“If you stay, book a day with Dell!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Carmel, IN
“If you stay, book a day with Dell!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

Just returned from St. Lucia for a destination wedding. Incredible trip. One of the best parts of the week (besides the wedding, of course) was our day with Dell, our tour guide from The Exodus Adeventure (exodusstlucia.com/). Apparently, The Windjammer has their own big catamarans that they contract with, but if you really want to go out for a fun, intimate time with a small group, this is absolutely the way to go! He will take you anywhere you want. He just wants his guests to have a great time. Divided by all nine of us on the boat, the price was very reasonable. He even brought to our resort a copy of the music he was playing during our trip because we liked it so much. It is because of locals like him that make people want to return to St. Lucia.

As for the resort itself, the "walk" or hike to our rooms was definitely tiring, but all in all, the Windjammer is a fine resort. Though I would probably check out some other places if I were to return. It is in need of some renovating at this time. In fact, the day we left, part of our back deck was washed down the hill in a heavy rain! The people below our room had to come through our room (at 7 in the morning) to get out!

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Steep hills to rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank IndyJMW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
indianapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

My nephew and I recently stayed for a week at the Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia. This property is in serious need of updating. Pools and rooms were shabby. Hot tub did not work and there was no response to our requests re. when it would be operable.

Our original ocean view room had an air conditioner that did not work properly - barely took the edge off the heat. Day #1 - we asked to have it looked at. Day #2, it wasn't fixed and we were told they checked the wrong room. Day #3 - I gave the option to move us to a different room or we'd move to a different hotel. We were FINALLY moved.

We took a number of excursions. DO take the sunset cruise and the zip lines in the rainforest. Do NOT take the horse riding. The workers were hitting the horses - punching them in the face, they had open sores on their withers, and the riding on the beach was only for a very few minutes. Most of the time we were riding on a road of broken pavement past construction and barking dogs.

Go to St. Lucia. Stay at a different property.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank lbindy40
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

We just returned from a trip to the Grenadines, and we had an overnight stay on the way on St. Lucia. We chose the Windjammer Landing for the overnight stay before heading out to a much smaller island the next day. In all fairness, Windjammer is not the type of destination we typically seek - we tend to find things that are MUCH more "off the beaten path" and smaller, but still quality lodgings.

We arrived late at night and were quite tired of travel, and it was nice to be greeted with a rum punch / beer. Check-in was fun because we were just led into the main lobby into some seating, and they brought the paperwork to is, and took our paperwork in return. We were traveling with another couple, and we'd both already paid our night in full, but they couldn't seem to find our companions' reservation. This was easily rectified with our companions showing the staff his receipt / printout from Hotels.com.

We were then loaded up into a shuttle (very small mini-van) and driven through the resort "roads" which are very steep and would be treacherous if you attempted to walk to your destination in the dark. I suppose it could very well have been scary but we were too tired!

It was very hot and humid outside, and had been raining for a few days (so we were told), so we were immensely pleased it was very cool in our villa. I'm sure we were in one of the smaller villas, though it seems like every villa is different slightly, at least from the outside. Ours was adequate and comfortable enough for one night. I would have been disappointed to stay here for more than a day or so, however. The decor was interesting to us - more Moroccan than Caribbean, but this was no problem as we loved Morroco! :)

We called for a shuttle down to the bar for a nightcap, and waited over 30 minutes for the shuttle. In fact, we'd fallen asleep on the bed waiting. Once we got down to the bar we had a couple of drinks, which were VERY reasonably priced, and enjoyed the island atmosphere. The servers in the bar, however, were not very welcoming or friendly, so they did not add to the experience.

In the morning we found we had a wonderful view of the bay and of the mountains. We walked down to breakfast because we didn't feel like dealing with the shuttle this time, and perhaps because we were at the tail end of the breakfast buffet time, we found the buffet items to be lacking and not very tasty. There was no syrup or butter for the pancakes, very little fruit remaining and not much variety in hot foods. We did get a fairly good omelet, however. Overall, I would say that the breakfast buffet was VERY overpriced for the quality / selection of food that is available.

After another shuttle ride up to our room, a shower, and another shuttle ride back down, we checked out and left our luggage with the valet, as we didn't need to leave for the airport until the afternoon.

We had a nice enough lunch in the restaurant near the pool. Our server there was very nice. In fact, most of the staff we ran into other the server in the bar the night before were very friendly and accommodating. But you do need to be prepared for the fact that in the Caribbean, things do not happen quickly. You'll need at least an hour to have a meal, if not 90 minutes. If you are on a time schedule, or very impatient, you will get frustrated by the service (but this would probably be the case at almost any hotel in the Caribbean). You kind of have to let it go and just relax.

It was time for us to leave after lunch, and to be honest, we were glad to be leaving Windjammer behind. It was okay, but the accommodations were of a somewhat lower standard than what we expected, and the shuttles would drive me absolutely crazy if I had to endure them for more than a day or so. Stuffing yourselves into a tiny mini-van with other guests after waiting 30 minutes (although sometimes it was only 5-10 minutes) when it is very hot outside (no A/C in vehicle) and driving up and down the harrowing roads was just too unpleasant.

If we find ourselves in St. Lucia again, we will definitely find something that doesn't have the need for these shuttles.

• Liked — Nothing stands out
  • Disliked — The shuttles
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank DallasTraveler06
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

The Windjammer Landing was my favorite vacation spot ive been to in the Caribbean. I tend to go to 5 star resorts and this one was the best. I stayed for 10 days February 16 to 25th. Im 14 and I went with my dad, sister, dad's girlfriend,and dad's girlfriend's son. This resort was very relaxing although id have to say the music by the pool side bar was quite loud and could get annoying at times but it wasnt always bad, just if you wanted to read or take a nap in the sun. From our villa we had an excellent view of the water and it was gorgeous. Waking up as the sun rose in the Caribbean over looking the water was so nice. There were many activities to do while there. There was a water trampoline which my older sister (15) enjoyed going on with me. The restaurants on the resort were very good in my opinion and there was a wide variety of choices. Prices weren't too bad but sometimes we left the hotel and went out to eat. There's a great restaurant with excellent steak I think it was called Alfredo's you should try it.The chef is a german guy and the food was great. The pools were nice there were plenty of them and the villas = gorgeous. I got food poisoining when I got to the Windjammer because we had an indirect flight and had to stop in Puerto Rico. I stupidly had a hot dog and then for about the first couple days I kept getting sick but then luckily I was fine. My sister and I play tennis so the courts were nice there and we would often play at night when it was cooler and not so sunny. I didn't really mind walking up to our villa because the place was so gorgeous although sometimes if i was just lazy after being in the ocean and sun id just take it up. The Piton Mountains were a beautiful sight to see and we rented a car and the Pitons were gorgeous. I would def, recommend scuba diving right near them and taking a boat tour around them. My dad went scuba diving there and said it was very nice. I really enjoyed the Wndjammer and would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — great scenery...pitons...ocean...beach
  • Disliked — everything was great except for the fact that I got food poisining from puerto rico
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled with family
8 Thank soccershrimpxox
CENTRAL NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

