“Perfect Honeymoon ay Halcyon!!”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
A TripAdvisor Member
“Perfect Honeymoon ay Halcyon!!”
Reviewed May 4, 2004

My husband and I honeymooned at Sandal's Halcyon this past October. We had the best time!! The grounds are immaculate and the views are incredible. We stayed in the Honeymoon Concierge Suite. The rooms were beautifully decorated and included a four poster bed, full mini-bar (that was restocked every day)seperate bathroom area/changing area, sofa/sitting area, large closet, desk and TV station. Our room also had a ground level terrace that overlooked the water. On the terrace were 2 chairs and a table....perfect for relaxing in the evening with a cocktail. There are 2 pool areas that are both kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and they all went out of their way to assure that my husband and I had everything we needed. The Pier restaurant was wonderful..great food and atmosphere. We also dined at the Italian Restaurant and the pool side restaurant....they were all delicious. I would highly recommend Halcyon to anyone who is looking for a relaxed vacation with immpecable accomodations and a super friendly staff. I know we will definately be going back soon !! Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Slovak first
PA
Reviewed April 22, 2004

We spent a great deal of money on this vacation that was supposed to be a wonderful anniversary. The trip was a total disaster! The ride from the airport to the Sandals Halcyon was an experience in terror. It took over an hour and we were stuffed in an old van with a dangerous driver. The hotel was supposed to be a 5 star resort and a 1 star resort would be stretching it. The hotel was shabby and run down. The air conditioner in the room did not work. There were bugs in the room and in the bed! The pool was dirty. The sidewalks were cracked and broken. The walkways were not lit. The entertainment was a joke. The food was poor and served in a dirty area with bugs all around. The lounges were broken and the people were rude. We nicknamed the hotel the Hellcyon! Save your money and go to a Hyatt or a Ritz Carlton if you are looking for a 5 star hotel!! This was the big disappointment and a total rip-off. Sandals is a disgrace to the hotel industry. When we were there we talked to several other guests that were also unhappy. We tried to get some of our money back, but they were smug and uncooperative. The only way this hotel could be improved is if they destroyed it and started over again! The bar opens early in the morning and that is when most people started drinking. It was the only way to get through being a captive at the Hellcyon! Sandals should be deeply ashamed of themselves. If you want to rune your Honeymoon or Anniversary than this is the place to go, otherwise steer clear of this island of gloom and the dirty, disgusting Hellcyon! Triple A was equally to blame, as they did not check this hotel out. The only thing we brought back from this trip were scars and a fever from the many bug bites we received in our room. Our anniversary will be marred forever! If you have any doubt about the validity of what I am saying, read some of the other reviews. If you want pictures of this awful hotel, send me an e-mail and I will send you proof! I wish someone would have warned us.

4 Thank Diane H
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 18, 2004

My husband & I went last March to Sandals Hacyon. We were desperate for a quiet vacation, and that is exactly what we found at the Hacylon. We sepnt every morning reading on the beach, nobody bothered us. The days were spent at the pool, and we did take 1 day trip, which I highly recommend. We saw the Pitons, all the little villages, the Sulphur Springs and then a snorkeling / party boat trip. It was fantastic! The Pier restaurant and Mario's was excellent. we had an amazing staff at Mario's. Recommend using the shuttle to the new Sandals Resort - the Grand and eat at the beach side restaurant (cant remember the name). It was so relaxing! The rooms were clean - keep your back door closed though - mosquitos love to come inside! Keep food & flowers out of your room - this goes for any resort and island. Everyone was so friendly, which is a change for us, and we were never, ever hungry. every day we had a great dinner, excellent breakfast and a light lunch - fruit, salads, soups, etc. No sickness problems either. We will go back in a heartbeat!

3 Thank amsweet77
Reviewed April 17, 2004

My husband and I stayed on this property the week of 4/11/04. What a beautiful place. Yes, it is smaller than the other two properties. It is more of a quaint resort while the other provide you with a glamorous hotel feel. Everything is within minutes from your room which provides convenience. The grounds are breathtaking. The beach is small but it was still enjoyable. We used it everyday. The pools were great(well maintained and not cloudy as others had described). Be careful at the beach. When you see alot of seaweed, move!. I was stung by a jellyfish on my leg and arm. Whew! It was painful. The nurse sprayed vinegar on it and it took some of the pain away(neutralizes the sting). The staff was awesome. Yes, there are those who go above and beyond(many) and a minute few who just go through the motions. Isn't that true everywhere?
Dolores and Cecilia are two great ladies. There are so many more who were awesome but I can not remember their names. Estelle, the beach grill, was on vacation. She apparently remembers everyone's name. We missed her! The food was very good. Are you going to find a meal that might disappoint you? Probably. If this sets you off and ruins your vacation....stay home. There is a grill open late at night. If you didn't care for your meal..you can always find something there. I loved Marios (Halcyon), Barefoot by the Sea(Grand) and Kimonos(Regency). The Pier at Halcyon is beautiful but their specialty is fish. If you are not big on fish and will be mad if your dinner is not good...do not eat there. We loved it for the atmosphere so it did not bother us that the food was average. Drinks were great. Try the Banana Lady..I am having withdrawals from not having it.:0) Entertainment was ok. We traveled to the other resorts some nights and they have really good night entertainment. The other resorts are beautiful as well. They are much larger than the Halcyon. It was great to visit them but it was nice to be at home at Halcyon. We went on one island excursion. We visited the banana plantation, walked through the rainforest, and swam under a waterfall. A great tour. The weather was beautiful. It is St. Lucia's dry season so we barely had any rain. It was 85-90 degress and partly/mostly sunny everyday. The clouds provided relief from that hot sun. I had only one issue that I had to deal with...the ride to and from the airport and on my excursion. Well, there is no speed limit enforced in St. Lucia. This is a mountainous island. It is a hairy experience. They pass each other like crazy. It looks like they are going to kill each other. I do not get motion sickness but I did on the ride. Also, if you look to the side of the bus, there is a drop of about 70 ft. So my advice...take a motion sickness pill, enjoy the beautiful scenery of the island and pray. ;0). It was a top notch vacation. My husband and I can not wait to return to this property. It was heaven. Do not take the bad reviews to heart. I can not comment on what they are feeling or thinking. I can however say that I did not find them to be accurate. Enjoy!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2004

We stayed at the Sandals Halcyon Beach for two weeks from 5th March to 19th March 2004. We had a fantastic time and would be digging deep to find something negative to say. We stayed in the basic deluxe room, which we felt was perfectly adequate for us - king size very comfortable bed, plenty of storage space, air con and ceiling fan, decent size bathroom and balcony. The only thing we felt would have been nice was a small fridge to keep some drinks in the room, but then you are only minutes away from a bar wherever your room is on the resort. However, we were put in room 819 to start with, which is very near the road. This proved to be too noisy for Paul who is a very light sleeper. Next morning, we explained the problem and by lunch time we were happily settled in room 619. We would recommend the 600 block as you get a lovely view over the Paradise Pool. We loved the food - buffet breakfast and lunch at the Bayside. Loads of choice, all nicely cooked and the staff were always friendly and welcoming. A la carte in the evening at the Bayside was also very good. Portions were not always huge and don?t depend on the accompaniments being as detailed in the menu, we found it was usually wedge potatoes, carrots and brocolli ! We also had two good meals at The Pier and a really good meal at Marios. Do go on the free shuttle buses and try some of the restaurants at the Grand and the Regency. One restaurant we would definitely say don?t miss is Kimonos at the Regency. The food may not blow you away, but it is worth going just for the entertainment provided while the food is being cooked. We were in stitches. La Toc also at the Regency is also very good, a little more formal, but the food is lovely. One thing to note - if you are a lobster lover, don?t miss the International Buffet held at the Bayside at Halcyon on a Friday night. At some of the restaurants reservations are necessary and we would recommend getting these sorted out as soon as possible if you are only staying for a week. We had no problems in this respect, but we did hear that others weren?t so lucky. We also tried The London Pub and the Bayside for lunch both at the Grand and the Pavillion for lunch and the Pitons both at the Regency. Food was good at them all. The Beach Grill at Halcyon does lovely curly fries and burgers, but we were usually stuffed so didn?t really need to top up. Estelle at the Beach Grill has got the most fantastic memory and after asking you your names once, the next time you see her she will greet you by name. Gooness knows how she does it. The entertainment is okay. To be honest we were usually so tired by the evening that most nights we went to bed by 11 p.m. (How can you get so tired relaxing and eating!) There was however a very good live band on Sunday, limbo on Monday and a singer on Wednesday who were all worth seeing. Cannot really comment on the daytime activities as we didn?t do any of them. Two things we would like to bring to notice - Firstly, don?t under estimate the strength of the sun. We actually had some quite cloudy days while we were there, but even though we were using factor 30 sun cream we still managed to burn, and secondly, if you are interested in plants do go on the nature walk on Thursday at 8.30 a.m. Stephen, one of the nine gardeners at Halcyon takes you round the grounds explaining what the different plants are and how they tend them. Might not be everyone?s cup of tea, but we found it really interesting. We actually only did one excursion, which we would highly recommend. This is the land and sea adventure. You spend half the day in a minibus - air conditioned so don?t worry - going around the tourist spots including the drive in volcano and sulphur springs and then spend the afternoon on a catamaran sailing back up the coast. Wonderful views and a good photo opportunity. Try coconut bread from the old bakery in Anse la Raye - delicious and only $1. You will get a little bit of hassle from the vendors, but usually if you said no thank you they would back off. Kim the guide and Mr V the driver are a mine of information about the island and its history. Do take a travel sickness tablet as the roads are very winding and mountainous. We had booked for a helicopter transfer back to the airport, but this was cancelled the day before, which we were very disappointed about. However, someone who did this said that in reality they only had about 10 minutes in the air. Probably better to do the sightseeing trip, which is only $20 more and you get a good 30 minutes. We did talk to people who had done this trip and they all said it was well worth the money. The staff were all very accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. There was always a ?your welcome?. We do believe you get what you give and so always tried to be polite back and enquire as to how their day was going. Special mentions to Vanessa from Concierge, Winnie and Vernon from the Bell Desk and Cecile, who was usually on the Smoothie Counter at breakfast in the Bayside. All lovely people, who went that little bit extra to make you feel special. Was slightly disappointed in the beach - don?t expect white sand and a calm sea. Also slightly disapointed that this resort is on a VERY busy road, so you couldn?t really go for a stroll. We did walk down to the shops one day, but when crossing the road I literally prayed we would get across in one piece. I don?t think road rules figure very strongly in St Lucia! We booked through Virgin and we feel there are two very postive advantages with this tour operator. One is to be able to book in at the twilight check the night before departure, which means you only have to be at the airport 1 hour before your flight the next day and the other the check in chill out service where your bags are checked in and boarding cards are issued at your hotel, which saves lots of queueing at the airport in St Lucia. This was our first holiday without the children for 19 years and our first outside of Europe. After visiting the Grand and the Regency both during the day and at night, we do not think we would have been disappointed with a holiday at either of these Sandals resorts. We feel, however, that Halcyon Beach was definitely the right choice for us as we wanted a quieter more relaxing holiday, and hope to make a return journey one day.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed April 9, 2004

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Halcyon in February. We
went for 10 nights, 11 days, and I would highly recommend that as a
perfect lenghth of time to spend. There is so much to see and do that I
don't think a week is sufficient time. As soon as we arrived we made
reservations for horse-back riding and the Sunset Cruise. The cruise
was on a Friday night and it was a blast. There are photographers from
the hotel on board and they will take the most beautiful pictures at
sunset. We also booked the Honeymoon photography package and it was the
best decision we made. We now have beautiful pictures of us on the
island that our families and friends have really enjoyed viewing. They
r so vivid, every time we see them, we feel we r back there! The
horse-back riding was great, they did leave us off at a small port,
however, where the locals really push their beaded necklaces and
crafts.
The food was comparable to none, and we spent many breakfasts and dinners at the Bayside. We never had a problem finding chairs or seats by the pool or on the beach. The staff was very friendly- Estelle is the best- she remembers everyones names- however, they r overworked, and have to work long shifts. Noone would accept any tips, the brochure is true to it's word. Although I do suggest tipping the drivers. The trips to and from the airport and between hotels was different to say the least. If you get carsick- beware! Everyone drives crazy there. We enjoyed eating at several of the restaurants at the Regency. Armandos and Latoc, and Marios at the Halcyon were excellent.
The only complaint we had was the night time entertainment at the Halcyon. They play music all night which noone dances to except the staff! I would highly suggest going over to the Regency for better night time entertainment. They provide transportation, but be warned, the last shuttle will leave at 11PM just as things r getting good. My husband and I found ourselves taking cabs back to the Halcyon later at night. This was no big deal and it's fun to go to the other resorts as well. The Regency and the Grande are definately the larger of the resorts, but we really enjoyed the island feel of the Halcyon.
We went snorkeling several times and the guides were very professional and we had a wonderful time- bring your underwater camera! They r way to expensive in the gift shop.
The rooms were very clean and adorable. They r really basically the same, so I don't know if it's really worth it to pay for the upgrade.
Overall, I would suggest booking the adventures you plan to take, Sunset cruise, horse-back riding, etc., the day after u arrive. Also, go directly to the Concierge desk to make dinner reservations, they will also book your dinner reservations at the other resorts, this way u won't have to miss out on any of the dining opportunities. I would also suggest having some pictures taken, as they r really nice to have after u get home. Our honeymoon was everything we hoped it would be and we can't wait to get back to the Halcyon. We highly recommend it, and don't forget to try their terrific mudslides!

2 Thank JerseyMama77
Reviewed April 4, 2004

My Husband and i went with 2 freinds (we are 30)and had a great time.
We were welcomed with champagne and cold towels just what we needed after the journey. The rooms were better than expected, plenty of room, there clean and tidy although the bathroom could be updated. The pools were lovely and there was plenty to do through out the day. The Grand's beach is the best with clearer water and the trampoline in the sea was fun but hard work bouncing on it. The food and staff at the Halcyon were great and were always smiling and laughing. Le Piton resturant at the Grand was great with lovely views. The halyon is small than the others but we liked this as everything was local. We had a good night in the Piano bar and sang songs once we had a few drinks in us then headed for the jacuzzi to relax later on. Titus was a great barman and once he got used to our drinks there was always one lined up. I cant understand how anyone can complain about this restort, it was fun, clean, everyone got on the rooms were lovely and there was always a variety of food. We did not want to leave but all good things must come to an end.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!