“Paradise! Plus the pro's & con's and just plain truthful advise.”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Crestline
“Paradise! Plus the pro's & con's and just plain truthful advise.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

4. Inside/Rooms
5. Transfer tips
6. If you go: consider…
and photos.

OVERALL: We had the most relaxing time ever. It really is paradise. You don’t have to worry about a thing: food, money, tips, carrying a purse, crime, etc. We loved our room (honeymoon beachfront walkout concierge room 134) and spent most of our time on our patio reading. Food was about a 100 foot walk to your right and 200 feet to your left. We heard the surf all night and delighted in the birds and nature sounds. The room was bigger than we expected, based on the photos and TripAdvisor reviews, expect a little cottage not anaything like a large suite at a modern hotel. It was “beach style eclectic” and we were quite comfortable with our room. After traveling for a total of two days to get there, we felt immediately relieved and relaxed to sit outside on our patio and look at the ocean. After a few days we couldn’t understand why anyone would have anything negative to say about this place but we figured it out. We are happy with our trip, the choices we made, the length of the stay (9 nights), the location, etc.
I’m posting several photos to illustrate my review.

WHAT IT'S NOT: The beach isn’t as large as the photos lead you to believe. In reality the beach extends north, but if you leave the property you will find a public park with trailers on it, and another resort further. We didn’t feel like we could take a long walk on the beach at all. The south side of the beach, it ends at the beach bistro (look for the thatched hut gazebo in the brochure) and then there’s a seawall. On the brochure/website photo of the Pier restaurant from the air, what you see of the beach is what you get, with just a little further to the left.
For concierge level, there is no “in room continental breakfast” even though that’s what it says on the website under room amenities. If you ask, and I did twice, the second time, I was told I would have a honeymoon breakfast ONCE. Any of the photos you see of a tablecloth and breakfast on the table on your balcony are either staged, or maybe the butler level service (for about $2,000 more) has that. There is a coffee and tea pot, but that’s it. So if you want something to eat within an hour and a half of getting up you’re going to have to go to the buffet.
Take-out to your room: My travel agent assured me that this was available. In reality it’s awkward. You can’t just go up to the hostess and say I want two steak dinners to go. You can't call and ask for anything (unless you pay the butler level for the entire stay) You have to go there and order off a menu and wait. They say they don’t have to-go containers, they have “plates”. I got the feeling when I ordered that this was an inconvenience, but the reward of eating on your patio privately is worth it. So don't be shy about it.
Unlimitted premium drinks for concierge level guests don’t exist. The liquor is not top-shelf, mostly made in Guyana. We asked for a bottle of Schmirnoff and were told they don’t have that. We would be given ONE premium bottle (Absolute), and after that, the premium brands were $40 on up. So yes, you could get top-shelf but you’d have to pay more. Not at all the way Sandals advertises. The Beringer wines were ok, Stone Cellars brand which certainly isn't premium Beringer! But ok.
Sandals Lounge at the airport: There was bottled water available, one staff person, we weren’t offered anything else nor did I see any champayne.

PLUSSES:
1. It is absolutely beautiful, in fact, I thought it was more beautiful in person.
2. We were always able to find a covered cabana, chairs by the pool, gazebo, swing, etc. to lounge in. Three of the days we spent some time in the daybeds and were happy to be there. I emphasize this because of all the reviews we had read, and the fact that we were there during high season (Christmas to New Year’s week), we were afraid we’d not be able to get a cabana. The Butler level guests do have someone put their towels and books out for them (I saw this). And if you go to the Grande, the only cabanas you can get are either reserved or you have to pay for (there was a sign on each cabana saying: reserved for Mr. & Mrs._____). But not at the Halcyon.
3. The food at the Bayside was way better than we were expecting. The steaks were good on steak night, and the Indian food and Jamaican food was delicious. The spicy creole tuna was a treat. And by the time you ordered an appetizer and soup at the Pier restaurant, I had trouble finishing my filet mignon. Other guests have posted extensively about food so I won’t spend more time on that. Don’t be afraid to go fix yourselves a plate of nachos at the Beach Bistro at 10:30 at night. And their cheeseburgers were surprisingly better than we expected! Any mixed drinks we had you might as well just consider them to be a smoothy.
4. With concierge level, you will always have access to bottled water, juices, and alcohol, which otherwise you’d have to leave your room to get. I didn’t see any bottled water available on site, heard a guest ask for it at the front desk but I don't think they got anything.
5. You can pretty much do anything you want to all day long. We did do a private couples tour of the island because I wanted to see St. Lucia, and I was taking a class about visiting a Tropical Rainforest but in reality we spent 6 hours in a car on "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" and a few minutes at about 5 stops outside. We were happy hanging out at the Halcyon and didn't feel the need to spend a lot of money and/or time outside doing thrillrides. There's plenty to do that's all-inclusive.
6. Free weddings are a great value for just a couple or small group.

INSIDE:
We were happy with our room. Someone had commented that the rooms were dark, and yes, there were only two lights by the bed, a sunlamp in the bathroom, and lights over the vanity. The photos in the brochures must have added a lot of stage lighting. But: the green or blue light on the air conditioner by the ceiling gives off more than enough light at night after you’ve gone to bed. In fact, it lights up the entire room. Bring eyemasks if this is going to bother you.
The chair they show the size of a loveseat didn’t exist. There was no ottoman.
The bathroom had old Spanish style tile, which was fine. But nothing like the marble countertops and modern bathroom you see in the brochure.
To turn on the tv, you have to find the switch under the left side of the frame. And we had to put our own batteries in the remote. Also, we brought our own DVD but it would not hook up to the tv.
If you leave the windows open at night, the sounds of the ocean and treefrogs will probably keep you from sleeping. Sometime around 3am the frogs must go to sleep themselves. I brought earplugs and could still hear them. I'm not complaining but reporting. We love nature.
They put an umbrella in the room for your use. When it rains, it doesn’t seem to last more than a few minutes but it was nice to have when leaving the room.
Our room was the first room in the last row before the restaurants, and almost every single guest had to walk by for all their meals. It seemed that many of the employees did too. The morning after tours walked right past our room around 10 and 11 am each day. Considering we loved our botanically trimmed patio, we didn’t mind much.
The lamp that lights the pathway did shine in our room everynight, all night. If I went again I’d get the same room, figure out how to keep the light from shining in the glass/curtain on the door. The curtains for the windows were just fine.
If you want your room cleaned before 3-5pm, you need to take charge of the situation. You can call concierge and request a specific time everyday, or on days when you know you will be out during certain hours, you can catch your housekeeper (not far from your room block) and request this.

TRANSFER TIPS:
I highly recommend private VIP transfers. Sandals charges $140 per couple each way, but we found SerenityVacations&Tours through TripAdvisor and it was only $95 coming and $85 going. You will have a guide meet you at the door to the Sandals lounge. They loaded your luggage. No crowds or worrying about being shoved into a van with strangers. They provided water, rum punch, beer, juice, and even stopped at a roadside bakery and treated us to freshly made bread with butter and melted cheese! They stop in Dennery, about halfway there, and take a scenic photo of you. After having read all the reviews at TripAdvisor about the Sandals shuttles, I was pleased with our choices. One thing no one said that I gathered at the end, you can ask for a boxed lunch for the last day. If you leave at 11:30 and your flight isn’t until 4pm, you’re on your own for airport food. Also, while Sandals guests had to catch the shuttles by 11:30, we arranged to stay later at the resort. Our plane didn't leave until after 4pm and we didn't want to spend 3 hours at the airport.

IF YOU GO:
1. Consider the location of your room. Study the map of the property. Figure out how close to, or far away from, crowds you want to be. If you see the little white path in front of your room, people will be walking by. If you want more privacy, consider asking for the blocks of rooms on the other side of the Pier restaurant. I think the two blocks of 13 by the Beach Bistro/gazebo are perfect.
2. Do you want a private patio/balcony, or not? Consider your lifestyle and room choices. None of the rooms by the Paradise Pool have any privacy outside. The two story blocks have balconies and patios, but I don't think you can get concierge service with them.
3. Consider upgrading to Concierge Level if you are in the habit of drinking bottled water/beverages all day and/or if you are a drinker (of alcohol). We really could put in a request for more chardonnay and champayne on a daily basis. On the other hand, if you’re trying to save money, if you leave the property, almost across the “highway” is a local grocery store. There’s a walkway over the road. You could just take a couple of walks with a rolling cart and stock up yourselves. I have no idea what anything costs to buy in St. Lucia grocery stores.
4. Souvenirs: You can find just about everything at the airport at reasonable prices. I wish I would have just waited and bought things there, and made it an additional carry-on. Also, the Sandals gift shop has musical instruments for $5.99 that make great gifts.
5. Don’t overpack your “just in case” items. There’s a nurse on hand for free from 9-5. The other gift shop has medical items. Yes bring your bug spray, but we ended up leaving the two containers of sunscreen and many other items you’re led to believe you might need. Do pack sleeping meds.
6. Do your research. You can email TripAdvisor reviewers and the 6 times I did, I got extensive information within a week. Don’t bother emailing the hotel, they don’t respond. And your travel agent, at best if they’ve toured the property will be able to only answer about half your questions.

Feel free to email me with any questions. I’d be happy to answer.

I can’t stress enough what a wonderful time we had. And how beautiful this place is. We absolutely hated the local vendors barking at us everytime we walked the beach, or even the path to the restaurants or path along the beach. “Hey princess!” “When you gunna talk to me?” etc. etc. Almost every little wooden hut on the beach is occupied by them most of the day. This, along with I got bit by something in the middle of the night and the left side of my tongue swelled up maybe six times the size? requiring a visit from the doctor ($). But hey, to have cheeseburgers in paradise with the love of your life is priceless and unforgettable! :)

I just spent half an hour uploading photos but not sure they are going to appear.

Room Tip: Study the map on the website. Read where each room level is located. If you want less traffic, consi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank KWoodson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
  • Slovak first
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had a great time on out trip. We stayed the week of January 6. When we arrived at the airport, we were brought into a Sandals room where they were offering beverages and there was a restroom and couches while you waited for your shuttle. The shuttle ride was not bad at all, and this is coming from someone who freaks out about being stuck in a bus for too long on windy roads! First off- it's a van with seatbelts that sits about 3-4 couples, and has air. They have 1 stop along the way where you can go to the bathroom (for $1!) and take pictures of a beautiful ocean view. The roads really aren't that bad, and it's a fabulous way to get an island tour in, because you see some true island towns!

Once you arrive at Sandals, you are greeted with champagne, fill out some paperwork and are taken to your room. Our room was fabulous- room 417. Somehow we got upgraded and our room was right next to the ocean with a beautiful view! The resort is older, no doubt. It was definitely a bit run down in places and that was noticeable. But if your read reviews, you know what you are getting yourself into. The housekeepers were great- always cleaned up our messes, and the bed was nice and big. The tv kind of sucked though- not the best reception, but you really aren't there to watch tv.

Little things- they take care of you if you get sick. I got an infection and they arranged to have a doctor come to my room with medication in hand, so that was a relief, because who likes to get sick in another country! Another thing- if you can, shop at the markets in town. The Sandals store is very expensive- especially for things like sunscreen or medicine or clothes.

Restaurants- Service is a little slow in every restaurant, but we figured out that we had to deal with "island time." But it's not that slow compared to most restaurants in the US, they get you in and out pretty quickly- and we never had a wait at any of the restaurants once. We stayed on our resort the whole time, because we were content with it, so this is for those eateries. The Pier was delicious and just a romantic ambiance. Mario's was good, but a bit stuffy. And Bayside was good too and fun because it's outside so you hear the waves crashing, and you can feed the cats- which my fiance and I did multiple times! And the other bar/outdoor snack area was good too for lunches. The drinks were really good, but if you are trying to get a buzz or drunk, you will have to order a lot, because they don't put a ton of alcohol in them.

The pools were really nice, it was hard to find beach towels sometimes- but if you asked a worker, you got one. And you do have to figure out the best times to grab a chair. The beach wasn't that crowded when we went- but you have to go early or wait till afternoon to get a chair. It is a smaller beach, but still very nice and pretty, and the water was like bath water! Take advantage of the water sports too- water skiing, kayaking.. it was fun! And the spas were great too.

It's definitely a smaller resort, with a more romantic Caribbean feel. Not perfect, but very nice and we left home content, and missing some of the cats :)

Also- definitely book a Joe Knows trip- it was hilarious and SO much fun, a great way to see the island!!

Bristol
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Smallest of the 3 Sandals resorts on St Lucia but centrally situated for free transfers (about every two hours) to dine around or visit at La Toc or the Grand. At Halcyon cuisine is fine at The Pier (see Celina) and Mario's (see Stefano). Bayside very acceptable but on a buffet basis, nevertheless good quality. Butler service comes quite pricey but provides everything you can ask for, although it was a little involved organising a late checkout involving a change of room at 12.30pm. Our only two outside dining experiences were the fine dining on Gordons on the Pier at the Grand (they really should have restroom facilities there! - it's quite a walk past Barefoot on the Beach) - and dinner and excellent french style cuisine at La Toc. We did the Joe Knows tour on the speedboat and bus - it was a good day out with a chance to see and experience a bit more of the island. With butler service (Willard, Silvie and Claudia were ours, most ably overseen by Roland the head butler) dinner reservations can be whenever wherever without any problems, drinks stocked to your order in cooler on beach, reserved beach or pool position to suit your wishes, anything and everything you can drink in your room with mini bar restocked daily and a cell phone to call up any need wherever between 8am and 10pm. Butler beachside room about the same quality as some other available concierge rooms, but ours 134 was about ten paces from the sandy beach - and that was just what we wanted. There is also plenty of room around the pools, one of which is designated a quieter area - the sunset pool. Choose carefully what you like from the brochure or website - always seems there are special offers so it is difficult to see what the real price is - I guess there isn't one! Staff are friendly and help create a family atmosphere at this relatively small Sandals and some relationships especially flourish where personalities dovetail well. Some guests complain that the dress code is not enforced - Sandals are reluctant it seems, to discipline anyone to retain the bed nights. Those hardened drinkers who start at or before 10am are here in small numbers. As the alcohol flows so the noise gets louder - whoever they are on site they are probably best avoided if you are going for a quiet holiday. There were one or two holidaymakers who could double for foghorns should the need arise! Steer a wide berth. Vendors on the beach are not a problem but some days they are numerous. Be friendly, and firm if you must, but they are more about trying to make a living than giving you a hard time. At the time of our visit Jan 2013 the beach was quite narrow on the left of the pier with sand having been dragged out by the tides but there is always room to sit on the sandy beach with lots of space to the right of the pier. Tropical weather here is a mixture of sunshine and (sometimes heavy) showers. The state of the tide varies of course but most days there were waves, sometimes crashing, but the odd day also when the calmness and serenity of the sea matched our own peace through spending time in the warm and friendly Caribbean at Sandals.