Just recently returned home from a 10 night 9 day stay @ the windjammer. The trip was excellent overall no problems at all with the hotel or anything that was booked thru them , american eagle airlines / american airlines however was a different story. We found our 1 bedroom villa without the plunge pool to be very roomy and well layed out . we did have an open air unit and it was not to much of a problem for us, i can see how some might not find it enjoyable but again for us not a problem . We found the staff to be extremely freindly and helpfull, from the reception desk to the shuttle drivers to the grounds crews everyone was very freindly and welcoming . there was some construction going on during our stay however it did not affect us or our stay . All of the resturants where very good we really did not have any bad meals .the breakfast buffet @ Dragonfly was a treat everymorning and the ala carte menu was great as well. lunch @ Jammers and Embers where both satisfying with a large selection to choose from . Dinners @ Papa Don's ,The Upper Deck ,and Dragonfly where more of the same . The Chef @ The Upper Deck was very helpfull in preparing our catch of the day from our fishing charter , he made us Mahi Mahi 2 ways grilled and broiled w/ rice and veggies that was excellent, could not be more pleased. I would say however that Dragonfly was by far the best meal that we had while staying there every course more delicious than the last, I went as far to say if I was granted a last meal that would have been it. Well enough about the food, The water sports that are offered are excellent w/ hobie cats and small sailboats to use if you would like, windsurfing, snorkeling, tube rides , banana boat rides all very well maintained and operated . The onsite diving shop Eastern Caribbean Divers was great Donovan , and his crew are very hospitable and knowledgeable . I was lucky enough to spend 4 days and 1 night with them . Great diving with even better people is always a good thing wherever you may go , and St. Lucia is no exception to that . Lil Dell and Captain Tom from exodus charters where on hand to make our fishing experience memorable .Captain Tom runs a very nice well equipt 30' fishing charter that we tookout with 2 other guys , we had a great time and i cannot wait to fish with Tom and his mate Tyson again. I would highly recomend that if you wanted to do a private tour of the island by boat to try to find Dell and his 27' hurricane or Tom and you would not be disapointed. On the other side of that coin if you wanted to tour the island by land to find a local taxi driver as opposed to booking it thru the resort . We where able to save a good amount by doing so ourselves and we were not disapointed the Gentelman we used we found down by Castries Market and he was great to me and my family very hospitable and knowledgble. If anyone is interested I can provide a # to reach him @ once there or before your arrival. So all in all The windjammer , the entire island of St. Lucia ,and several of its residents have made a lasting impression on us and we cannot wait until the next time we are so lucky to see them all again . I myself read alot of reviews prior to traveling anywhere and to be completely honest with you i was a little nervous about our upcoming trip due to some of the reviews others have posted , I now can tell you to go with an open mind and conclude for yourself , because some times it seems to me that certain people can not be happy anywhere or with anything and I think that this is one of those examples . Safe travel to all and enjoy .

• Liked — the hospitaliity
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank James D
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

We had planned to stay for 5 nights before moving on to the south of the island and the Jalousie Plantation. We stayed for only 4.
We had an oceanview room which although was a little dated was very pleasant, comfortable and with a lovely view.
The resort is very attractive in the main part with lovely grounds and has such great potential.
The disappointing aspect for us was the main building area and beach. Beware - there is extensive and intrusive building work taking place right next to the beach. Frankly, it's pretty noisy and far from relaxing. Even at the far end of the beach, one can still hear diggers and banging. As a result, we only spent a part of one day on the beach. Further, the resort type atmosphere is a bit down market with VERY noisy music for pool aerobics and activities.
Peculiarly, the management have chosen to place a revolting looking inflatable iceberg in the middle of the very attractive bay which is little more than an eyesore!
If you have children and want constant entertainment / organised fun in attractive surroundings and can tolerate the building work then this may be the place for you. If you are a young couple in their 20s (like us) and crave a bit of luxury, peace and quiet and relaxation - I could not recommend Windjammer Landing. The staff, however, were charming and attentive.
We spent the rest of our trip at the fantastic Discovery at Marigot Bay and Jalousie Plantation - both of which put Windjammer Landing in the shade.

Stayed October 2007
10 Thank JFF79
cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

We were delighted with our two bedroom villa. However we did share it for two weeks with a very persistent mouse (ok it could have been a rat, it was very fast and quite discrete). The views were wonderful, the staff mostly lovely, the food on the whole good (especially Jammers) and the cocktails far too easy to drink. My husband and I enjoyed the daily snorkelling and our teenage daughters loved the tubing and the trampoline, etc.. The big drawback was the lack of pathways or indeed any real walkway from villa to beach. This led to what became an interminable wait for the shuttle and what ,in the last couple of days, seemed a fight to get on before the late arrivees without manners. On the whole we returned with happy memories and new friends and we will go back to St Lucia (a truly beautiful and friendly island albeit wet!) just not to Windjammer.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank keatonbuster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!