“loved it loved it loved it”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Indiana
Reviewed August 23, 2005

My husband and I just got back from the halcyon . We stayed from 8-13 to 8-20-05. We loved it. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Are main intent on this vacation was to be romantic and enjoy each other's undivided attention. We did'nt do very many activities, that was'nt what we were looking for. We spent a lot of time in the slower paced pool drinking drinks that Rowland made for us "ask for lead in your pencil". Rowland was awesome. All but 2 staff members were very sweet. We were never inclined to go to the other sandals resorts because halcyon fit us just right. We were in the honeymood room(concierge). The food was pretty good but not anything real outstanding but.... we were'nt there for the food. We did go deep sea fishing(resort activity for llO.OO per person. My husband was the only one who caught a fish and next time would probably go on
a charter with less people so there was more time to be in the "chair" There was 9 people on this one so you only got to fish for 10 min. every 90 minutes. We are not travelers so we don't have much to compare to but for us I was so glad we stayed at the more mellow place. Something about this place was perfect for us. We swam in the pool one night while a saxaphone player played and that was very romantic. My husband suprised me and we ate at the gazebo. We spent a lot of time in our room!!! There is love in the air!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 22, 2005

We went to the Halcyon in May 2005. We were so excited about going to a Sandals hotel for our honeymoon our expectations were so high.
Everyone is there on their honeymoon or wedding so no freebies and no special favours. No petals on bed or towels made into swans! Silly but there were no little touches, no waiter service round the pool or beach.

Flight - We booked with Hayes and Jarvis and they use BWIA. We find out now that apparently they are always delayed departing from Heathrow. This was the worst flight I have ever been on even worse then Aeroflop! We spent the first 12 hours of our honeymoon was spent in Heathrow as the plane was delayed. Then it was a stand in plane which was filthy. The return flight was better and the food was almost good! As we arrived at 3.30am St Lucian time customs were there just for us and our bags were waiting for us on the other side, nice and easy. Pay the extra and go with some else. We didn’t see anything of the Hayes and Jarvis rep.

Transfer - No problem here there is an hour and half transfer in a little mini bus with dodgy air-con but it was 4 in the morning! These are just local taxi that the hotels use. There are no big coaches in St Lucia which I found wonderful.

Rooms - Check in was easy and we did get a glass of bubbly at 5:30am which was a bit novel. The rooms are clean, great big bed, and all have a balcony or terrace. But the Bathrooms were a little less inviting - be careful of the showers they were never a constant temperature. We did ask to change room as there is a major road that runs just outside the hotel and if you don't have the rattly air-con on the road is very noisy if you are staying in blocks 700 and 800. Apparently they up graded our room but I couldn't find any differences except it was a little bigger and you didn't have a road running passed your door. I believe that everywhere else was quite. Yes the air-con was noisy, everyone had a mown about that, we just had the ceiling fan on at night so we could sleep in peace. There were tea and coffee making facilities but all I wanted was a cold glass of water in the middle of the night and this was not possible as there were no bottles of water or fridges in the room and I don't care how safe they say the water was I was not drinking it, especially after it had rained the water from the taps ran brown!!

Pools and beach - To start off there are not enough sun umbrellas, 2 in the whole hotel! The hotel was peaceful and there was no problems getting sun beds around either pools or on the beach. It was about a 50 50 split English and North American, which was nice. Although there is always one loud American women where ever you go that spoils the peace and quite. For all you English girls that have no problem sun bathing topless be warned it's not a done thing in America and they don't like it and they will tell you!! They would have a shock if they came to Europe. I think this was only round the pools and they didn't mind on the beach but don't walk around topless on the beach as if the police see you they will ask you to put your top on - now that was embarrassing! The floats were great and fun to watch people get on. There are 2 pools both with swim up bars. One has music and games, the other was chilled out and quite and the bar staff were happy to tell the louder people to quite down.
Beach - the beach was nice but it was not white sand like it the holiday books. It is a public beach so you have many beach sellers they are friendly enough but after a couple for days just dam annoying. We didn’t see any fish during the day but we did see cheeky crabs.

Restaurants - This is where Sandals shines I can not complain at all about the food it was like eating out every night. We could use the other 2 resort facilities and restaurants. Fantastic. Jump on an air-con bus and 15 minutes you were there. This is why I would go back to a Sandals resort the great restaurants, so many to choice from and all great. What ever you do, do not just stay in your own hotel you are missing out on the best bit. Evening entertainment is not the best but that doesn't matter as you are to busy eating and having drinks in the piano bars. Breakfast and lunch there were plenty of choice too. All hot/cold and fresh.

St Lucia – friendly people, safe walk about in the day, not a lot of exciting activities. Just site seeing and they aren’t cheap but worth doing to see the island or hire a car the roads are ok and you couldn’t get lost that easily. One thing that is worth spending the money on is the helicopter trip – fantastic and I don’t like flying but it is amazing to see this beautiful country for the sky’s.

It was a great honeymoon just not the high standard that we expected from Sandals with no nice little touches. I think we could have got a much better service from another hotel chain at the same price. Although the bonus of using the other hotels facilities and restaurants may out way this fact. If I was to choose out of the Halycon, Grand or Regency I would go to the Grand it was lovely and I believe what you would get what you expect from a Sandals hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
19  Thank Becca-Beach-Bum
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We honeymooned at the Sandal’s Halcyon Beach from the 13th – 27th June and can honestly say we had a fantastic honeymoon. Having read many often mixed reviews on this site for the last year, I was worried at points but we went with an open mind. From the minute we landed at the airport Sandals really looked after us, after reading the hints on here we refused help from the airport staff to carry our bags so we therefore avoided the charge/tip for the few feet they carry them. Pretty much straight away we were transfered to resort in an A/C mini bus with only one other couple – although we did hear from another couple that they were transferred in a packed mini bus so guess it depends on your luck. Yes the transfer is nearly an hour and a half and yes the driving is sometimes a bit worrying but the drivers must know the roads & you do feel confident that they know what they’re doing – it is also a great opportunity to see the real St Lucia.

On arrival at the hotel they quickly take your luggage and take you to the piano bar for a glass of champagne and cold towel. We were really impressed with how friendly and polite the staff are, they really can’t do enough to help you and always say hello when you pass. The playmakers who encourage you to take part in activities and generally entertain you are brilliant and make the holiday, especially Teddy – he’s a real laugh. We enjoyed the Casino night & The Lovers Game on a Saturday they were really good nights.

We did make the most of the other resorts too, often visiting their pools, beaches or restaurants. Some people we met didn’t fully take advantage of this and I couldn’t see the logic if they were staying for a week or more. Both are bigger and better than the Halcyon, so to be able to take advantage of their facilities for free and not be stuck in the one resort was brilliant. The Grande in particular is great for the beach - however while I say these resorts are better we were still always happy to go home to the Halcyon. While the other two are great for size and facilities the Halcyon is cosy, quaint and friendly. We wouldn’t have swapped it. Plus it was in the middle of the other resorts so only a 10/15 min bus trip to either.

Our experience of the restaurants was good – we tried them all but one! Which meant out of 14 evenings we only ate in the same place twice! Which we thought for an all-inclusive holiday was a brilliant prospect. Our favourite restaurants were Armando’s (an Italian at the Regency) we had two great meals there and it has a lovely view over the Bluff out to the ocean. We also enjoyed Kimono’s -the Japanese and Barefoot by the Sea at the Grande. Overall we were really impressed with the food, we didn’t have a bad meal and I put on half a stone in weight, which I’m still trying to shift! That was the only down side! Yes the beach is narrow but the Grande’s beach is lovely and only a short ride away and yes there are beach vendors who do try to sell you things but they are always polite and a quick no thank you and they wont bother you again. However see Chris if you want some fantastic woodcarvings – he’s really talented and made me a lovely sculpture of a man and a woman with our names engraved – would have cost triple at a shop and it’s the best thing we bought back – so personally I’m glad I spoke to him.

We also did quite a few excursions – our favourites were the half-day jungle tour to the Errard Plantation and the Horse riding. The trip to Martinique was also good and worth the money as we saw Dolphins and Whales on the way back, which was great.

We were worried about the weather in June but it was fine – we had one overcast day out of 14 and then other days there might be an odd rain shower for 20 minutes in the afternoon but it was always hot and the sun would come back as quickly as it went.

Overall we had a fantastic honeymoon and will never forget it, we’d recommend it highly, if you visit with an open mind and don’t sweat the small stuff, which we didn’t, I’m sure you’ll have an amazing holiday. We would love to visit other Sandal’s resorts and wouldn’t hesitate to go back to the Halcyon.

