“My Wedding at Windjammer”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
South River, New Jersey
“My Wedding at Windjammer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

I want to start off by saying that if you are considering having a wedding at the windjammer, DO IT! We traveled around the island a lot during our trip and no place compared to what the Windjammer has to offer. I'm going to list the positives and negatives of the windjammer along with a lot of information I wish I had prior to leaving, but before I do so I want to make sure that I mention how happy I am I made the choice to get married at this resort.

I arrived at the airport on 12/06/12. It was crowded for a small airport. We rented a car which I suggest doing if you are traveling with a good driver who does not get easily shaken. The drive to the windjammer from the airport took us about 1.5 hours.

The drive was not easy. Hills, bends, aggressive drivers, wondering animals and pedestrians make driving a challenge. While driving it became obvious that most of St Lucia is sadly very impoverished.

We passed the windjammer on the way to our first hotel. ( Bay Gardens ) and noticed it is not located on the main road. The sign for the WindJammer is small ( maybe 2x2 feet) and easy to miss as it is on the front lawn of a restaurant.

We spend our first few days at the baygardens hotel before checking into the windjammer. However we did pick family members up on 12/8/12 and bring them to the windjammer so they could check in. We stayed with them through the check in process. My family was greeted with cool towels and rum punch. They were asked to fill out a short form and sign it. Then given keys to the room.

My family(not me) was staying in a 1 bedroom villa with no pool. It was large and clean with a full kitchen. If you are considering cooking at the resort rest assured everything you could possibly need is in this kitchen. From cupcake pans to food processors. It was remarkably well stocked. Later in the trip we found this room had a small ant problem. We didn't even alert the hotel because the large bottle of ant killer spray that was in the room when we arrived lead us to believe they already knew about it.

A friend of the family was staying in a 1 bedroom villa with a plunge pool. This was surprisingly different from the regular one bedroom villa. It spanned 3 floors and was much higher on the hill than the other villa. It was also well stocked and had a beautiful view.

On 12/10/12 we got to the windjammer to check in and meet with the lawyer about our wedding documentation. Melanie was kind enough to provide us with a temporary room to use while we waited for ours to be ready. The wedding planner did not show up and rescheduled for 1 pm which gave us just enough time to get my hair trial done before having to be back at the wedding planning office.

The hair dresser was incredibly nice but was unable to put my hair exactly how I wanted. (I had brought a picture of myself with my hair the way I wanted it but she was having a lot of trouble with it.) But I let her try her own version of the hair style and it came out really well. * note the hair stylist and the makeup artist are they same person. Also she expects you to have your own make up with you and any hair products you need.

We got checked into our room about about 4 pm. We got a 1 bedroom Hibiscus suite and it was lovely. It was the only room easy to walk to from the lobby/pool/beach area. Well stocked kitchen. Very nice bathroom with a tub and shower. Large patio with a Jacuzzi. It had a beautiful view of both the pool area and the ocean.

We spend the next few days enjoying the resort and all the wonderful food. The menus stay the same at each restaurant but since you have your choice of 5 places to eat its easy to have a good variety of meals. The service is wonderful! The only thing that people from the US might need to get used to is the speed of the meals. The food and service is very very slow by our standards. Expect dinner to take at least 2.5 hours in total. ( not a bad thing when you are enjoying great drinks and good company)

The day of the wedding was incredible. Hair appointment at 11 am, dresses on at 3 , photographer arrived at my room at 3:30. ( our photographer was Peter and he was amazing. I was very impressed!) Melanie helped throughout the day with keeping us on schedule and getting everyone where they needed to be. Ceremony went off with out a hitch. I'm very happy. I want to stress how involved the wedding planners are. It was a great comfort knowing that Melanie was planning her schedule around my wedding and not the other way around. * I'm not sure how I became under the wrong impression but I thought that if the weather was bad we could move the time of the ceremony around. However if the weather is bad the wedding is just moved inside and off the beach. Additionally they can't wait till last minute to move the wedding because of the decorations so the decision to move it indoors needs to be made hours before the actual ceremony. This is a scary thing considering it rains for a little while almost every day in St lucia. But for me it worked out and we had our beach wedding.

When we returned to our room that night after dinner with family. We found that our bed had the word congratulations written in pine needles. This was really cute but I must admit when I expected more to the “ romantically decorated room”. Not a big deal but I thought I would mention it.

The children club was a mixed bag. During the day I felt very welcomed to leave my son(7) and he enjoyed his time very much. At night ( when two younger staff members were working at the kids club) they seems a little annoyed when I dropped him off. Then they walked him into the restaurant I was eating at with my new husband and said “ hes hungry” and left. We laughed it off, but it was a little annoying because that was the only night me and my now husband had to have dinner alone.

Pro's
Local feel with all the comforts of home
The wedding planners bend over backwards for you
The food is fantastic
all inclusive plan is a very good value it really does include everything. Any drink you can think of , beach towels, water sports etc.
kindness of the staff, so friendly and eager to please!
best beach in st lucia
beautiful resort
well stocked rooms

Con's
the up hill battle of getting to the villa's but they have trams
if you are a “type a” person... things can seem a little laid back for example we got a call asking if they could bring our left over cake to our room “ right now”. Right now turned out to be 1.5 hours later. Little things like that. Think of it as being on “ island time” haha
The prices for some things are listed in EC and others in the US. This gets confusing because they tend to list the expensive things in US. For example the spa services are in US.
You wont want to leave :-)
night time kids club could use some tweaking.

Over all I'm incredibly happy with this vacation and wedding. Honestly some of these bad reviews must have been written by competing resorts. After meeting the staff and being at this resort I just don't see how some of the negative things could be true.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom Hibiscus suite is the way to go. It has great views and you don't spend time waiting...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rockundergirl
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for the wonderful review! It was nice of you to take the time to provide so many useful details. I'll follow-up with our team regarding the comments about the Kid's Club and spa. I appreciate your nice remarks about Melanie and will make sure she is recognized for doing such a great job with you. We hope you'll be back for your anniversary!

mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We've booked a few people here and had generally good reviews. Recently we visited the property ourselves. Here's a summary of our review:

1. Rooms: Good space and value. Rooms are of good standard but some bits are a bit dated (we stayed in two different 1 bedroom units). Nothing modern or sleek here. Functional and comfortable. Views from decks are amazing. Space is good.

2. Staff: Good staff. Sometimes breakdowns in crowded situations or in matters requiring escalation but good attitude and pride in jobs goes a long way even if there is a mistake.

3. Layout: Probably our favorite feature was the geography. The hillside units, the curved bay with two different angles; one is safe for swimming in mild waves and one is only good for shallow (1/2 foot) wading because of reef. In addition they have a small bit on the open sea - not practical for swimming but nice to look at. We love the hills to look from and to look at. Yes this makes walking to your room hard but all you can do is compare to other seaside resorts in St. Lucia. It's the norm - if you want flat - then Punta Cana or the Mayan Riviera are alternate destinations.

4. Shuttles: The property like many in St. Lucia is hilly - you do need to take shuttles. At this price point you won't have personal shuttles - you'll have shared rides with others and its based on forecast and demand. As such you would expect to get picked up within 5 minutes 40% of the time, 5-10 minutes 40% of the time and longer 20% of the time. Remember if all cars are helping people move in/out with luggage versus just a pickup then it does take a few more minutes. I felt that the service was reliable and good. A long waiting time is not a reason for a bad review - but a consistently poor pickup service would be with driver attitude. We thought it was a well run service.

5. Food: The bar/beach food was very good - especially the fresh fish and burgers. The better restaurants were at par with good suburban chains - nothing special. There are some positive reviews but visitors with a more refined palette, vegetarians or Asians will find the food a bit bland, over sized, and over cheesed. We found most of the customers like the food - we'll give it a pass.

6. Costs: Very interesting - we came for 2 nights on a room only basis and really racked up some serious expenses eating and drinking. If you are going to eat a lot at the resort go for the all inclusive; if you use the self catering for kids meals, breakfast, and snacks then go with a room only rate. We like that this is a big resort with a choice and a-la-carte options. Even though the food didn't quite do it and was very expensive - the service was good. You'll find similarly priced meals of much higher quality just north of the resort. They have a convenient grocery store or for a bigger selection we went to the big super market in Gros Islet.

7. Kids: The beach is great for kids with safe area's to play. There is a kids club which we did not use. The boat house is also one of the better ones I've seen in the Caribbean as you can take a boat, kayak into the sea or a very sheltered area of the Windjammer bay. We loved the 30/70 family/single mix. Enough kids and space to make friends but not Romper Room.

8. South Asian Tip: We know that South Asians want to tick all the boxes when they travel. Many of the classic sights of of St. Lucia are in the south; making multiple day-trips from the north is tiring and time consuming. If you are here for a few days you can split time between the Windjammer and a southern mountain resort like Foun Doux or Ladera. That way you can enjoy the Pitons, some hikes, the volcano, the jungle and some snorkeling/diving from Castries which is probably the best town that is "local" but tourist friendly. Then go to Windjammer and relax on the beach with an evening trip to Gros Islet. Its a good combo as there are no comparable beach resorts in the south. Most in the south are ultra-luxury and don't offer the value of Windjammer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Enrouta
Thank you for taking time to write a very detailed review. The feedback is useful for us as well as to future visitors. We hope you and your friends will visit us again soon!

Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hillside location and room views are terrific, the beach is wonderful, the available activities are numerous and the food at all the restaurants was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because often in a resort that can hold many of the guests captive or have an all-inclusive plan (we did not have it) food can be questionable. The restaurant service was definitely on island time...relax, it might be a while!! No one was ever in a hurry to serve us so adapt..it doesn't change. As for the two villas, we had a mixed bag. Our premium ocean view room was a spacious standard hotel type room on the side of the hill with a lovely view and a walk-in closet. There was a staircase up to a sundeck on the roof that provided a nice escape for morning coffee and evening views. All the usual sundries for the bathroom were supplied, including a full size hair dryer and ironing board/iron. A coffee maker with coffee/sugar/creamers was also provided. The room only had one chair and footrest when we arrived; another chair was provided quickly when requested. There were two pools directly across the road from our front door. There were unfortunately several issues with our room. The safe was needed and did not work. It took four trips from maintenance over four days to resolve the issue (they finally replaced it). This cut into our leisure time as they required us (rightfully so) to be in the room when they worked on the safe. Unfortunately it was done on their time, not ours, and took 3-4 hours overall. Security mentioned they had replaced 24 safes over the past several months due corrosion. In addition, the shower did not always drain properly and often when the toilet was flushed the whole room would shudder and be accompanied by an extremely loud noise that sounded as if the shower floor was about to back up and explode. This issue was not resolved. The gate to our hotel room door, supported by hinges encased in concrete, had broken away from the wall, complete with broken concrete and exposed screws. This was never looked at or addressed. Our friends were given a one bedroom villa (although time share owners they are not owners at this property but were mistaken as such). Their villa had a large bedroom with walk-in closet and bathroom/shower, a living room/dining room with an additional full bath and full-size kitchen with washer/dryer. The outside patio deck was very large and contained a small private plunge pool. The kitchen was fully equipped and the washer/dryer did work. The only apparent problem with this unit was a ripped vinyl shower floor in the outer bathroom. The views from this unit, located higher up on the hill, were spectacular and we understandably spent most of our time here when we were on-property and not involved with the beach or recreational activities. The house keeping staff for both rooms did a wonderful job of keeping both properties spotless and re-stocked. The shuttle service to our room from the main property/beach was necessary due to the steep hills and excellent - always at our door within a minute of being called, regardless of the time of day or night. The only exception was on check-in/check-out days (Saturday/Sunday) when the heavy volumes dictated waits of 15-20 minutes at peak periods as guests were assisted to/from their villas with their bags. The drivers were always prompt, polite and helpful with bags, etc..There are numerous free activities including water-skiing, Hobie cats, tennis (fix the lights ..please...), exercise sessions poolside, etc.. Numerous additional paid activities are available as well. We particularly enjoyed the day catamaran trip to Soufriere at the beginning of our week which included guided tours to the volcano and waterfall, a delicious lunch on an old plantation and a stop for snorkeling on the return. It is a good sampler to get acquainted with the island. The snorkeling also allowed me to check the ocean visibility at the time, negating a planned scuba trip the next day upon determining poor visibility. The divers on the boat near us were not pleased! Also enjoyed the tennis lessons with David, a former Davis Cup player from the island. There was live music lower poolside on several evenings but overall the resort is quiet in the evenings. Consider the Friday night street party in Gros Islet for a fun diversion. It is slightly unpolished (well actually rough around the edges) but the food is good and reasonably priced, drink is cold, music is loud and most of the locals were friendly. Not for everyone but a nice change from quiet evenings. Airport transportation from Vieux Fort (international) was 80 dollars US each way and if you plan on exploring the island without a rental car (so glad we cancelled ours) be prepared for some crazy drivers (saw the new Sandals Resort BMW get broadsided and flipped) and some accumulating cab bills since nothing is in very close proximity to the resort - 15 minutes to Rodney Bay, 20 minutes to Castries, 1.5+ hours to the international airport. I'm smarter now - should we return to St. Lucia I will fly to the airport in Castries from San Juan and save the long airport drive or helicopter shuttle to the northern part of the island where Windjammers is located.

5 Thank SCCanuck
Thank you for the very detailed review! I appreciate the compliments as well as the suggestions and constructive criticism. I do apologize for the problems with the safe; I have discussed this with our maintenance team and we should not have this problem again. We are also rectifying the mechanical issues you noted. Please note there is very limited service from Puerto Rico as American Eagle has stopped flying. Regional airlines do fly but check out the flight schedules carefully as some make multiple stops between Puerto Rico and Saint Lucia and some have poor reliability.

I hope you will be back soon.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

The service was nearly perfect but was spoiled by poor service in Jammers.
We frequently went there in the two week vacation and found the service below standard.
Too often during the daytime the waiting staff stood around in the shade chatting at the desk near the upper deck.
They seemed oblivious to customers sitting on the lower deck areas , we could see them doing nothing so the was no excuse to be ignored. Why were they not made to wait at various areas of the several decks in readiness to take orders from thirsty punters ?
Embers beach bar really showed how to keep the punters happy , it was full all day.
Jammers only improved when other staff were on the ball in the evening.

Management take note and get the day staff motivated or replaced, ask them to smile when in service please. A grumpy face is not a welcoming sight.

I fully expect a Caribbean relaxed service but will not accept plain laziness !

That's my gripe ...... everything else was bliss and I loved my stay.
I

Room Tip: if you dont like bugs or birds have an enclosed room or villa also the higher you go the better the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tessa099
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking time to respond. I am sorry our service in Jammer's was bad. I will work with our managers to address this. I'm glad the service in Embers was better and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Salisbury Plain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just returned from 10 fantastic nights, great food, superb weather, friendly and helpful staff and excellent facilities. We had a premium ocean room, very comfortable, sun deck, four poster bed etc. Good view from the deck out across the bay and right next to Papa Don's restaurant. Some building work going on for some of the time we were there but didn't spoil or interfere with the holiday. Beach clean, family friendly with great BBQ restaurant as well as drinks bar. Water sports were all included as part of our package and we took advantage of them. Took catamaran trip down the coast which was a great day out and enabled us to take in some of the sites. There is a laid back relaxed atmosphere around the resort which means the holiday seems to last little longer than usual!!! The staff are great and so helpful and friendly, particular mention to Helen and Esie. Shuttle transport means that there are no long walks back to the apartment after several of the Rum Punches or delicious cocktails. Food excellent, I tried to stick on the local fish dishes which were fab, but also the steaks were top notch, fish and chips on the beach is also v.good. We left the children at home for a holiday on our own but the kids would have been well catered for if we had taken them along. All in all a great holiday, if you get the chance visit.

Room Tip: Room numbers 156 - 140 are good, try and get 'A' rather than 'B' as they have roof t...
1 Thank Cashman2
Thank you for the terrific review! I especially appreciate the nice mentions of Helen and Essie - I'll make sure they learn of your praise. We look forward to your return - please bring the kids!

Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just returned (this morning, so forgive me if I am slightly unintelligible throughout this review) from 9 nights at the Windjammer with my boyfriend. If you read nothing else, be assured that this is a beautiful resort and you will have a fantastic time!

The beach at the resort is a private bay, which makes it really safe and quieter than any of the resorts directly on Rodney Bay / Reduit Beach. It is your archetypal Caribbean get-away: clear seas, white sand, stunning views. St Lucia is very mountainous and the Windjammer is set on a hillside. The advantage of this is obviously the views, the downside of this is walking up and down said hill. We were lucky in that our room was not too high up and so walkable, but if you do have mobility issues (or just don't want to walk up a hill in 30 degree heat after 3 rum punches), there is a shuttle bus that operates every 5 minutes from reception up to your room, and you can call and they will collect you from the room and bring you down.

We had upgraded our room to a premium ocean view room, which meant our room was slightly bigger and we had a private sun deck (we couldn't stretch to the private plunge pool, but the rooms with them looked amazing). The room was beautiful - large 4 poster bed, great shower, spacious, walk in wardrobe. Cleaned every day and bed made with military precision - could not have asked for more.

We had also opted to go all inclusive which usually for us means being shackled by a neon plastic bracelet your entire stay, and a lot of buffets. However, the Windjammer is a slightly classier establishment than our previous experiences and you simply order off the menu at any of the three (should be 4 but one was shut for repairs, due to reopen this week) restaurants and sign for it as if you were charging to your room. This can be slightly unnerving for the uninitiated into this kind of all-inclusive way of working, but all-inclusive really meant all inclusive: from drinks (everything except bottles of wine), to ice creams, to water sports (wake boarding, water skiing, snorkelling trips), to very, very nice food.

If you are after an indulgent holiday, we would definitely recommend going all inclusive as:

1) The food and drink at the restaurants on the resort is relatively expensive (11EC for a bottle of beer, 40EC for a burger type prices if not all inc)
2) The hotel is a mile walk and a bus (or a taxi) to Rodney Bay, where there nearest significant concentration of restaurants can be found
3) The cocktails are amazing and you really should be able to not think about how much it is costing you while you drink them. I rest my case.

Overall, you are in a beautiful hotel on a beautiful island, so if you find much to complain about, I would suggest that a sense of perspective be applied! The only minor drawback (and I think that if you are American this will be more of a sticking point for you than us Brits, who just tut and mumble under our breath about things like this) is that the service is not quite at the same level of quality as the beach, facilities and accommodation. Its not that people are rude, its just that you may have to ask repeated times for things etc...... and you will come up with ways of working around this (e.g. asking for ketchup at the time of ordering your food rather than when it arrives so there is a chance you have some fries left to eat it with by the time it arrives!). So from us, Windjammer gets a hearty thumbs up and a very big amount of jealously if you are just getting ready to book.

Room Tip: on the hill, but not too high!
3 Thank wallulans
Thank you for the wonderful review! I'm sure readers will appreciate all of the detailed suggestions and comments. We are working hard at improving service so you don't have to ask for things more than once; I hope you come back and let me know how we are progressing!

Ballston Lake, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We did the family all-inclusive package for a week in the Ocean-view rooms (not a villa). The 2-room option worked well, in that the lower room was a convenient exit toward the beach/restaurants, while the upper was convenient to the pool. Families with young kids might not like having 12 cement steps between the two rooms, but for 8 yrs & up the rooms were fine. The sunsets and views are lovely from the roof patio, the food is much better than you would get at an all-inclusive at a US resort (eg Disneyworld) and all food (appetizers, desserts etc) was included. We visited a villa, which was spectacular with its own plunge pool and jacuzzi, but located at the top of the hill, and there is no short way down to the beach from up there.
Teenager liked the water sports, water trampoline, smoothies, and having her own room.
We did a ziplining trip and the day-sail to Soufriere. I wasn't as enchanted with the full day catamaran trip as some others reviewers, but it is a convenient way to get down to Soufriere and the Pitons without having to drive yourself. We saw flying fish from the boat, opted for the visiting the waterfall (which I think was better than the mud bath, but wasn't spectacular if you've traveled a bit (Finger Lakes, White Mountains, Rockies etc)) and enjoyed the lunch at the chocolate / sugar cane plantation. I would recommend Windjammer for families, and couples who don't mind having a few kids around. There isn't much in the way of nightlife that would appeal to twenty-somethings.

Room Tip: I would recommend Rooms 101-104 have a nice view and are walk-able (although a steep walk) to the be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank UpstateNY42667
Thank you for your wonderful review! It is true we have a variety of different types of rooms from single rooms like 101-104 to the 4-bedroom Estate Villas with their own pools. And, while all rooms have great views, some are closer to the beach and some have simply spectacular views from up the hill. I'm glad your teenager enjoyed the resort; they can be so hard to please! We hope you'll return back soon.

mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,056 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!