“Great fun with friends in St. Lucia”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just returned last night from a week's stay at the Sandals Halcyon, St. Lucia. When we arrived in St. Lucia, we were directed to the Sandals Lounge at the airport to wait for the shuttle. We were offered water or coffee (most of us were hoping for something a bit stronger), while we waited. We were a group of 13 so they called another shuttle and got us all together. The ride was about an hour forty and very scenic. We arrived at the lobby and were given cold lemon scented towels to help refresh after a long travel day. Check-in was easy, the staff being courteous and helpful. Our room was 710 (back building close to the road). The accommodations were comfortable, clean, and well equipped with stocked frig (no booze, juice & water), hairdryer, coffee maker, nice patio with drying rack, shampoo, lotions, flatscreen tv, etc... You can hear the road noise and there are often barking dogs. I am a sound sleeper, but my husband was often awakened. (try to get a room in unit 1 - 5 closer to beach away from road, avoid 6, 7 & 8) This resort is right on a busy road, literally a stone's throw. We were all very hungry and went to Bayside to eat around 7 the first night. When we arrived and said we were a party of 13 they seemed shocked, like they had never seen more than a group of 2 or 4. They were not very friendly and found us two tables, one of 7 and one of 6. BTW, there were MANY tables available, it wasn't like they were booked. We wanted to make reservations at Marios, The Pier and Kimonos so we did that the night we arrived. We were glad we did, because some people we talked to couldn't get reservations at all, or it was difficult. We had a bit of a hard time, but we said our group would be split up, and Shatal at the front desk helped us out and got us into the places we wanted to try. Marios, The Pier and Kimonos were excellent! We were so glad we got to try them all. Stefano at Marios was so accommodating and what a great host he was! We went to the Grande because we wanted to visit Fort Rodney on Pigeon Island and hike up the big hill. Glad we did, because the views are incredible. The gate to the park is literally a 3 minute walk from the Sandals beach. 4 in our group parasailed from the Grande and loved it! We ate lunch at the Grande at Barefoot and it's the kind of place you can just sit at a picnic table, eat, drink all day and watch the water, the people, the views, etc... A really relaxed place. We also went to the Grande one night for dinner at the English Pub. Kathryn the hostess was so friendly. Unlike some other places when we said we were 13 and they would look at us as though we had two heads, she welcomed us and quickly put tables together for all of us. Good pub grub and Newcastle, Guinness, & Bass on tap. We hung out and played billiards before catching the shuttle at 11PM. Only time to Le Toc was for reservations at Kimonos. Had some time before dinner and caught a great local dance troupe, fire eaters, fire limbo, etc... Le Toc is very hilly and poeple shuttle all over the resort. The Halcyon resort is very small and intimate, but still a lot of fun with Playmakers arranging activities like pool volleyball, beach volleyball, bingo, shuffle board, etc... There are two pools, one more lively than the other, but both with comfy chairs and bars. You can walk from one end of the resort to the other in about 5 minutes. The units are two stories and have a very cottage like feel to them. We really liked this. No elevators, stairs, long hallways, or highrises. Lots of couples, so if you're a big group the Grande might suit you better as it is much bigger, louder, lots going on, more choice for food, entertainment, etc... We rented a half day catamaran charter through Bateau Mygo and this was probably the highlight of our trip. Great cruise from Marigot Bay to the Petons and back. Check out my review for Bateau Mygo if you want more info. The beach at Halcyon is nice, but the Grande is much nicer. We took a snorkeling trip with Sandals and it was nice. They offer snorkeling, scuba, waterskiing, hobie cats, etc... It was nice it was included. When you snorkel or scuba, they shuttle you to a marina nearby and go out on a big Sandals boat. About 20-25 people on board. The snorkeling was just OK, much better in Belize and Aruba were I have also done it. All and all this resort and this trip was great! I definitely recommend Sandals as the price was good, and the fact that you are not dishing out tips left, right and center saves hundreds. The staff was good, the resort clean, the weather was fantastic!! and we had an amazing trip with 13 great friends! When asked if we were celebrating a wedding, anniversary, b day, etc... We said we were celebrating 200 years of friendship! Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Avoid units 6, 7, 8 if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amy M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,854)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely 6 day honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon Beach in late November and had an amazing time. The staff was extraordinarily helpful and the amenities were downright gorgeous. The setting was much more private and quiet than Sandals La Toc and Grande (also on St. Lucia), but we did take the free shuttle to both for reggae dancing and beach days. It was apparently the tail end of the rainy season, but we saw sunny skies and 87 degree weather the whole time.

We decided to use the Sandals Registry, so our guests paid for several excursions for us, including Hiking the Pitons, Rainforest Canopy Zip lining, a day trip to Martinique, and a Sunset Party Cruise. We enjoyed all of them, but you have to do the hike if you are adventurous and in good shape - amazing views!

We are hoping to go back for our first anniversary and many more!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a concierge room, which helped us plan our excursions and kept our room bar fully sto...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon here, and had the time of our lives! This place is perfect for getting away and relaxing. The playmakers were amazing at getting people together to participate in events and made it feel like a small community. Angel makes the best drinks on the resort, and Everton and Eslyn are wonderful playmakers that put their best foot forward to ensure that you have a wonderful time. If you want to go sit on the beach and drink all day, you can. If you like water sports, you have plenty of choices to choose from. The food was outstanding, and all the staff seem to truly love their jobs. I recommend choosing Joe Knows for the excursion; try the volcano mud bath and waterfall adventure.We have zero regrets about coming here, and plan to come back again as soon as we can.

4  Thank Christine P
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Halcyon St Lucia in April 2012 for 5 days. It was our first stay at a Sandals resort after two other All-inclusive vacations. Our first All-inclusive was the Occidental Grand in Aruba, which was amazing, for our honeymoon, and then we went to the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton in Jamaica with another couple 6 months later which was also great, so we had high expectations for such a well known name brand. And I have to say, it was very nice. We were there for the week of my birthday, so they treated us extra special - they left us cake and champage on my birthday and two adorable birthday cards that I still have (nearly 9 months later). Kevin, one of the bartenders was amazing. We followed him around most of the time because he was so friendly and helpful. We also loved the Piano Bar where we hung out a few nights. I can't remember the woman's name that was one of the Tour Guides, but she was hilarious. She was one of the Entertainment staff, and she had us cracking up 98% of the time. The back pool is wonderful - it's away from the entertainment and quiet which is really nice and it was really close to our room, so it was convenient. The main pool was great if you were in the mood for games and live music, and it has two bars close together for equal convenience. All of the food was great. We loved the buffet and all of the restaurants at Halcyon. It's definitely the smallest of the three Sandals in St. Lucia, but that's why we liked it so much! We did go to La Toc and The Grande for dinner on two separate occasions, which was awesome! We went to the Hibachi place Kimono at La Toc, which is a hike so get there early! And the food was incredible!! The chef was funny and the other couples we sat with were great. We also went to the Grande for Toscanini's - amazing!! It was really humid at the Grande, but the food was so worth it! You have to make reservations for Kimono and Toscanini's so plan accordingly. It's also about 15-20 minutes to get to either resort, so you need to make sure you don't double book yourself! We did one excursion while we were there and it was the best one - Joe Knows! Tour. It was awesome!! The crew (all three of them) were amazing and hilarious. They showed us a great time and made sure we had fun! I will absolutely go on that tour again! You get to see so many wonderful things - make sure you book it! I believe Simon Says is their competition at one of the other resorts, but it's the same difference, just a different company and I heard equally good things about them (but don't tell Joe I said that!). Additionally, the food was wonderful at Halcyon. We loved the Pavilion (which I think is now called Kelly's Dockside based on the Sandals website) and Mario's for the main two restaurants, and also loved the Beach Bistro and Bayside for the casual dining. They had a Jamaican night one night at the Bayside which was unbelieveable! And the Beach Bistro was open until 2:30/3:00 which was great one night when we partied with two other couples and were very excited for late night nachos! One thing you should beware of if you are not a cat person (I am, so I loved it - my husband had to stop me from taking kittens home in my suitcase) - there are a ton of cats at this resort. They are adorable and the sweetest little things. They won't bother you if you don't feed them, so I recommend you don't feed them if you don't want them hanging around. The staff shoo them away if they get inside (it was really only Bayside and Beach Bistro that they tried), but if the other guests are feeding them they will hang around. Like I said, I loved it! I couldn't resist donating a few pieces of chicken throughout the week, so I'm guilty! Overall, we had a really nice time at this resort. I can't remember the exact name of the one drink we had - I think it was the BBC? Baily's, Banana and Cream? I don't remember, but it was sooo delicious! I'm sure other reviews mention it as well. Oh last but not least - the rooms were very nice. We received great service while there and tips were refused, no matter how hard we tried! The staff simply will not take them, and they deserved them so I was bummed I couldn't give them what they deserved! However, in exchange, though super late, I offer this review to those of you contemplating a trip to St. Lucia. We really loved the Halcyon and will absolutely visit again should we decide to visit St. Lucia again. One final note - do the Helicopter ride! The airport was about an hour and a half from the resort, so we opted for the Helicopter ride on our way in - it took 10 minutes and it was amazing! It's a little pricey, but worth every penny. I wish we had taken it back, but we took the bus, which took a loooonnggg time back to the airport. The trip was great and we will be back someday. There are a few more places on our list to hit first, but once we do, we'll head back to St. Lucia and most likely the Halcyon. You won't regret it if you book it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Storie109
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Halycon in December for our anniversary. Loved it. Room was clean, comfortable and great view of ocean. Food top notch. We used the Sandals shuttle to go to the other two Sandals resorts and it was efficient and safe. The staff was always friendly and courteous. We especially thought highly of the watersports guys and the activities people at the pool. They all did a great job. The only comment for improvement that we would offer is that the pool towels needed to be replaced more frequently.
Very relaxing, laid back resort with beautiful gardens and setting.

1  Thank Max S
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our second visit to Halcyon, the first being 14 years ago (1998), we were there from 5 - 19 December 2012. We have to say that it is not as good as it was 14 years ago, but does not detract from what was a very enjoyable, relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings.

The Pier Restaurant (especially the piano player) and Marios are excellent, although we were disappointed in the Bayside which we found to be in need of some TLC. The hygiene standards were not as good as they should be, the chair cushions quite dirty and the cinstant pesetering from the cats gets annoying after a time. We also found breakfast got monotonous as it never ever changed. We also found that the grill at lunchtime frequently only had burgers which you can get from the beach grill every day.

We chose a basic room which was more than adequate as we do not spend much time in there(used our money flying Club World with BA which was good but the seating arrangement is apalling). However, we were somewhat surprised at there being no shower gel, only a bar of soap, it was a bit like stepping back to the 1800's, so if you are going take your own shower gel.

The nicest things about Halcyon is that it is small, has beautiful gardens and some really terrific staff who could not do enough to help. We met Agnes again at the sunset pool bar who was there when we went in 1998 and it was great to see her again.

It is a good location as you can use the courtsey bus to visit the other 2 sandals resorts (Grande & Le Toc) although we found the timings of the buses did not fit in well with the restaurant booking times at the other resorts.

All in all this was an excellent vacation in a very nice resort and we will definitely return and will not leave 14 years this time.

Keith E

Room Tip: Basic rooms are more than adequate unless you want to be pampered
1  Thank Keith E
Reviewed December 31, 2012

before booking our honeymoon my husband and i did a lot of research and finally settled on Halycon St Lucia and we were not disappointed. we purposely chose it as the smaller of the 3 sandal hotels and really enjoyed it from our champagne arrival. The staff were all very helpful, and as the hotel wasnt too large we got to recognise the same faces.There were a lot of activities at the hotel everynight, including fire blowing, but you have to pay for all activities except water sports. The hopper bus they have between the 3 hotels was brilliant, so you can eat and drink at all 3 hotels. only downside at all 3 hotels was the cats. alot of stray cats everywhere.

Restaurants: of all the restaurants Marios, the Pitons and Josephines were our favourites

Tours:
Pitons: we hiked the pitons which we really loved, but it was hard work so might be worth doing this at the beginning of your trip before too much indulgance. also you need decent trainers with a grip as parts of it were like rock climbing. worth it for the view though.
Seatrek was amazing, my husband doesnt swim but we got to walk on the seabed and were down for about 40mins so as the only thing he could really do underwater it was definately worth it.
Land tour to Volcano and Sulphar Springs - this was the best trip we did, you can do the trip either by land or by boat (boat is joe knows) but we chose the land trip as you see more, going through the rainforest and banana plantations. We also had a fantastic guide who gave us so much information on the island, it was really insightful into the history of the island.
Dolphin & Whale Watching - in retrospect we wish we hadnt booked this tour as you could pay to do the supersnorkal for half the price and everyone came back saying they saw dolphins and whales and it was like a sunset tour aswell

Overall this hotel was amazing, fridge was restocked everyday, the room was very clean and all the staff were amazing. of the 3 sandals hotels on the island this was the smallest, so no large high rise buildings and everything was in walking distance, you got to know all of the staff, it wasnt as loud at night and has definately given me a taste for sandals.

Room Tip: we got a downstairs room which was a pain with the cats so would ask for a 1st floor one instead
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank shalv81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
#4 of 12 in Castries
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!