“Restful, Relaxing and FUN!!!!!!”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Bowie, Maryland
“Restful, Relaxing and FUN!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We are Sandals regulars and have spent the last 10 anniversarys at a Sandals in the Bahamas/Exuma, Jamacia, Antigua and now St. Lucia for our 34th!.

Just returned from 9 days at the Halcyon . The service was great, the weather perfect and the food was good..... We were in room 133 which is near everything and close enought to fall asleep to the sound of the waves even with the windows closed. We spent time on the patio morning and night but days when we were at the resort were mostly spent at the quiet pool which we really enjoyed.
The staff that we delt with were great and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I don't want to leave anyone out but give them all a huge thanks for all you did for us.

Our friend stayed at the Grand and we did go over for dinner and spa day on the shuttle with no problems . The food was good at Tuscanny and the spa service delightful but for us it was not relaxing enought. We liked our Halcyon for us!!!!!

We did two wonderful tours that we highly recommend ( I will also review them on their sites) JOE KNOWS was a blast with JR and Jr. in the speed boats and bus trip up the mountain I booked through the website but you can also book thru Sandals Island Routes......
My favorite trip was with Carnaval, "Chocolate Decadence /Bean to Bar" which was all day on and off the catamaran and ending with a sunset sail back.

It was a restful, relaxing wonderful trip and Sandals made us feel welcome and everything what we needed.

Room Tip: Room 133 was perfect....close to all the restaurants and a fire pit but far enough away that the noi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Islandgirl1117

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Slovak first
Co.Durham
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We always love coming home to The Halcyon. Everything (to us) is speciial. The staff are the real bonus to the resort.I could write a long list of of names for the staff who looked after us. But as they were all great I don't want to leave anyone out! After contacting Wayne and telling him it was my husbands 50th birthday, he left him a lovely cake and rang him to see if he needed anything else to make his trip anymore specialn but there wasn't! The resort manager,Lennox is doin agret job and we can't wait for our 4th visit! P.S. Agnes it was great to see you again and get our lovely hugs X thanks again Sandals.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stoney_7
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

just got back from our much awaited Sandals vacation. The hotel rooms, staff and most food were excellent. There was alot of building and refurb work going on and in the day sometimes it was very noisy with hammering, concrete mixing etc. The beach was no where near as nice as i expected but we couldnt get on it anyway due to lack of sunbeds and the fact most had towels on from dawn. You also had to get up very early to bag a sunbed round the pool with some shade as there wasn't enough.The beach bistro had awfull food and it was always stone cold. We did get served another cold meal in the restaurant which we sent back. It was hard to get in the Pier or Marios restaurants as they was always a long wait.It was a scramble to get on any transport to go to one of the other resorts as a load of people stood in reception then it was a sudden rush to jump on a bus though we did manage to. The Grande hotel complex is much better than the Halcyon if you want to be impressed and have more choice. Believe it or not we did have a lovely time and did get some relaxation in though I probably wouldnt go back.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a concierge room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Linda D
Norwich England
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My partner and I were lucky enough to secure a 50% discount for our week at Halycon Beach. I had read a lot of reviews about this resort and I was worried about the transfer having read some horror stories. I was slightly surprised that the transfer was in a fairly scruffy old mini bus given the Sandals luxury brand but it does appear that most of the transport on the island is in this form. The island is very mountainous and the roads do have some steep slopes and hairpin bends so if you're not a robust passenger the journey might be a bit tricky for you. Our driver on the transfer to the resort was very careful which was reassuring but the driver on the way back was a bit more gung-ho! Overall, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and I'm glad we didn't fork out for the helicopter transfer. On a positive note the transfer is only about 75 minutes and you do get to see a lot of the island on the way.
As far as the resort itself was concerned we were impressed. We stayed in the concierge rooms which were very well furnished and equipped. I really cannot fault the staff or the food. Although the resort is the smallest of the Sandals resorts (we didn't visit the others so can't comment on then), the menu in the main restaurant changes every day as does the menu in the other two restaurants. Mario's (the italian) was particularly good - I certainly didn't expect carpaccio of beef and lobster thermidor but that's what I had! The quality really is outstanding. The house wine is good American wine from the napa valley so don't get persuaded into choosing something else from the wine menu as you will be charged for this.

The grounds are immaculately maintained and beautiful with lots of tropical flowers and birds. The cabanas, hammocks and seating areas are lovely to use in the evenings as the sun is going down. The bars are all excellent with branded spirits and a very good selection. I certainly enjoyed working my way through the cocktail list - nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff.

The beach isn't the white sand that you see on the website but it is perfectly nice and very clean. Contrary to what some people have said in their reviews we didn't get hassled by vendors on the beach - if you just tell them you are not interested then they leave you alone.

As I have stated in my heading, overall it was difficult to find fault. My only very minor criticisms are (i) the wifi is not free which I would expect at a resort of this standard (ii) the sunbeds by the quiet pool are not very good and nowhere near as nice as the sunbed by the main pool, (iii) any extras are quite expensive (we paid $16 for a photo taken by the hotel photographer) and (iv) there does seem to be a culture of sunbed reservation which can be irritating but having said that we always found some free beds somewhere.

We preferred the quiet pool as the music around the main pool was a bit loud for us.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort and I think that we got very good value for what we paid. However had we paid full price then I would have been a bit disappointed. Our room was at the back of the resort which is near the road although this only detracted from the experience in a very minor way.

I happily go back any time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the low hundreds if you want to be away from the road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loulouNorwichEngland
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This review is an honest account of our stay and is intended to be helpful to anyone considering a holiday at Halcyon.
We stayed here in October and had a wonderful time, the resort is a little dated but very comfortable and reasonably clean.
We had a Concierge room which was fine but showing signs of tiredness. The mini bar was great with all spirts, red and white wine , champagne juices, soft drinks but on a couple of occaisions we had to gee up the service desk to have it replenished.
The staff are ALL brilliant and very helpful and friendly, nothing is too much trouble.
The pools were nice but were showing signs of needing a clean with a dark greasy scum attached to the waterline all around both pools, someone mentioned this as a cleaning regiem was visibly started.
The gardens and facilities are lovely and very well kept with the emphasis on relaxation, there was no sweat getting around the pools , the beach was ok it was showing signs of a recent storm but was still very nice.
The food was very good in all the restaraunts and the service was spot on, be warned that wines other than the house wines are not included so if you are not fussed the house wines are very good, be prepared to pay extra for the menu wines from the Somelier.
You are free to use the other two resorts and a regular shuttle bus is laid on , the Grande is totally different in attitude, it is much more upbeat and has more of a WOW factor, we loved the Grande and spent lots of time there. We didnt prefer the Grande to live at as the Halcyon was so relaxing, The other Resort Sandals Le Toc is massive , we didnt spend much time there other than to visit the Japanese resteraunt which was amazing.
We took in a few trips which we booked at the hotel all were excellent, the Sandals snorkel for $40 each was really great.
To sum up,Halcyon is a sleepy resort to relax at, dont expect a party atmosphere.St Lucia is a lovely island and the people are very friendly and its relatively safe (unlike Jamaica) We took a half price deal which was worth the money. However, if we had have paid full price I would have been very dissapointed, Halcyon is a lovely resort and the food and service was great but no where near worth the full brochure price of nearly £8000 for 11 nights.
The sandals experience was great its just that the hotel did not really live up to its billing as it is a bit tired and needs an upgrade but otherwise I would deffinatly reccommend a stay but make sure you get a deal.The Grande St Lucian is an amazing resort if we go back we will stay at the Grande.
Dont be put off by anything I have stated here we had a great time and will be using Sandals again.

Room Tip: book a concierge room away from the beach front as there is a main walkway that may affect your rest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I went here on a lovely romantic holiday, we were unfortunately delayed on our way there so lost a day but despite that we had a wonderful stay. They have a stay at one, play at 3 policy as here are 2 other sandals resorts on the island all within 15 mins of each other, and all with a different look and feel. It was difficult to decide which resort to stay at but having spent time at all 3 i think we made the right choice. Halcyon is a smaller, quieter resort and is very pretty and relaxed, for views go to The Grande, for fun go to La Toc.
I was mildly irritated by constantly being asked if i was on my honeymoon, i think we were the only couple that were not, but if that's my biggest complaint then it's pretty good going....

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room so people aren't looking in at you
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband & I had the most incredible honeymoon. We could not have wished for more! From arrival we were treated to hot towels and champagne, withal quick check in service. A porter then escorted us to our room which was beautifully furnished and clean. The bed was huge & I've never slept so well. Our room was located next to the paradise pool. We never heard the main road behind our building at night. We enjoyed a complementary bottle of champagne & we received a honeymoons breakfast bought to our room one morning.

We loved all the restaurants. Particularly the pier restaurant which has a special feel to it. We never felt pressured to buy wine and always opted for the house wine. This was filled up often without asking :) The variety of food is great and there is something for everyone. One night the chef sat with a planning his menu for his stay due to his dietry requirements ~ we thought this an outstanding service. The jerk chicken, the steak and the cheese board was fantastic. When we went to the Grande the Barefoot on the beach had lovely food too. I asked for onion rings as a side which the don't do but the chef made them especially for me - they were the best I've ever tasted. Josphienes is a MUST visit for desert, their pancakes are truly delicious. I have not tasted any that have topped them. We also visited the French restaurant at La Toc which was exquisite, however later we had a burger at the grill back at the Halcyon. Well worth the visit tho. We also had whole coconut drinks whilst there, they were lovely.

The facilities are great. The swimming pools are lovely. We preferred the quiet pool but there is always entertainment at the noisy pool. What makes Paradise pool in one word - Agnes. She is an asset to Sandals who they should treasure. She remembers everyone & really cares about the guests. Without her Sandals really would not be as successful & I hope they appreciate all she does.

All staff at the Halcyon bend over backwards for the guests. They were friendly, entertaining and care that the guests have a good time. AgainI really hope Sandals appreciate their staff as they make this resort. Everton is such a great guy, he introduced himself to us the first night and from then on checked we were ok. On my birthday he sang happy birthday acapello style over the microphone. AMAZING! He made my birthday. Thank you so much. Other staff urceil, gavy, Kurby also are great. Aaron at the bar is the best barman tho! He got to know your drinks!

The alcohol and range of drink is very good by the way! Its good soft drinks are stocked in your room too.

Trips - we did loads. The Julian tours was the best! 10 people go on the trip. They take you snorkling, to a bat cave, see famous peoples houses, to the mud baths, waterfalls and best of all his aunts house for lunch. The lunch was superb and nothing you will ever experience again. Joe knows do a similar trip with a restaurant lunch and there are more peoples. If you want authentic Caribbean see the yellow shirt guys on the beach. It was a truly magical trip. We also did zip wiring which is super fun & horse riding. We loved going into the sea on the horses bareback. Pigeon island is St Lucas national park. It is next to the grand. Get the shuttle across. It is so beautiful if you hike up to Fort Rodney - views are spectacular from the top.

We had a couples massage & candle lit dinner on the beach for my birthday. A little expensive but a beautiful experience. The service and food was first class. The photos are also pricey as professional photographers go around the resorts.

Sandals have many money making schemes but you don't actually have to do any. We chose to because it was our honeymoon, so we bought photos etc One couples we met spent no money the entire 2 weeks they were there.

We loved our honeymoon and hope to go back one day. The resort is just quiet, beautiful and the staff are amazing.
The grande is also great but not got the feel of the Halycon. The beach their is gorgeous. La Toc is disappointing. The staff were not as friendly as the others.

I strongly recommend this resort. I really don't know what makes people happy if they are disappointed!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Mtickner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!