“Wonderful Honeymoon”

and 1 more site!
Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We stayed at the Halcyon the last week of September for our honeymoon. We loved our stay. The Halcyon is a small romantic hotel and suited our laid back style perfectly.

Our room was great - room 138 - it was like our own little cottage - set back off the main path so there was no so much foot traffic but still a great view of the ocean. The concierge service was worth the extra money - we loved our fully stocked fridge with cold Piton beer and water and Diet Coke. The room was always cleaned and the turn down service was nice.

There is a safe in the room and I would advise leaving as many of your valuables in there as possible - it is not very big but use it when you are out of the room. We did not have a problem but we encountered another couple staying in a different block of rooms that did. The safe is there for a reason - use it.

The grounds are so beautiful. Green and lush, the flowers and vegetation were spectacular. The beach was really nice too. The weather was good considering it was the rainy season - it rained a few times a day but the sun came out afterwards. I managed to get a very nice tan despite the frequent rain. But even when it rained, the rain was soft and warm, we loved sitting out on our patio drinking our Pitons and watching the rain come down.

The fintness center was good - I used the treadmills and weights while looking out at the ocean. I usually had the place to myself. Beats working out in a sweaty crowded gym.

The food was good. Breakfast was great - pretty much anything you want from eggs, french toast, cereal, fruit, oatmeal...everything. Lunch we usually ate at the Beach Bistro - they had great burgers and tuna sandwiches and yummy fries. Dinners were always great. Mario's was our favorite - my parents own an Italian restaurant so I was not expecting much but it was fantastic. The risotto and gnocchi were amazing. I loved the Pier as well - the snapper and Mahi Mahi were really good. We also visited Kimono's at the Regency (good for a different way to spend the evening) and Barefoot by the Sea at the Grande. The other resorts are very different from the Halcyon but my husband and I agreed that we like the Halcyon the best.

The service was great. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful at all times. We really did not have any complaints. Agnes at the Paradise Pool is the coolest bartender ever. She made a mean mudslide.

The pools were really nice. We divided our time between the Paradise Pool and Sunset Pools. We spend the afternoons at the Paradise pool because it was quieter and the around 4pm we went to the Sunset Pool to partake in pool volleyball. The Sunset Pool is a bit rowdier with music pumping while the Paradise Pool is quiet and just lovely.

We did one excursion - the Souferie Adventure Cruise - which we highly recommend. They pack a lot in in one day which is great - the view of the Pitons from the boat is worth it alone. The tour desk is very helpful in making all your reservations so you should visit them when you get there. Not all tours are offered on all days so you may want to do this when you first arrive.

All in all we loved our honeymoon. It was relaxing and lovely - just what we wanted in a honeymoon. St. Lucia is beautiful and we hope to come back soon....but next stop for us is Jamaica for a quick weekend getaway in Jan...stay tuned!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Italianissima73
Write a ReviewReviews (3,886)

Reviewed October 3, 2007

First I want to say that I've been reading the reviews on the Halcyon since I booked my trip about a year ago. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and now I'll share mine.

We spent two weeks in St. Lucia for our honeymoon this September. Eight nights at the Halcyon and 5 nights at the Jalousie Plantation (look for that review soon). As far as the weather goes, it couldn't have been better. Even though it was the rainy season, we only got one day of rain. The temperature was in the mid 80's with a wonderful breeze. No bugs at all and not a single mosquito bite.

We flew into the small airport, which I would highly recommend. It was a ten minute ride to the Halcyon. We had a honeymoon beach cottage (#143) which was about 50 feet from the water. Our room was immaculate and in very good condition. The view was incredible from the room. For anyone wondering if it's worth the extra money, we definitely thought it was. The bar was stocked when we arrived and they were happy to change anything we wanted and things were re-filled promptly when we asked. Bottled water was also included, which was a nice luxury since it's not included in the all-inclusive. The concierge service was just OK. Although Albert was nice, he really didn't go out of his way for us.

We did two excursions. The first was the Soufierre Adventure (which we got for free when we booked). It was a good way to see the island but I was glad we didn't have to pay for it. The catamaran ride was awesome. The volcano really wasn't what I expected. It was a sulphur spring that stunk to high heaven. If you don't get to see it, you aren't missing anything. The botanical gardens were beautiful and Pitons should not be missed. You get lunch at a local restaurant which was OK, but far from great. After lunch you get back on the catamaran and they take you to a spot to snorkle. The snorkling was OK, but again, not great. Our second excursion was the trip of a lifetime. A tour of the Grenadines. Very expensive, but worth every penny. You fly to Union Island, board a catamaran and tour four Grenadine islands. The sand is pure white and the water is breath taking. The last island we visited, we swam with sea turtles. If anyone wants more information, feel free to write me. I have some incredible pictures.

And now for the food. Breakfast was great with everything you could possibly want including eggs (any style), pancakes, crepes - all made fresh to order. Lunch at the beach grill was very good too. They had the best french fries and make your own nachos. We ate at the Pier twice and it was good, but definitely not our favorite. We loved Kimono's at the Regency. Our favorite was definitely Mario's. I'm Italian and I was very impressed at the quality of the food from the appetizer buffet right down to the desert. Definitely try the gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce. I'm still dreaming about it - LOL!

We visited the two other resorts a few times, but were always glad to come back to the Halcyon. In my opinion, it's the best value and the most intimate and beautiful. We loved it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Shell914
Reviewed October 2, 2007

We booked a 10 night stay for our honeymoon and absolutley loved it. We stayed from 31/10/06 to 9/11/06. We booked a ocean view room which was very clean and comfortable. They are individual little houses which means there is no one making noise above you. We were close to the pool and main area which was good and not noisy at all. The grounds of the resort are absolutley beautiful and as the resort is not massive most things are only a 2-3 minute walk away. There are 3 restaurants on site which all serve amazing food and the waiters are extremely polite and freindly. The breakfasts and lunches were served in the main bayside restaurant which had so much choice any taste would be satisfied.
We went snorkling acouple of times which is included and I would highly recommend this as a morning trip.
The daily entertainemnt definatley keeps the people who don't enjoy just sitting on a sun lounger all day entertained. The play makers who run the games are absolutley lovely people but there is no pressure to take part if you don't want to. There is a wide variety from pool and beach volleyball, golf putting, shuffleboard, pool games and many more. Each activity only lasts about 20 mins so you won't be away from your sunbed for too long.
There isn't anything that I would say I didn't like at all. I had fun from start to finnish - would just say that if you are the type of person who likes complete peace and quiet this may not be the place for you as there is music by the pool all day and the atmosphere is quite livley.
Another plus is that we have decided to visit another sandals resort this year and because we are return guests we have received a discount of £136 by using our sandals points.
Enjoy your stay I'm sure you'll love it!!!
Diane & Jeremy Taylor, Bedfordshire, England.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Dianemary
Reviewed September 30, 2007

As titled above our holiday at the Halcyon was the best ever. Staff were very friendly and we had lots to do each day. From Doug, our tennis coach giving fun lesssons to sailing, snorkling, etc we had a great time.
Food was great; we ate at nearly all the restaurents and enjoyed all of them.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank Ian S
Reviewed September 27, 2007

My wife and I honeymooned at the Halcyon this year and it was an amazing experience.

A lot has already been written in other reviews but I would like to add my own thoughts so here goes.

We took the helicopter ride from the airport in the south of the island to the airport in the north and it was well worth it, the bus journey is terrible! The helicopter ride lasts about 14 minutes and the taxi from the airport to the hotel was about 5 minutes.

On arrival at the hotel we were offered sparkling white wine and a lemon scented towel to cool down with. We were checked in quickly and shown to our room

The room was immaculate. Clean and large with plenty of space to relax and a balcony that was very private, nobody looking over you. Had a delux room with a garden view. Our toilet blocked twice when we were there (not our doing) but it was fixed straight away, once we didn't even know it was blocked until the man with the plunger turned up!

