“A Perfect Honeymoon Destination”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A Perfect Honeymoon Destination”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Fantastic staff, in a fantastic location makes for a fantastic holiday.
Full, all inclusive. All food & Drink (exp wine menu in some restaurants, house wine is free though), water sports and complex based activities. Just truly wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TazOnSpeed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Slovak first
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My new hubby and I have just returned from the perfect honeymoon at the Halcyon Beach resort. The resort has beautiful gardens that were very well maintained. The pools are really nice and there was always plenty of sun loungers to choose from. The swim up bars are particularly good and the staff were really friendly. The beach is beautiful and the sunsets are spectacular. The food was amazing! There was plenty of choice and it was delicious. Kelly's restaurant on the pier was a particular favourite, the steak was awesome. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing, chilled out holiday.

1 Thank Heidiho128
Hampshire
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Arrived back from Halcyon Monday. Just brilliant again, our 9th visit. Staff are great, they really make the holiday special. Thank you all. Weather was perfection sunny days and showers at night what more could you ask for. The food at Kelly's Dockside was excellent but why change the name from The Pier, if Kelly has to be in the name make it Kelly's Pier much preferred. Mario's is still very good and there is now a Kimonos on resort we went on opening night and really enjoyed it, there is also a sushi bar attached.
We went out several times on the hobie cats it was great fun, my husband water skied nearly every day he also scuba dived and had some great dives. Our room was super,one of the older ones which we love being in. Reunion week was well worth going too met lots of old friends. Can't wait to go back.

2 Thank Mosy
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The most striking thing about the resort is the gardens - they are beautiful and are constantly cared for by a troop of gardeners. The resort rooms are located in low rise buildings throughout the gardens and no matter what type of room you have booked you are almost guaranteed a very pretty outlook. The cabanas in the gardens are very comfortable with large cushions to relax on.

Unfortunately we had a poor start to our holiday (not the fault of Sandals at all) but on arrival at the resort in the late evening were told there was no room available for our first night. After travelling for 23 hours we were not best pleased! However we were dealt with quickly by the duty manger and were transferred to Le Toc for the first night. Having had a short experience of Le Toc we were delighted to return to Halcyon the following morning. As compensation for our inconvenience we were given a room upgrade which was much appreciated.

Our room was fine (406). Not a 5* room but it was exceptionally clean. The bathroom would certainly not be somewhere where you would want to spend time and is in need of refurbishment. The bath itself was tired and aging. The shower was very good though. I was really surprised that there were no bathrobes or slippers provided. These are things I would certainly expect from a resort which claims to be 5*. Toiletries are provided and the products lasted the 10 nights of our stay with both of us using them.

We made use of the fitness centre. It is well equipped with two bikes, two cross trainers and two treadmills (no rowing machines) and a wide range of weight machines. It has large changing rooms with showers, towels and toiletries. The sauna and steam rooms are situated off the changing rooms. The are classes offered at times throughout the day. If you like water sports you should definitely make use of the water sport centre.

We were unable to retain our room for a late check out as the resort was fully booked so we were offered the use of the fitness centre. On 3 occasions I asked whether there would be a hairdryer available and was assured there would be. Sadly there was not! Have to hand it to the reception staff; they sorted out access to one of the rooms so we could use the facilities prior to leaving.

We tended to use the paradise pool which was much quieter than the main pool. If you want to get involved in the activities and want to have music playing you will probably prefer the main pool.

Some people have mentioned the cats at the resort. Yes there are cats but they do not bother you at all. Obviously if you decide to feed them they will keep coming back. They just hang around the gardens and do their own thing. You may find one asleep in a chair on your terrace but they move away once they become aware of you.

Each of the restaurants offered good quality food. Our favourite was Mario's which offered a good range of Italian food. The antipasto was superb. Kelly's was nice and the setting is lovely. Bayside has quite a wide choice with occasional 'theme' evenings. A previous reviewer mentioned her disappointment that some people did not observe the dress code for the restaurants and I would certainly agree with that. About 95% of female guests made effort to get dressed for the evenings but sadly their male partners let them down somewhat. Shabby shorts, t-shirts and flip flop type sandals are not really what you would want to see - come on guys, make the effort! You are going to a good restaurant not the beach!

