“nice ambience but over-priced”
Review of The Coal Pot

The Coal Pot
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Castries
Cuisines: Caribbean, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fish and seafood specialties restaurant on water front at Vigie Cove, Chef Xavier Ribot has lead this charming restaurant for 15 years offering french and Caribbean cuisine.
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Lovely atmosphere, and great location looking out to sea - perfect for couples on a romantic date. Food was lovely, although it seems St. Lucian restaurants don't like to cook their vegetables! Service was very slow considering we were only one of two couples sitting in the restaurant when we ordered. Staff were attentive, but the fact we had 5 different people serving us throughout our meal was rather irritating - it's nice just to have one person taking your order, serving you and dealing with the bill at the end. Despite the food being enjoyable, it was rather over-priced.

Reviewed December 15, 2009

good food, i really didnt find any great food on the entire island tho...

Reviewed December 11, 2009

The staff at the Windjammer Landing recommended this place as a good local spot... unfortunately I did not agree. The food was good, but overpriced. I was looking for something a little more low key with the flavor of St. Lucia, and this seemed more like an attempt to make tourists feel like they are trying something local and gouge them on the price. This is a more upscale restaurant on the water (bring bug spray, as the mosquitoes were definitely out), and I wasn't satisfied with the experience. I guess they are charging for the ambiance.

Reviewed December 2, 2009

The food was very good. The service left much to be desired. I asked for a table by the water but was told they were busy and were reserved. By the time I left, there were still plenty I could have occupied.

The food came so fast, I was easily out within the hour! The food was good, although portion size would ensure you could easily eat three courses. With the speed of service I wondered if they had two sittings, as the plate was removed immediately I finished my last mouthful and the next course soon followed! I was asked if I wanted coffee as well a dessert. Having said yes, the coffee arrived within 30 seconds - and before the dessert! Then it took 15 minutes to get the bill and I was still out within the hour! Shame about the service, it meant that the visit was not as positive as it otherwise could have been. Note that The Coalpot is the same as The Coal Pot, so look at all reviews for balance.
If I visit again, I'll be more assertive!

Reviewed November 24, 2009

7 of us went to dinner here. We had all been there before and it was one of our favorite places. Unfortunately our opinions have changed. The food was okay but lacked flavor. The service was slow. When we asked for our check it took them 35 minutes to bring our check. There were lots of staff just standing around doing nothing. Not sure what happened but don't know that we'll return in the future as it is far from inexpensive to eat here.

1  Thank nevera