“ANOTHER WONDERFUL STAY”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“ANOTHER WONDERFUL STAY”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just got back from our second trip to the Windjammer-Landing during the first week of December and again we know why we went the first time. We have travel to a lot of places and this is probably one of the ones we like the most. The best thing we like about the resort is the view from the units that are built on the hill side. It is hard to beat. We were there two years ago and thought the unit would be hard to beat, but this time it was even better. We had a two bedroom room unit in the estate villas with a large individual pool. The unit was very clean and plenty of room for 4 people. The unit we stayed in several years ago was an open type of unit, but we understand they are upgrading and enclosing many of the units.
The resort has an option inclusive plan for meals with three different choices. We went with the half board selection, as they called it and found we were very happy with the decision. There are five restaurants on the resort with Papa Docs being the best. The food is about twice what you would pay in the US and the resort prices may be a little more expensive than outside the resort but all food on the island is more expensive.We ate at several restaurants in Rodney Bay and found the food good there also. We would say this is not a party type of resort, but one that caters to families and couples. The resort provides a lot of activities and there are many water things that are provided free while there. Also every night entertainment is provide which we enjoyed very much. There are several pools which are not that large, however we found most people use the beach anyway.
We also found the staff very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate any needs we had. Also we found if we had any problems, Helen Richards was the person to see. She was the "can do" lady and came thru on several things.

In closing we would like to say this is the only resort we have gone back to a second time.We have stayed in many resorts and this is one of our favorites. I am sure we will be going back.

Room Tip: We had unit 500 which is in the estate villas, which is near the top of the hill. Great view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmancharlotte,nc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed there the week ending 12/14/2013. On the plus side, the place is beautiful. The room was great and the balcony was large with a wonderful view. The staff was excellent and the beach area was very nice.

On the minus side, this place is on a very steep hill. It is a hike to walk from the beach to your room. They do provide a shuttle service, but there are still many steps to get to the entrance to your room. Elderly and out-of-shape beware. The only part of the resort I did not like was the pool area. There were not many chairs and almost no shady areas nor were there umbrellas.

If you go to St. Lucia, it is best not to leave the resort. While the island itself does not appear unsafe, it is very poor. The road to the hotel has several dogs that like to chase cars. The driving is treacherous, roads are narrow, and there are large drainage ditches on the side of the road. Other than in Castries, they also do not seem to believe in street signs and directions are difficult to follow. In the small towns the locals live in shacks and wander the streets like zombies. They don't even move when they hear a car coming (interestingly, the dogs, goats and roosters seem to be intelligent enough to move out of the street when they hear you coming). One bridge we came to had a sign that said "Bridge in poor repair, go slowly." Not very comforting.

Room Tip: Almost all are on a hill facing the ocean, but most are far away from it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tnt1971
orange park, florida
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We recently visited St. Lucia for a destination wedding for our son. While the resort was very beautiful, the staff very courteous, there was no help for any problems that arose. We were booked into a room with no windows and no air conditioning in the villa other than in the bedrooms. My husband had already had health issues and was sweating profusely and uncomfortable. after presenting the problem to management, they offered to move us, but never did. Our booking at the resort for ziplineing was ruined on my son's birthday because our ambassador never called to confirm our booking. We ended up booking with no problem with James Tours - James was fantastic and I would definitely recommend his services. While at the resort, I expressed our problems with the Managing Director Mr. Ozawa - we were ready to leave in a few days so he asked that I email my concerns. I truly felt he would address the issues, but again, my voice was unheard. I wrote him over a month ago, and haven't even received an apology. We were a group of approximately 35 guests. Our cost for our family alone was over $7000. I would have at least expected an apology - that's all I really wanted. Being a nurse, and my husband in sales and marketing, we both are very customer service oriented, and would never allow something like this to happen. Shame on you Mr. Ozawa for not being true to your word.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank grtns
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
I am sorry that I did not reply to your message from November 19. I apologize that we did not handle your room complain or your excursion issue properly. After receiving your note, I did meet with the managers responsible for handling your situations. We agreed that we did not handle your issues correctly and we've taken steps to insure others receive better service. I thank you for the positive comments about your wedding as well the notes about Andre, Keisha, Jerenita, and Zilla. I've forwarded your notes to their managers.

Regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Riverside, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This resort is lovely, every room has a stunning view of the ocean, and our family stayed in the Hibiscus suites, which were extraordinary. Any small issue we had, such as a loose shower handle, or safe reset, was resolved so quickly that we didnt have time to be inconvenienced or without anything. The staff helped us with travel plans, and expeditions around the island. The food was great, and appealed to all of us-, there was even a little grocery store on the property to use our in-suite kitchen! The free Wi-fi available all around the resort was handy as well. We all agreed that we would return to this beautiful place, and wouldnt stay anywhere but the Windjammer Landing again.The warmth from the staff was genuine and refreshing! Go there! Stay there!

Room Tip: I recommend the Hibiscus suites, as that was our experience. I didnt hear any guests complaining
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anita p
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Great cove location. Amazing rooms, phenomenal food, excellent service. Little night life (no club or disco). No waves. Good variety of water sports and equipment. Nice beach. Would recommend renting a car and driving around. Also, you can walk to the main road (approx. 25 mins) and take public transportation for very cheap. Do not do this at night. You will walk by local residents. A lot of fun. Amazing drinks. Very peaceful and quiet. Not for party couples or for those wanting a party atmosphere. Very romantic.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach/bar if you like the beach. It's quite a walk up the steep h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have just returned from our 5th visit to Windjammer, we meet up with our family who live in Canada for two weeks of quality time - they are timeshare owners. This is a great place, with all the villas having stunning view points, a safe beach and on the whole good service. We don't go 'all inclusive', but choose to have a rental car giving us independence and the ability to eat off resort. Over the years we have gradually seen a decline in the quality of food, menu's hardly change from one year to the next but prices have increased. Unless you don't want to venture offsite, like your booze then all inclusive may well suit you but we like to cook our own breakfasts ( great supermarkets only 15mins away for fresh fruit, bakery products and alcohol). We lunch at Jammers or Embers then eat dinner out at one of the many great restaurants in Rodney Bay.

Bug bears this trip included lots of niggling things including cold food ( chips and soup, yuck!), lack of menu choice, Upper Deck closed again, workman on the boardwalk every day, check out ( took an hour and a half this year, which is a record for me and this was even asking on three occasions for the bill to be adjusted prior to leaving.

Positives - the hammocks at the end of the beach. Ricky Charlemagne on the front desk for finally getting my bill sorted where others had completely failed, but also for making a genuine apology for his colleagues failings. Great housekeeping staff (big thank you to Joelle). Loved the Christmas lights. Loved meeting up with other timeshare owners that are now friends and seeing their children grow, spending time with my nephew once a year. The amazing sunsets.

Requests - a proper coffee bar! Been asking for this ever since we started visiting. A larger swimming area on the beach ( due to urchins at the north end). Keener prices in the restaurants may keep us on site in the evenings!

Room Tip: Estate villas are great, we stay in 407 usually, but 400 is a favourite along with 406.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank essexdevongirl
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I am at the Windjammer and have been here for 24 hours.

It is a beautiful resort, the views are stunning and so far the food is ok. I would not call the food 5 star, but the natural beauty is 5 star. The rooms are great. I am close the the spa and a nice pool and hottub.

When I arrived the safe in the room wasn't working and In fact it was replaced over the course of the day, that was great service.

Advice: book a helicopter from the airport - the drive is closer to two hours from the airport and it is a long and winding road. Not good for the car sick person or the weary traveller. The airport, upon arrival does not offer any drinks or food so pack something in your carry on. I think the Windjammer should arrange for helicopter transport, it would make the resort more appealing to return to. Either way, so far it was worth the drive, but I have booked a helicopter back!

The all inclusive is definitely the way to go because it is pricey. However, beware, you don't get an armband like traditional all inclusive resorts, you have to sign a receipt/bill every time you get a drink or meal. This gets really awkward when you are just looking for a bottle of water, do I give tips.....or are tips included in the all inclusive price? Perhaps someone will respond to this query from the Windjammer?

If you are looking for long walks on the beach .....this is not the place for you.

If you are looking for R&R this is the place for you.

If you are looking for some awesome day trips to Martinique or touring Saint Lucia in an open air jeep or catamaran, this is the place for you.

Be prepared to use the shuttle to the beach etc. from your room, it is a steep walk. Lucky for me I'm close enough to walk.

I had dinner at Poppa Dons this evening, it was just mediocre to me. I had dinner at Jammers last evening and it was divine!

It is a 4 star resort with some need for attention in the all inclusive world which in my mind would turn it into a 5 star resort!

I'm not sure yet if I will return.....I will report back after I have returned home and absorbed the week.

I hope this review is helpful to you. Happy travels!

Note: I have not yet used the Soa and therefore could not rate it.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a lovely view as far as I can see.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank LoriJean63
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We chose to go with a check system as we have guests on a variety of meal plans. We find the majority of guests would prefer to not wear wristbands so our systems track your different food and beverage charges and properly allocate them to either a meal plan or to your room account. There is a service charge on the food and beverage charges. The service charge monies are then distributed to all staff members. Any additional gratuity to you choose to leave will go directly to the staff member who served you.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay; please let me know if there is anything we can do for you!

Warm regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!