We went to Sue's Piano Bar on 3 evenings and would have liked to have gone more often but found the behaviour of some guests and staff was quite inappropriate. The pianist is actually rather good but his performances were spoiled by 'silliness'. It should be a haven of calm and coolness with it’s big comfortable sofas and it was a huge shame that it turned out to be somewhere we felt we would prefer to avoid.

We took advantage of the shuttle service to visit restaurants at the other Sandals resorts and have to say the Le Toc restaurant was superb. Make your reservation shortly after your arrival as you may have to wait a few days for a table. The shuttle service runs 2 hourly to Le Toc and The Grand. From the Grand you can walk to the end of the resort and across a car park to pay a visit to Pigeon Island to see Fort Rodney. We enjoyed being able to do this independently and not have to rely on a 'tour'. The Grand certainly feels the most luxurious of the three Sandals resorts.

If you are thinking about doing the 'Hike the Pitons' tour there are some things to be aware of that are not mentioned in the sales pitch. The first half of the walk is classed as moderate and is over uneven rocky ground. The second half is classed as strenuous and becomes more of a climb than a walk as it has a 45 degree gradient. The final quarter is damp and slippery. The majority of the walk is on the shady side of the Piton. You will need to wear shoes that support your feet. Trainers are adequate. We are relatively fit and managed the climb without any issues but there were many who found it very challenging. The view from the top is definitely worth the climb. Make sure you take water with you as the tour only provides one 500ml bottle and you certainly need more than that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My new husband and I have just returned from our second trip at this resort and had the best time. We love the staff, who are always friendly and helpful. Last year my sister celebrated her weddingmoon here and since we enjoyed their's so much we returned to celebrate ours here also.
The wedding staff were amazing and our wedding day was every bit as special as we had hoped. Big shout out to Dane and Tracey for helping us with the planning and coordination of our day.
The restaurant and bar staff were always friendly. Agnes, Ursel, Aaron, Mc Gavin, Gavy, Dwight, Davis, Martha, Kurby, Leny, Dolores, all helped making our dining and drinking experiences memorable and fun.
I volunteered to help out with the monthly fashion show that they have at the resort and had so much fun with the entertainment girls Eslyn and Viana.
Garfield, Chevonic and Everton were great in getting everyone involved in the resorts daily activities and were energetic and fun to be around.
The reception staff and the soon come back people were also amazing to deal with and went out of their way to have our room sprayed when the mosquito's were having a munch. Kayne took care of that many times and we were much appreciative. Wernelle is so friendly and personable and has such a pleasant demeanor and it was a pleasure dealing with her also.
Kerwyn was extremely helpful with giving us the reunion information, which helped alert me to some of the activities for returning guests that i didn't know about.
We did visit the other two resorts to dine and as much as we enjoyed the food, my husband and I really love the Halcyon and will continue to visit here as much as our finances allow.
Night life is limited, however it is a smaller and quieter resort. Monday's however have the dancing girls, with the limbo and also the fire breather and these guys are amazing.
Overall I can't say enough about this resort and it's staff we truly loved our time here and will look forward to going back there in the future!

De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We are at the resort now. It's very beautiful, nice beach, clean resort and the staff is so wonderful. Thank you Claudia, Crisdel, and Dean. The temps are perfect, the foliage and flowers are stunning and the food and drinks are good too. I would recommend Halcyon if you like an intimate, low key relaxing vacation. It was perfect for us.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WendySK
NYC
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I will start by saying my wife and I had a wonderful vacation at Halcyon - there were definitely some aspects of the resort that were first class but we had some disappointment as well. However, we never let anything disappointing ruin the precious alone time we get!

As my wife and I decided to go to St Lucia the only real decision to make was which of the three resorts we would go to - Halcyon, The Grande or Le toc. We chose Halcyon primarily because we were looking for a quieter place and liked the looks of the pictures.

I have one other review here for Couples resort in Negril and other than the food being better at Halyon, we liked Couples Negril better.

The highlights:

First the people that stood out:

Agnes - the woman in charge at the back pool area bar. She was terrific.

Asian female student from China who is studying in Switzerland and was working as an intern waitressing in Mario's. Very friendly, hustled, so earnest in trying to please and a pleasure to have as a server. She went out of way to make everyone happy - even though you could tell she was inexperienced. A great example of how to work!

Ursel - this girl RAN on the beach to guests to ask if they would like drinks or anything she could assist with. And so pleasant as well. My wife and I both looked at each other stunned watching her. They should make her manager of whole resort.

Melissa - concierge desk very helpful when we checked in putting our itinerary together

The other stuff...

*The food was really good - far better than I expected being an "all inclusive" resort. No hesitation on giving upper shelf liquor on request either. House wines are pretty good too.

*Mario's restaurant: We are picky about good Italian food and this place did not disappoint. Food was excellent and the service was as well. We went twice.

*Kelly's restaurant: Also very good and great view. Go earlier so you can watch the sunset. We went there twice.

*The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The landscaping is beautifully maintained and the layout is well done. The resort overall was very clean.

*Fire pits were abundant and very nice to share cozy time with your loved one with a cocktail or champagne.

*Couples massage: we had this twice and loved it. Highly recommended. Make sure if you do this insist on the gazebo by the small pool. The one in the front has a lot of people going back and forth and is not as private.

*We did the Soufre Catamaran trip to the volcano and the Botanical Gardens. I would typically be bored to death doing a Botanical visit but this was truly beautiful and I had never seen anything quite like it. The tour guy for us was Simon and he was very informative. I would have liked to see more of the gardens but we were a bit rushed through it. He did remind the group though that he was not part of the tour and he did accept tips. More on the Catamaran trip later....

The smaller pool:
We preferred hanging out at the"Paradise" pool near the back instead of the recreation "Sunset" pool to nap, read, take a swim and have a cocktail. For the most part that is what we got - although at times there would be much louder groups that would hang here instead of the activities pool. Just some rude people you would get anywhere I guess. We would just go with the flow and hope they'd leave soon.

The Paradise pool bar is nice and the woman who runs it is a sweetheart I mentioned above named Agnes. The first time we swam up she smiled and asked us our names and never failed to remember our names greet us with a smile and offering a cocktail.

The rooms:

Beds were very comfortable, the rooms clean and more than adequate for what we were looking for. I will bring this up later though - we had asked for a non - smoking room (which I assume it was) we had neighbors on each adjacent side and above us who smoked out on the little front patios and many times our room smelled of cigarette smoke. My thought is that they should have dedicated buildings or sections for smokers.

Lowlights or things we noticed:

*A lot of smokers at the resort with seemingly no restrictions on areas where you could smoke although thankfully not not in the restaurants. The front desk area, the courtyard area, the pools, anyone who wanted to smoke could or did. Even our "non-smoking" room had ashtrays on the front porch area. We were really surprised by how many smokers there were.

*We had a concierge room (700's) but it is right on top of the road so you constantly hear sirens and road traffic. Also I think we were near the employee entrance or parking area we would hear loud music from cars parking early in morning.

*The beach was nice but not as clean and beautiful as Jamaica. Water had strong current so it was not as clear as the what the pictures on the Sandals site looked like. It was pretty murky and I'd suggest wearing swim footwear taking a swim as there are rocks, and small coral areas that you can step on because you cannot see clearly from above. My wife is not an ocean lover but she lived in the ocean at Jamaica but only went in the ocean here for a minute before deciding it was not for her.