Room Tip: 134 as Butler Beachfront is as close as you can get to the beach
2 Thank DavidFBristol
UK
Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the moment our flight landed the hotel took over our every need. Champage on arrival in a Sandalls airport lounge and then a 90 minute transfer, with the driver acting as a tour guide!
The hotel is the smallest of the 3 Sandalls in St Lucia, but has everything that the others provide - just on a smaller scale. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and the bedrooms exceptionally well appointed with a drinks cabinet replenished daily! The Dining staff, although lovely, do need more organising as they tend to forget your request and get caught up in the next ommission before resolving yours. However, if you adopt a laid back attitude it happens eventually - West Indies style!

Yes the sea is cloudy, but its only sand and there are no Rocks! We swam in it every day and loved it. The Paradise pool was near our room (512) and was exactly that - Paradise.The other pool had loud music continually playing which was a shame for those who had rooms near to it and didnt want music. The Pier restaurant was wonderful, great food, and a painist played all night. The building may be a little tired on the outside, but beautiful on the inside.
If you want BIG and IMPOSING and YOUNG then go to the other resorts, but if you want homely, comfy cosey with friendly staff and a slightly older set of guests - then Halycon is the perfect retreat. The free shuttle between the 3 means that you can have the best of both worlds anyway.

Room Tip: 512 is on the first floor and looked on to Paradise Pool, which is the quieter of the 2 pools .
4 Thank BNL55
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our first 'fully inclusive' trip to the eastern Caribbean and we found the experience most relaxing. 12 night stay over Christmas/New Year with plenty of entertainment and an excellent New Year Gala buffet/dinner. New Year brought in by a very impressive firework display. Shame some of the guests couldn't be bothered to observe the easy dress code for such an event!! It's a couples only resort, which we recommend! All the Staff were extremely helpful, polite and efficient, making our stay most enjoyable. Downsides to the resort are the extremely high charges, 43 U.S. dollars for seven days use of Wi-Fi, or almost 15 U.S. dollars if you pay per day, bitten to bits by mosquitoes, requiring medical advice, and a very limited choice of wines on the inclusive side of meals rather than purchasing from a wine list proffered by the Sommeliers. Inclusive wines were the same all stay, namely Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot for reds and Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, served by the glass. Not much variety! We recommend the day trip on a speedboat to The Pitons operated by 'Joe Knows', bookable at the desk in the foyer. A great 'fun' day out with much effort and entertainment provided by the crew. All in all a very worthwhile, relaxing, trip to St Lucia.

Room Tip: We were about as far away from the restaurants and facilities as you could get but great to have the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the hotel and have another week to go, the staff are friendly, helpful and always smiling.We are situated between the La Toc and The Grande hotels with buses every 2 hours.The beach at The Grande is the best so arrive early as this beach is very desirable !
I have only one major complaint to make and that is about the smoking policy, I understand the bar areas are outside and so are some of the restaurants but whilst smoking is not banned in public areas SANDALS should ask guests to refrain from smoking whilst other guest are eating and not sit at the bar smoking !! This isn't fair for guest, guest with ill health and staff who DO NOT smoke and have to inhale other peoples smoke. Come on SANDALS get with the 21st century !
If Sandals changed there policy's we would return but as it stands we won't return due to the smoking, this is a shame as the staff are so friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Vickie A
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just back after a week here at what is advertised as a luxury first class holiday destination, both my partner and I expected more, service was poor, the resort is in need of a lick of paint, the pier resturant in particular is very shabby from the outside, the water is not clear and the sand is not white, the brochure shows different, the dress code is far too relaxed, evening dinner is advertised as shirts, closed toe shoes etc this is not adhered to at all except in Mario's Italian. Not worth the money at all. House keeping was also very inconsistant room not cleaned properly on some days, fridge not re-filled with water and fresh juice daily as advised on arrival. Overall very disapointed with this hotel and not worth the money to go again. St Lucia though is lovely and would visit the island again.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms from number 500+ are better quality and in a quiet area of the complex.
4 Thank Swissdibble1
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We're so sorry to read that your stay with us was one you would consider to be average. We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. It seems we did not meet your expectations in quite a few areas of our service. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Thank you for your review. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay with us.

Cassie C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!