“Our Anniversary at Sandals Halcyon”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Elizabeth, Colorado
“Our Anniversary at Sandals Halcyon”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I are not avid travelers, but through our daughter’s insistence, booked our 7-day 45th Wedding Anniversary trip to Sandals Halcyon. We had been to Turks & Caicos (Beaches), but not a Sandals Resort. We are not anti-children, but it was relaxing and quiet not to have children with or staying next to us. We visited all three St. Lucia Sandals and confirmed Halcyon is the best for us. It was small enough to easily walk a few steps to restaurants, pools, the beach, or a bar.

The entire staff was friendly. Everyone greeted or nodded. Many times when wandering, we were asked if we needed directions or assistance. Natalie was one of the constants during our visit. She treated us like family, and greeted us most mornings. The food was typical Sandals outstanding! We ate mostly fish meals and discovered the food does not have to taste fishy at Sandals. The Chef’s at both the Pier and Mario’s even came around the tables to see how we liked our meals.

We paid for concierge service, so there was a mini-refrigerator with soda, beer, water & juice as well as wine, champagne, & liquor. I was elated to know I would be able to drink my Diet Cokes daily and there would always be more! I am sure they restocked everything almost daily. I also met with the concierge and created a schedule for our week, so we did not miss anything. She booked meals at both LaToc and the Grande, confirmed our anniversary dinner on the beach, as well as reserving space for us at Halcyon’s Mario’s and the Pier (If you make reservations, you don’t need to wait). We swam at LaToc, the main desk people there offered us a room in which to shower and change before we went to the French Restaurant (Alexander was a fantastic server) there, and they stored our clothing bag for us while swimming. Having access to three resorts was a plus.

Our room was #110 and it is by far the best location at the resort. We were on a single story end unit and were closest to the beach. We loved listening to the waves at night. Our porch was ideal for relaxing and reading. The room was somewhat disappointing since it is not updated, and felt old. The tub/shower was not extra large or anything else we expected. There were cracked and broken tiles and only one sink.

When thinking about best and worst of Halcyon: The absolute best was our room location and personalized service. The worst was the lack of restaurant choices. The food was excellent wherever we went, but the locations were limited. Overall, we loved our Halcyon Anniversary and will visit another small Sandals!

Room Tip: The honeymoon rooms by the beach are the best for privacy and true enjoyment of an island vacation.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The grounds were nice - there was nice foliage and nice places for couples to find some privacy. The hotel room we stayed in was nice and quiet (though the door opened onto an open hallway next to the highway which was not very attractive and which was loud). There were two pools - a quieter pool and a louder pool. Both had groups of people smoking at the swim-up bar constantly throughout the day. The beach was not super nice, but it was okay. Most of the staff were very nice and helpful, though the bar staff seemed to get annoyed with customers at times. There were a few all-inclusive restaurants at the resort and they were all pretty good. Selection of free alcohol was pretty good as well. The tipping policy at Sandels was nice - they strictly forbid tips. Scuba diving also would have been free so there was much more included in the all-inclusive than at some all-inclusives. (We did tip for massages and trips that we took off of the resort). Wi-fi access was $40 for a week which was nice (though service was a bit spotty). There were 2 other Sandels resorts nearby - Le Toc and Grande. There were free shuttles every couple of hours to the other resorts and we could eat and drink at them for free as well. We really liked the Le Toc grounds, beach and restaurants so we spent a couple of days there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erika L
United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just returned from a second holiday at Sandals Halcyon Beach and enjoyed it just as much as the first visit. The Staff seemed to genuinely remember us and were just as happy and helpful as before. The wine waiters though let it down but with 'nagging' you do eventually get served. New additions were the fire pits with comfortable seating around and the terrace furniture had been updated. Rained every day but didn't interfere with our holiday and if you could sit it out, it didn't last long. Halcyon Beach is definitely the most friendliest of the three hotels. Visit La Toc and the Grande for a change of scene and a meal and see the differences. For the best Italian restaurant visit Mario's at the Halcyon. We tried to get into the Kimono at La Toc but that was fully booked. However a Kimono restaurant is currently being built at the Halcyon. Our room although near the road wasn't noisy and was comfortable and clean. Glad we went back and many thanks to Dean on the Soon Come Back Team for his help and booking the car back to the airport. Also to Agnes, Celine, Sheena, Stefano and David et al. Amanda, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms around the Paradise pool do not seem as dim as the others.
1 Thank cyon17
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed January 19, 2013

So first of all forget all of these negative reviews. This place is incredible! It was beautiful and the staff was awesome. We got private transfers from the airport to the hotel and it was well worth it! Once we got to the resort we were well informed of where everything was and how it all worked. It was super quite and relaxing. The other two resorts were nice, but really loud with a party atmosphere which was not what we were looking for our honeymoon. The food was really good, our favorite was the La Toc french resturaunt at the La Toc resort. It was one of the best meals I have ever had! Our favorite excursion was the buggies. This is not something that I would usually do but my new husband insisted. It turned out to be the highlight of our trip. We toured the island in our own go cart like buggy (with a guide) stopping at a little bakery, the volcano and an cute little bistro in the mountains with a view of the pitons. The snuba was also really good. The most romantic part of our trip was our candle light dinner on the beach. It is a must do while staying at Sandals!! It was great being able to relax and not worry about money or tipping. I would highly recommend this trip for people in love who really want to get away and relax in paradise!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I loved this vacation! I was nervous that we were staying at the smallest of the resorts on the island but it turned out to be wonderful. We were at Halcyon for 7 nights and La Toc for 3 nights and I have to admit that I loved Halcyon more. Ruth, the manager at the reception desk, helped us extend our stay by calling the La Toc to make room arrangements and helping us reach our airlines to change our flight departure date. Ruth is awesome.

My husband and I left St. Lucia dive certified thanks to Martin and Barney. I was very nervous and those 2 guys took extra care of me and helped me get comfortable learning how to dive. Thank you to the entire Sandals Dive Team!

This was our first year attending the dinner for returning couples to Sandals Resorts and it was a great time. I really like to meet all of the managers of the property to see the people who make it all happen. Thank you Mr. Clarke!

And yes we are already booked for Jamaica next January. We are excited to meet the dive team there!

Room Tip: We were in 605 by the quiet pool and close to the gym. It was perfect.
4 Thank ks101

4. Inside/Rooms
5. Transfer tips
6. If you go: consider…
and photos.

OVERALL: We had the most relaxing time ever. It really is paradise. You don’t have to worry about a thing: food, money, tips, carrying a purse, crime, etc. We loved our room (honeymoon beachfront walkout concierge room 134) and spent most of our time on our patio reading. Food was about a 100 foot walk to your right and 200 feet to your left. We heard the surf all night and delighted in the birds and nature sounds. The room was bigger than we expected, based on the photos and TripAdvisor reviews, expect a little cottage not anaything like a large suite at a modern hotel. It was “beach style eclectic” and we were quite comfortable with our room. After traveling for a total of two days to get there, we felt immediately relieved and relaxed to sit outside on our patio and look at the ocean. After a few days we couldn’t understand why anyone would have anything negative to say about this place but we figured it out. We are happy with our trip, the choices we made, the length of the stay (9 nights), the location, etc.
I’m posting several photos to illustrate my review.

WHAT IT'S NOT: The beach isn’t as large as the photos lead you to believe. In reality the beach extends north, but if you leave the property you will find a public park with trailers on it, and another resort further. We didn’t feel like we could take a long walk on the beach at all. The south side of the beach, it ends at the beach bistro (look for the thatched hut gazebo in the brochure) and then there’s a seawall. On the brochure/website photo of the Pier restaurant from the air, what you see of the beach is what you get, with just a little further to the left.
For concierge level, there is no “in room continental breakfast” even though that’s what it says on the website under room amenities. If you ask, and I did twice, the second time, I was told I would have a honeymoon breakfast ONCE. Any of the photos you see of a tablecloth and breakfast on the table on your balcony are either staged, or maybe the butler level service (for about $2,000 more) has that. There is a coffee and tea pot, but that’s it. So if you want something to eat within an hour and a half of getting up you’re going to have to go to the buffet.
Take-out to your room: My travel agent assured me that this was available. In reality it’s awkward. You can’t just go up to the hostess and say I want two steak dinners to go. You can't call and ask for anything (unless you pay the butler level for the entire stay) You have to go there and order off a menu and wait. They say they don’t have to-go containers, they have “plates”. I got the feeling when I ordered that this was an inconvenience, but the reward of eating on your patio privately is worth it. So don't be shy about it.
Unlimitted premium drinks for concierge level guests don’t exist. The liquor is not top-shelf, mostly made in Guyana. We asked for a bottle of Schmirnoff and were told they don’t have that. We would be given ONE premium bottle (Absolute), and after that, the premium brands were $40 on up. So yes, you could get top-shelf but you’d have to pay more. Not at all the way Sandals advertises. The Beringer wines were ok, Stone Cellars brand which certainly isn't premium Beringer! But ok.
Sandals Lounge at the airport: There was bottled water available, one staff person, we weren’t offered anything else nor did I see any champayne.

PLUSSES:
1. It is absolutely beautiful, in fact, I thought it was more beautiful in person.
2. We were always able to find a covered cabana, chairs by the pool, gazebo, swing, etc. to lounge in. Three of the days we spent some time in the daybeds and were happy to be there. I emphasize this because of all the reviews we had read, and the fact that we were there during high season (Christmas to New Year’s week), we were afraid we’d not be able to get a cabana. The Butler level guests do have someone put their towels and books out for them (I saw this). And if you go to the Grande, the only cabanas you can get are either reserved or you have to pay for (there was a sign on each cabana saying: reserved for Mr. & Mrs._____). But not at the Halcyon.
3. The food at the Bayside was way better than we were expecting. The steaks were good on steak night, and the Indian food and Jamaican food was delicious. The spicy creole tuna was a treat. And by the time you ordered an appetizer and soup at the Pier restaurant, I had trouble finishing my filet mignon. Other guests have posted extensively about food so I won’t spend more time on that. Don’t be afraid to go fix yourselves a plate of nachos at the Beach Bistro at 10:30 at night. And their cheeseburgers were surprisingly better than we expected! Any mixed drinks we had you might as well just consider them to be a smoothy.
4. With concierge level, you will always have access to bottled water, juices, and alcohol, which otherwise you’d have to leave your room to get. I didn’t see any bottled water available on site, heard a guest ask for it at the front desk but I don't think they got anything.
5. You can pretty much do anything you want to all day long. We did do a private couples tour of the island because I wanted to see St. Lucia, and I was taking a class about visiting a Tropical Rainforest but in reality we spent 6 hours in a car on "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" and a few minutes at about 5 stops outside. We were happy hanging out at the Halcyon and didn't feel the need to spend a lot of money and/or time outside doing thrillrides. There's plenty to do that's all-inclusive.
6. Free weddings are a great value for just a couple or small group.

INSIDE:
We were happy with our room. Someone had commented that the rooms were dark, and yes, there were only two lights by the bed, a sunlamp in the bathroom, and lights over the vanity. The photos in the brochures must have added a lot of stage lighting. But: the green or blue light on the air conditioner by the ceiling gives off more than enough light at night after you’ve gone to bed. In fact, it lights up the entire room. Bring eyemasks if this is going to bother you.
The chair they show the size of a loveseat didn’t exist. There was no ottoman.
The bathroom had old Spanish style tile, which was fine. But nothing like the marble countertops and modern bathroom you see in the brochure.
To turn on the tv, you have to find the switch under the left side of the frame. And we had to put our own batteries in the remote. Also, we brought our own DVD but it would not hook up to the tv.
If you leave the windows open at night, the sounds of the ocean and treefrogs will probably keep you from sleeping. Sometime around 3am the frogs must go to sleep themselves. I brought earplugs and could still hear them. I'm not complaining but reporting. We love nature.
They put an umbrella in the room for your use. When it rains, it doesn’t seem to last more than a few minutes but it was nice to have when leaving the room.
Our room was the first room in the last row before the restaurants, and almost every single guest had to walk by for all their meals. It seemed that many of the employees did too. The morning after tours walked right past our room around 10 and 11 am each day. Considering we loved our botanically trimmed patio, we didn’t mind much.
The lamp that lights the pathway did shine in our room everynight, all night. If I went again I’d get the same room, figure out how to keep the light from shining in the glass/curtain on the door. The curtains for the windows were just fine.
If you want your room cleaned before 3-5pm, you need to take charge of the situation. You can call concierge and request a specific time everyday, or on days when you know you will be out during certain hours, you can catch your housekeeper (not far from your room block) and request this.

TRANSFER TIPS:
I highly recommend private VIP transfers. Sandals charges $140 per couple each way, but we found SerenityVacations&Tours through TripAdvisor and it was only $95 coming and $85 going. You will have a guide meet you at the door to the Sandals lounge. They loaded your luggage. No crowds or worrying about being shoved into a van with strangers. They provided water, rum punch, beer, juice, and even stopped at a roadside bakery and treated us to freshly made bread with butter and melted cheese! They stop in Dennery, about halfway there, and take a scenic photo of you. After having read all the reviews at TripAdvisor about the Sandals shuttles, I was pleased with our choices. One thing no one said that I gathered at the end, you can ask for a boxed lunch for the last day. If you leave at 11:30 and your flight isn’t until 4pm, you’re on your own for airport food. Also, while Sandals guests had to catch the shuttles by 11:30, we arranged to stay later at the resort. Our plane didn't leave until after 4pm and we didn't want to spend 3 hours at the airport.

