“Amazing Honeymoon Experience”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
NC
“Amazing Honeymoon Experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Forgive me for this being so long, but there is so much to say.
Before I booked my Sandals Halcyon vacation, I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor and it sounded like the perfect place for my husband and I to spend our Honeymoon, and it was!

Upon arriving at Sandals Halcyon, we were treated like family and that set the mood for the entire trip. After dropping the bags off at the room we headed straight to the bar that sits right next to the beach. Our first encounter was with Aaron (bartender) and he was so welcoming and informative. We bonded with him right away and looked forward to seeing him everyday. In fact, he was actually off on our last day of vacation, but he knew where we would be (attached to the bar stools at the swim up pool bar) and he swung by while walking along the beach to say goodbye. That meant a lot to us.

You will find that there are several locals that hang around on the beach trying to make a living off of the tourists, but they are not obtrusive at all and are very friendly. Especially Daniel, his "office" is right next to the swim up pool bar on the other side of the fence where he displays beautiful carvings, shells, jewelry, etc... He was wonderful. He made us several different pieces of jewelry to order and the prices were extremely reasonable. We even told him that we collect garden frogs and he sat there and carved one for us, and it turned out beautifully!

I need to go back to the "family atmosphere" that I first mentioned. By the second day of our trip, most of the staff knew us by name and what our drink preferences were. You most likely will not find this at a larger resort. It made us feel very special and we did not want to leave. In fact, we extended out stay by one extra day. The hotel was very accommodating and assisted us with contacting the airport and such in order to make things easier on us.

Yes, the Halcyon is smaller than the other 2 Sandals on the island, but in my opinion, the best. It is very intimate and welcoming. It was so easy to get to know everyone and to get around the resort. We made fast friends with other couples staying at the resort and plan to vacation with them again in the future.

The resort offers free watersports and that was amazing! They take you out in the ocean for snorkeling, scuba diving, etc...and it is definitely worth it. We only did the snorkeling, but our friends did the scuba almost everyday and we all loved it.

We only did 2 excursions outside of the hotel and they were both awesome. We did the zip line through the jungle and the Souffriere Adventure. Doing just these 2 activities we were able to see most of the island and learned a lot about the culture. These trips can all be arranged through the concierge at the hotel. His name is George and he is great.

I have to give props to Vanessa. She was one of the bartenders at the resort and she makes the BEST pina coladas. Ask her to make you a nutty colada too (if you are not allergic to nuts). She was so gracious, kind and accommodating. We truly looked forward to seeing her everyday.

There are many staff members that deserve recognition and I hope that I don't leave anyone out. The entire staff was wonderful, but the following stick out in my mind the most (and I had the most contact with):
Bar: Aaron, Vanessa, Tamara, Valencia, Vidal, Jimmy
Front Desk: Ruth & Lloni
Photoshop: Jameson (did a wonderful job on our sunset photoshoot) & Kervin (very helpful & kind)
Restaruant: Robert (NYG fan, just like my husband) and there were many others, however, I cannot remember their names.
Playmakers: Eselyn, Kim, Julian
Housekeeper: Velma
Cook: Eurony
Concierge: George
The Body Shop: Leah did a great job cutting my hair

Two men, Otis and Francis, stick out in my mind, but I cannot rememer where they worked.
These are just the ones that we had daily contact with, but I do want it known that EVERYONE was wonderful.

The food was great at all restaurants, but Mario's was our favorite.

On Monday nights, thes resort offers entertainment and a Caribbean BBQ at Bayside Restaurant. I highly recommend attending this show and the food was so yummy - huge lobsters on the grill was my favorite.

Overall, our entire stay was amazing and I do not have any complaints.
Thank you Sandals Halcyon for making our Honeymoon so enjoyable and memorable!

Love,
Jaime & Rafael

6 Thank BoombasticNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
  • Slovak first
Trinidad
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We spent 4 nights recently, It was just great, the choice of the 3 resorts is amazing, the watersport area needs specail mention as in most other reosrts there is a feeling that you are a bother, here they are helpful, encouraging and facilitating.

the fitness centre at the halcyon is a bit dissapointing , but you can go to the one at the regency which is great

1 Thank easygoingTNT
Bristol
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My wife and i travelled to this hotel to celebrate our 25th annirversary. the hotel was extremely relaxed and the staff very attentive. if you have a problem then just ask. as with most hotels you can always find something to moan about but why bother there is enough right about this venue that you do not need too. i am also sure that when the refurbishment is finished then it will be even better.
St Lucia is a great tropical island to visit.
we will go back at some point.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rccmc
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2009

This hotel is the quietest of the 3 Sandals on St. Lucia - which suited us very well. We really like the ability to use the other Sandals on St. Lucia and because they are all very close one can go just for an evening meal very easily and take advantage of the different restaurant styles.
The rooms and service were good - except for the fitted bed sheets which were too small and kept coming off.
One thing that Sandals could improve upon is their communication. e.g. 1) On-line check-in has to be done 4 days in advance - but this is not stated until after you have tried to check-in, 2) Dress code requirements for restaurants (i.e. long trousers) are not made clear before traveling - several people had to buy long trousers at the hotel, 3) We booked a "special event" and were not informed that we had to contact the sales office on arrival.

1 Thank suejul
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2009

The Sandals Halcyon beach was perfect for my honeymoon. It has wonderful amenities but is small and intimate enough that I never felt like I was at a big hotel. With only a few exceptions, the service was outstanding and the staff was courteous and friendly. Melissa, our concierge, was extremely helpful and I felt like we were longtime friends by the time my wife and I left. Kevin was an outstanding bartender who really raised the bar for level of service and presentation. Maverick was very helpful with a variety of requests we had, whether it was taking pictures for us or making sure our breakfast in bed was taken care of, he was a friendly face to see. Of the three Sandals locations on St. Lucia, I was very pleased that I stayed at Halcyon Beach. The others were too big and felt like big hotels. Halcyon felt like home.

5 Thank TheGingerKid
cheltenham
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Great hotel with superb faclities - you must try the watersports and enjoy a Scorpion cocktail! The food is fantastic with superb choice and hugely attentice staff.

2 Thank GMCCheltenham
California
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I just can’t believe it’s been a couple of weeks and we still can’t get over our wonderful vacation. The Halcyon is everything you’d want in a vacation. We stayed in a beach -front honeymoon suite for 7 days and it just wasn’t long enough. We met the most wonderful people. The food was out of this world. The two other Sandals resorts were gorgeous but didn’t have the personal touch the Halcyon did. I celebrated my 50th birthday there with my wife and I couldn’t have asked for a better place to be. The Halcyon is very clean inside and out. The gardens that surround the resort are beautiful. The restaurants, bartenders, chefs, maids, grounds keepers, playmakers, management, and all who are involved in making our stay were first class. You could sign up to go water tubing or snorkeling or even sail on a Hobie cat whenever you wanted. There were excursions to go out on if you wanted to get away during the day. There were also shuttles that take you to the other resorts if you chose to. We got a massage together outside in the gazebo, I highly recommend it. If you got bored it was you own fault. The staff, we just can’t express the service that they gave us. Albert, Melissa, Maverick, Agnes, Venessa, Eslyn, Kym, Garfield, Chester, Claudia, and all the ones we missed, we love you guys and we’ll be back soon. We really have to give a big shout out to Venessa, she was a real inspiration in making our stay a memorable one. We also would like to thank Melissa, she put our itinerary together which helped us make our stay better planned for the week. I would say if you’re looking for a resort that gives you friendship and a personal touch, the Halcyon is the resort for you. We plan on going back in 2010.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HiltonandLori
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!