“Dream Holiday.....”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
WELLS, Somerset.UK
“Dream Holiday.....”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

After a few duff holidays recently, I was determined to have a god one, for the whole family. The villa was spacious, with high quality room service every day. High on the hill, we were concerned initially because my wife has collapsed knee joints, however we had no problem with the very quick and convenient free shuttle bus services that would respond within minutes of a phone call. My 10 year old son loved all the free activities, especially the snorkelling, windsurfing, canoeing, and catamaran sailing. Food was consistently good, and although sometimes not Michelin star it was made freshly with decent local ingredients. We missed a trick and only went to Papa Dons on the last night. Anyway, service from the very attentive staff was excellent, and the attitude of trying to be helpful was a refreshing change from many so call 5star resorts. The only downside was the sales team trying to sell a timeshare on the resort, but even this was discrete and relatively painless. Overall, I would give a very strong 4.5 from 5, and perhaps my sons little message for the housekeepers ( we had no idea he had written it) is the best way to leave this overwhelmingly positive review.
Finally, the St Lucian's are without doubt 10x more friendly than the grumpy bajans only a few miles over the Carribean seas. Great trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sigi H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just returned from a week stay at Windjammer Landing Beach Resort. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The accommodation was spotless, well appointed and comfortable. Upon arrival we were greeted with welcome drinks and cold towels. We were transported to our villa in one of the shuttle buses. The staff were always extremely pleasant and courteous. They took the time to speak with us and patiently answered questions. Everyone went the extra step to ensure our stay was pleasant. The beach towels are distributed on an as needed basis, which was a pleasant change. Our 7 year old enjoyed the Kids Club activities which included a cocktail party one day, a Halloween party and a Pirate night. The kids Club Staff were especially kind and had a knack of keeping the children engaged. The only negative was the breakfast arrangement at the Dragonfly Restaurant. It would be acceptable if you have the all-inclusive. At US$30 per person, a buffet would offer a better quality and variety and certainly more pleasant staff. On one occasion, we waited 20 minutes before a server approached us to ask if we were served.
The service at the other bars and the other restaurants was always great. Thank you, Angus and staff for your efforts. The food was delicious. Our personal concierge Charlene was amazing and super friendly. The front desk staff even printed our boarding passes before we left for the airport. We had a lovely vacation and cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: Call the resort ahead as some rooms or villas are closer to the resort facilities while others that...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had a lovely time at this resort and would highly recommend it. We stayed at this resort from 8th to 18th September. On arrival at the Hotel we were greeted and served a rum punch cocktail and checked in to our room in no time at all. We had booked a 2 bedroom villa with pool and were upgraded to a 3 bedroom (17bcd) The Villa was lovely and had a great view and a good degree of privacy on the pool area. Our Bedroom had the most amazing comfortable bed ever! The kitchen area had absolutely everything you need except we stayed all inclusive. The AINC Programme at this resort even includes Motorised Water sports which was a first for us. We went to the Beach every day and never had a problem with sunbeds although the hotel wasn't full.
We thought all the food was very good to excellent, even the Buffet which I'm not usually that keen on! We liked the upper deck best of all and ate there several times during our stay although there are quite a few options on where to eat! The Entertainment was very good too which we enjoyed very much. The Hotel Staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for us. We'd like to say a Special Thank you to Essie on Reception (what a lovely Lady) Barry our main Barman at 'Jammers' and also Alex, Daniel, Ernest, Herbert and Jeff which were ALL EXCELLENT who made our Holiday that extra special. We'd also like to mention Michael our waiter in Upper Deck one evening who was SUPERB. Also all the other staff there who's names we didn't get. They all work very hard indeed to make your stay there more memorable.

We were lucky with the weather and only had a few rain showers now and then which disappeared as quick as they came. If you're a Mosquito bite sufferer like me then I'd recommend you take 100% Deet repellent with you as the Mozzies are a bit of a nuisance but obviously must be expected on a Tropical island.

Oh, and don't forget to try the Chairman's Spiced Rum that's 118% proof!!!

Keep up the good work Windjammer and we'll definitely return some day!

Thanks again

Andy & Tina

Room Tip: Go for a Villa with it's own private pool, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank andy320clk
yakima
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Views were outstanding! The water sports and snorkeling a MUST! We loved the buffet breakfast. Our favorite restaurant was Papa Dons, however we loved them all. The villa was so charming and large. They have endless activities to do through out the day. We loved water aerobics and pool volleyball. They do have steep HILLS and we did use the shuttle and never had to wait. If fact, sometimes it was outside before us. We loved this resort and would love to return.

If I had to point out a few negatives it would be-the water is murky at the hotel beach. It is clear when you go snorkeling on the boat. Some days it was clear and others very murky. We still loved it!!
We did go All Inculsive and the food is expensive and this is the best value if you plan on eating at the resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank bmaybee67
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a 2 bedroom estate villa with plunge pool. We really enjoy this resort. We just returned from a month long vacation. The staff are very friendly and we can't say enough about the views and overall ambience of the resort. We requested our normal house cleaning lady (Lisa). She is a very wonderful person and does a fantastic job (thanks Lisa) as well as Jessica in the timeshare sales (yes it wasn't hard to sell us some more time! lol). Thanks Jessica for all the work you have done for us!!! We hope you enjoy the gifts. We are returning in the spring for another month and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort too any of our friends or family!! Awesome, relaxing and amazing. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BBDsnationals
Kansas City
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We just returned from honeymooning at the Windjammer. Overall, we had a great experience. The staff was very friendly, and the grounds were amazingly beautiful. We originally reserved a premium ocean view room, and it was beautiful upon arrival. But, we noticed a small drip from one of the beams in the room (and I mean small, but big enough it was going to create a puddle eventually), so we informed the front desk, thinking they would want to know to fix it for us. Instead, they immediately changed our room (with our permission), and we got to stay in a one-bedroom villa. It was amazing! The view from our balcony (which is probably the same view for about every room) was so beautiful. I spent more time there than any other place.

It is true that some rooms are quite a hike from the reception area/main pool/beach, but we just chalked it up to our daily exercise. When we did use the shuttles to/from our room, they came very quickly, so I don't think it would have been too inconvenient to use every time.

The beach wasn't huge (and I have no idea what kind of capacity the Windjammer was at while we were there), but we had no trouble finding shaded loungers each day we went to the beach. There always seemed to be plenty. We actually spent one afternoon at the upper pool closer to our room, and we had it to ourselves.

The main reason I have four instead of five dots/stars, is the food. Although all of our meals were pretty good, none of them were great. I know that's how it goes with resorts that have the AI option, so we expected it. The main courses always were good portions, but the appetizers we noticed were clearly not meant for sharing. Every app we got, we were disappointed at the portion size (again, I think this is a product of AI). We only got dessert one night, and it was good and a good portion, even for sharing.

As for the restaurants... we ate at Jammers twice, Upper Deck and Papa Don's once. I think Papa Don's was probably our favorite. Jammers was good both times. I got the daily catch both times (mahi and kingfish), and my husband got the steak once. We're from the midwest, so our steak standards are probably pretty high compared to most. He thought it was fine, but nothing special. I thought the best part of my meal was the salsa. Delicious. Seriously delicious. The fish was very good as well. I think we were a little disappointed with the Upper Deck, but only because we expected it to be more upscale and a higher quality than Jammers. They share a kitchen, so we should have realized the food was going to be pretty much the same. We only ate at the Dragonfly for breakfast on our last day. I had no complaints, but my husband did note the pancakes/syrup/something was off.

I feel like I've railed on the food a little bit here, so please don't misinterpret, we had a wonderful stay. The ONLY hesitation I would have about going back to Windjammer if we returned to St. Lucia would be whether or not we wanted to stay on that part of the island again. Otherwise, I really would recommend it!

Room Tip: As I stated in my review - the one bedroom villa was perfect for us (one couple). We were not AI, s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erinbKansasCity
Baltimore
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My daughter was married at the end of September, and this was the location she and her now-husband chose for their wedding.

From the moment we arrived, I realized this was going to be a very special trip -- the property was absolutely gorgeous, there were no bad views to be found, and the staff was so attentive and kind. (And don't get me started on the rum punch that was handed to me upon arrival...oh my that was good!)

Our room was compact, but not overly small, very efficiently laid out, and very clean. We had a lovely sea view from the front balcony, and the grounds were expertly maintained. But you don't come to the Caribbean to spend time in your room!

The restaurants are fantastic -- we spent a lot of time at Jammers, the more casual seaside bar, but also had a lovely dinner at Papa Don's, a less casual (but not formal or stuffy) restaurant further up the hill.

The wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner were efficiently facilitated by the attentive staff, and the wedding itself, and the reception, came off without a single glitch -- I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone who's thinking of a destination wedding.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time for activities or the spa -- but that gives me even more reason to go again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank carolott1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,081 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!