We had a great time on out trip. We stayed the week of January 6. When we arrived at the airport, we were brought into a Sandals room where they were offering beverages and there was a restroom and couches while you waited for your shuttle. The shuttle ride was not bad at all, and this is coming from someone who freaks out about being stuck in a bus for too long on windy roads! First off- it's a van with seatbelts that sits about 3-4 couples, and has air. They have 1 stop along the way where you can go to the bathroom (for $1!) and take pictures of a beautiful ocean view. The roads really aren't that bad, and it's a fabulous way to get an island tour in, because you see some true island towns!
Once you arrive at Sandals, you are greeted with champagne, fill out some paperwork and are taken to your room. Our room was fabulous- room 417. Somehow we got upgraded and our room was right next to the ocean with a beautiful view! The resort is older, no doubt. It was definitely a bit run down in places and that was noticeable. But if your read reviews, you know what you are getting yourself into. The housekeepers were great- always cleaned up our messes, and the bed was nice and big. The tv kind of sucked though- not the best reception, but you really aren't there to watch tv.
Little things- they take care of you if you get sick. I got an infection and they arranged to have a doctor come to my room with medication in hand, so that was a relief, because who likes to get sick in another country! Another thing- if you can, shop at the markets in town. The Sandals store is very expensive- especially for things like sunscreen or medicine or clothes.
Restaurants- Service is a little slow in every restaurant, but we figured out that we had to deal with "island time." But it's not that slow compared to most restaurants in the US, they get you in and out pretty quickly- and we never had a wait at any of the restaurants once. We stayed on our resort the whole time, because we were content with it, so this is for those eateries. The Pier was delicious and just a romantic ambiance. Mario's was good, but a bit stuffy. And Bayside was good too and fun because it's outside so you hear the waves crashing, and you can feed the cats- which my fiance and I did multiple times! And the other bar/outdoor snack area was good too for lunches. The drinks were really good, but if you are trying to get a buzz or drunk, you will have to order a lot, because they don't put a ton of alcohol in them.
The pools were really nice, it was hard to find beach towels sometimes- but if you asked a worker, you got one. And you do have to figure out the best times to grab a chair. The beach wasn't that crowded when we went- but you have to go early or wait till afternoon to get a chair. It is a smaller beach, but still very nice and pretty, and the water was like bath water! Take advantage of the water sports too- water skiing, kayaking.. it was fun! And the spas were great too.
It's definitely a smaller resort, with a more romantic Caribbean feel. Not perfect, but very nice and we left home content, and missing some of the cats :)
Also- definitely book a Joe Knows trip- it was hilarious and SO much fun, a great way to see the island!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries