“No bubbles no Troubles”

and 1 more site!
Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were staying at Sandals Grande, but had the great opportunity to visit Halcyon three nights for dinner. We had two incredible meals at Kelly’s Dockside, with probably the best steak in the Caribbean.Our service for both nights was fantastic, Selena ensuring that our table was ready upon on our arrival, then Dwight (?) always ensuring our glasses were full.
We also, had Sushi on two nights, one for a complete dinner and the second for our appetizers. Subrena and Nelson were fantastic in their knowledge of their dishes as well as the preparation of the food. They were more than happy to provide some extras of our favourites. Davis, “Mr No Bubbles no Troubles” was an incredible server. He kept us laughing and ensured that everything around us was meeting our expectation.
We are not sure if we would stay at this resort for the entire week as we really like the beach at Grande. We definitely will return for some incredible experiences of dining.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hatewinter14
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hello Hatewinter14,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visits to Sandals Halcyon Beach. The resort exchange plan provides a great opportunity to see each property and sample a bit of all their offerings. We are pleased that you had a fantastic time getting to know some of our staff and returned with such wonderfully warm memories of your time spent with them. We hope that you will visit with us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,932)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I spent months trying to pick an all-inclusive resort for my honeymoon in October 2013. I read what felt like millions of reviews on TripAdvisor and finally decided that Sandals Halcyon Beach had everything that my husband and I were looking for in a honeymoon. Unfortunately, we left Saint Lucia feeling disappointed with the quality of the resort that we got for the amount of money we spent.

The first thing that you need to understand about the Halcyon is that it sits directly off a very busy main road right outside of Castries, the largest city of St. Lucia. You pass through the main gates and Bam! you're in the front lobby. Since the resort is very small, the sound of traffic is always present. There obviously is nothing that the resort can do to change this, but I feel that it is an important aspect to note before booking. During our stay, I would often forget about the road and trick myself into thinking that the resort was in the middle of nowhere (which is easy to do due to all of the beautiful tropical plants that are abundant on the property), only to be awakened to the sound of ambulance sirens.

After checking in, we were walked to our room. I immediately knew that we were not being taken to the room I had originally booked. I remembered reading reviews on TripAdvisor about the Halcyon's tendency to "upgrade" your room and the same ended up being true in our case. I had booked what is now referred to as a Beachfront Luxury Walkout Club Level Room based completely on its location on the property (tucked away in a corner at the end of the resort looking out onto the beach - nice and quiet). Come to find out, the Halcyon had "upgraded" us to a Beachfront Grande Luxe Walkout Club Level Room right next to the loud pool. At no point in time before arriving or even during the check-in process was this mentioned to us. I called and spoke to a gentleman at the Concierge desk who said that we would not be able to change rooms until the next morning. We withheld from unpacking our bags that evening and went up to the Concierge desk the next morning when instructed to start the room change process. We were told the room was not ready and to return later. We returned two more times before actually being able to start the process of changing rooms. When all was said and done, the whole process of getting our correct room took up 4 hours of our day on the first true day of our honeymoon. Although it was frustrating, the room change was well worth it. As others have said, staying down towards the watersports building is the way to go if you are looking for peace and quiet with little foot traffic.

Now, as for the rooms themselves. Neither of the rooms that we stayed in were up to par, though the room that we booked was much, much better than the room they tried to "upgrade" us to. The absolute worst part of the rooms were the bathrooms. Think Motel 6. It was honestly that bad. They are horribly outdated and cramped, and the staining on the tiles and bathtub makes the whole room feel dirty. This definitely was not what I expected for the amount of money that we paid per night. I have read that some of the lower category rooms have had bathroom renovations. If it hadn't been for the great location of our room, we may have asked to be downgraded to one of the lower category rooms.

A few more negatives before some positives:
-I wouldn't recommend booking a room just to get the Concierge package. We found the concierge staff to be somewhat rude and pretty unhelpful.
-There was constant construction going on during our stay. It's a little annoying to have power tools running in the background while you are trying to enjoy your afternoon lounging by the quiet pool. The resort is pretty tired and is definitely in need of a major update, but I think that this could better be accomplished by shutting down for a week in order to get everything taken care of at once (I know that this isn't ideal for a business financially, but losing guests due to your resort's lackluster appearance isn't ideal either).
-The shuttle that runs between the three Sandals resorts is never, ever on time, which can be pretty annoying when trying to make it to dinner at another resort, particularly if you have a reservation. We finally gave up trying to leave and just stayed at the Halcyon for the remainder of our trip.

Now on to some positives. The resort has few guests, which makes it easy to get chairs by the pool or seats at dinner. We were also able to get to know many staff members, including some really amazing bartenders (speaking of bartenders, have one make you a BBC...they are absolutely fantastic!), as well as many of the other guests. The resort is relatively quiet and definitely isn't full of crazy party people, which we really liked. Mario's was delicious. We ended up eating here 3 of our 8 nights. The antipasti bar is so yummy!

My main problem with our stay was that I did not feel like we got what we paid for. We spent quite a bit of money on this trip in the name of it being our honeymoon, but did not find the condition of the resort or rooms to be worth the big price tag. We went to another all-inclusive resort over Christmas and paid less than half of the price of our honeymoon for a trip of the same length. Our Christmas resort was much nicer - the food was better, our rooms were large and updated, and the resort was well taken care of. I think that the Halcyon is counting on the Sandals name to warrant a higher price tag than it is actually worth.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lindsay K
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your review. We were sorely disappointed to hear that your honeymoon stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach was not as expected. We realize that this is an extra-special trip for you and we apologize if you we were unable to meet all of your expectations. We truly appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns and I will be forwarding your remarks to the resort management team for immediate evaluation. Your input is invaluable, as it helps to target areas that we can improve upon and I assure you we take your concerns seriously.
Hopefully, we can welcome you back for a much better experience in the future.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Sandals Halcyon and absolutely loved it!!! The resort was in perfect shape, the grounds were beautiful and the rooms updated and well kept. The food was great, especially the steak at Kelly's dockside and we really enjoyed the Japanese steak house as well. My only complaint is the beach, the waters weren't crystal clear like I had envisioned. However, we used the free shuttle and visited the two other Sandals resorts and the beaches were wonderful there. So at Halcyon we spent most of our time at the pool but didn't mind, it was very relaxing! And after a couple days the bartender would have our drinks ready whenever we walked up. We also went to another Sandals Resort for a couples massage which was one of the best massage's I've ever had. We thought all the sandals resorts we visited were nice but we are very glad we chose to stay at the Halcyon, although it was the smallest of the three resorts it was the least commercialized, the staff was wonderful, and the other guests we met there were great and very friendly. We cannot wait to go back!! That was our first all-inclusive and we will never go on any other unless it's a Sandals because it was such a wonderful experience!

Oh on a side note- when we arrived at the airport a bunch of locals ran up to us asking to take our bags, we thought they worked for the resort but they didn't. We ended up having to give them a $20 tip (because that's all we had) to literally move our bags around the corner to the Sandals check in area, definitely not falling for that again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Elyse!

Your honeymoon stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach sounds like it was a lovely experience! We are so happy that you chose our resort and that it suited your needs perfectly. The charming, peaceful atmosphere is wonderful for a romantic getaway and we are delighted that you had a fantastic time relaxing together. We look forward to welcoming you to one of our gorgeous properties in the near future!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I do not have enough good things to say. No complaints. No Worries.
This was the perfect, quiet resort for us. Nothing was too far away from our room which was set with a view of the garden, paths, the ocean was within view and the windows open at night provided soft rhythm of the waves.
The staff was polite and accomidating. Even though they said that the resort was booked to full capacity, we never waited to be seated at any meal (made reservations for Kimonos but no other). It never seemed crowded and offered plenty of quiet and privacy. The sunsets are stunning.
Maverick welcomed us to the resort, took our bags and led us to our room. Such a smile and so kind!
We have stellar pictures from Snap Shots. Dino was our photographer and was amazingly patient with us being sure to capture excellent shots in a variety of locations. We had a lot of fun during our shoot.
I am a massage therapist, so it only made sense to book one. Dawn, from Red Lane was amazing! She worked in the garden where she maintained my privacy allowing me to drift off listening to the sound of a brief rain shower, the ocean, the song of paradise. I have never had an outdoor massage. I cannot thank Dawn enough for giving me such a wonderful start to my vacation!
There was plenty to keep us occupied as a couple, we played pool and lawn chess and took a kayak out. We took 2 tours.
All in all. The perfect trip. Exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had such an incredible time, we never wanted to leave. This resort is fantastic if you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway with the option to party it up at the livelier resorts, which is exactly what we wanted. During the day there were plenty of beach chairs, poolside seats, sometimes you could be the only one on the beach for a while. At night there are fire pits and cabanas, this resort truly is geared for the perfect romantic trip. My fiance surprised me by having one of the incredible photographers catch the proposal at sunset right on the beach, it couldn't have been more perfect. They did have nighttime activities, a great reggae show, dancing, but the bars and entertainment clear out early so if you're looking to party hard, you need to go to one of the sister resorts. They do have shuttles that run very often, so it's easy to do. Coming from San Francisco, we did feel the food was a bit prepackaged, but we loved Mario's and the buffet always had something to offer. The staff was friendly, the locals were considerate and welcoming, and the concierge was understanding when we needed to change one of our tours around.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms were a bit cheaper and personally I liked them much more than the beachside ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our Honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon Beach was perfect!!! The hotel itself was clean and beautiful, the food was AMAZING, the beach itself is glorious, but the staff made this holiday for us. They could not have been friendlier and more welcoming. I long to return and would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: There are many beach view rooms, but the whole area is beautiful to view. This is one of the smaller...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at Sandals Halcyon Beach in St Lucia Feb 28 to March 8th. We met up with 6 of our friends from Canada. The resort was so accommodating and they were able to get us rooms all in the same building which was so convenient. Room 613 had a beautiful view of the paradise pool. From our first moment in the Sandals Club (which smelled so amazing with lemongrass oil) with Melissa and Che, we were treated like royalty. We were treated to cool washcloths and rum punch. How perfect to start a vacation! From then on, it was smooth sailing. We ate the most amazing food. It was always changing so need to worry about having to eat the same thing everyday. We ate at Kelly's Dockside several nights and we were impressed with the quality of food and service. The beverages were plentiful and easy to get. We can't say enough about the staff we got to know over the week. They were so nice to interact with. We have to give a big thank you to Wayne for helping us get our luggage to the airport and us to the helicopter terminal on the way out. Crystal was an amazing to sit with at the managers dinner. Kermany took some beautiful pictures to help us remember our vacation. Neilan, Michael, Viana, Chrisann and Junior kept us entertained and laughing. Agnes never forgot a name or a drink and made an amazing Tom Collins! Maverick was always there with a smile and so helpful. Dolores and Amanda kept the cookies coming for Sean. Martha always found a spot for us at the Beach bistro. . Best of luck to Caroline on her internship. We love going to all inclusive resorts and this was by far one of our favorites. Not too commercial but not so small that you couldn't find some thing to keep you occupied. We would go back to this resort in an instant and would highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 15 in Gros Islet

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!