“Truly Paradise”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
schoolmarm150@aol.com
“Truly Paradise”
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I just returned from two weeks at Windjammer. We had the most amazing time and can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was. Everything was fantastic from the view from our villa to the service from each and every staff member. These people went out of their way to see that our wishes were met. The employees also like to share information about their island. We feel like we received a little bit of an education, as well. We especially liked how everyone was on "island time" and really allowed us to relax and enjoy our vacation. While we were there, we took advantage of a couple of excursions arranged by the tours desk. We also spent a great deal of time lying on the beach and swimming in the various pools. The manager's cocktail party allowed us to meet and mingle with other guests, as did the water aerobics classes. The grounds of the resort are impeccably well kept and the colors of the flora and fauna are breathtaking. This was our second visit to Windjammer, and we're already planning our next!

• Liked — The view is beautiful; the people are friendly.
2 Thank kellymb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
Toronto
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Two words to describe our experience at The Windjammer landing resort, Absolutely Brilliant.

My wife and I recently got married there and it was truly remarkable. If you have been any where in the Caribbean then you are probably familiar with the one size fits all, of the all inclusive hotels, well Windjammer is a breath of fresh air, our Villa, which we shared with two other couples was glorious, it was spacious, clean and individually decorated. The Villas and the premises are also well guarded and secure.

The staff were friendly, efficient and professional, as opposed to the overbearing service you find at other hotels in the Caribbean, special thanks must go the Guest Services Manager Ms. Joan De lima and Ms. Karen Antoine who made our stay and our wedding the most beautiful day of our lives, When at Windjammer make it a point to call on them.

There was a variety of good food to pick from, well prepared, well served, clean and fresh. Front Desk staff were friendly and very good at recommending local things to do and places to see, things that you won’t find in brochures and tour information.

The facilities were top grade, I particularly enjoyed the Spa, the ladies there helped easy my wedding jitters just hours before my wedding, I highly recommend the Spa for anyone needing to relax both body and mind. Tours of the Island can be arranged without fuss at the front desk our you could simply rent a car and do it all yourself. Windjammer has access to a long sandy beach, prefect for a moonlight walk.

Having been to St Lucia several times in terms of bang for buck Windjammer landing resort is Absolutely Brilliant

Happy Holidays

• Liked — Cleanliness, briliant views and the feeling that I was not in a one size fits all hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe33x
Wichita, KS
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed on St Lucia for nine days starting June 20. We stayed at three different resorts during our stay but the bulk of it was at Windjammer. (7 days) We rented a car while there and did not do the "all inclusive" thing (a wise choice) Our stay at Windjammer was very good but the staff was not very informative about the activities or information we wanted about the island. The clear impression we got was to stay in the resort and don't wander out on your own. We did encounter some nervous tension when we ventured out into the villages and shops outside the resort. My suspicions were confirmed by some conversation with locals. The government has really sold these poor people out and most on the island live in abject poverty. The resorts are oasis' for tourists and do not reflect the true nature of the island. The prices on St Lucia are akin to Hawaii but without the comfort or cleanliness. This island has a long way to go but is charging you as though they are already there. Clearly they are not. I would not recommend renting a car but use the taxis and venture out only with a good driver. The food at the resort is very good and the staff is friendly. Do not add your tips into the check. They already hit you for a ten percent "service charge" but we got the impression the staff doesn't see any of this gratuity. By tipping in cash directly to your server, the service tends to be better each time you visit the restaurants. Maybe word gets around???? We did enjoy the cleaning staff. They took very good care of us. No laundry facilities for us to use and laundry was expensive and slow. Security was good as far as the main gate but I would not trust the safe or the room deadbolts. The suites are easily accessibleto unsavory characters so don't leave anything of value behind. Don't be put off by some of the other reviews that mention bugs and lizards. This is a tropical island and these critters abound just like other islands. These people obviously haven't travelled much and just don't get it. Besides the geckos are a delight and don't bother you. Ants, bugs, mosquitos...yeah, they live here too. Get over it! Overall, a very good experience. The other two resorts we stayed at had their own charms and problems but the value was much better at Windjammer. I can't say I would recommend St Lucia as a vacation destination. There are much better places to go in the islands but, if you're going there, Windjammer would be a good choice. Oh yeah, we settled our bill, food, grocery store, laundry and all for $730 US for both of us. Much less than the all iclusive fees.

• Liked — Staff, food
  • Disliked — Too secluded, island tooexpensive for what you get
1 Thank MikeyheyMikey
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 29, 2008

My husband and I along with our 12m old baby had an amazing time at Windjammer resort. We were there for 9 nights in the beginning of May 2008. The reason I chose this resort was because I wanted a suite or villa with resort amenities. I didn’t want to cook and clean while on vacation, so housekeeping and some kind of room service were essential. Secondly, our son naps twice a day totaling 3-4 hours in a day. Having a private pool allowed my husband and I fully enjoy our vacation time poolside while he napped (we took our baby monitor).

Even though there were only three of us we chose a 3 bedroom estate villa. It was big, but not insanely large. My reasons for choosing it were 1. full sized pool and 2. private chef.

Estate Villa: The villa itself was nice and we were happy with it but it was not “luxurious”. It was fine though- we were satisfied with it. The back deck was HUGE and the view was simply amazing- you could not get a better view. There wasn’t much shade though- no umbrellas (I called to try and get one and they said they didn’t have any??). There was a lower deck that was shaded, but it was pretty far away from the main deck (my husband likes the sun, I like shade). The kitchen seemed out of date. From what I understand we were in a timeshare villa (we are NOT timeshare owners). I don’t know if that meant it wasn’t as nice as the other villas. We also had a hot tub which I wasn’t even expecting (even after countless hours researching).

We had requested a crib in advance- they also offered to provide a highchair. Both were perfect.

Beach: We only went to the beach a couple of times. It was just easier to stick by our pool since our 12m old couldn’t stay out in the sun too long- we just kind of went back and forth from the pool, into our villa, back to the pool. From the little time we spent at the beach we thought it was nice.

Open-air: I had thought that all of the estate villas were enclosed but I was very much wrong. While I understand why some would like open air, by the end of the week I was over it. We couldn’t leave so much as a banana on the counter in the kitchen without it being shredded to bits by birds. If one of us had to get up to chase our toddler during a meal, the other had to “guard” his or her meal from birds. Bird poop was *everywhere*. I left a sweater in the living room which got pooped on. My stroller got pooped on. Floors, furniture- you name it. There were also nights where it was uncomfortably hot- to the point that I went to the bedroom to read in the A/C instead of hanging out in the living room. I’ll address the bugs separately…..

Baby proofing/safety: It was not ideal- but it was do-able with our crawling 12m old. The biggest issue was the 4 or 5 ceramic tiled stairs going into *every* room. He was of course obsessed with them (we don’t have stairs at home) so we spent a lot of time “spotting” him as he climbed up and down them. We were able to slide a loveseat in front of the stairs in the living room. Another issue was a huge gap in front of the doors leading out to the deck (this is inside the villa- in the living room). My son took a nose dive into the gap at one point (that was really our only incident all week which was surprising!). The only other issue was him crawling around and there being bird poop on the floor! I just had to watch out for it. We didn’t let him crawl around on the deck at all- he’d bee-line for the pool anyway.

Bugs: Sadly, due to the open air we had a lot of trouble with mosquitoes. We arrived in our unit after midnight and had no idea what we were in for. We put our son down in his crib for the night in a onesie. The next morning I was able to count over 30 mosquito bites all over his body (yes, I actually counted them). :( I asked the front desk if we could switch to an enclosed villa. I had to ask three times- they kept telling me to check back or that I’d hear back from them and I never did. We were somewhat able to control the mosquitoes by making sure the door to the bedrooms was kept closed along with the master bathroom (but there’s open air down the hallway so it wasn’t perfect). I plugged in the little bug zapper things, dressed my son in long sleeves/pants for bed, applied bug spray and went in “hunting” with a can of bug killer stuff a few minutes before we went to bed (bug killer spray- not for skin- and zappers were provided). I will say that dealing with the mosquitoes was the most miserable part of the trip. Just that buzzing noise in my ears while I slept…. Bring bug spray!!

