“Beautiful Island”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I went to Halcyon the beginning of June to celebrate our honeymoon. I looked at Trip Advisor reviews daily because I wanted to know everything I could before I went. St. Lucia was absolutely amazing. It reminded me of Jurassic Park, very green and mountainous. It's crazy how long the trip to the airport is considering a boat ride is only about thirty minutes. I heard some other sandal's travelers took a water taxis to get to the hotel, but the sandal's airport transfer is free, and you do get to see a large part of the island. You’ll get used to the honking. The drivers honk to say hello or to warn other drivers they are coming.

The weather there was perfect. It was hot, but not humid. It rained daily, but only for a few minutes. It was overcast parts of the day also, but the temperature was nice. We were surprised at how early it got dark there. We live in the same time zone and it was getting dark at home around 8. It was fully dark in St. Lucia by 6:30.

The resort was wonderful, very quiet and peaceful. When we went, the front desk said they were about 95% full, but it really did seem as if they were only half full. Never had any problems getting a cabana, beach/pool chairs, reservations for dinner. There was a ton of private and secluded areas. They had hot tubs scattered all around the resort, and there was no problem finding an empty one. We never even had to wait to sit down for meals that did not require reservations. We had a honeymoon oceanfront walkout suite. The location was perfect and we never had a problem with noise.

We ate at Kimono's, Mario's, Kelly's, and La Toc for dinner. The only one I did not prefer was Kimono's. I LOVE Japanese food, but it was just mediocre. The carbonara at Mario's was amazing (manager and Sherri Ann very friendly) and the filet at Kelly's was delicious. La Toc (French cuisine) was very good, the manager did an excellent job making you feel comfortable and wanted you to have a great experience. I tried Frog Legs there, which I have never had before, and they were surprisingly delicious. We also ate at Bayside for Breakfast and there was a good selection. I did not find the drinks watered down. Each bar has a selection of frozen drink “specials.” I enjoyed going down the list each day and trying them all.

The beach was not pristine clear water, but if you did any research you would have already known that before arriving in St. Lucia. And they do have beach vendors, but they were incredibly nice, and do have things worth buying. When you buy something from them, they will remember your name and periodically talk to you if you walk by them just to see how you are enjoying the island. The people in St. Lucia are one of the reasons I want to go back. They are incredibly friendly, and want to share their culture and history with you. They also will not nag you and when you say “no” they leave you alone. I think a lot of people did not want to be “bothered” by the beach vendors so they mainly stayed at the pool, which pretty much leaves the beach nice and secluded.

Before I left, I read that a lot of the guests were older. Maybe because it was June (popular wedding month), there were a ton of people that were the same age as us (mid-20’s). Everyone who was on our bus ride and on our welcome tour was on their honeymoon.
We took advantage of the snorkeling while we were there. I thought they would just give you snorkels and then you could go out from the beach. They actually take you to a marina and bring you by boat to a beautiful snorkeling spot. All of the employees at the Sandal’s snorkeling were SO friendly and answered any questions you had. Make sure you book at least a day in advance or book early in the day for the afternoon trip. You can bay $50 a person for their super snorkel, but I was satisfied with their free snorkeling.

All of the staff was very friendly and would go out of their way to make sure you happy. We did not have any problems throughout our stay.

Excursions- We booked through Island Route Tours prior to arriving. We did the Deep Sea Sports Fishing, Hike the Pitons, and Joe Knows.

Deep Sea Fishing- I got sea sick about 45 minutes into it. I have never been sea sick on a boat before and have been on boats my entire life. There were very rough waters that day. The cool thing was that you go out pretty far and can see Martinique from the boat. If you are prone to getting sea sick then do not go because they will not bring you back, and you will be stuck throwing up on the boat for 4 hours. Also, they do NOT provide any snack- just beer, soda, and water (so bring something to snack on). Our bus driver was very friendly on the way back. One of the other couples was asking about a local drink that they sell in the super markets. The driver brought us to one close by the resort and showed us where all of the local drinks were. He recommended a Desperado beer (which was new to St. Lucia, but is a European beer). It was a tequila flavored beer (it reminded me of a sweet Corona). My husband and I bought two of them, and the other couple bought a St. Lucia energy drink, not sure which one.

Hiking the Pitons- This was a pretty cool experience. As I figured it was not going to be a leisurely hike, I did expect the first part named the “easy trail” to not be very difficult. The ENTIRE hike is strenuous. After the first 10 minutes I was completely out of breath and sweating like crazy. A tour guide will walk you back down if you need to go back. The tour guides were great. I had Margaret (I think that was her name). She took her time with us and stopped every few minutes for a couple seconds break to catch our breath, which was helpful. Bring as much water as you can carry. I think I brought three 16oz water bottles with me and drank them all. They give you one 16oz, but I saw some people only got an 8oz, so pack up that morning from your mini fridge. The “half-way” point has a beautiful view of the petit Piton. I wasn’t really impressed with the view from the top, but I was really proud that I made it up there. You are mostly climbing the entire time. I’m only 5 foot, so I had to get on my hands and knees sometimes to climb up the boulders. The climb is STEEP, and would not recommend to anyone who is afraid of heights, because you can see to the bottom as you climb. There were two dogs that made it up the hike also which was pretty cool to see. I tried to take pictures during the hike, but you really need both hands to hold on and there are only a few “safe” places to rest. FIY- the tour guides said that Oprah never climbed gros Piton (I suspect she saw the view from a helicopter), so don’t bother picturing her as inspiration as you hike up. After the hike, they take you to Still Beach resort for lunch. The food was AMAZING, as well as the view of both pitons.

The day after the Pitons, I booked a massage. I was definitely sorer then I have been in a really long time, and the massage helped a lot. My legs were killing me.

Joe Knows- I know everyone says this tour is great. AND IT REALLY IS. The tour guides are knowledgeable and personable. They really know how to make a group of strangers have fun together (by giving you unlimited rum punch). The speed boat was really fun and they blast music. The mud bath was AMAZING and your skin feels so smooth afterwards. The waterfall was really fun. Our tour guide (Snoop dog) took pictures for everyone during each stop. They also bring you to Still Water for lunch. The meal was completely different then the first, and equally delicious. They also take you around the island to the different cities on the boat, and you learn about Soufriere and Marigot Bay. The snorkeling was really fun and they brought you to a different place then where you go for the Sandal’s snorkeling

Few negatives- The Beach Bistro is not good. Sometimes it was the only thing that was open so if you are hungry you are forced to eat there. I tried a lot of things on the menu-sandwiches, burgers, Panini, salad, and I did not enjoy anything they offered. It was pretty gross. Also, we did go there on our honeymoon and were supposed to have the honeymoon package (which they e-mailed me to confirm months in advance), and we did not get it. We also had ants in our bathroom. Not even enough to complain, but I guess there was enough to worth mentioning on here. Lastly, we really enjoyed snorkeling there, and were really interested in going to Sugar Beach (not sure if that is exactly the name). We were disappointed to find out that none of the excursions brought you there, even though it was supposed to be THE BEST place to snorkel in St. Lucia.

Here are some tips for fellow Halcyon visitors:
- When arriving at the airport politely decline having anyone take your bags. The trip from customs to the Sandal's lounge is about a 15 second walk.
-The restaurants had no problems with ordering particular items or adding things to your entree. My husband wanted to add shrimp to his meal (pasta) a few nights and they had no problem adding it in.
- Make reservations for dinners ASAP. We did it within hours of being there and were able to choose from any restaurant we wanted at any resort.
-If you do visit other hotels, plan what time you need to get on the bus. (Rude guests will try to cut you).
- Buy the Marigot Bay Coconut Rum. They sell it at the gift shop for about $14. It’s worth it. The gift shop will also let you taste some of the rums if you are curious and seem interested in buying.
-There are vendors at the water fall and the Pitons. They sell things like the hot sauce, banana sauce honey, and rum (not the coconut rum) for cheaper than the resort.

We really did have a lovely experience, and it was an amazing relaxing honeymoon. La Toc and Grande are more active and for the “younger” crowd, but we were on our honeymoon and had no desire to spend time with other couples. There was a block party at La Toc one night with St. Lucian cuisine and drinks. There is a ton to do at the other resorts, but Halcyon was perfect for our honeymoon. I would definitely visit the Halcyon again, and would go back to St. Lucia any day. The island was beautiful and the people are incredibly friendly.

7  Thank diagonali
There are newer reviews for Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Twenty family and friends stayed here for a week for my daughter's wedding. The location is beautiful, lots of fun activities and incredibly friendly and helpful staff. We would all come back here again !

Room Tip: Newer rooms are great, but you can hear vehicles on the road.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The staff was friendly, the butlers were fantastic! The beach was intimate, and not overcrowded. Pools were also not overcrowded. People think this was the small resort and doesn't compare to the big ones, and they're wrong! It's perfect for the honeymoon! A bit quieter than the rest of the resorts, but still had fantastic restaurants! Kelly's Dockside (formerly The Pier) was outstanding and Mario's was unanimously rated the best Italian over the three Sandals on the island. We still had access and went to a few dinners at La Toc and the Grande and enjoyed our time there and were happy to come "home" to our quaint and romantic Halcyon beach. So much to do on the island and we enjoyed our time on our shopping excursions, Zip-lining, and the adventurous hiking of the Gros Piton. We could not be more please with our stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the butler rooms add that special touch and luxury to make a great trip that m...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

We're thrilled to read of your fantastic honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon. We strive to create romantic and memorable vacation experiences for all of our guests and it makes us proud to hear your kind comments. Thank you so much for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another amazing trip!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights here lastr week in a butler suite. Located steps from the water our room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was perfect, AC cold as ice and the view from our front porch unbeatable.

Lots of Sandals employees made our stay memorable and enjoyable. First off - and I've even surprised myself with this - our maid Valentine was wonderful. It hurt me not to be able to tip her to show my appreciation for a genuinely nice woman with a great work ethic. Willard and Roland (our butlers) went above and beyond all my expectations. I truly felt that they would go to the end fo the world to make us happy. Silveria was very attentive also. Overall the staff was excellant - even impressive. I watched an employee find 40 dollars US on the ground and manage to track down and return to the customer who had no idea he'd even lost it. I watched a kitchen employee stop what he was doing to offer to take pictures of a couple dressed up for dinner unasked. Sometimes its little things like this that stand out.

Note that this resort is quiet. Not silent but just quiet and serene. If you are looking to chill with at a beautiful resort with employees that care about your happiness then I highly recommend staying here. .

Room Tip: Bulter rooms walk out just steps from the beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank happycampersfromva
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We traveled to St. Lucia June 17 to June 23rd 2013 to celebrate our honeymoon. We booked all our travel arrangements through True Bliss Travel. Kristie found us some great deals on travel and got us a $250 spa credit and a free candlelight dinner. We landed on Monday at the airport and it was pretty busy going through customs. Once past customs you get your bags and head over to the sandals lounge. Don't forget to bring a few dollars to tip the guy that carries your bag 30' to the sandals lounge (they're pretty upfront on asking for the money). The ride from the airport to the hotel is quite an experience. The drivers don't take it easy on the narrow winding roads. They'll fly pass "slow" movers and zip around the turns. It's a pretty fun hour long ride as long as you don't get car sick. When we arrived at the resort we started in the piano bar where all the concierge/butler guests checked in.

Weather: We found out pretty quick that we had come during the rainy season. The first few days it was overcast with random showers. The sun finally came on Thursday and lasted until we left on sunday though there were still a few rain showers. The temperature stayed around 82° and when the sun was shining you could feel it.

Food: There's only 4 restaurants at Halcyon. We only made it to 3 of them while we were there. The bistro is more of a snack shop that is only open during lunchtime and then again after the restaurants close. The food there is ok but good to keep you on track when you've been drinking all morning. A couple days in we discovered the Caribbean burgers and they were awesome. Every morning we ate breakfast at the Bayside which has buffet items as well as a station where they will make you an omelet. The food was once again ok but you start to get tired of the same old breakfast options i.e. bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. (I know it's hard to believe that a man can get tired of bacon but it happens to the best of us). We went to Kelly's dockside one night and the food was ok there as well. Like almost all the restaurants the atmosphere is the coolest part of the meal. The best part of the meal at Kelly's was the desert which we had to go. The last place and our favorite at Halcyon is Kimono and Soy. We went one night to the Teppanyaki table and then came back for sushi. You have to make a reservation for the Teppanyaki side but the sushi is first come first serve. The sushi works great as an appetizer as they are small rolls but delicious. One night we went to the Grande St. Lucian to look around and try out Toscanin's. The food at this Italian restaurant was very salty which kind of killed the taste. Once again our favorite part was the desert, we both had Tiramisu. The only part we didn't like was the servings were too small for desert. All in all the food is ok, but we didn't come just for the food. As long as you don't expect it to mouth watering amazing then you'll enjoy the food.

Accomodations: Where to even start with the accomodations. The resort is small and more quiet than the Grande St. Lucian. This is the main reason we chose this resort. If you want more people and more partying then i'd recommend the Grande. We spent most of our time laying around one of the two pools. Both pools have swim up bars where you can get amazing island drinks. I got hooked right away on the BBC's even though they aren't strong but they are delicious. We also like the Bob Marley's which look cool and taste great. The resort also has tons of different places to relax like cabana's and hammocks and there weren't many people so you didn't have to fight to find a spot to chill out.

We had a room by the back pool next to the road. We were worried about noise off the main road but quickly learned that the AC would drown out any road noise. The room was really nice with second story balcony and a full bar. We didn't drink from the room bar as much as you'd think though since we were always outside and within a few feet of a bar. The maids came every day and sometimes put little towel creatures on the bed. They also come around 7ish and turn down your bed. We were absolutely amazed that they always seemed to know that you weren't in the room because you never run into any of the cleaning staff.

We went on the Jeep excursion on Thursday. The tour was $110 per person and it took you to road side farm shack where you were able to try fresh pineapple, coconut, and mango. From there you stop in Anse Le Ray where you get to walk around for a few minutes. After that you drive through another small fishing village and you head to the fountain of youth. The fountain of youth is a sulfur spring where you get into really hot sulfur water. Then you get to wipe sulfur mud on each other and let it dry. After that you jump back into the sulfur spring and wash it off. Your skin feels super smooth when it's all done. After that you jump back in the jeep and they take you over to the waterfall. You can get a lot of cool pictures at the waterfall. If you have water shoes i'd recommend them here as the rocks are pretty sharp in the small pool under the waterfall. If you don't just walk slow and you'll be alright. From here you head to a restaurant that has the most amazing views of the village below and the Piton Volcanoes in the background. If you don't want very exerting excursion then i'd recommend this one for sure. We also did the snorkeling through the resort one day. They take you to a dock in Castries where you head out on a boat about 10-15 mins away. The spot we snorkeled at some coral and a few fish to look at. The snorkeling was cool until I got stung by something. When i got back on the boat they said it was probably a sea ant which i guess is kind of like a jelly fish. They aren't super painful but you'll feel them. They had vinegar on the boat to neutralize it so if your not worried about a pinching feeling for a couple minutes then you'll be alright snorkeling here.

With everything being said we really enjoyed our honeymoon in St. Lucia at Sandals Halcyon. The resort was quiet and peaceful as well as beautiful...Just what we wanted.

3  Thank MSaracusa
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

We're so glad to read of your wonderful honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon. We always strive to offer romantic and relaxing experiences for our guests and I'm happy that we were able to do just that for you during your stay.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here from 9th June -20th June 2013. The holiday was booked with Hayes and Jarvis through Thompson in Hitchin Herts. According to Hayes and Jarvis we booked a Luxury Honeymoon room with balcony. On arrival we were 'upgraded' 2 levels, after 2 days of staying in a pretty basic ground floor room, we asked to see what we would have been given only to find it was exactly the same! The staff are friendly enough but a few days Into our holiday I witnessed a drug deal on the beach, basically if you get the pedlars a beer they give you a wrap of something, I reported this to the front desk and for a day or two the security was a bit more prominent but it didn't last. I'm not anti drugs I was just shocked that someone would be dealing a few feet from my sunbed. We are now home and have had to report the loss of an ipad from our room, 48 hours later we are still waiting for the hotel manager to get in contact with us. It feels like no-one cares now we are no longer there. I am so disappointed with the way they have treated us with regard to the drug dealing and theft. Sandals Is a massive, worldwide brand and to know that this kind of issue doesnt matter is hard to swallow. For any halcyon beach representatives that want to get in touch or any traveller wanting more information please email treaclex49@hotmail.com and I am happy to enlighten you.

3  Thank TraceyHertfordshire
Management response:Responded July 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. The safety and security of our guests and staff are of the greatest importance to us and we continue to make every effort to ensure all practices and standards are in line with strict safety and security regulations. Please accept my apologies for you experiencing this incident and for the delay in response from our resort since. This is certainly not our standard and we would love to speak with you more regarding this matter.

I look forward to speaking with you via private message.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We traveled to the Sandals Halcyon from June 16-June 23. Our first few days were overcast but nice, and our last few days were almost all sunny and bright.

I'll try to hit points I've seen made on here and some that came up while we were there.

Rooms: We had the Butler suite directly near the beachfront. The bed was lush and comfortable, and the room itself was well-cleaned. Shout out to Valentine our maid who did a wonderful job. Our maids usually came about 4pm every day and then turned the room down about 7pm. You can change this if you'd like. The bathroom was functional but older. The toilet could use some help as it had a weak flush and sometimes spit water at you. This level suite had a full minibar that was stocked with whatever you'd like, but with an open bar everywhere you generally go this only got touched a few times.

Service: We had a butler (primarily Willard, but also Roland and Silveria), which was a bit different for us. The first few days we didn't ask for much but then we got more comfortable with that and it was great. They will take a cooler out and reserve you spots, but we found that spots at the pool or beach were not at all hard to find. Willard was great, and Roland was a saint if we ever needed anything. They really do love their jobs and make your stay just that much better. Service everywhere else was generally outstanding, but sometimes a bit slow. Not malicious slow, just slower than normal. Don't be in a hurry and it won't be a problem. Overall the service staff were excellent. Shout out to Priscus and Nathalie at the Bayside, JC at Gordon's at the Grande, and Subrina, Angel, and Philip/June at Kimono's and Soy.

Food: The food overall was very good. The Bayside had some items which rotated daily, but many of the items stayed the same. The hot bar was sometimes more of a warm bar, but overall there were only a few items that didn't tickle our fancy. If you are picky or don't like caribbean foods then you may be in trouble, but I don't suspect that would effect many. If you need anything just ask someone and they will be happy to help you with it. Be careful to make sure that your dinner plans are to places which are in fact open. Many of the restaurants are closed on certain nights so if you are traveling to another resort make sure the restaurant is open. There is a daily newsletter at the front desk to tell you what is going on at all three resorts.

Drinks: The bartenders here were excellent. Special shout out to Solange, Agnes, Vanessa, and Aaron who constantly made drinks with a smile. Mine were certainly not weak, but if you get a BBC (and DO get a BBC) they are not made with strong liquors in the first place so don't expect it to knock you down. Just ask for Vodka or Rum on top.

Vendors: The beach vendors here are hit or miss. They always start out friendly, and prey on the new arrivals. "Hey mon, come over here let me show you my stuff" will be heard quite a bit. If you buy from them they usually leave you alone, or if you tell them no they will also. Some of the vendors are quite pushy though, and they will not hesitate to use the "it's been slow and could you help me out" line. One brought his kids who were playing in the son all day, and tried to use them as a ploy. He also asked for beer, but nothing for his kids. They are annoying, but are at every resort beach so don't base your opinion on this.

Playmakers: These guys do a wonderful job getting people involved. Shout out to Viana, Eslyn, Greg, Chester, and Everton. They really are fun and not too pushy. The rest of those staying at the resort were fun and didn't make too big of a deal about and weren't too competitive.

Watersports: The watersports team, especially Parker and Michael, were very helpful. They hold daily lessons on many of the craft. There is no mechanized watersport here, but on nice days jet ski vendors ride by. We were offered $60 for a half hour. Most days there is an early and late option for snorkel or scuba, except for Tuesday and Thursday where there is simply a morning (8:20) option. These involve getting on a shuttle to a dive center and going out from there, not directly leaving the resort.

Cats: The cats were noticeable, but they were in no way a pest. Some are friendly, others just leave you alone. We named most of them, so shout out to Midget, Happy, Hitler Cat, Adolphus, Smore, and Twitch.

Customers: The average age I would say at this resort is 20-30 something honeymooners and 50-70 year old anniversary couples. The resort at this point was not full as this is the "rainy" season. During the earlier parts of the years the resort is far more booked. Everyone was pretty friendly and most were open to meeting and talking to each other at the bars or dinner.

Shuttles: There is a shuttle which runs between all three resorts from roughly 6am-11pm. The shuttles perform a loop; and leave the Halcyon on the quarter hour (7:15, 8:15, etc). The direction of the shuttle alternates each hour, so it is roughly 2 hours between shuttles to a particular resort.

Overall: Overall we had an amazing time and would recommend this to anyone looking for fun. Le Toc is definitely more of a party hotel with a younger base, and the Grande has a nice huge beach; but the Halcyon is perfectly situation between both and is low paced.

Room Tip: Butler suites are nice, but they have somewhat outdated bathrooms. Rooms in the middle of the compl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Paul W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!