“Lovely, but not perfect!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“Lovely, but not perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

It's probably not a surprise that this was our honeymoon! The room was good, big bed, clean sheets and plenty of clean towels! The bathroom had chipped tiles and the bath was stained, as was the mat in the bedroom (not exactly what I was expecting)!
The food was good, but service didn't excel and there seemed to be delays!
PLEASE sort out making tea for British people, I don't want a cup of water and a tea bag you immediately try and pour the milk in! I want a tea pot and a pot of milk and to be left alone!! You can do it for breakfast, so why screw up at dinner??
I found 'the two people in love' a bit nauseating and preferred to avoid group activities!
Other than that it was a wonderful honeymoon, we both enjoyed!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jennifer D
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach. It's wonderful that you enjoyed your honeymoon trip to St. Lucia and enjoyed exploring a bit of St. Lucia together. Still, there seem to be a few aspects of our service that are in need of some improvement. Your suggestions will be shared with the resort management team for further review and we appreciate the time and effort taken to provide them. Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a much better stay that will definitely exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
  • Slovak first
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Staff is amazing. Friendly faces everywhere! Was worth every penny! We upgraded to the CLUB level! WORTH IT! Lots of things to do on the resort. Rooms were beautiful and clean. The view was like Paradise. I can't say enough!! Drivingmebatty says it all very nicely. My only disappointment was the water wasn't as blue as the pictures, but it was very clear and still pretty. I had such a wonderful, carefree and relaxing week.

Room Tip: we paid extra to have a room on the beach. WORTH IT. Love hearing the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank tym4him
Denham Springs, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Sandals Resorts are the best way we have found to see it all, have a variety of places to eat, multiple excursions, relaxing pools and beautiful views just to name a few. The staff at the resorts are very accommodating and polite. We highly recommending this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zeke N C
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I decided to go to the Caribbean on our 25th Anniversary. After ALOT of research, we chose Sandals Halycon. We never did an all inclusive vacation so we decided to give it a whirl. From the moment we landed, Sandals took care of us.
The Halycon is smaller and more quaint. Definitely a chance to revive the romance spark. The staff went out of their way to make you feel very comfortable and you will be greeted by everyone....even the gentlemen doing the landscaping. You become familiar with the staff because you will see them so often doing many different tasks.
The food at Bayside was very good. It was buffet style so you had a multiple choices for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Everything was delicious and never had a bad meal. The restaurants we tried were Mario's, La Toc (Sandals La Toc), and Kimino's. They were all excellent and we were willing to try things we've never would of eaten at home.
They had many different water activities, but we only chose to kayak to Rat Island which is located just off shore. It was worth the paddling, but a lot of hard work. Every evening they had entertainment whether it was someone singing or dancing. The bar was the hot spot after hours, and quite enjoyable. The bartenders are great and I'm sure they don't get paid enough for what they do. Two drinks I recommend is the BBC and Bob Marley. The Dirty Banana was delicious too. We only had one issue with our clock time, and it was resolved instantly by the staff. Leaving the resort was done smoothly and had no issues.
If you want a more quaint, romantic Sandals experience on St. Lucia then I would recommend this resort. It's smaller and all on one level so there's no climbing up mountain sides or a hundred stairs just to get to the second floor. The Grande was a resort that was more for the younger/active crowd and to us looked way to busy. La Toc was beautiful, but there was a lot of people as well.

Things I want to point out:

1. If you get very car sick then beware. The trip from the airport to the resort is very, very, very curvy/windy. Coming into the resort, we had a very fast driver and I was feeling nauseated by the time we got there and I never get car sick (which tells you something). You may need to take Dramamine before you get on the shuttle and skip the drinks they offer when you step into the waiting area at the airport. Going back we had a slower driver and more traffic so it helped and I was fine.

2. Cats. Yes, there are cats on the property, but we never had an issue with them. You will see them hanging around the Bayside restaurant and every now and then wonder through quickly. The staff shoos them away immediately so don't be surprised. These are not "petting" cats. They are feral, but do know where food could come from.

3. Waiting for dinner. Do not go into the restaurants with the expectation that you will get quick, hovering service like you can in the US. Give yourself plenty of time for meals because they are done at a slower pace. They give time for food to digest before diving into the next course. So there's no point getting impatient...you're there to enjoy the experience.

4. Bugs. I guess me and my husband were fortunate and only got bit by a few mosquitos but not a lot. Even eating outside we never saw any bugs flying around us. But, I would still recommend taking bug spray.

5. Vendors on the beach. When we were there, there were a couple but they hung out on the beach right next to the main pool area. Yea, they would ask if you wanted something, but a simple "No Thank you" was usually enough. After a few times on different occasions, they didn't ask us again. If you really want to avoid them, then stay away from the beach area right next to the main pool. Other than that, they were not pushy (to us at least).

6. I guess the one thing I wish Sandals did was do some sort of tour that didn't involve us getting in the mud baths, hiking or anything like that. Maybe more of a "picture" tour for people who just want to see the island, take a lot of pictures and that's all. We priced a taxi that would take us to the pitons and Marigot Bay and it would of cost us $200. They do offer tours through Island Routes and it does help the economy, but those tours are more if you want the "adventure". My husband thought they looked interesting, but I'm not that kind of person. I rather show up somewhere and takes pictures and call it a day.

7. Make sure you know what kind of outfit is needed for the restaurants. Men, bring a pair of slacks. If you're not sure what to wear then make sure to read the flier they have available everyday (either given to your room or on the check out desk). It tells you specifically what to wear. If you show up at Mario's in shorts...they will make you put on slacks. We've seen it happen numerous times. Actually, to be on the safe side....wear slacks at all meals with the exception of The Bayside.

8. The Sunset pool (? I think that was the name) near the Honeymoon village is more quiet. You have a poolside bar/snacks and the bartenders were great and fun. The main pool is a little more busier with the restaurant and constant flow of people walking around. It's a matter of choice if you want a livelier pool or a more intimate pool and quieter.

9. The sun will burn you. Shocking, huh!? Yes, if you stay at the beach/pool all day, you will get sun burned. Amazing that people you would think had some sort of intelligence seem to forget that. We can not count the many people walking around the resort like Frankenstein because they can't move and act shocked that the sun actually burned them. Enjoy the sun, but in smaller quantities....the shade is quite nice with a BBC. Also, sunscreen is your skin's friend.

10. Last thing is shuttle service. It does not run in circles around the clock. There is a shuttle schedule, be sure to grab one. It goes to each resort in one direction at a time (or close to every hour). Make sure you plan what time to leave and get back. Don't worry if the first shuttle that comes through is crowded because there's more than one shuttle.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms near the water sports area tended to be more quiet. We didn't have the noise o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Drivingmebatty
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

What can I say about this place other than it was worth every penny, we stayed for 10 days for our friends wedding as a group of ten. Very friendly staff and the service from arriving to leaving was second to none, everywhere we ate was top notch and we didn't have one bad meal the whole stay.
The rooms are fantastic, extremely comfortable and clean. We never had a problem getting a lounger by the pool, this is not like a package holiday, this is Sandals and people aren't in a rush to get up! Towels are provided and the loungers are very good quality.
There are two pools, one has music on through the day and other activities, the other one, the Paradise pool is quiet and laid back, you can swim up for a drink or wait for the bar staff to take and fetch your order (it's a hard life).
Take advantage of the other two hotels as they also have great restaurants, it feels surreal that you drive somewhere for fifteen minutes and eat superb food and then don't pay!!!!
We loved all the restaurants at the Halcyon, Mario's & Kelly's being our favourites. Breakfast was superb with a huge choice, worth getting up for.
The wedding was superb and the setting is breath-taking at the side of the beach. Would definitely do another Sandals holiday after this experience, loved every minute of it and can't wait to do another one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Minesaguinness
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I write this review both as a traveler and a 30 year travel/tourism/hospitality professional. This trip was for our honeymoon and it was almost perfect. Let me start by saying I was astounded by the wonderful hospitality by the entire staff. Special mention to Crystal and Fauve (Concierges) and Chris our butler for the candlelight dinner. Sandals marketing does not do them justice. While it makes sure you know its all inclusive it does not demonstrate the companies dedication to exceeding the clients expectations. Going there I thought it would be like the Carnival Cruise of all inclusive resorts. Don't get me wrong I really like Carnival and have sailed on them several times. Instead between the amazing food and service it was much better. We visited all three properties and that is a great feature. The Grand has the best beach and a Vegas look and vibe while the Halcyon has a more intimate and romantic flair with the best service of the three.

The one problem which I hope and believe the management will address is the mosquito issue. Having traveled and worked in the Caribbean I am well aware to expect this but this was bad. The beds have four posts so perhaps they could make netting optional or just put a program together to reduce the mosquito problem. It can effect your stay and should not be a topic of discussion among the guests. Fix this and this place is a gem. I am coming back next year on the "Come Back Soon" Program" and will report the progress on this and hope my title will change to "Perfect"

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
9 Thank StoshJavert
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon. The resort is very nice with great customer service. In particular the kitchen was very accommodating to my dietary needs such as coeliac disease and lactose intolerance. Gluten and diary free pancakes made in the morning and even french toast! I've never had french toast made for me so it was a complete delight. Enough restaurants for a weeks stay but not enough for longer than that. Although if staying here you do get access to the neighbouring 2 sandals resorts which have more dining options. We didn't do this due to being shattered pretty much every night. The room was perfect with a nice patio outside overlooking landscaped gardens leading to the beach. The beach was nice but being public it's also where you get accosted by locals selling things and asking for beer from the inclusive bar. This isn't much fun as the locals are pretty persuasive which by the end of the honeymoon was deterrent to going out on the beach, choosing instead to stay by the pool. The pools are great with swim up bars and regular pool volleyball which was good fun every afternoon. In the evening their was regular activities to join in with. Most evenings my wife and retreated to the fire pits along the coast line with a nice glass of wine.

A great honeymoon and a great place. The only downside was the lack of restaurants. Future holidays would require a larger resort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jjclarke101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!