“Sandals Lies - Do Not live up to expectations set” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
mrlouisvilletraveler
“Sandals Lies - Do Not live up to expectations set”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

My fiancé and I booked a trip to Sandals Halcyon. Due to some weather related problems, we could not make it for our first day of vacation (we arrived a day late). Upon my arrival, I was told not to worry about the day; everything would be taken care of. They gave me a letter and told me to send to the main office for credit of the lost day. We spoke with the guest relations manager on-site and was verbally assured they would credit the lost day because of the circumstances. When I got home, they sent me a letter telling me they would credit a day if I booked another vacation with them. This was what I had told the guest relations manager when I was on-site would happen and again was assured it would not and I would receive my credit. They lied to my face and will not back the expectation they gave me while on-site. Buyer beware – I travel extensively each year on vacation, I will never stay at another Sandals again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — They lie - tell you one thing while on-site, another when you leave
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank mrlouisvilletraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Slovak first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed here for our honeymoon. I was a little apprehensive because of some of the poor reviews- but it met and bested ALL my expectations. We LOVED our room! Yeah, the AC had to be on alot but it's the tropics. The grounds were beautiful.
Everyone was always so helpful and polite, it was almost freaky- we're from Los Angeles where nobody is polite, ever. The food was pretty good- service was a little slow, but it being slow season, they probably just didn't have the full staff complement. I enjoyed all the food, every last bit. I also enjoyed the nearly 24-hour nacho bar and had the BEST pina coladas of my LIFE.
The kittens in the lobby were one of my favorite things :D
We went to the other 2 Sandals on the island- didn't like them as much. Too big, too hotel-like, ugly. I hated going to the Grande to get on a BUS to get to the restaraunt!!!
The Halcyon was just the right size- small! Cute, personal. We got to know so many of our fellow guests while we were there, it was great!
We loved this place, and we fully intend on going back for our next big vacation!

• Liked — Its beauty and small size
  • Disliked — Shower water temp. fluctuations
11 Thank StLuciaLover
Worcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

This was our Honeymoon and we picked an all inclusive Sandals resort to take the stress away after the hectic run up to the wedding. The Halcyon was recommended by our travel agent and we did like what we saw in the brochures. There are a few things that you should know and need to accept:

1) The immigration is a slow if polite affair in unairconditioned immigration hall. Run to be the first in the queue if you don't want spend an hour waiting to get through.

2) Don't get stung by the airport porters who carry your bags all of 10 yards to the Sandals desk and then expect a tip.

3) The transfer to the hotel takes an hour and twenty minutes from the aiport and is in a small mini van up some of the twistiest roads imaginable. This may not be much after a short hop from Miami but after an 8 hour flight from London if you get even vaguely carsick you may want to book the limo transfers.

4) The Halcyon is not some sprawling monolith of a Hotel. If you want that then go to the Regency or the Grand - they are far more geared up for the American market. The Halcyon is a far smaller more intimate affair. It may be missing some of the polish of the other two but more than makes up for it with a far better atmosphere.

5) The rooms were a little dissapointing bearing in mind the photography in the brochure and on the website and in the interests of ecology they don't put the aircon on in advance of your arrival so your do arrive to a stiffling hot room but 2 hours with the aircon on and it will be fine.

6) The safe in the room is far far too small for modern international travel. It barely holds a few items of jewellery plus passports and a wallet. Do not expect to be able to put any camera equipment or video cameras in there - let alone a laptop or anything similar. You will just have to hide them in your room and take your chances. We left a necklace out and it was taken. We reported it and although it was dealt with by the management in a very polite manner it was continually referred to as a loss instead of a theft. The police were also never called as they were trying to deal with it internally which did annoy us quite a bit.

Please don't misunderstand this review. I want to stress what a wonderful hotel the Halcyon is - I just think there are some aspects which people may not expect.

The staff are truley wonderful - not just polite and efficient but really personnal too. Celina in Marios restaurant is a joy as is Callistus the chef. He would tailor dishes to just how we wanted them. Shireen and Floralea are an absolute delight on the entertainment fron and Bodley and Nafarla will always ensure you have a drink to hand during your meal. Nothing is too much trouble for any of them.

The watersports centre is fantastic and the equipment and traing par excellence. Damien, Jerome and Charlie will take you to someo f the most fabulous diving you will ever have experienced. The resort is lush and green and the food in all of the restaurants is outstanding. Don't forget you can also visit the other resorts to experience their facilities all inclusive and a visit to La toc at the Regency is well worth it. Book as soon as you get there as it books up well in advance and try and get an early reservation and watch the Sun set while you dine.

A couples massage is a great way to spend an afternoon and if you want an expereince that you will never foget then book to go on the 2 hour pony trail and ride into the ocean bare back on a beautiful horse - TREMENDOUS!!!!

I really can't stress enough that the "No pressure - no problems" attitude of the staff makes you feel totally at your ease and if you can treat the staff as people rather than servants then you will discover a whole new level to the words friendly service.

For all my warnings - we have already booked to go back again next year!!!! - It was fantastic!!!!!!

