation, poor front desk staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Crunchy409
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My family and I just returned from a week long stay at the Windjammer. My husband and I have two children ages 4 and 5. The hotel is very family friendly (only one restaurant does not allow children under the age of 12 for dinner). The staff seemed to enjoy our children very much and were not bothered by any of the kids at the resort. Check in was pretty smooth. The staff greets you with drinks and cold towels when you arrive. The ride from the airport was one hour and a half which was very scenic and very long!!!!!! Our driver Francis was really nice and he stopped at a local bar on the way for the guys to get a beer and for us to take a few pictures.
ACCOMODATIONS- We had a one bedroom villa which consisted of a full kitchen, living room with a sofa sleeper, a full bathroom, and a king size bed in the bedroom with plenty of space. We also had a balcony with an incredible view. This room happened to be closed in pretty much with both rooms air conditioned. Most of our family had open villas which means only the bedroom had air conditioning and the living room is open air. Several of us did experience bugs in our room. Palmetto bugs, ants, frogs,etc. Everyone had ants in their rooms but we just kept our food in the refrigerator the whole time and it wasn't a big deal. Plenty of towels and linens were available for us. We did not have housekeeping come in our room at all during our stay. They left bags of towels and sheets at our door step 2 days in a row and we were happy with that. The villas are not exactly spotless and we wore our shoes around the villa the entire time we were there. We did this because the floors are tile and they hold lots of sand and stuff and with the bugs we just wore our flipflops. We were not in the room at all except to sleep .
SHUTTLE- The villas and rooms are built into the mountain so to speak and to get to the villas it is an uphill walk the whole way. This is very difficult with two tired kids at the end of the night. Most people take the vans to get back and forth. For some guests it is necessary because they are so high up. Lucky for us we were only 4 roads up so it was a hike but if we needed to we walked. We walked down to the lobby/beach area every morning. The vans were pretty dependable during the day but at night we waited for 30 minutes or more and then ended up walking anyways. I think the service could be improved and more consistent. The longer the wait was the more people piled up at the waiting area and then it was a struggle to get a spot in the van at times. This will not ruin a trip but it is frustrating at times.
FOOD- There are 5 restaurants at the resort. 4 of them are at the lobby/beach area. There is only one restaurant that serves breakfast so there is no choice but to eat there everyday. This gets a little old after 5 days, but if you mix up what you eat then you should be o.k. I thought the food at the pool area restaurant (Jammers) was pretty good. We had really good burgers and sandwiches there for lunch. I like the relaxed atmosphere at the pool. The service on the beach is wonderful. Just put your flag up and the server comes to get your order. The service was pretty fast for a Caribbean resort. Papa Don's Italian restaurant did not impress us that much. The food was not that great in my opinion. The Upper Deck restaruant was pretty good for dinner. The menus are pretty diverse and the food is expensive if you do not do all inclusive. The drinks were o.k. the guys on the trip seemed to enjoy a drink called the Big Banana. They make a frozen fruit punch for the kids which was nice. I suggest ordering soft drinks and water at the bar and keeping them in your room instead of buying them at the store they have there. We saved money doing that. The only issue I have with this all inclusive resort is that everytime you order something you have to sign for it and put your room number and name EVERYTIME! This was a little weird but it makes sense for them because not everyone there is all inclusive, it just became annoying after like the 2nd day of signing all the time.
POOL/BEACH- The beach swimming area is fairly small but it was decent enough and the kids enjoyed it. There were plenty of chairs everyday for all of the guests. We swam in 6 different pools and they were all nice and had a great view. Not much shade around the pool areas. It is easy to get around the beach and pool areas. The towels are given when you turn in your tags everyday and you are charged if you do not get your tags back for check out (25.00 a piece) so hang on to your towels and tags!!
I liked the soap dispensers at the shower areas at the beach..this was a pretty nice idea.
OVERALL-The island is beautiful and the staff was pretty friendly for the most part. The food gets redundant after a few days but it was pretty good. I don't like the open air rooms just because of the bugs and I would recommend bug spray. We had a good time and my sister's wedding was beautiful. I would recommend any kind of cruise or sunset cruise because it is wonderful. There are many activities available to keep you busy at the resort like skiing and tubing, kayaking,etc. It was a good trip and the views are outstanding but I will not be returning to St. Lucia any time soon. Too many places to see around the world!

• Liked — The views but you can get those anywhere on the island!
  • Disliked — The open air rooms and the bugs!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank SSLONG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!