“Highs and lows”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
UK
“Highs and lows”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed at the Windjammer a few weeks ago in a 2 bedroom villa with a plunge pool.

Things we liked about the resort:

Food - generally excellent for an all inclusive property - particularly liked the Upper Deck

Drinks - good selection of cocktails at the bars etc

Entertainment - great bands / limbo night etc

Watersports - kids loved the included waterskiing, paddle boards, ringos, inflatable sofa etc

Down-sides:

Villa was a bit tired - some furnishings were brand new (big flat screen tvs) but other aspects, like the kitchen, plunge pool and bathroom needed a major refurb

Beach - plenty of sunbeds and towels but quite a limited swimming area - a large chunk of the beach fronts on to shallow, unswimmable, murky water

Patchy service at times - no sign of drinks service on the beach, the bar on the beach and the ice cream counter were often untended for periods of time

Getting mini-buses to villas sometimes involved an unacceptably long wait....

Overall - we enjoyed our stay and would consider visiting again but would probably book into the Hibiscus accommodation which would significantly reduce the down sides listed above.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The location is perfect and the feel is relaxing. The staff are very attentive and make you feel like you're the one it's all about. The villas are beautiful and while some are older, well maintained. The food could be better. It's not the worst, but far from the best. We bought a time share for one of the villas 8 years ago on our first visit and this was our first trip back. I'm glad to see that I still feel as I did way back then. Come and discover for yourself!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TJ4084
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

How exclusive..... It is located 1 mile from the main highway, secluded within tropical hillside greenery and stunning Caribbean ocean views. Truly a picturesque property. The staff was very courteous and hospitable and the Hibiscus Villa (# 22) was similar to a chic condo. I loved having the private pool right on the patio balcony. There was plenty to do on and off the resort. I loved the variety of water sports and I especially loved the nightly entertainment with the Xtent Live Band and DYP band & fire dancers that Windjammer hosted within our 7 day stay. The professional photographer, Peter, took the most amazing sunset pictures which I truly adore. Essie, Daryl, Lawrence, and Kershara, were also wonderful reception staff that made each day flow smoothly. Of course, my favorite person was my massage therapist, Juliana, who provided the best massage ever at the Serentity Spa. I mustn't forget Heston, Gilbert, Terry, and many of the other shuttle transport staff who provided constant transport around the Windjammer property and always had pleasant and upbeat conversations. Thanks to Julian who, also, had a very clean and comfortable taxi which took me to Gros Islet. The Windjammer provided the best getaway experience for this St Lucia vacation. Make sure you attend the Tuesday Managers Cocktail hour for a chance to meet and greet all managers from the different departments of the Windjammer Resort. My family and I enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LadyJBe10
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Myself and my partner recently returned from a 3 night stay in Windjammer (on a b&b basis) and had a wonderful time over there. Windjammer is about 15 min ride from the airport and we paid $20 US for it. Upon arrival we experienced one of the nicest welcome we ever had. The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful and the driver dropping us to our villa was just adorable - he refused to let us carry anything, insisting on doing it himself. He showed us our villa (no 121) and when he realised that there are no batteries in the remote for air conditioning, he made a phone call and 2 technicians came within 10 minutes to bring the batteries and check if everything else was ok. The villa itself was lovely, very rustic and charming - kind of Greek/Spanish style. The villa consisted of a cozy bedroom, very clean and modern bathroom, small but very well equipped kitchen, nice sitting area and a wonderful patio with tables and chairs and 2 sunbeds. The view from the villa was beautiful even though the villa was not so high up. We walked down from the villa to the main area every time (5 min walk) as it was a nice walk but we used the shuttle busses on the way up - very efficient. The resort in general is wonderful and great value for the money. It has a wide selection of restaurants (we tried Papa Don's and Jammers and have to say I would only grade the food as ok for the price; breakfast included in our package was good) and many pools to choose from. There was some meitenance work going on when we were there however straight away we were warned about it and receive $100US to use in any of the restaurants, bars or spa to compensate for any potential inconvenience - a little bit of noise and one pool closed for 2 days were the only things that we experienced. In relation to the spa, we received a complimentary foot treatment which was nice. We decided to treat ourself also to a couple massage ($155US) and received a complimentary body scrub with it (a daily special). The massage itself was ok but it lasted shorter than it was suppose to + the ladies were whispering to each other every so often which made us feel a little bit uncomfortable as we did not know if they were talking about us (it would have been a nightmare for self conscious people I imagine). The spa experience was a little bit disappointing but it didn't change our views regarding the resort - its a wonderful place with a nice beach and plenty of things to do including fitness activities (abs classes, aqua aerobics etc) and water adventures (snorkeling, water skiing etc). Richard, the resort manager is there for you at all times to ensure you'll be leaving the resort with similar opinions :)

4 Thank ReasonWhy
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time in St. Lucia. It is a quaint resort nestled in the hillside of the bay. There are plenty of water activities to try out and there are an ample number of spaces on the beach or poolside to enjoy the sun. We had a premium ocean view room and loved our roof top deck with a great panoramic view. On a clear day, we could see the outline of Martinique! There are shuttles available to take you up to your room or back down to the main part of the resort, but we usually just walked. It wasn't too bad of walk up the hill.
The all-inclusive option is was easy to use. It is a little different than some other all-inclusive resorts as there are no wrist-bands. Everything is signed to your room and then the included charges are deducted from your room bill. We were able to try out all of the restaurants and all the food was very good.
We were there during the rainy season, but usually only rained for a few minutes and then was beautiful the rest of the day. We also went on the day sail to Souffrie and would highly recommend it. You get to see a variety of highlights of the island.
We would definitely go back someday. The staff from the resort and others we met were welcoming and friendly.

4 Thank SWollbrink
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We booked a Premium ocean view room but on arrival we were given a villa (44B) with the view of the cab stand. I was given the premium ocean view after I requested a room change (211). The villa was the best thing that this resort was able to offer me.

Day one I was confronted with a situation that I never thought I would have experience at a so call five star resort. Stray cats roam the entire property including all of the restaurants. I booked this resort because they advertised no pets allowed. So, the last thing I expected was to be confronted with over a dozen cats roaming the property. As a result, I was unable to utilize any of the commons space, i.e. pool, beach, and poolside bar. During my meals I was uncomfortable because I had to continually check to make sure the cats were not coming near my table. I was given one night complimentary room service so that was the best night I had for dinner.

In an attempt to save my vacation, I checked into other resorts in the area but I found out that the cats were at all the resorts on the Island and during my only excursion a person who was staying at the Sandals informed me that one of the stray cats jumped on her while she was having her dinner. So, I remained trapped in my villa counting down the days that I would be returning home.

The food at the resort was below standard for my taste. The breakfast menu and buffet should be upgraded. I found the additional charge for lobster when you have already paid for a meal plan was petty and should have been automatically included especially since it was only offered for one night. The menu should be changed daily because who would want to eat the same meal everyday while on vacation. The liquid was not top shelf and it lacked a variety like it was advertised and the drinks were watered down which did not make sense to me because we paid for an all inclusive.

Finally, we did the couple spa treatment and as a result I developed a rash on my neck from the oil that was used. Another first for me so I would say beware of the products they used. The massage itself was good.

Room Tip: Any villa where cats are unlikely to be unless you like cats!