• Liked — Fantastic friendly service
  • Disliked — Room was a let down - ocean view non existent
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank CyrusJH
desun75
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

well
we expected a lot more for what we got. first off when we arrived i thought the resort was very dated and would be above the and beyond if we were in the 80's . yes they do have nice garden and palm trees but we have seen this before in Florida . i guess if your from the north you might be excited. our room was like a old shack with a loud in the wall air conditioner that blew hot air on the patio and leaked water . our bathroom was hot and no air conditioning and we could hear gym music and a TV going all day and night in the bathroom because our room backed up to the gym. our sink was clogged up and the bath tub was nasty and the drain cover was missing so no luck taking a bath . the pillows were also very hard and old towels that felt hard . sandals called me two weeks prior to my stay and sold me a up grade to a grand ocean view room for a extra price. when we arrived to the room we looked out to the garden and no ocean also found out through the staff that indeed we were in the garden room and not the upgraded ocean view. i went to the front desk about this the manager told me " oh were sorry but those rooms were full and the beast we could do is put you in the right room 3 days later " and yes they declined giving me back my upgraded costs.
The food at the resort was umm not good ... the breakfast buffet was the best out of all the food. Mario's was a joke and the pier was OK at best . when we first arrived my wife had some desserts and one was the cheesecake ,she asked me to try it and it was hot and texture was wrong. she was very sick that night and delayed our plans the next day .

we did visit the other resorts grand and st regis. the grand is a awesome resort ,this is what i thought we were getting but not so at the halcyon. the food was better . we took a tour of the rooms and we were sick, way better than halcyon , they had refrigerators full of drinks at your demand and even room service breakfast in bed ! at the halcyon we could not even get bottle water unless we paid 8 $ us . the regis was just as impressive and nice.
the service at the halcon was bad it was like there in island time not friendly and almost it felt like they were doing us a favor by serving us !
we would just stay at the halcyon at night and go to the other resorts during the day .
i would recommend the grand and regis to other couples for a great time but don't go expecting great food , i guess i would say that quantity over quality was the issue here . I'm in the resturant biz and i know food and service and i was disappointed ant both but oh well we made the best of it !

Stayed June 2007
10 Thank desun75
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

We recently spent two weeks in St,. Lucia. 5 nights at the Halcyon and 9 nights at the Grande (Grande review separate). This was our 1st visit to the Halcyon. Gorgeous property with the most beautiful gardens. Nice long stretch of beach for walking. We had a concierge beachfront room (#133) with a beautiful view of the ocean. Lots of birds, gorgeous and many different varieties of hummingbirds flitting around. The staff were very nice and friendly, with the exception of a few surly ladies at the beach grill. We especially enjoyed spending time chatting with Garvey at the pool bar and Agnes at the quiet pool in the gardens...she really does remember everyones names and favorite cocktails. The food was average, with the exception of The Pier, which was outstanding. We loved it so much during our first visit, that we returned a second time with friends of ours who were staying at the Grande. On our arrival, two staff members from concierge service arrived at our room with balloons to tie to our bed and a beautiful tropical floral arrangement..nice touch!! Our room, even though it was the top shelf room on the property, was average..but immaculate. I believe that this Sandals is slated for renovation soon. The bathroom was old, but again, spotless. The only drawback on the room for us...we really enjoy a nice patio, especially in the evening for cocktails/sunset before dinner....the a/c was an old-fashioned through the wall unit that blew HOT air onto the patio...since the temps in St. Lucia are blazing hot/humid at this time of year, the a/c made it virtually impossible to enjoy the patio.
We've visited many Sandals and this was the first time that we felt the difference between their "Classic" and "Signature" resorts. Also....this place is SOOOO quiet.....almost TOOOO quiet...it seemed that most of the guests would leave the resort during the day - for outside tours and to visit the other Sandals - so the "quiet" pool in the gardens (I think it's called the Paradise pool) was SO quiet, that we found ourselves whispering (?) while there. If you are looking for absolute peace and quiet and solitude, then this is the place for you. Also, if you don't mind shuttling back and forth to the other resorts, then this is the place for you.
We met a LOT of really nice people there and enjoyed visiting with other guests and staff members, but we were happy to get to the Grande for the second part of our stay. Don't get me wrong...I like peace and quiet and solitude...just not all day every day. We've found that at other resorts, you have a choice...if you want to mix and mingle you can, if you want to party down you can, and if you want to find a quiet place alone, you can. We just felt this spot was a little too laid back for us.

• Liked — The ocean view and the gardens
  • Disliked — The old a/c unit blasting hot air onto the patio
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Caribbeanlover
Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I chose to travel to St. Lucia for our recent anniversary. We stayed at the Sandals Halcyon, because we always heard great things about Sandals. All the myths were true! The hotel was gorgeous, the views stunning, and the service was unreal. They treated us like we were king and queen. Everything about our trip was excellent and we highly recommend Sandals to anyone who is traveling to the caribbean!

Stayed June 2007
8 Thank grkbeauty101
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

Out of three beautiful Sandals resorts on the island of St. Lucia, the Halcyon Beach is definitely the way to go! The smallest of the three resorts, the Halcyon has a comfortable feel to it. You'll find yourself strolling through lush manicured tropical vegetation including coconut trees, mango trees, and many other local plants rare to St. Lucia - rather than being transported by shuttle bus around the resort as is the practice at the island's other two Sandals. Having visited the other two beautiful Sandals resorts, the Halcyon was still the best fit for me. The value of the trip was excellent and my expectations were easily met by the friendly and professional staff Sandals Halcyon. With three restaurants, a beachside bar and grill, and two "swim-up" poolside bars, you'll never go hungry. Sandals Halcyon is certainly worth the trip!

• Liked — Couples only at Sandals Resorts made the Halcyon even more relaxing with honeymoon couples to mature couples.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nickff302
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!