• Stayed: June 2005
28  Thank RCK09
Reviewed August 11, 2005

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Halcyon from July 18-25. In fact, I'd say about 75% of the couples there were also on their honeymoons. We had an absolutely great time. Because it was our honeymoon, we researched our trip for months and finally decided on the Halcyon, and we were so glad we did. We heard conflicting advice (mainly on this website) about the resort, but we decided to go ahead and book anyway. The Halcyon is the smallest of the three Sandals resorts in St. Lucia, but we wanted a small resort, it seemed more quiet and private. We thought the grounds were beautiful, they are covered with colorful flowers, and everything is well maintained. We stayed in a beach front concierge room, and we were so glad we did. We had a great view and the concierge was very helpful--she got us in to the restaurants we wanted, and also had our in-room bar filled with anything we wanted. The only bad part about our room was that it was right in front of the wedding gazebo, and we were often woken up by loud music playing, which turned about to be the music for couples getting married--but it was over quick. There are also loud insects and frogs that make noise all night long, but after the second or third night, we were pretty used to it. As far as the food, we thought it was good--not great, good. If you are going to Sandals for great food, you should go somewhere else. We ate at all the restaurants at the Halcyon, and Mario's was our favorite--we went there twice. The Pier is really nothing special, but the view was quite nice. We ate at several other restaurants at the other two Sandals, and had good meals there too--try Kimono's--make sure you make reservations for it. We had a good time each day laying by the pool and having drinks from the swim up bar. The beach isn't great, but we did spend some time in the ocean and did some watersports--go tubing, so much fun! There are a few annoying beach vendors on the beach, but they were polite and not too bothersome. Overall, we had a great time in St. Lucia and at the Halcyon, and we were sad to leave. It is a beautiful resort, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely go back, and are also looking forward to trying some of the other Sandals resorts.

10  Thank ohiotravelers16
Cheltenham, UK
Reviewed August 3, 2005

Having read many reviews of the Halcyon before we went to St Lucia, I did not know what to expect.
All I can say, is that our holiday was perfect and we enjoyed every minute of it. We found the Halcyon an oasis of peacefull charm with wonderfull gardens and excelent and very attentive staff. We visited the other Sandals resorts close by to eat at the many excellent restaurants but were always pleased to get back to the Halcyon where the pace of life seemed so much more relaxed.
If you can, take the helicopter to and from the international airport instead of the mini bus. It only takes ten minutes rather than the 90 minutes in the bus.
So if you want peace and quiet with excellent service and food then the Halcyon is the one to choose. We will certainly be back.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
canton, ohio
Reviewed July 31, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Halcyon for our honeymoon. We started out on the other side of St. Lucia (Atlantic side) at Coconut Bay Resort and transferred to the the Carribean side (Sandals resort) after two days.

Our honeymoon at Sandals:
One great thing we enjoyed was getting to go to all three Sandals resorts for the activites, pools, food, and beaches. The Halcyon is the smalles and most layed back of the three. We spent many days and nights at our resort (Halcyon). If your looking for something thats not too crowded but still has things to do and good food, then Halcyon is great. There were days that we went to the other Sandals properties, which is only a 10-15 minute free shuttle away. We liked having the option of what we would like to do for the day or evening.

The Beach
The beach at Halcyon is okay. Not blue-but okay- just like swimming in a lake with a nice view. Its not crowded and there were only a few other couples around. Not good for snorkeling!
The Sandals Grand beach is the best! Teal blue and clear! Great for snorkeling! The only downfall the this beach is there are more people around. Not too crowded but definately more people around. There are watersports at all the beaches however, the Grand- you will wait in line to do it- the Halcyon, we were on the catamarans in less than a minute! We did not go to the Regency beach but at night it looked nice and there were nice places to eat and enjoy yourself.

The Food
The food at the Halcyon was good. Not poor but not excellent! However, we didnt go without a meal! We ate constantly!! The grill, buffet and dinner restaurants (The Pier, and Mario's) were all good. I enjoyed The Pier b/c of its view! Suggestions- book reservations for The Pier ASAP! Marios is good and does not require reservations. It was also nice to visit the other restaurants at the other Sandal resorts. There are many places to eat if you do not want to make a reservation.

The service was great. People were always willing to help, if needed and answer questions as well as ask you about your day. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.

Entertainment
There was always something going on at our resort and the other two as well. They provided a schedule of weekly entertainement along with times. The music, bands, and different entertainment was very nice! Activities began early in the morning and went til late night hours. Example, pool volleyball, couples games/contests, casino night, bands etc.. However, being alone and enjoying peace and quiet was always an option as well.

Rooms
We had a garden view room. The rooms are not very big or luxurious- but average. A bed (comfortable), a desk and chair, and then a private bath with a tub/shower. A large closet for clothes along with two dressers. At night the bugs (gnats) were noisy and some would get in our vented bathroom window- advice- put an extra bed pillow in the window- the rest of the week- no problem! Every room at the resort is close to everything b/c of the resort being small. The rooms closest to the ocean were nice too but the "beach vendor" would bother the guests to and from their rooms at night. We were happy with our garden view room.