IF YOU GO:
1. Consider the location of your room. Study the map of the property. Figure out how close to, or far away from, crowds you want to be. If you see the little white path in front of your room, people will be walking by. If you want more privacy, consider asking for the blocks of rooms on the other side of the Pier restaurant. I think the two blocks of 13 by the Beach Bistro/gazebo are perfect.
2. Do you want a private patio/balcony, or not? Consider your lifestyle and room choices. None of the rooms by the Paradise Pool have any privacy outside. The two story blocks have balconies and patios, but I don't think you can get concierge service with them.
3. Consider upgrading to Concierge Level if you are in the habit of drinking bottled water/beverages all day and/or if you are a drinker (of alcohol). We really could put in a request for more chardonnay and champayne on a daily basis. On the other hand, if you’re trying to save money, if you leave the property, almost across the “highway” is a local grocery store. There’s a walkway over the road. You could just take a couple of walks with a rolling cart and stock up yourselves. I have no idea what anything costs to buy in St. Lucia grocery stores.
4. Souvenirs: You can find just about everything at the airport at reasonable prices. I wish I would have just waited and bought things there, and made it an additional carry-on. Also, the Sandals gift shop has musical instruments for $5.99 that make great gifts.
5. Don’t overpack your “just in case” items. There’s a nurse on hand for free from 9-5. The other gift shop has medical items. Yes bring your bug spray, but we ended up leaving the two containers of sunscreen and many other items you’re led to believe you might need. Do pack sleeping meds.
6. Do your research. You can email TripAdvisor reviewers and the 6 times I did, I got extensive information within a week. Don’t bother emailing the hotel, they don’t respond. And your travel agent, at best if they’ve toured the property will be able to only answer about half your questions.

Feel free to email me with any questions. I’d be happy to answer.

I can’t stress enough what a wonderful time we had. And how beautiful this place is. We absolutely hated the local vendors barking at us everytime we walked the beach, or even the path to the restaurants or path along the beach. “Hey princess!” “When you gunna talk to me?” etc. etc. Almost every little wooden hut on the beach is occupied by them most of the day. This, along with I got bit by something in the middle of the night and the left side of my tongue swelled up maybe six times the size? requiring a visit from the doctor ($). But hey, to have cheeseburgers in paradise with the love of your life is priceless and unforgettable! :)

I just spent half an hour uploading photos but not sure they are going to appear.

Room Tip: Study the map on the website. Read where each room level is located. If you want less traffic, consi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank KWoodson
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had a great time on out trip. We stayed the week of January 6. When we arrived at the airport, we were brought into a Sandals room where they were offering beverages and there was a restroom and couches while you waited for your shuttle. The shuttle ride was not bad at all, and this is coming from someone who freaks out about being stuck in a bus for too long on windy roads! First off- it's a van with seatbelts that sits about 3-4 couples, and has air. They have 1 stop along the way where you can go to the bathroom (for $1!) and take pictures of a beautiful ocean view. The roads really aren't that bad, and it's a fabulous way to get an island tour in, because you see some true island towns!

Once you arrive at Sandals, you are greeted with champagne, fill out some paperwork and are taken to your room. Our room was fabulous- room 417. Somehow we got upgraded and our room was right next to the ocean with a beautiful view! The resort is older, no doubt. It was definitely a bit run down in places and that was noticeable. But if your read reviews, you know what you are getting yourself into. The housekeepers were great- always cleaned up our messes, and the bed was nice and big. The tv kind of sucked though- not the best reception, but you really aren't there to watch tv.

Little things- they take care of you if you get sick. I got an infection and they arranged to have a doctor come to my room with medication in hand, so that was a relief, because who likes to get sick in another country! Another thing- if you can, shop at the markets in town. The Sandals store is very expensive- especially for things like sunscreen or medicine or clothes.

Restaurants- Service is a little slow in every restaurant, but we figured out that we had to deal with "island time." But it's not that slow compared to most restaurants in the US, they get you in and out pretty quickly- and we never had a wait at any of the restaurants once. We stayed on our resort the whole time, because we were content with it, so this is for those eateries. The Pier was delicious and just a romantic ambiance. Mario's was good, but a bit stuffy. And Bayside was good too and fun because it's outside so you hear the waves crashing, and you can feed the cats- which my fiance and I did multiple times! And the other bar/outdoor snack area was good too for lunches. The drinks were really good, but if you are trying to get a buzz or drunk, you will have to order a lot, because they don't put a ton of alcohol in them.

The pools were really nice, it was hard to find beach towels sometimes- but if you asked a worker, you got one. And you do have to figure out the best times to grab a chair. The beach wasn't that crowded when we went- but you have to go early or wait till afternoon to get a chair. It is a smaller beach, but still very nice and pretty, and the water was like bath water! Take advantage of the water sports too- water skiing, kayaking.. it was fun! And the spas were great too.

It's definitely a smaller resort, with a more romantic Caribbean feel. Not perfect, but very nice and we left home content, and missing some of the cats :)

Also- definitely book a Joe Knows trip- it was hilarious and SO much fun, a great way to see the island!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!