We just returned from a trip to the Grenadines, and we had an overnight stay on the way on St. Lucia. We chose the Windjammer Landing for the overnight stay before heading out to a much smaller island the next day. In all fairness, Windjammer is not the type of destination we typically seek - we tend to find things that are MUCH more "off the beaten path" and smaller, but still quality lodgings.
We arrived late at night and were quite tired of travel, and it was nice to be greeted with a rum punch / beer. Check-in was fun because we were just led into the main lobby into some seating, and they brought the paperwork to is, and took our paperwork in return. We were traveling with another couple, and we'd both already paid our night in full, but they couldn't seem to find our companions' reservation. This was easily rectified with our companions showing the staff his receipt / printout from Hotels.com.
We were then loaded up into a shuttle (very small mini-van) and driven through the resort "roads" which are very steep and would be treacherous if you attempted to walk to your destination in the dark. I suppose it could very well have been scary but we were too tired!
It was very hot and humid outside, and had been raining for a few days (so we were told), so we were immensely pleased it was very cool in our villa. I'm sure we were in one of the smaller villas, though it seems like every villa is different slightly, at least from the outside. Ours was adequate and comfortable enough for one night. I would have been disappointed to stay here for more than a day or so, however. The decor was interesting to us - more Moroccan than Caribbean, but this was no problem as we loved Morroco! :)
We called for a shuttle down to the bar for a nightcap, and waited over 30 minutes for the shuttle. In fact, we'd fallen asleep on the bed waiting. Once we got down to the bar we had a couple of drinks, which were VERY reasonably priced, and enjoyed the island atmosphere. The servers in the bar, however, were not very welcoming or friendly, so they did not add to the experience.
In the morning we found we had a wonderful view of the bay and of the mountains. We walked down to breakfast because we didn't feel like dealing with the shuttle this time, and perhaps because we were at the tail end of the breakfast buffet time, we found the buffet items to be lacking and not very tasty. There was no syrup or butter for the pancakes, very little fruit remaining and not much variety in hot foods. We did get a fairly good omelet, however. Overall, I would say that the breakfast buffet was VERY overpriced for the quality / selection of food that is available.
After another shuttle ride up to our room, a shower, and another shuttle ride back down, we checked out and left our luggage with the valet, as we didn't need to leave for the airport until the afternoon.
We had a nice enough lunch in the restaurant near the pool. Our server there was very nice. In fact, most of the staff we ran into other the server in the bar the night before were very friendly and accommodating. But you do need to be prepared for the fact that in the Caribbean, things do not happen quickly. You'll need at least an hour to have a meal, if not 90 minutes. If you are on a time schedule, or very impatient, you will get frustrated by the service (but this would probably be the case at almost any hotel in the Caribbean). You kind of have to let it go and just relax.
It was time for us to leave after lunch, and to be honest, we were glad to be leaving Windjammer behind. It was okay, but the accommodations were of a somewhat lower standard than what we expected, and the shuttles would drive me absolutely crazy if I had to endure them for more than a day or so. Stuffing yourselves into a tiny mini-van with other guests after waiting 30 minutes (although sometimes it was only 5-10 minutes) when it is very hot outside (no A/C in vehicle) and driving up and down the harrowing roads was just too unpleasant.
If we find ourselves in St. Lucia again, we will definitely find something that doesn't have the need for these shuttles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, West Indies, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries