“Sandals Holiday”

Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Sandals Holiday”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Sandals Holiday 2013
We had a very restful holiday at Sandals Halcyon Beach, but were somewhat disappointed as it did not quite live up to our expectations of a Super All Inclusive Resort.
The staff were really great and made the holiday for us, for the most part going out of their way to make us feel welcome and make sure we had everything we wanted.
The grounds, although showing their age, are very well maintained except the area around the Paradise Pool which needs a large amount of remedial work and some of the pathways which are uneven. The gardens are glorious, immaculately kept – it is worth having the nature walk with Edward, he really knows his stuff!!
Our room, 306, was rather small for this quality of resort, but has the best air-conditioning unit of any of the hotels we have stayed in the Caribbean, silent and efficient with a silent fan above the bed. The bathroom is also small but the shower was good with constant temperature and flow but the floor and wall tiles are cracked and showing their age. The main room decoration is tired, again with badly repaired flooring and inadequate lighting – trying to find items in the drawer unit after dark was difficult as there is no lighting in the centre of the room, although the room had the most storage space, ie. more draws and shelf space, of any hotel we have visited in the Caribbean.
The buffet breakfast and lunch food at the Bayside Restaurant was nothing special, we have had as good at 3* and 4* hotels in the Caribbean. There is a good variety for breakfast although the fresh fruit selection mainly consists of melons which occasionally were ripe and sweet, banana, pineapple and papaya with the odd grapefruit sadly no mango when we were there, lunch is as good as an evening buffet with salads and a variety of main courses and desserts.
The Bayside in the evening – Friday night is international Buffet which was OK, Monday is Barbeque night, which is not our thing so did not partake, and the rest of the week is French cuisine a la carte which we did not find very good (and although the menu has French titles to the dishes the staff did not understand when ordered in French – as we regularly go to France we do speak reasonable Parisian French, which we found amusing – this was the same at La Toc French restaurant at La Toc, but that is a different story!).
Kelly’s was our favourite restaurant but it seems a waste of an opportunity as it is spectacularly placed as a pavilion in the bay, but is only open in the evening when dark – it would be fantastic to have the odd lunch in there to fully appreciate its position in the daylight.
Marios is the Italian restaurant and reasonable – we enjoyed the meals we had there.
Kimono’s is a show meal – fun and very entertaining, but basically the same main meal cooked as the showpiece and the same dessert. Once is a must, a second visit is fine but after that ????
Soy is a sushi snack bar basically – fabulous if you enjoy sushi and a great experience.
The beach bar is great for all day snacks and burgers, tortilla’s, etc – but is prone to being a little noisy.
One evening took the shuttle to the Grand and had a good meal at Bare Foot on the Beach after the meal we went to the bar near reception for a drink. After ordering our drinks I asked one of the bar man where I could get a coffee he asked me where we were sitting and offered to get a coffee for me which he did. I think this was above the call of duty and would like to thank him for it.
We also went to the Regency La Toc on two occasions. The first time we went to the La Toc French Restaurant with white glove service – shame the staff do not understand their own menu items when ordered in French. We had been advised that this was superb and to order every course as the portions were small. The restaurant although large was quiet intimate. Our meal was revelation as the pre starter was a prawn with lobster mousse, but the prawn was covered with jerk seasoning not a thing a French restaurant would do as they have too much respect for the subtle flavours of lobster and prawn. My next course was scallops I received 2 on my plate, I have always been told you use an odd number of one items on a plate, I could not decide whether this course should have been hot as it was tepid on a cold plate or cold and had been warmed, but they were perfectly cooked. After a long delay our salad arrived which was good but as soon as we finished it the plates were removed and our main course instantly delivered. The duck that both my wife and I had was superb. Having said that we wished to get the 8pm transfer back to Halcyon it took a while to receive the desserts, they arrived at 7.50 pm – we were on the point of leaving! I had a (ONE) fruit crepe but again could not decide if it should have been hot or cold as it was tepid. We did not stay for coffee and liqueurs as we wanted to catch the coach back to Halcyon at 8 pm rather than wait at the Regency till 10 pm. It is a shame there is not a 9pm coach to The Halcyon and The Grand as this would mean you would not have to rush your meal. With White glove service I would expect all courses to be served at the table not pre plated and the table only cleared when all people on that table had finished the current course - it would also be easier for the waiting staff to serve the courses if their gloves fitted.
Our second visit was to Neptune’s where had a very nice fish meal, but again had to rush to get the coach back to Halcyon.
The extra’s on sale at Sandals we found to be extremely expensive – photographs taken by the site photographer were $16 each for the first 9 burned onto CD, or $14 if you purchase 10 or more with digital photographs at next to nothing as they can be wiped from the SD card and CD’s costing pence even taking into account paying for staff, equipment and office/shop front accommodation this is exorbitant. If you purchased wine with your meal rather than having the house wine, a bottle of Zinfandel was $40 – yes I know it all has to be imported but !!!!! We did not take a laptop or other WIFI connective equipment as the WIFI was $14.99 per day or $40+ per week – Why? Even cafe’s have free WIFI.
We enjoyed our stay at our first Sandals but feel there just too many little niggles to make it perfect.

Room Tip: Get a beach view as you are away from the road noise.
3 Thank DaveandGillWeymouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Slovak first
Thorpe le Soken, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

A wondeful, friendly and well recommended resort. Excellent service from -(in my opinion)- amongst the nicest people that I have ever met. Angelo ( manager from Marino's), one of the most genuine of people you will ever come across, your food was belissimo! We wont forget you! Curtis and Everton, dont under-estimate your skills, you are both truly talented.
Our accommodation was very good, and everywhere we turned people were friendly, and seemed to genuinely care that we were happy- nothing was too much trouble for anyone. We relaxed, we played,(thank you 'Sexy Slim' for keeping us active around the pool area), we enjoyed all of the services that were available, and without a doubt I know that we will be back. We loved our time very much and highly recommend this resort. The only slight thing that stops me giving it a 5 star overall rating was the lack of availaibility of room service. But that is only a minor detail. Very romantic, but also very active- its up to you how you want this holiday to be. Hotel managers, you have some excellent staff-you should be very pleased and proud.
Thank you for being part of our holiday.
Dawn and Andrew.

Room Tip: Higher floors have excellent views. Block 3 overlooks the most beautiful trees.
3 Thank Dawn C
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your review, Dawn and Andrew.
It sounds like you had the perfect time at Sandals Halcyon Beach! We do like to provide our guests with tranquil settings and also give them the option to join in on some good fun if they choose! Our staff will appreciate all of your kind remarks and be pleased to know they added to your pleasant holiday experiences and memories.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
craven arms
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We traveled to Sandals Halcyon Beach to celebrate my daughters wedding,together with their best man and bridesmaid who were celebrating their honeymoon,and we were celebrating our wedding anniversary.Quite a mixed bag!!The journey from the airport to the resort takes over a hour,but the Sandals mini bus is air conditioned and you begin to realise what a beautiful island this is.Check in is quick and very slick.Rooms have queen size four poster beds and a daily top up for the best ever stocked drinks fridge and bar!The choice of restaurants was more than adequate,the food in each excellent,but my overall preference being The Bayside,with its wonderful French A La Carte.We sampled Kimonos,again excellent,with the chef entertaining you as he cooks your food before you,twirling and juggling the cooking implements!And Kelly's with their perfect Filet Mignonette.There is a shuttle bus on which you can visit the other Sandals on St.Lucia,giving you access to all of their amenities and restaurants,their times of opening and dress code are advertised in The Daily Breeze,this is a Sandals paper delivered to your room every evening.Sandals La Toc has a golf course,and you can book your tee times through reception,and the restaurants that advise booking times.We travelled to both other Sandals resorts,and both were very different to Halcyon,but on every occasion we were glad to"go home".Halcyon is a quieter resort,and although the staff at all Sandals were impeccably polite and helpful-the staff at Halcyon were amazing.The weather whilst we were there was hot and humid.It rained very heavily at times,but the storms were on the whole were short lived,and only on one occasion did it spoil our excursion.The day of the wedding was perfect.Sandals Halcyon is a paradise!My only wish would be to return again,to be pampered as I've never been pampered before!

7 Thank ginnyfur
Wow! Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach! It is fantastic that you all had special events to celebrate during your stay and that everyone enjoyed themselves! Our staff think of guests as their family and I am so pleased that you felt the coziness and warmth that radiates there. They are happy to do anything it takes to make sure you have the best vacation!
We look forward to welcoming you back home for a little more of that well-deserved pampering! :)
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Sandals Halcyon Beach was absolutely beautiful. My husband and I had a fantastic time on our honeymoon. The resort was friendly and clean and we met some really great people. I do not have any complaints. We loved every minute of our trip, the weather was great, and the food and service was nice. The desserts weren't that great, so I guess that would be my only complaint.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beachfront concierge room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stacy T
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled that you had an amazing honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon Beach! From beginning to end, it sounds as if you had the perfect romantic getaway.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Oshawa
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Mindful of how my comments can be taken I've avoided saying anything of my wife's and my favourite resort I have been asked to say something after coming here over the last ten years. We travel extensively in the Caribbean and Mexico but have yet felt the warmth and affection that we receive when we arrive at Halcyon. It's not the largest of the Sandals resorts in St. Lucia or the most modern but there is a certain comfortable feeling you get by walking through the beautiful gardens and talking and laughing with the staff. I'm well aware that this is their job but once they get to know you, for no reason other than their wonderful Lucian character, they truly appear to like the guests. Get to know them.
Most rooms have been updated but all are quite comfortable but who stays in their room when travelling in the tropics?
I'm sure you want to know that there are two pools, a more boisterous, active one for the younger newly weds and the quite pool for the grey hairs and serious drinkers. Try a late night dip in the paradise pool you'll love it.
As for the food it's difficult to comment as everyone has different likes and dislikes but Mario's in our opinion is the best Italian of the three Sandals restaurants. Great new Japanese and Sushi bar at Halcyon along with the Bayside and Kelly's who haven't disappointed us. But all the other Sandals restaurants are available to you, give La Toc the French restaurant a try. Excellent.
If your looking for action this is not the resort for you but for romance or just "Liming" it could be the place.
Nothing is perfect in this world so I should make you aware of some draw backs, the trip from the airport is over an hour and even longer if you hit rush hour in Castries. It rains in Saint Lucia, liquid sunshine as we call it, so you better be prepared to get use to it. Most times it lasts a short time during the daytime. Choc beach is a public beach so there are vendors not as many as some want you to believe. Get to know them, "I man" and his wife are my favourites. The Paradise pool and bar could do with some paint and upgrading but it must be difficult to shut and repair the pool when people expect it to be open.
My major complaint is the ignorant tourist couple who doesn't understand the difference between casual and evening attire when comes to the restaurants in the evenings and putting the staff in conflict with the guests. Some education in manners would help.
I don't know if this commentary will help you decide to go to Halcyon but if not, next time I go I know there'll be a cold "Piton" waiting for me.

Room Tip: We prefer the Honeymoon Saint Lucian Deluxe, the #400 section, close to bar, beach and snack bar.
4 Thank KalikOshawa
Thank you for your review. You did a wonderful job of conveying the charm and coziness of Sandals Halcyon Beach. The staff members genuinely do care about our guests and will go out of their way to make sure you feel welcomed and having the best time!
We look forward to welcoming back home soon and you can be sure your Piton will be waiting! :)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Last year we enjoyed it so much, we thought we'd go again this year. Risky I guess but were we disappointed? Certainly not!

The shock of Bayside being a la carte for most days was overcome by the quality of food served. There is still buffet on Mon - BBQ and Fri - Jamaican night (Rodroy & his team did a good job, the conch dish was superb). Delores and Priscus were very attentive and made us feel special.

The Pier is now Kelly's which was fabulous with great ambience.

Mario's the Itailian restaurant (missed last year) was lovely. Wasn't really looking forward to it & was pleasantly surprised. Angelo and Davina were brilliant.

There have been noticable improvements - a new japanese restaurant (with Nelson, Simeon, Ursel and Angel was a blast); new sun loungers and umbrellas around the paradise pool (missed Agnes who was on holiday); new garden seating areas with a cosy fires in the middle; the bedroom also seemed better.

Last year I spent a lot of time on the tennis courts with Chester but this year the weather hampered us somewhat. Also noticed nice new fencing by the court.

This year we ventured over to watersports where Denzil etc were very helpful.

As usual the service, friendliness and sheer informality of the place is what makes it. Yes, some people want more excitement, may I suggest this can be fulfilled by going over to Le Toc or the Grande (shuttle buses are easy to get).

Lennox and his team, too many to name but Wayne, Che, Kurt, and the loyalty manager (whose face I can see but whose name has escaped me at the mo, or was it Dean?) & who sang at the returning guests event (which was the best meal of the stay), have not only maintained the standard but clearly improved it in so many areas. Impressed to say the least.

It is like a home away from home, with friends surrounding you and not simply staff. Perhaps doesn't suit everyone but with a 39% returning guest statistic, they must be doing something right ;-)

Any negatives? sorry but the scarcity of lilos/pool mats by the paradise pool should be addressed with some urgency. One between us all, sadly wasn't an acceptable ratio. Also the quality of the hot chocolate could be improved for the non coffee/tea drinking folk.

Even with the temptation of other and new Sandals resorts, would we be going back to Halcyon? We'd be hard pressed to break free to be honest.

Thank you for another great holiday (weather, 'liquid sunshine', not your fault.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you had a fantastic return stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach! It is exciting that you noticed the improvements we have made to our resort and we assure you there is more to come. We always strive to provide the best to our guests and we appreciate your feedback in identifying the areas we can improve upon in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back again for another fabulous vacation! :)
La Jolla
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We just went for our honeymoon and the only negative I can say about the entire trip was the weather... but that isn't Sandal's fault! The food, the people, the atmosphere... all wonderful! Definitely would recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms that have an ocean view, a little dated... but come on... it's an ocean view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review!
We are delighted that you had a fantastic honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon Beach! Your pictures were absolutely stunning! We are sorry that the weather did not quite cooperate but it is wonderful that you still made unforgettable memories in St. Lucia together.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!