We stayed for 10 nights at the Halcyon Beach resort, and from the moment we got off the plane the service was excellent. We were greeted by a friendly concierge who took our bags through to the waiting lounge at the airport, where we were offered cool refreshments while we waited for the free transfer. We only had to wait for about 10 minutes before the bus arrived to take us to the Halcyon, an interesting journey across the island which took about 1 hour 20 minutes. Upon arrival at the Halcyon we were offered champagne or a rum punch (go for the rum punch, it is excellent!) while our bags were collected and then we were shown to our room. We had a Caribbean Luxury room situated on the first floor with wonderful views over the gardens and views of the beach. We were close to the beach bar, which served excellent snacks/sandwiches during the day. All four restaurants (beach bar, Kelly's, Bayside and Mario's) offered excellent food, although Mario's was definitely our favourite (serves good Italian fare). The house wine on offer was also good – we didn't bother choosing from the wine list as the free wine was enough for us!
The sunset pool was the busiest place during the day with games and competitions taking place – not really our thing but if you like activities then it looked like fun. There are pool tables available too – perfect for a holiday tournament! We enjoyed the quieter paradise pool which has a swim up bar (as does the sunset) with great service from Agnes. The beach is also nice, although the water isn't as clear as I expected but this is owing to two rivers that feed into the sea and a massive storm over the Christmas period. It is cleaned every morning with plenty of sun loungers.
We took advantage of the Stay at One, Play at Three offer which was a real selling point for us – it was nice to be able the visit the Grande St Lucian and La Toc and experience the different atmospheres at both. We preferred the Grande to La Toc – the beach was excellent and it wasn't quite as busy. However, the quiet pool doesn't have a bar which was a shame, although the main bar isn't too far of a walk. The Barefoot on the Beach restaurant here was good – we didn't try any others. La Toc was ok, excellent facilities but not our kind of resort – lots of games/activities/dancing by the pool. However the red flag was up most of the time so no watersports could be done here. Neptunes was good for food.
During our stay at Halcyon we went on the Super Snorkel trip which was US$50 per person and great value – we sailed to Marigot Bay and Soufriere, saw the Pitons, snorkelled for an hour in a beautiful bay with plenty of fish and coral to see, had a BBQ on the beach and then sailed back with plenty of refreshments on board (both alcoholic and non). In total the trip was about 6 hours and a great way to spend the day. We also took out a kayak from the watersports centre and visited the deserted island which was good fun. Another worthwhile trip is to the local market in Castries – we took a taxi from the resort which cost US$30 return. We spent two hours here which is probably all you need (closes at 1pm Saturdays).
Overall the facilities were great – our room was large with a very clean bathroom and nice balcony to sit out on, and the staff changed our bed every day and also provided a turn down service each night. The mini bar was regularly restocked and the staff couldn't have done more to help us have a perfect honeymoon. I would definitely recommend the Halcyon as the perfect relaxing destination for any couple.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries