We stayed at the Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort over the Thanksgiving break and were greatly disappointed! I will try to explain in as much detail why my new bride and I had such a terrible time while staying at this resort. We ended up leaving this resort after 2 days and were transferred to the Sandals La Toc location. The staff at Sandals La Toc saved our honeymoon from disaster!!!!
Short List: Negatives
-Rooms are outdated and underwhelming
-Drinks are watered down
-Food is cold and tastes horrible
-Employees are angry that they work there
-Room fridge did not get restocked in concierge room
-Entertainment was lacking (2 teens with a keyboard)
-Pressure washing at 9am
-Beach water was not clear or clean
-Management staff was not accommodating
-Towel stations were always empty
After two flights from New Orleans and then Miami and a very long drive(2hours) from the airport to the resort, you will be hassled by the staff to sign your life away. They make you sign waivers for everything you do and anything that could possibly happen to you while you are in St Lucia. If something does happen to you, I hope you are prepared to sue them in St Lucia court and abide by St Lucian Law.
After the ordeal of filling out paperwork, we were told of the Honeymooners Dinner that was happening that night. I was tired from the flight but thought that I would be missing out on something special if we didn't go so I mustered up the energy to attend. Boy was I in for a surprise!!! The food was buffet style and was overall terrible. Every single item was ice cold!!! We are not picky eaters, but I felt like we were going to go hungry that night. The entertainment was two teenage boys (1 singing while 1 played a Casio Keyboard) singing cheesy American love songs.
The next morning I was awakened at 8am by the sound of pressure washing outside of our room. I had to call the front desk to ask them to cease. This also happened the next morning around 9am. I guess they didn't get the picture the first time that people on vacation may like to sleep in a bit! There is also a highway running parallel with the resort so be prepared to be awakened by trucks revving their engines trying to make it up the steep hills. (We were in the top room offered and were literally 20 feet from the road.)
The food at Bayside, which is the Buffet for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, is also inedible. The food selection will leave you feeling cheated and hungry! We ate here for breakfast and lunch on one occasion. We learned our lesson after that.
The staff at this Sandals Location is hit or miss. You will find some people who are happy to work here, but the majority seem jaded that they work at the least desirable location. We encountered rude people while trying to be seated at Bayside, a rude waitress at the Honeymooners Dinner, and the Manager at the Sandals Halcyon (Wayne) is just as rude as he is clueless.
The beach is very underwhelming. Don't expect to find crystal clear blue water at this location. You can;t even see your feet when you are up to your knees! The water on this side of the island is not clear or clean. You feel debris under your feet as you walk into the water.
The drinks at this Sandals location are very watered down. On the second day, I had 3 daiquiris while at the pool bar and I didn't even get a slight buzz and I'm not a big drinker! The bartenders do a very quick and short pour when they make the drinks.
I truly feel sorry for anyone that has saved their hard earned money to go on a once in a lifetime vacation and ends up spending it at Sandals Halcyon Beach. If anything, please stay at either the Grand or La Toc. At least you will feel like you are at a resort and not a cheap motel. I am not discrediting St Lucia, which is a very beautiful country, by all means go visit, just don't stay at Halcyon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries