“Wedding at Windjammer Landing”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently got married at Windjammer Landing on the 18th July 2013. Me and my family and fiancé at the time all arrived on the 12th July 2013. Soon as we had all reached there we had received free complimentary fruit punch/rum punch drinks. The service i had received from Windjammer was outstanding. The villa that me and my whole family had stayed at was amazing. The view from the balcony was incredible and was beautiful to see the sunset.

A shuttle bus picks you up from the villa and takes you back down to the reception as Windjammer is high up with steep hills. All we are required to do is call reception and ask for a shuttle bus and give room number and should come within 5-10 minutes depending on how busy it is.

Windjammer is an excellent place if you have kids. Has activities for all ages.

Melanie Reynolds and Lynn Joseph the wedding coordinators were the best when it came to organising mine and my husbands wedding which we had booked from last year September 2012. They always kept in contact with everything also with arrangements and decorations, send me examples of what i would like and colour schemes. From last September to July 2013 the wedding planning was ongoing and it was finally great to meet Melanie and Lynn as soon as i had got to Windjammer. The wedding was on the beach, Mel and Lynn had done an fantastic job with everything and all went smoothly. Was the best day of my life. Thank you Mel and Lynn for organising everything from start to finish :)

Thank you to all the staff for the great customer service you had given. Hope to see you all soon with my husband.

Mohini Samuel & David Samuel

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay at Windjammer or get married over there i recommend this 100% as you will n...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mohini1981
Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We simply love Windjammer and have been coming back year after year. It is in a beautiful location but for us it is the fantastic staff who really make it a special holiday. They are so welcoming and do so much to ensure you have a great holiday. The villas are great and so is the beach!

Room Tip: We bought time share so we know where we are staying each year
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melanie a
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Three of us, 1 middle-aged dad and 2 teens, girl 16 and boy 15, went to Windjammer in early August 2013, from the UK, after booking with Joni at the brilliant Tropic Breeze travel agency in the UK [best value, really knowledgeable staff and much better value than going through the airline holiday companies].

I was quoted much the same price to visit Turkey for 2 weeks, all inclusive, as I did for 2 weeks, equally all inclusive, at Windjammer Landing (WJL). We flew on Virgin – superb inflight entertainment system and informal, friendly service and an 0830 take off from Gatwick means you’re in St Lucia by lunchtime. That was the right call.

My key drivers for a holiday location are safety, friendly faces, maximum fun and decent hospitality. My teens want freedom (so they can roam, day and evening, without supervision), other teens of a similar age (whatever the nationality) and plenty to enjoy. This place excelled at all of these. I lean heavily on TripAdvisor for advice on family vacations and chose WJL because of the comments on here.

Transfers take about an hour from the airport. By the time you’ve done immigration and customs (about 30 minutes), your luggage is there and we were on the road within about 15 minutes. Got to the hotel about 1430 and were offered refreshing towels and a rum punch drink. The friendly reception staff gradually check the arrivals in – start relaxing on Caribbean time as it can take 20-30 minutes depending on the people that get there on private transfers ahead of you.

A shuttle takes you to your room. They help you in with luggage and show you where everything is. We were staying in 156ab – which was a spacious king-bedded room with picture windows over the ocean, and a downstairs twin-bedded room, connected by a separate stair. Both beds had a private bathroom and A/C. The upstairs room had a better view, but it got warmer because the windows were much bigger and the A/C and ceiling fan didn’t get it as chilled as the basement room. There is a good walk-in closet, with private safe, plenty of hanging space and an ironing board/iron. Rooms come with shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, body lotion, soap and hairdryer and plenty of towels. The housekeeping are pretty good at replacing all of these, although they sometimes leave them in bags on the outside door handle rather than put them in the rooms. I thought the rooms were spacious, airy and cool, with plenty of storage space and light. The downstairs room has 2 loungers outside on a wooden deck. The upstairs room has a wonderful spacious roof terrace, very private, and not very overlooked, with 2 more loungers, which is just perfect for a sundowner and watching the glorious sunset over the bay. See the photos of the sunset for what I mean.
As many have commented, the rooms and the villas spread up the hill from the main resort. Our room was 5 minutes’ walk up a very steep hill. By and large, it was an after dinner stroll, although we did take the shuttle a few times after a longer night. The higher villas and timeshares undoubtedly depended on the shuttle, although we never had to wait more than a few minutes to get one at any time in either direction, even at checkout time.

The resort has several restaurants:
 Jammers is the main bar/casual dining restaurant, open lunch and dinner. Great views over the beach and happy hour 1700-1800 every day. You just can’t go wrong with catch of the day – tuna, mahi-mahi, kingfish, served Cajun, Jerk or grilled, with salsa or lemon butter and ever-varied rice. I had this nearly every lunch and never grew tired of it. Gorgeous.
 Embers is the beach bar/restaurant with a pizza oven open only at lunch which does a decent pizza – hint, if you’re not too hungry ask for a kid’s portion, still a decent 6-slice thin pizza. The Mexican (no sweetcorn) is excellent. As is the Jerk Wrap.
 Upper Deck is a slightly more upscale restaurant – more or less the same view and seats as Jammers, but a little more space and a menu with grilled steaks and seafood for dinner only. The filet mignon (fillet steak) is just wonderful – served with fries and/or salad and/or grilled vegetables. And unusually, included in all inclusive (AI). We ate there twice and loved it both times. I guess there would be nothing to stop you booking AI and eating filet every night if your waistband could take it.
 We ate in Papa Dons – the Italian – evening only – 3 times. Partly because it was 2 minutes’ walk from the bedroom and partly because the food was good and the service was excellent, especially from the very personable Andre.
 Dragonfly is a fusion and buffet restaurant where you eat breakfast – buffet or a la carte. Excellent breakfasts with hot food to order, wide range of fruit, cereals and pastries and always friendly service. We had one dinner and a buffet meal here but ended up preferring Jammers, Papa Dons or the Upper Deck for dinner.
 Hint: for all the evening meals at Upper Deck and Papa Dons, it’s worth booking a day or two in advance. We learnt quite quickly just to book a return visit 2-3 evenings in advance at the time you want or you can get disappointed. In particular, bear in mind that there can be big departures for certain flights so others have the same idea as you to have a “last meal” at their favourite restaurant. Having said that, Jammers did us proud on many evenings and we were really happy with it.
 The bar service in Jammers can be a little slow. But hey, it’s St Lucia, you’re on vacation, watching the Caribbean in technicolour and everyone is very friendly and chatty, including the bartenders.

There is one other bar on the beach – the very wonderful 96 degrees in the shade, diligently served by the wonderful Nona. It’s only open daytimes, shut by 1700, but you rarely wait, she remembers your order and there are usually several old or new friends or staff to have a quick chat with. And, and I hesitate to share this, the best wifi signal is right there, right on the beach, in the bar or on the loungers or as far as the breakwater with its wonderful sunset views, and there is much pleasure from checking in with friends, family or colleagues whilst you’ve got a beer in your hand, the sun is shining and the water is sparkling.

The wifi signal in all the common areas is excellent. Really good, free and more or less rock solid once you connect. Plenty of holidaymakers have ipads, tablets, smartphones or kindles there on the beach and you should really feel very safe about taking yours down. In the bedrooms, it can be a bit more variable – early morning it’s fine, as there are few using it. Early evening, it can get a little slow. It may be different in North America but in the UK and Europe, so many hotels charge exorbitant rates – like €25 per day for wifi. At WJL, it’s free, reliable and works at a decent speed. As it is at the 2 airports in St Lucia too. Smart thinking – as the tourists are busy sharing what a good experience the island is.

The beach is very clean – swept every night, with ample loungers, umbrellas and some new hammocks under the trees. Never had to struggle to find a seat, even though some people were up early reserving their places. There were also ample beach towels, without any silly deposit scheme. The vistas are gorgeous and it’s well worth watching the sun set by the rock breakwater. Chances are, you’ll have it to yourself.

Close to Jammers, they even bring you cold towels around lunchtime.

Most of the facilities – including tennis, snorkelling, sailing (Hobie Cats), water-skiing, wake-boarding, canoes, windsurfing and paddle boards – are free if you’re on AI, bookable in the excellent and very friendly watersports’ facility on the beach. If you’ve never done one of the sports – sailing, skiing, wakeboarding - they charge around US $25 for a lesson before they’ll let you go out on your own. The morning snorkelling is free, led by the brilliant Romanus – he goes swimming with you and shows you everything from flounders to seahorses. The afternoon is US$5 per person as he takes you over near Rodney Bay on a fast speedboat. Well worth it. They have very popular (and free) inflatable rides at 1600 every day, and you can book these from 1500. Coletta makes sure that people do these in the order they sign up and she’s excellent at safety and stopping the kids from overwhelming it.

There is a very good dive centre, on the beach at the watersports’ centre, called Eastern Caribbean Divers (with a separate review posted by me). Professional staff, excellent equipment and world-class dive sites. Very good indeed. See my separate review.

There are daily activities – I particularly enjoyed the water aerobics at 1030 each morning.

We booked excursions via the very helpful onsite Jammin’ Tours. We did the Segway tour, the zipline trip and the land and sea tour (which goes on Tuesdays and Fridays – with a fun 4x4 trip south, including a buffet lunch at Ladera – a wonderful restaurant with views directly over the Pitons and the catamaran trip back).

Separately, we did a private charter with 2 other families with Exodus. We also did a day trip to the Grenadines with Serenity travel. Both were outstanding, booked directly and I’d recommend both unreservedly. Reviews on their sites.

So let’s address security. There are security around the common areas – uniformed and friendly. There are jeeps on the beach at night and it feels really safe – safe enough to let my teenagers go out at night and not worry about where they are. The resort is on a spit of land – with decent security before you enter, about a mile from the main road. St Lucians are very friendly and I really found it very reassuring indeed.

We went all inclusive because I really like the idea of paying for the holiday and not having to worry about what we ate or drink. You can see from the reviews on TA that people have pros and cons with AI. For UK consumers, I can advise that breakfast buffet, regardless of what you have, is about £20 per person per day, lunch might be £25 for a pizza, dessert and beer and then dinner in Jammers would be around £35 per person, assuming a starter, catch of the day and one drink. For US$, pegged at 2.65 per EC$, it’s around EC$110 for a fillet mignon steak, EC$65 for catch of the day in jammers and EC$30-40 for a pizza. Drinks are about £4 beer, others £5 each, except in happy hour. Think mid-market London/SE England prices and that’s about right. The people with timeshares generally don’t go AI, because they stock up on breakfast on the way to the resort and then go out in Rodney Bay or Gros Islet for dinner or dine at WJL. A return cab to Rodney Bay is about $50 US for up to 4 people so we didn’t go out for dinner.

We were nearly put off by reviews on TA of people finding that their luggage had been searched or by horrific bug attacks. We didn’t hear of any luggage issues, our stuff felt very secure, even when my son left his phone out on occasion and whilst all of us were bitten a few times, a quick spritz with a bug repellent on ankles and wrists generally kept us clear. My daughter, who is a bit of a bug magnet, had a few bites, but only when she forgot to spray before we went out in the evening. We visited Cuba in 2005 and there the mosquitoes are really vicious. We saw them spraying regularly at WJL and I think you should be fine. If you are especially susceptible, just use bug spray in the early evening.

And if I haven’t convinced you already, then I would add that your fellow guests are just great. One couple I met, had booked into the next door hotel 13 years ago, and come across WJL the following morning, switched hotels, bought at WJL and had been coming back for the past 13 years.

Whilst around half were from the UK, there were US, Canadian and quite a few French families there too. It’s popular for US honeymooners – for very good reason as they told me the experience was great for them – and we saw 3 wedding ceremonies take place whilst we were there. Two of these were on the beach, but I thought the way WJL dressed an area overlooking the beach at Dragonfly was even more beautiful, and I’d seriously suggest you consider this over a beach wedding. On our excursions, we met several couples that were staying at Sandals and other “couples/adult-only” resorts. I’m sure they had a great time, but WJL manages to offer both families, single travellers (met those too) and couples a really excellent time.

Two families – thank you Bob, Dan, Jackie, Warren and families - were kind enough to invite us out on their boat charter, with Exodus. We saw dolphins, snorkelled in a marine park at the base of the Pitons, jumped off rock arches into the sea and drunk too much beer. Brilliant day.

All in all, I thought this was a really fantastic, really well managed resort, with lots of smart touches that made our vacation even more enjoyable. As well as the stuff above, I’d highlight a free lending library so you can borrow a beach book, the weekly MD’s party on the Tuesday, with free drinks and prizes, some decent, if not inexpensive shops and above all, the can-do attitude of the receptionists, the personal ambassadors which every guest gets as a reference point for any problems and all the staff for being enthusiastic and welcoming. And the fact that they provided a free day room for a shower at the end of the holiday so that you could check out, enjoy the facilities for a few hours and then take a shower before getting changed for the trip to the airport in the afternoon.

As a suggestion, I’d propose that some of the activities get rescheduled – like putting the free morning snorkelling at 1115 so you can go from the aerobics to do it, and the afternoon waterpolo at 1600 clashes with the tube rides. And many European visitors would prefer to be able to place a single larger gratuity in a safe place in reception at the end of their stay, with the reassurance it goes to all staff (and not just management) evenly, than have to give individual staff members their own tips all the time, especially as AI encourages you to keep your wallet in the safe.

None of this should detract from the excellent job that the management and staff do in giving you a great time on your vacation, whether you are honeymooning, on a family trip or there on your own. There are lots of returning visitors because of the timeshares and there is always someone willing to shoot the breeze.

Last hint – take your own sunscreen – the on-site shop sells it but it’s pricey.

We loved our stay at Windjammer Landing and we think you will to. Thank you.

If this was helpful, please click “Yes” below. Thanks.

Room Tip: We had room 156ab. Standard "ocean view" 2 bedroom. The Hibiscus rooms are closer but mo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
32  Thank deehell
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an incredible week at Windjammer. The staff were the friendliest people i think we've ever met and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were lovely, we didn't experience any bugs and the variety of water sports on offer was amazing. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Holliestraker
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I had a great holiday at the Windjammer. I warn you that for us the check in process was very slow and disorganized especially when you are travelling with kids, when we did get checked in we had the wrong villa but we got in changed the next day so was not too much of a problem.

We had a 2 bed room villa with plunge pool which was amazing it was not fully air conditioned as it was a kind of indoor/outdoor accommodation but the bedrooms were nice and cool. We had a nice kitchen area and we all made great use of the plunge pool. If you have young kids as we do, make sure you request a villa near the kids club as we did so you can walk about OK. It is a very hilly resort not ideal for buggys , they do provide shuttles but we thought of the walk as our exercise!
If you are travelling here take plenty of bug repellent , there are more bugs than other Caribbean islands we have been to but I think its just that it is set in the hills in lovely lush grounds. I wish that we had packed a plug in insect repellent as they did not sell them there.

also if you are going here make sure you go all inclusive, the food was lovely the best all inclusive we have ever been to , the food was quite simple nothing fancy, but what we liked is that we were able to avoid warm buffets and every night managed to have fresh hot food such as fish ,rice and vegetables which really suited us. Papa don's was our favorite. We noted that both food and drinks would have been very expensive for us had we not had the all inclusive option.

The beach perhaps was not the best Caribbean beach I have visited and was a bit disappointing but we ventured out to Rodney Bay a few times and the beach there was beautiful so would recommend doing that. The main pool looked as though it could do with a re furb to be be honest , it wasn't dirty just a bit scruffy looking. There are other pools dotted about the hotel that were much better but they were much smaller and all a long way from the bar.

The bar service generally is pretty slow , There was meant be drinks service on the beach, from what I understood you stuck a flag in the sand and then someone would come and serve you a drink we tried this several times but no body once came over , except once at 4.30pm to put the flag away to tell us they had stopped serving!!
This was only a small problem though and only a problem if you let it get to you , just relax and think of everything as being on "Caribbean time".

Our kids loved kids club and we loved the spa ! all in all we had a great stay and I would recommend it.

I would also advice you to get out and see St Lucia , we did the helicopter trip , rain forest canopy, pigeon Island , Souifferre volcano and lots of trips to rodney bay. St Lucia is a beautiful country and the St Lucians are lovely people. We had a lot of people trying to sell stuff to us which I know is not everyones cup of tea but we found a "no thanks" was adequate , no one was rude or pushy with us when we there.

Room Tip: choose a room near main reception with plunge pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Thurloe H
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Windjammer Landing from Aug 3-10, 2013 and loved it! We rented a car and after an interesting 1.5 hour journey to the resort, we were greeted by a wonderful "ambassador" who gave us tasty rum punches and explained the resort features to us. We were in a 1 bedroom villa overlooking Papa Don's. The villa was spaceous and comfortable, and I loved the fact that it only had A/C in the bedroom. Yes, we did get the occasional bird flying into the living area, but we soon learned to close the door to the deck while out there in the morning. This did not seem to be a problem later in the day. The resort offered many water sports and we did the kayaking. We were not limited to a small area but could actually go quite far. We were out for a good half hour, if not more. The beach was really nice and there were plenty of chairs, even being able to find some under the "tiki" huts for shade. We did not do the all inclusive as we had booked excursions off the resort and we are not big eaters, but the food is expensive. We bought some food from the supermarket and had breakfast in our room. The restaurants were OK but I would not say top notch. This was not a big issue for us, though. Yes, the resort is very hilly and walking to and from our villa was slippery at times (when it was wet). We did not have to take the shuttle as it was not too far for us, but it is quite far to some of the other accommodations but the view is wonderful! The location was good, being less than 10 minutes from Rodney Bay to the north and 15 minutes to Castries to the south. We rented a car as we enjoy going off on our own, but you have to be comfortable with left side driving and a small car is necessary. The roads are narrow, very windy and hilly, with big ditches on the sides for rain runoff. I felt we were going to land in one as the St. Lucians are not fearful of oncoming traffic. You can do excursions from the hotel and the cost is probably in line with renting a car (which was pricey) but if you like to see things you would not normally see, rent the car. We chose to drive to our excursions, which were the Rainforest Tranopy Adventure (ziplining and a ride through the rain forest), the Tango II catamaran ride from Rodney Bay, which took us along the coast line to Soufriere, where we disembarked and boarded vans to go to the drive in volcano, mudbath, waterfall and a cocoa plantation. On our own, we visited Pigeon Island where Fort Rodney is situated and hiked up the two peaks there. Beware, one of them is quite steep and there is no guard rail or much of a path. The view was spectacular, making the ascent well worth it. From there, we found Cas-en-Bas, a quiet beach where we saw horses and very few people, although horse riding was a popular attraction. We had pretty good weather, except the morning on the catamaran, when it was rainy and cool. By midday. it cleared up and the ride back was sunny and warm. The rum punches on the way back (unlimited all day) were especially tasty. We loved St. Lucia, Windjammer Landing and would recommend it highly.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sussquir
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Hello, i traveled and stayed with my sister at the windjammer landing, and we didn't regret even once. When we arrived we were nicely greeted in the lobby, service is wonderful, people are very friendly, everything was neat and wonderful. Live music every night in the jammers bar was just amazing. Also we wanted to thank Peter the photographer we had a photo shoot with him and he did a great job. We highly recommend this Resort .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Zoreslava M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Villa Beach Cottages
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!