*We were going to go to le Toc resort for dinner one night and had made reservations at one of the restaurants. We waited for the bus to come by and as soon as it pulled up people came out of no where jamming up to get on the bus. Turned out by the time we were to get on the bus there was no more room on the bus and we couldnt get over to the other resort. The front desk said sit tight another bus would show but it did not so after waiting 10-15 minutes we just went somewhere else onsite. We heard from other guests that getting back and forth the to other resorts were a bit of a hassle so we decided to stay on site for the most part.

*The outside bar near big pool - had a very low ceiling and smelled funky. Felt like we were having a drink in someones basement. We solved that by taking our drinks to the small courtyard next to the pool.

*The furniture in reception lobby was really, really dirty and needed to be cleaned. That was only area I saw that was really not clean.

*While we were expecting a quieter resort, we still would have liked some romantic music or mellow entertainment at night after dinner other than the steel drum guys playing Bob Marley stuff. It did not meet our expectations here. They could have low key cocktail parties outside on the deck or be a little more creative and interactive.

While there were some really sweet, professional and nice staff onsite (Mario's restaurant and Agnes at the pool bar!) most of them were not particularly friendly and I would get the feeling of indifference from them.

The managers cocktail party was pretty bad. First, it was done inside what I believe was a ballroom that needs an updating badly. They should have held it outdoors in the courtyard where they were getting ready to set up a barbque. The resort manager talked to the guests and to me it was really self serving, tacky pat on the back type of one way conversation saying how good they were and not a cocktail party in any sense of the word. It felt like we were going to be pitched a time share or something. The resort manager gave a 20 minute preachy "address" to the group and insisted that when they hired employees he looked for the right attitude instead of qualifications when hiring people to work at the resort. I liked what he said but after a week there it was not something I saw consistently. He also said if there were ANY complaints, address them with the management and concerns would be addressed. Which brings me to...

The Soufres Catamaran trip (Carnival Catamarans): This is an all day trip going down the coast of St Lucia to the mud baths, the Botanical Gardens and the volcano. The return trip is supposed to be highlighted by a snorkel on the way back followed by some cocktails and maybe some music and dancing. Well while we loved the trip on the first part of the trip, the part coming back fell far short of expectations.

What Sandals does not tell you is that on the return trip they pick up additional passengers from the second half of the "Land and Sea" excursion. A beautiful 2 hour trip down to the sites were totally different on the way back. The boat was PACKED and there was really no where to sit comfortably - certainly not under any shade if you were out in the sun all day. When it came time to snorkel - a huge line of people lined up to fill out the sign up sheet with pushing and shoving to get in line. It was a mess I thought.

The crew were to provide the mask and snorkel but had to arrange for another catamaran to pull over and throw more of them over. I guarantee they were not sanitized at all - it looked like they were given to our boat from another boat that just finished a snorkel. I decided to pass on the snorkel after seeing how chaotic it was starting to become. Too many people in unsafe conditions. While people were snorkeling small outboard boats were zipping around the boat with kids trying to sell people stuff or looking for cash - while people are snorkeling 10'-20' away. It was idiotic and dangerous. I am an experienced and certified open water diver and have had pretty varied dive experiences and I couldn't believe it. There was no way I was going to go in the water with the way this was run.

My wife and I were really disapointed and we decided to tell the concierge about our experience once we were back at the hotel. The guy (I didn't get his name but should have) nodded while listening and asked me to write down what happened and he promised we would get a call from a manager (this was third day into a seven day visit). We never got a response from anyone and I decided not to ask anymore about it or waste time complaining since we didn't a initial response anyway. Was not impressed with the customer service from that experience and it didn't reflect what the resort manager told us at our "briefing" cocktail hour.

So my suggestion would be to skip this excursion because we honestly felt ripped off after.

I think the way you judge a trip or vacation is if that by the end of your trip, you don't want to leave the resort. While my wife and I wanted to continue our vacation, we were a little disapponted kind of ok with leaving the resort and trying something else.

Room Tip: Go for room in 100's so you are closer to beach. Avoid the concierge rooms unless you can deal w...