Shuttle: With a baby I did find the shuttle to be a little bit of a pain. We obviously had to take him out of the stroller so if he fell asleep in the stroller we had to wait until he woke up to take the shuttle. It wasn’t an issue with the shuttle service- it just would have been nice to walk to the beach. If you’re bringing a baby I’d recommend just using some kind of sling. Other than one or two times, the shuttle normally came pretty quickly.

Restaurants: We ate out one night at the Italian place with our son. We were happy with our meals. The service was slow but there was a huge wedding party there and our waiter was apologetic about it (even gave us a free round of drinks). We also ordered room service for lunch a few times. It was quick and tasty, but every single time at least one thing was incorrect. Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of.

We also dined at Chic! in the Royal Hotel (Rodney Bay). It was *dead* in there- there was only one other table. We enjoyed our meal very much and the service was great.

Babysitting: We used the babysitting services three times and were very happy with it. We had never used a resort’s babysitting before and I was very apprehensive about it. I spoke with the hotel about it- they explained that all of their babysitters/nannies are CPR certified and there only job at the hotel is working with the kids (I imagined someone getting pulled off the front desk to go babysit!). After getting a recommendation from our “ambassador” we had someone watch our son a few times (for the life of me I can’t remember her name now- but I think I have it written down and will post it later). She was very professional and I was comfortable leaving her with our son (even once during the day). It gave my husband and me a chance to go out to dinner and we also did ziplining for a few hours. When she watched him for a few hours during the day, she brought him to the kid’s club so he’d have a more kid-friendly environment (she obviously exclusively watched him). It was perfect.

Villa Maintenance: The first couple of days there seemed to be something wrong with our pool- it was apparently losing too much water (we didn’t notice it- the pool attendants made a comment). It did seem like the pool attendants were at our villa a lot in the beginning. But after those first couple of days we barely saw them.

We had a problem with our air conditioner and called the front desk. They sent someone to the villa within a couple of hours and it was repaired. We were very pleased with their service.

Housekeeping: I had read reviews of housekeeping being at the villa forever and getting there late. We had no issues with our housekeeping- she came around 12 or 1 and we were usually out at the pool. She was not there an unreasonable amount of time given the size of the villa. We were very satisfied with housekeeping.

Personal Chef: This service was *amazing* especially with a 12m old with you. He prepares both breakfast and dinner in your kitchen. He can also do lunch (I think he just makes you sandwiches/salad and puts in the fridge at breakfast time), but we preferred to order room service for lunch. Max was our chef- not only was he a great person, very sweet and professional- he was also a talented chef. We met with him the second day we arrived and came up with a few ideas for meals. He went grocery shopping (we gave him cash- he returned with change and the receipt). Every evening we figured out what time he’d come for breakfast and every morning we figured out what time for dinner. We let him choose what to prepare based on the things we had discussed in the beginning of the week. His food was fabulous and he left the kitchen and dining room as though he’d never been there. Toward the end of the week he offered to take us for a drive to see the island and we took him up on it. He took the three of us all around- it was so sweet of him. The chef basically made the villa worth it.

Tours: We only did one tour- the ziplining (Treetop Adventure Park). It was soooo much fun- I highly recommend it. I was scared- but it wasn’t at all scary. Just fun!

Sundollars promotion: We received a percentage of our hotel cost back in “sundollars” (resort credit). It was an amazing deal- we had daily room service & drinks, a full dinner, 2 or 3 grocery store trips, ziplining for two, 3 babysitting sessions- and we just barely used up our sundollars. We hardly paid for anything beyond our hotel. This was a great deal.

Other:
We had no issues with high pressure sales pitches (but perhaps that was because we were technically in a timeshare unit??). All of the staff was nothing but friendly and helpful (other than the one who never got back to me regarding switching villas).

One word of advice- there is no ATM at the resort. We ran out of cash and had incorrectly assumed we’d have a way to get cash for tips (it was the night before we were leaving). They only allow $50 cash advances per VILLA per day (we did a cash advance with our debit card so it was like using the ATM). Just be sure to save some cash for tips at the end (chef, housekeeping, etc).

Overall I would definitely recommend this resort to others. We had an amazing time.

If you have any questions about the resort or traveling to St. Lucia with a toddler, please feel free to email me at kelly at allthingspaper dot net (I don’t check Trip Advisor messages). Yikes, this is long!!

• Liked — Private pool
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes! :(
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank peanutbuttah2016
Toronto
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We recently spent a week in St Lucia where we were attending a wedding. The staff at Windjammer were absolutely fantastic as they were very flexible and always had suggestions and options to keep our very large and diverse group entertained throughout our stay. Everything from car hire, best places to enjoy local cuisine and enterntainment and simply chatting with guests at the weekly cocktail hour, the staff catered to us around the clock. We will most certainly be going back thanks in part to Joan at Windjammer for allowing us to enjoy and experience the beauty of St Lucia.

• Liked — View of the Ocean every morning from our room
  • Disliked — Walking to rooms up the hills can be a challenge if you have to run to the rooms frequently but the shuttle service thanfully is always available
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank DONToronto
Naples, Fl
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My new husband and I just returned from our wonderful honeymoon in St.Lucia. Upon arrival at the Windjammer we recieved a cool towel and a glass of rum punch. Our room was fantastic. The hotel seemed very quiet a couple kids but mostly adults. We ate at Jammers for both lunch and dinner. Food was good both times. We ate breakfast every morning at Dragonfly again good food. We also ate at Papa Don two nights having pizza both nights. Yes the service is a bit slow but we had no where we needed to be so we enjoyed the time and the views. We did not do the all inclusive for we don't really eat or drink alot. I felt the prices at the restraunts were pretty reasonable. (We live in Naples, Fl where food prices can be a bit steep.)
We took the shuttle a couple times to and from the lobby and never had to wait more than a minute or two. We did the Jammer Day Sail and had a great time. Well worth the $90 per person. We also had a couples massage and it was nice and relaxing.
On a side note we took the helicoptor from the big airport to the smaller airport and really enjoyed it. Better than the hour and 45 minute drive.
We loved this hotel and can't wait to come back.

• Liked — very quiet and relaxing
  • Disliked — having to leave
lawrenceville, ga
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We decided on St. Lucia for our honeymoon because it offers so much to do on the island. We were not disappointed. Our stay at Windjammer started out interestingly in room 44B, which is an open-air, rustic, charming villa. However, the A/C was minimal, bugs were rampant, and the plumbing was terrible. The toilet ended up breaking so we got upgraded to a time share villa (211) which was all enclosed and wonderful. Both had plunge pools which we really liked and both had great views. We did not end up doing the all inclusive once we found out it would cost us $150/person/day. That's $300 a day we would have to had spend to make it worthwhile. We ended up doing so many activites that included food anyway (day sail to Souffrie for example) so I think we made a wise decision.

we loved our villa and the staff at Windjammer. although at times the service in the restaurants was slow, the shuttle service and our 'personal concierge' Trista were excellent.

We stuck through the time share presentation with Lisa, who was slightly insulting when we declined the offer, saying "we will get your money one way or another." but it was stil worth it since we saved quite a bit on our stay by doing the time share presentation.

the food at the resort was in my opinion, just OK. another reason i was happy we did not do the AI. the coal pot, off the resort, was AMAZING.

the sunset cruise was really fun as well as the ziplining and the friday night "jump up" in anse le ray.

i thought the beach was very nice, aside from the occasional piece of trash. it doesn't matter that there are no umbrellas because there is lots of shade if you get a seat under the palm trees. the resort had 50% occupancy when we visited and so we had no problem.

the only thing i would caution against is making friends with the local rastafarians on the beach. once they hook you in, they will not leave you alone!

the watersports are free and that was a big plus!

• Liked — daily cleaning service, plunge pool, friendly staff, beautiful beach
  • Disliked — slow service in some restaurants, pushy time share presentation, average food quality
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!