Beach Vendors
There were several occasions where we were approached by vendors- day and night. They were friendly and by saying no thank you- they left you alone- until the next day or so.. harmless and friendly but somewhat annoying...

Overall
We had a great time and enjoyed our honeymoon. We would definately come back to the Sandals resorts! We were sad to leave such a beautiful place. The only downfall was loosing our luggage on the way home. Stay away from US Airways!!!!

Big T and RBC

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

My wife and I visited Sandals Halcyon in May, 2005 and here are our experiences.

First off, if you have seen a Sandals Brochure or their website, ignore all the pictures. If you get that out of your head right now, you won't be disappointed. All the photos appear to present these gorgeous white beaches. St Lucia is mostly a rocky island and the sand on the beaches are your typical sandy brown beaches. Overall, we had a good time so here are the pros and cons.

Some of the good things. We picked St Lucia because we wanted to pick an island that was relatively safe and not as crowded as the more famous Caribbean destinations. Sandals Halcyon is all-inclusive which is a really great thing if you are into that. It's also a couples only resort so you won't see kids running around. It's billed as a luxury all-inclusive so extras like snorkeling, scuba diving and I think golf are included. I'm a avid scuba diver so that was a major plus.
When you arrive, the staff greet you with "Welcome Home". You are presented with a glass of champagne or juice, welcome packet and a cool wet towel. You sit by the front office in the shade and they bring you all the forms to sign and take care of your bags. So far very nice. The staff is very friendly and very polite. One of the most friendly places we've been to.
Now the caveats...The rooms were so-so. Not terrible but not luxurious either. The rooms were small or medium sized. Enough for a large bed, dresser and desk but not like any of the luxury spa resorts we've been to in the Mayan Riviera. (Aventura Spa Palace was great for example). The bathrooms were plain. Everything was clean. It just was a bit disappointing since it seemed a little older. Supposedly we were in the recently remodelled rooms so unsure what they looked like before. WARNING. When we were there, EVERY night these insects would make these cricket-like noises all night. I walked around the resort in case it was just in our area but it's all over. My wife and I are heavy sleepers so it was fine but I can see that ruining other people's vacations.
Halycon is the smallest of the 3 Sandals resorts on the island and it doesn't make much effort to walk around the whole thing. but you can tell that the resort is a bit small. You can take daily shuttles to the other 2 resorts so that is a big plus. We were only there 3 days so we did not visit the other resorts but that could make up for some things.
There are two pools. The main one is more fun but noisy. They also have a quiet pool in the back. No music, just sunbathing and relaxing but both have swim up bars.
The food was decent. What you would expect from all inclusive. We only went to the Pier which is a reservation only restaurant at Halcyon. Totally overrated and the food was so-so at best. We didn't try the other ones on the other resorts. My wife and I thought the BBQ station was the best. Wings, burgers, ribs, nachos, etc! We recommend making restaurant reservations with the concierge ASAP. If you are only staying there a short time and over a weekend, I'd even consider making a reservation before you land. They get booked up quick. As I said, the Pier was not impressive but I assume everyone has to try it anyways. Its free so why not? Just don't be too bummed if you can't.
There are "official" local merchants that set up around the main pool area. Not pushy and generally friendly. However, there are also locals that wander around the beaches trying to sell local arts and crafts. They are a bit annoying but not threatening. One strange thing. They don't seem to sell directly to women and always target the men in the couple. If the "man" is not around, will come back later. I don't know if that is a cultural thing or a safety thing but they didn't bother my wife when she was alone but always tried to talk to me, shake my hand, show me their wares, etc. They specifically asked my wife when her husband was coming back so they could show him some nice things.
One other piece of advice. There are two airports in St. Lucia. The main
one (Hewanorra) is about 1.5+ hours from Halcyon. The only way is to drive through a narrow windy two lane road through the island. This is the main airport. There is a smaller one in Castries that is about 20 mins from Halcyon but its a very small airport. If you have to fly to Hewanorra, bring water for the trip to the resort. Its long.
Overall, its a decent resort where you can relax and enjoy yourself. The staff is very friendly. The rooms and food are so-so but still can enjoy the beach and the pool and have a great vacation. Its all-inclusive and couples-only so that has a lot going for it and we strongly recommend taking advantage of the snorkeling and scuba. You do get to visit all 3 resorts so it is like getting more for your money and Sandals is not cheap.
It doesn't seem like a place to go for big nightlife and partying, but a good place to go and relax. We'd probably not go back to St Lucia soon just because there are many other places we haven't seen yet and the resort was not compelling enough to be "must visit again" place and we'd try one of the two other resorts.

• Stayed: May 2005
36  Thank gnasty71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
#4 of 12 in Castries
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!