Resort - The resort is small and romantic. It has a village feel about it and although there were many other couples there the resort did feel very private. One main pool with bar where all the activities take place. You aren't bullied inot taking part but the entertainment staff will come up and try and encourage you to take part. we spent most of our time by the quiet paradise pool. No entertainment staff here so you could read your book in piece and quiet and the pool was never busy. This pool also had a fully stocked bar and served afternoon tea which was excellent.

Food - What can I say about the food? Quite a lot! Breakfast is served in the Bayside where you can also have lunch and dinner. Heard a few complaints about no choice at breakfast which I found astounding. At breakfast you had a choice of poached eggs, fired eggs, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, omlettes, crepes, cererals, variety of bread, beans, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, hash browns, cheese, cold cuts, pastries, fruit juices, steak, fish and some other options that changed everyday. To me this is a great choice. I just want to know what the people that complained eat for breakfast at home.

Lunch at the Bayside was a buffet style with a huge range of food on ofer everyday. All fresh and cooked fantastically well.

Dinner is where your options really opened up. The Pier was really good, brilliant food and brilliant service. We also went to the other Sandals properties and ate at Kimono's which is an experience of the positive kind and the Sandals take on the classic British pub was odd but again good. Our favourite place to eat by a country mile was Mario's at the Halcyon. We ended up there 4 tmes during our stay. The staff at Mario's are amazing and the food is out of this world. You have so much choice at Moario's that even though we went 4 times we never had the same thing twice.

There are a number of restaurants over the 3 sites, each ten minute complimentary bus ride away, that you will never get bored eating out and if you do then you are just not trying.

Staff - The staff at the Halcyon are amazing! The most professional staff I have ever encountered at any hotel. I offered to give Claude, one of the bell hops, a hand with our cases up the stairs but her refused saying that he could get sacked if anyone saw me helping him. Trying to tip is impossible as well but a chat and a smile go a long way. We made loads of friends there, staff and holiday makers, and couldn't go anywhere without somebody shout our names out and giving a wave or stopping for a chat. This level of excellence stretches all the way to management as well. Managers are always about and work just as hard as the other staff. The staff take time out to learn your name and about you so we took the time to ask about htheir lives which made our holiday an even better experience. Gavin is a legend! Our glasses we never empty when he was on duty. As soon as the last mouthful of drink was gone a fresh one was there in front of you. Marlon was as the same, a class guy and a great laugh. Kimbert and Warner were magicians with the cocktails and Agnes is a superb lady. Always smiling and always willing to stop and chat.

Hurricane - Hirricane Dean hit the island whilst we were there and I have to say the way everyone pulled together, staff and holiday makers, was amazing. The hurricane hit about 3.00 am on Friday morning. Later that morning breakfast was served 30 mins late. 30 mins late! That is unbelievable as the Bayside is just metres from the beach. The entire place was filled with sand and sea water but they managed to clear it and still serve breakfast. The pools were out of use for our last 2 days and the Pier was badly damaged so it was closed as well but everyting else got back to normal quickly. It was a bit of downer to the end of our honeymoon but it is nature and the hotel did everything possible to make things go smoothly. This however didn't stop many folk complain that the couldn't use the pools and other facilities but we just ignored thses people and got on with it.

Sandals offer a hurricane guaranttee that states if your resort is hit by hurricane strength winds and facilities at the hotel are disrupted then they offer you a free vaction for the same value as the one you are on when the hurricane hits, to be taken within 12 months of the original holiday. I am here to tell you that this is no joke and we managed to claim a free vaction. No problems at all in claiming it and it good to see a company backing up its customer service promises and not trying to wriggle out of it.

We are planning a trip to one of the Sandals resorts in Jamacia next year and really looking forward to it.

Go here if you want a romantic get away. You can't beat it.

Gavin & Cheryl Taylor

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Gaviebawz
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Myself and Partner arrived at the Halcyon 2 days after Hurricane Dean, we got the helicopter from the airport to the hotel which I would strongly recommend.

The Halcyon is a beautiful hotel, the only evidence of the hurricane was the main pool and the pier restaurant were closed. The staff worked very hard and the pool was emptied, cleaned, refilled and opened within 4 days and the pier restaurant open in less than a week after. Well done to all the staff cleaning up and getting the resort back to normal, you did a grand job.

We had a beachfront concierge room and it was beautiful, I really could not fault it, room number 134. For anyone that is worried about the rooms we went to a Managers meeting whilst there and he said they had been granted money to update the rooms immediately. If you are lucky enough to be in a concierge room you really do get looked after, just go to the desk and they will sort anything out for you and also book all the restaurants there and the Regency and Grande.

All the restaurants are fantastic and the food was very good. We did go to restaurants at both the other Sandals and they were very nice, especially the Japanese which is also alot of fun. My only comment on the other two hotels is that for us they were to big, very nice, but we preferred the intimacy and friendliness of the smaller Halcyon.

My Partner loves his water sports and The Halcyon is great for this. He must have gone out Wake Boarding at least 4 times aday, he built up a good relationship with all the water sports staff and they did look after him very well, thanks guys and dont forget 'Curly' if any of you read this. We were informed that the water sports at the other hotels were not as good and you had to queue for everything.

The Pools are lovely, main pool and paradise pool both have swim up bars and are good size pools. Afternoon tea and cakes are served in the afternoon at the paradise pool which is very nice.

Beach grill is handy for something to eat at anytime of the day, shuts for a few hours in the evening then reopens about 10.30 till the early hours. This was very handy one evening as we had one to many cocktails one afternoon fell asleep and woke around 10.30 so to the beach grill for dinner haha

We did a couple of trips, the Catamaran for the day. This was great as it included more or less everything to see on the Island, the view of the Pitons is breathtaking. You are then taken to the drive in volcano and the botanical gardens and to a restaurant for lunch then back to the Cat.
We also did the Zip Wire Adventure in the Rain Forest - you really must do this its awesome, we had so much fun.

Big thank you to all the staff, you guys really made our holiday. Agnes is a lovely lovely lady and Marlon is a top guy, if you read this we loved you dude and know you will never forget us, especially Curly.

The only down side to the whole experience was having to leave. The journey to the airport was terrible, the driving is horrendous as are the roads. I would strongly recommend the helicopter to and from the airport.

I missed the place and people for days after :-(

Paula & Curly

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Booey49
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Everything was a positive experience, the grounds are just beautiful and well maintained, the staff was the best we have ever encountered in some very extensive travels.
(get to know all their names)-they'll know yours and its so nice to get a chat with the locals of St. Lucia....
Our suggestions are very minor but would make it 100% PERFECT:
A) add ceiling fans to the outdoor balconys (the box air conditioners create soo much heat it makes it impossible to sit outside with the air on inside.)
B) cut back the vines from the balconys so you can actually see your ocean view and feel the lovely breeze, rather than the humidity being trapped on the balcony.

C) the only real annoyance was the vendors on the beach (yes I know its public) but they went from asking for a glass of water ,to alcohol, to wanting us to bring them lunch plates specialy ordered. (The other two resorts are too hard for them to get on the property, therefore they don't bother the guests..)
We found ourselves hiding out in the "paradise pool" area ALOT just to avoid talking with the "boys" on the beach. They were not threatening ,but extremely pushy..and I really got fed up with explaining that "NO WE ARE NOT MILLIONAIRES ,AND WE DID WORK HARD HOURS for this vacation" and sorry about not wanting to buy your goods....AGAIN this was an annoyance, I think most public beachs have this same problem, It would be nice if the security at the Halcyon took a more active role in discouraging that behavior from both the guests ordering food/drinks for them, and the vendors badgering the people on the beach once they got on first name basis. WE would go back in a minute, the only change would be to totally discourage any conversation with the guys selling stuff

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank divewood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!