“A small family-run hotel that exceeds expectations”
Review of Auberge Seraphine

Auberge Seraphine
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Kingston, Jamaica
“A small family-run hotel that exceeds expectations”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Auberge Seraphine is located almost across from the city airport in Castries, overlooking a small marina. All of its rooms, spacious well-equipped and tastefully decorated, face the waterfront and have a balcony on which one can contemplate the sea, watch tourist party boats come and go or just relax. The dining room and bar, which also overlook the water, serves excellent seafood dishes served elegantly by courteous, friendly staff. However, for all its elegance in menu and food presentation, the hotel staff on the whole are friendly and eager to help at any time of the day or night,

The hotel is family owned and operated, and one frequently finds the owners greeting guests in the dining room or at check-in.

The combination of friendliness, good service and comfortable rooms at an affordable price is unbeatable.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NGeorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
CT
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My husband, 4 year old daughter and I stayed here for one night before our 7am flight due to the proximity of the airport. The location is pretty- right on a cove with boats and a small pond with water lillies and birds. Our room was basic but airy. I enjoyed sitting on the verandah looking at the cove. I also enjoyed the terrace with the small pool and chairs. It was quite relaxing and the pool was refreshing.
We had dinner at the restaurant which was excellent. Its open on the side overlooking the water.
This hotel is great if you have an early flight or need to be in Castries.
In fact, the crew for our flight stayed at this hotel.
I found the service to be excellent. Since our flight was at 7am, the front desk arranged for a taxi to be waiting for us the next morning and we were able to check out the night before. I would definately stay here again if I had an early flight.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Bugfast
Wyoming, Michigan
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This hotel was recommended to us as the one we had booked in Rodney Bay smelled horrible. A concierge at The Landings said he used to work there. He called them and arranged a room for us. This was supposed to be by the president's house. It was close to the shipping bay/airport in Castries. We got there, left our luggage, and went out to eat. It was dark when we came back from dinner. In the morning light, we saw ants all over the tile floor. This explained the itching my travel partner experienced all night. We practically ran from the hotel and refused to pay for the night we stayed. They acted very non-chalant, as if ants all over your room are not a problem to them.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — ants in the room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank PSBWyoming_Michigan
Anguilla, British West Indies
Reviewed April 17, 2008

If you want to explore Castries, this is the place to stay. Tucked away in a quiet cove a short walk to town or to the Coal Pot or Jacques restaurants and close to the airport, we loved the quiet, the view, the location. You don't want to stay here if you want beaches.

A pretty dining room and a terrific staff and good food makes this convenient, well priced hotel a perfect choice. I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else in Castries.

Coal Pot's setting and staff alone make it worth a visit. The food was good. While we didn't have dinner at Jacques we did have lunch so I can't fairly compare the two. My sense is that Jacques may be more "authentically French". However, we stayed in the north and the south. I don't believe there is any sophisticated dining on the island. But we had some great, throughly enjoyable food.

• Liked — Quiet setting with interesting views and sounds of nature.
  • Disliked — Room was pretty average.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank KarenGr
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I just spent a week (29th March - 5th April) on business at Auberge Seraphine and have to say it was a very pleasant experience. The rooms are spotless, large and despite being slightly worn very comfortable - it almost felt homely. Comfortable large beds, cable TV and a small fridge for essentials. Powerful shower in the bathroom and plenty of hot water. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and Camilla the owner/manger was very friendly and welcoming.
I only ate breakfast at the hotel but the menu prices were very reasonable. The location is perfect - right next to the airport and Castries but virtually no airport noise and no city noise. Over looking the harbour it was interesting watching the cruise ships come in and out. I only had one very slightly morning from the charter boats but it only lasted about 20-30 mins and it was interesting watching.
Would I go back and stay there again - definitely!

• Liked — Location and comfortable facilities - staff were also great!
  • Disliked — the steps but hey that's St. Lucia!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I stayed overnight on St Lucia during my third trip through the island during a 14 island hopping trip in October 2007. I was booked into Room 303, large and with comfortable bed, which overlooked the marina just below the hotel. To my delight, I discovered the nest morning that the large tree just off my balcony also was the "overnight hotel" for several hundred egrets. I read the TripAdvisor review after I had booked this hotel through American Express and was concerned about its reviews. However, I had a very pleasant check-in, both dinner and breakfast food was delicious and served timely in the main retaurant and the complimentary high speed internet service was just that! I will not hesitate to use this hotel on my next overnight visit to St Lucia. Its location close to the airport makes it a must for early depature.

• Liked — Convenient, clean, friendly
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank photoguy66degrees
Roseau
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Stayed at this hotel because I had to overnight in St. lucia and my flight was leaving early the next morning.

To my knowledge, it is the only hotel near - literally 5-7 mins -from the George charles airport.

Got in very late that night and there was not even a light snack available. The guy at reception did not bother to look for my reservation but instead told me that it was ok because there were still rooms available. I told him to look for my reservation because it had been confirmed - he looked and saw my name there!!!

I had 3 pieces of luggage and there were no lifts- I had to ask the guy at reception to help carry the luggage up 2 major flights of stairs.

Once I got to the room, I was extremely disappointed. The linen was old- the sheets were thinning, the bathroom was old and out dated with a flimsy shower curtain to stop the water going onto the floor but it did not work- I ended up putting towels on the floor- there were no bath mats in the bathroom. The towels looked old. There is no internet access in the rooms and there was a balcony.

Despite the above, the room was clean and although hotel is near the airport did not hear anything- mind you ,my flight was the last to arrive that day.

I thought that b/fast was buffet but it turned out it was a la carte- this was v. time-consuming esp. as I had to catch a flight- I ended having a glass of milk that I poured myself because there was one waitress( with attitude) serving all of the guests at breakfast. I was told that an egg sandwich would take time as the chef had to fry the egg. I waited for 7 mins and then had to leave as it was still not ready!!!

ANYWAY............when all is said and done, the ONLY thing going for this hotel is that it is near the George Charles Airport and I suspect that most of the travellers are business or short stay travellers- there were only businessmen eating breakfast when I was checking out.

This hotel is certainly not worth the 112- 150 USD a night( b/fast inc) but they can get away with it because it is the ONLY hotel a few mins from the airport ( 5-7 mins by taxi- do not try to walk to airport). I had just stayed at the Hampton Inn Tropicana for 30- 40 USD more and the hotel rooms were miles better. I told the receptionist this the next day.

I also had to drag my luggage ( 3 pieces plus handbag) down the 2 flights of stairs and when I was on the 2nd flight of stairs, there were 2 members of staff ( 1 male and 1 female) who just looked at me and did not offer to help in anyway! In fact there was someone mopping the floor at the reception area and restaurant area whilst guests were eating ( this was at 7:10 in the morning!!!)

The outer decor of this hotel is very lovely- a kin to the old colonial French style. It is also adjacent to a marina.

• Liked — location -near the george charles airport
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Toutpartout
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Casa del Vega
#7 of 12 in Castries
The Ginger Lily Hotel
The Ginger Lily Hotel
#5 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Auberge Seraphine? Share your experiences!