“FANSATY PARADISE ISLAND”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Ottawa, Canada
“FANSATY PARADISE ISLAND”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

On our previous trip at Antigua Sandals we had book to go to Halcyon the next year. During the year I had gotten very ill and I’m know suffering with some physical challenge, therefore I was going to cancel our holidays to St Lucia. My travel agent assured us that Halcyon would be able to accommodate my needs. When we arrived I was extremely fatigued and we were escorted to our room immediately. I was touched by what the Manager and all staff did for us by providing me the entire requirement I needed and more. They were superb, attentive and extremely friendly.
I was nervous to travel with my illness but after experiencing this holiday and being in excellent hands, I will continue to travel.. Anyone who is ill or suffering with some challenge please look into it and inquire your needs to the resort manager. They are good people and they will try to do anything if they can. To make your trip remember able
It is an ideal resort for anyone with physical challenge and of any age. Everyone blends well together in this small resort.
The room was very comfortable. They were cleaned everyday to perfection.
The food was excellent with so many different cuisines to sample across the three resorts that we were spoiled for excellent tasty choices.
Do try a tour with “Joe Know” tour. We meet with Will on the Beach and he asked us if we were interested to take a tour. We mention that I have physical challenge and require assistance. He guaranteed us that he will able to provide us a tour for my needs and whatever I wanted to do, and so he did. Will was wonderful and very understanding of my situation. I was able to see the most beautiful island. Thank you Will for being a good person. We had an excellent and fun time..
For the ones who were not pleased with the resort, I think you look for it. If you just arrive with a positive outlook, you may have enjoyed yourself more. Do not expect to be hand served there, they are not a slave. On the average there are few of you who dislike this resort and when I read your comments, I find them very childish. You should be grateful that you can travel and experience different cultures. Allot of people do not have this privilege to travel; so therefore you should consider traveling only in your own country.

I have never written a blog before, may not ever again, but I can give no better recommendation to anyone than to visit Halcyon Sandals in St Lucia.

1 Thank CANADIANGEESE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Slovak first
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We visited the Halcyon for the 3rd time and were still very happy with just about everything. We ate at The Pier, Marios & Bayside on site and at La Toc and Kimonos at The Regency and could not fault the food. Beautifully presented, cooked and served well and all tasted delicious. What a choice at breakfast in the Bayside! This resort is smaller than the other 2 on the island which may be one reason that the staff are so friendly and helpful, everyone stops to chat whether they be management, playmakers, cleaners, security, gardeners. The rooms are excellent and probably far too plush as for the most part you only sleep there. The only criticism this time was the number of midge bites that my wife suffered but you can hardly blame Sandals for that!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2010

It all started out as a normal two week holiday, if a holiday at a Sandals resort can ever be described as normal. ‘Luxury included’ the adverts state and Halcyon in St Lucia certainly lives up to the adverts claim, this was our third visit to a Sandals resort and our second to Halcyon, we fell in love with the resort on our previous visit in December 2008, the staff were all friendly and we were hoping they were all still there.
On our arrival there were some disappointments Chris and Marvin, staff we had got very close to in 2008 had both left, Marvin Joined the Army and Chris moved to another Sandals resort on the island, but the island was as beautiful as ever. Our first week was great, we met a couple of teachers and enjoyed each other’s company, we dined with Lennox Dupal aka Michael Holding the resort manager and Wayne George the Customer services manager on the Wednesday, little did we know how important these guys were to become.
The second week was to include the defining moment of our holiday, on Thursday the 15th of April UK airspace closed due to volcanic activity in Iceland, flights were cancelled and holidays were extended due to the six days of cancelled flights, we soon found out that we were not going to be repatriated until April the 30th, this was when the staff at Sandals came into their own, they were brilliant, Lennox took us on a tour of the island on the Saturday, Wayne ensured we knew what was happening with our flights, Sandals says of returning guests, that you are coming home, we were calling our room home by the time we flew home, I can give the resort no higher praise than that.
I have never written a blog before, may not ever again, but I can give no better recommendation to anyone than to visit Sandals Halcyon in St Lucia, a resort shows its true colours in adversity, Sandals had to look after upwards of 100 stranded holidaymakers, it did it with style, go there soon.

3 Thank KevinMitchell
UK
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We decided on St Lucia as the destination for celebrating our first wedding anniversary. Having never travelled to the Caribbean before, we can honestly say this was the ultimate holiday. From arrival to departure staff were very friendly and helpful. There was so much to do and see with the playmakers working very hard to entertain and ensure everyone was having a good time. In 10 days we crammed lots into our visit, from the Soufriere Adventure, having massages, watersports, visiting the other Sandals resorts including the street carnivals and watching the world cup cricket. The food was excellent with so many different cuisines to sample across the three sites that we were spoilt for choice.

Looking forward to going back (we would not change a thing)!!

2 Thank sneerbillymiaow
vermont
Reviewed May 8, 2010

This was our third visit to Sandals Halcyon, and was just as wonderful as the previous two visits.

We flew into the Vieux Fort airport, for the first time, and survived the 1hr 15 min drive to the Halcyon (minor carsickness). The countryside was much different this time compared to the last visit, because of the drought.

The cool towels and champagne upon arrival was very refreshing. We were shown to our home for the next 7 nights, room 415 (the same building/floor/view I had requested through my travel agent). Third room from the end closest to the ocean, in the 400's block. The only issue we had with our room, which I remember we had the same issue last time we visited, was the water pressure in the morning around 7:15 until 8 am, because a lot of people were taking showers during this time. We had a very nice, cool room, not updated recently, but was comfortable enough for the time we spent in it. Our a/c unit was a little loud, but I didn’t mind (it drowned out my husbands snoring).

We enjoyed the water sports, used the hobie catamaran 4 times, and went tubing once. We mostly lounged around the Sunset pool, and enjoyed the games with the playmakers. We played pool and beach volleyball, as well as other various activities.

We attended the returning guest dinner, and were seated with (I know I’ll get some of this wrong, sorry!) Nadia, who was in charge of setting up the weddings/renewal of vows; Noelita, who works at the Soon Come Back desk, and lastly, Kirt (the manager of the year for 2010), who is in charge of training all staff, and might I say, is VERY good at his job. (Hi All!) The dinner was delicious, and the conversation very enlightening. We had good music, and dancing. Afterwards, we went to karaoke, of which I am horrible at, but I tried.

The nightly entertainment usually began at 9:30 or 10:30pm; and because my husband is a lightweight (LOL) we were usually back in the room by 9:30pm. So the only night we enjoyed entertainment was on Wednesday. I wish the entertainment had begun earlier, so we could enjoy it more.

We ate at the Bayside for breakfast/lunch most days, tried the beach grill once, ate at the Pier twice, Mario’s once, and went to the Grande(the street party that wasn’t) and Regency (Kimonos) each once. The food was excellent, we enjoyed the variety of dishes (especially breakfast made to order omelets and eggs. Thanks Philip & Matteus!) , and the service was very good, except that I had an issue toward the end of our vacation, with the refilling of water at the Bayside. (I had to hunt down the wait staff to get a refill, not a huge issue, but an annoying none the less) The Irie, Sunset pool and Paradise pool bar staff was attentive, and the drinks prepared were delicious. The beach grill was MUCH different this time vs. last. The food was just eh, and the drinks from the bar were not so good (last time we visited, we spent a lot of time here, this time, only once).

We did visit the other two resorts, however the visit was very brief - only for dinner - and mostly because it didn’t feel comfortable, and homey like Halcyon. There’s just a different vibe at the other 2 resorts, an air of snooty-ness, but the meals were good.

We tried out the photo shoot from SnapShots by Sandals. The first night we were scheduled, our photographer missed our shoot. The second night we scheduled, we had “Shrek”... and a WONDERFUL photo shoot! Well worth missing the previous shoot.

I’d say Hi to a few people (we’ll see you in 2012): Jullian - come out and play more, man!!!!; Dolores - always a pleasure to see your smiling face!; Celine - chocolate makes the world go round!!!; Knedy - call if you come to the area!; and Ron (I think - from Maintenance) for going above and beyond to fix my favorite pair of sandals for me - thank you SO much!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelandavid
Poole Dorset
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Our first time at a Sandals resort, were very impressed with everything, food excellent, service always with a smile and very friendly staff. The beach vendors were real characters and we had no problem with them bothering us, a polite ' no thankyou ' was all it took. Do try a ' Joe Knows ' tour, we had great fun with Big Will and the Captain, fun all the way and Will was a mine of information. Do try Le Toc restaurant at the Regency, food superb. The only downside was the mosquitoes, ( not Sandals fault ) do take plenty of repellent and bug spray for the room. A very enjoyable stay, would definately recommend this resort as it is small and personal. Would we return? YES, YES, YES.

2 Thank rookiesPooleDorset
norfolk
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Although it was our fifth visit to Sandals Halcyon Beach, St.Lucia , it was the first time we had been for Reunioon Week. This is a week Where all the guests have been before, and love the resort as we do!! Also all tours and entertainment were provided by the resort. It was Excellent!!!
The staff all went the extra mile and did everything in their power to ensure that everyone enjoyeyed themselves. We then had another week in which we could do as we pleased, diving, swimming, relaxing, or joining in the daily entertainments programme. We did some of each. However out 14 night holiday turned into 26 nights because of the volcano in Iceland, but we were not inconvenienced at all. We didn't have to change resorts or rooms. Our only problem was running out of clean clothes to wear.
The Management and Staff are all very friendly. It is a very intimate resort and many are now like our extended family. I have many to mention by name, but if I don,t please forgive me as I haven't got a photographic memory as Estelle, who now works in the photo shop has. On our first visit in 2003 she worked at the beach grill, and asked everyones name the first time she saw them and has never forgotten anyone since.
Our Family now includes Aaaron, Agnes, Albert, Alison, Barney, Brent, Celina, Curlyna
Ellon, Estelle, Everton, Francis, Garfield, George, Jameson, Johnathan, Julian, Kevlin, Lennox, Martha, Martin, Meir, Modeste, Richmond, Rita, Shrek, Valencia, Vanessa, Vidal and last but not least Wayne.We alsomade some very good friends this year and have exchanged e-mail addresses etc to keep in touch. It is an ideal resort for anyone of any age, weddings, honeymooners or oldies like us. Everone blends together in a very close community.
We would like to nominate as employee of the month, a joint award to Aaron & Curlyna- as they both work in different fields this should be possible. Aaron we knew from before and he made us both very welcome, and Curlyna for encouraging us to join in the games at the beach barbecue in our first week. It was great fun!!!
y

2 Thank tony1907
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!