Halcyon Beach is perfect for people who want to indulge in the all inclusive Sandals experience but don't necessarily want the reggae thumping watchtowers bawling out when the volleyball is going to be on. Don't get me wrong there is a smaller version of this by the main pool but having visited the Grande and La Toc there is no doubt this is a more peaceful location.
We were fortunate to stay in the 500 block close to the quieter Honeymoon hideaway pool but not right next to the noisy road which the 700 and 800 block are. The room was modern and comfortable with a four poster bed, well appointed bathroom, cable TV and an iPhone docking alarm with speakers.
The food on the whole is excellent. Many don't like the buffet style but the breakfasts there were fantastic with the choice to have freshly cooked eggs, healthy breakfasts and the usual American style overcooked bacon. The evening eateries are American friendly versions of Italian, steakhouse and Japanese. Kimonos is certainly fun to try even if the Caribbean style of cooking teppanyaki is far from authentic. Kellys Dockside is the big draw with it's pierside location. It's a cavernous steakhouse with pleasant fillet mignon and fish dishes where you choose your own sauces and veg. Mario's is a very friendly if somewhat underwhelming Italian pasta and pizza place with a very pleasant antipasto buffet.
There are a lot of friendly and greedy cats all over the premises. Each has their own territory. One in particular likes the Beachside grill and we nicknamed "Fast Food Kitty". The fast food there is perfectly passable if not particularly memorable.
It is certainly worthwhile to go to the other two resorts. We went to the Caribbean street party at La Toc which was good fun. Certainly worth walking up to the Sunset bluff to see the sun set. Also the Grande is more of a young party place and the beach there is probably the best. You can also rent kayaks and other watersports equipment and we went snorkelling for free which was great fun.
There is no doubt that Sandals is marketed predominantly to the American visitor and we were very much a minority in not being American. This means that service is friendly and good and it's all about the cocktails which will suit a lot of people. It is also a bubble and not the real St Lucia and most visitors should at least try and get out and see the wonderful scenery even if it is to go on a zipline through the rainforest.
However if you want a relaxing and stress free break especially for a honeymoon then this is a great place to come and we enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TravelUp, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries