We have just got back from Windjammer Landing.
First the pluses.
Jammer's staff and waiting staff generally were excellent this year. There was far less of the laissez faire attitude we had experienced previously.
Housekeeping (after an initial shaky start - no dressing gowns) were very good and our villa was kept spotless by Mathilda and her colleagues. They looked after us very well and we had towels and flannels a plenty. We rarely had to ask for anything. Excellent!
Food was good, and, as usual I really liked the Jammer's menu. Soups in particular. Big up to Virginia for her cooking of fish. My Red Snapper was so good I called her out of the kitchen to say thankyou. She also has a lovely singing voice !!
Pools were very clean and watersports were good. Trevor and Romanus in particular were great and Romanus continues to provide an exceptional snorkelling experience.
Our Jacuzzi was not heating up and I reported this to our Ambassador, Tasha. She got maintenance to sort this out immediately. Good for Tasha and Maintenance as I had a lovely warm jacuzzi to rest/sleep in for the rest of the fortnight. :-)
The hammocks at the end of the beach under mature trees providing shade are wonderful and were very popular with early risers. I understand that these and the trees are being removed as part of the expansion problem. I really hope that WJL will reconsider this as the owners are not happy about it and there were mutterings during the owners' party!!
Unfortunately there were negatives which impacted our stay quite badly.
1) Building work going on in Villa 47 - apparently unauthorised but involved angle grinders, hammering, drilling, tiles being dropped from a height etc. The Management were sympathetic and chucked the builders out but they kept returning and we had this going on for a week. We never had an explanation as to why the builders kept being let back in! Surely security at all sides of the access routes should have been told! I wrote to Management and have since received an apology but this is not good - especially in the High Season when our contract contains a non-disturbance clause. We were given a bottle of fizzy blanc-de-blanc as compensation by Franz Starker, the Timeshare head. Thanks Franz!
2) Electronic Keys
We had a problem with keys resulting in us being locked out of our villa in the dark in the rain and halfway up a steep hill after midnight. The shuttle driver (a trainee) did not wait to see if we could get into our villa. We used our mobile phones (at high cost) to phone WJ via England and ask for a spare key to be sent up.
On returning the old keys and getting new ones we were accused, quite forcefully, of having an extra set. We were pestered about this, in person and by phone by several members of staff. When we challenged this, the GM proudly stated that his system could "do no wrong" and pointed out that we had accessed the villa with the "new" set of keys at a certain time. As, at that time, we were at another resort where we met with the GM there and also worked with the band we could prove that we were not there at that time. The issuing of this second set to persons unknown negated our set causing us to be locked out!
The unauthorised access situation was eventually solved - after we had returned to the UK - when it was shown that a member of staff had used new guest keys to access our villa to put the blanc-de-blanc in it rather than using the Master set. We had suggested this as a solution to the GM but got laughed at, in public, for the suggestion.
We have, since our return, received an apology from the Managing Director, Mark Ozawa, who was off resort during this period. However, this matter was NOT investigated properly at the time and I spent the second week worrying that our security was compromised in the villa.... This was not pleasant at all.
In spite of all this, we did have a great holiday but those two incidents were enough to make me say that WJL need to sort out its problems and have some respect for their owners/guests should situations crop up like this. It is a great pity because we have always got on with the GM in the past. Maybe he was having an off week!
I look forward to our next trip and hope that it will be better than our last one :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, West Indies, BookIt.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Travelocity, Cancelon, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries