“So excited......................”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“So excited......................”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were lucky enough to spend an amazing two weeks in Bel Jou in October 2010 after the Islands of the Carribean tour with Saga.Yes it is at the top of a steep hill but you are made well aware of this in the brochure before booking. The courtesy bus is frequent and the trips to the beach are available throughout the day,The staff,without exception were amazing and reading the current feedback this still seems to be the case.We had torrential rain for several days so we had a brolly and walked the gardens or went to Rodney Bay,it didn't spoil our holiday just gave it another dimension...rain when it is 34 degrees is just an outside shower,enjoy it.We were lucky enough to explore the Grenadines which involved a 45 minute transfer on an 8 seater plane,crazy but an adventure we will never forget. Andy is an asset to the reputation and running of Bel Jou and part of an incredible team that make this a truly memorable destination.On that note I am so excited and fit to burst as we have booked for a return visit in March next year for a extra special celebration,I can hardly wait. So,if you get the chance to visit this amazing hotel with it's incredible and original team please don't hesitate,do it soon.

Room Tip: We had a garden room which was wonderful as I have mobility restrictions and the outlook was fabulou...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kate111113

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
gloucester
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My first saga holiday and I am sure not my last I will go on my own or with my partner. The hotel was brilliant and even though going to close down for renovation still looked after us. The staff are obliging and work very hard, it is a shame that some people expect them to work like the British (fast and furious) and complained about the silliest things.
Highlight of the holiday has to be the carnival and thank you for organising this the staff excelled.
ANDY well as other postings he works so hard is very sacastic/funny but also very caring he was simply the best he made my holiday I have never met a rep like him and I am sure he will do well wherever he goes in the future.
My room had everything I needed except for those mossies.
I dont miss the tree frogs they went on all night long/then the birds started.
The cleaner did a good job.
Trips that were included and ones I bought were well worth doing.
Courtesy bus was well appreciated.
The people I met made my holiday the majority were lovely and I am sure I will keep in touch with them.
Gill

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank jfkGloucester
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have just returned from two weeks at the Bel Jou (June) and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.
The rooms are spacious with two double beds, flat-screen TV/DVD and remote control air-conditioning. They were cleaned thoroughly every day. The gardens are well maintained with plenty of exotic flowers and shady areas. The pool is small but we never had a problem getting sun loungers.
The meals are buffet style but with plenty of choice and there was always a fish dish and a vegetarian style dish so all tastes were catered for. The food was always hot and well cooked.
Located on top of a VERY steep hill was not a problem - the courtesy bus runs regularly to Castries and Vigie Beach, Rodney Bay and Pigeon Island.The beaches are good (we thought Pigeon Island was the best) and although a few people tried to sell us necklaces and bracelets, a polite no was all that was needed.
The staff at the hotel were pleasant and friendly, as were the locals in Castries.
The Saga rep, Andy, was excellent - not obtrusive but always around if you needed help or advice, as was Camille, the Hotel Manager.
The choice of excursions was good - we did the Whale and Dolphin Watching one and saw 12 Sperm Whales and many Dolphins. The Rainforest Aerial Tram was also excellent.
We loved the whole experience and would not hesitate to return here.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the 3rd and 4th floor give better views, but bear in mind that there are NO l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Ian R
, Manager at Bel Jou Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback concerning our hotel in St Lucia, we take every step to ensure your holiday is enjoyable.

It’s wonderful to hear that you experienced the excursions and made use of the shuttle bus trips to the beaches.

With regard to the food on offer we aim to cater for all tastes with our buffet style meals, ensuring a good choice is available to suit everyone.

We are proud of our team at the Bel Jou and pleased that they enhanced your holiday in St Lucia.
Hull
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have just returned from my holiday after reading such awful reviews about the place i thought what am I going too.Well all i can say is it must be a differant hotel to what I stayed in.The staff, including the manager ,and Andy the saga rep were very nice friendly people they could not do enough for you .The food was excellent very tasty and plenty of it .But there was about 4 people moaning about it even though they were in the dining first and always had plenty on their plates but you always get that were ever you go!!!! It was the first holiday on my own the other guests were all very friendly so please do not be put off going if you want a good holiday and wonderful views and gardens.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank lucylouHull
Quedgeley
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have just read a lot of reviews of the Bel Jou St Lucia.I don't recognise the descriptions of the rooms or the food.On our second visit we had one of the lovely garden rooms which was superb.The garden is well kept and beautiful. The driver of the minibus is helpful and accommodating.We saw parts of St Lucia we would never have got to see thanks to Emmauel avoiding traffic chaos on Friday teatimes. The bus times don't suit you? Get a taxi then
We have stayed there on two occasions and we are going back again in November of this year.
What were all those people expecting in the Caribbean? 5star London? How dare you critise Castries, it's Cairbbean. People live there, they have dogs, dogs bark, get over it. Pigeon Island is St Lucia's National Trust Park, why should you not pay to enter it? I am ashamed of all these people complaining about such a wonderful unspoiled place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
22 Thank Sheila M
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Well i must say all these miserable people who wrote horrid reviews need to think again,this was my first time as a solo traveller and must say i was a bit scared after reading the reviews especially about the BUNGELOWS but i had a wonderful time.(enclosed pics of bungelows)
Yes there was OLDER people there but it is for the over 50 !!!!,i met some wonderful people and had a ball never laughted so much in ages.
The staff were excellant,very friendly and well mannered,as for the security guards being about 24/7 you would certainly moan if there wasnt any,some people need to get a life.

The food was very good had cooked english breakfast every morning,evening meal was V good as well.The GALA DINNER was great so people stop moaning about the food.

The excursions i found were interesting,and i loved finding out about the island people thats what these trips are all about again stop moaning people.

As for the entertainment at night found that also good,if you want a DISCO then pick a different hotel,there could have been more than there was but im not complaining.

Room Tip: The bungelows are not as bad as they say,i found them quite good for solo travellers,again if you wa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank lynne g
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This was my second visit to the the Bel Jou, my policy is usually not to return to places I have already visited but had such a wonderful time in August last year decided to back. Enjoyed the week but after the luxury of the first week at Buccament Bay this was so down market! Most disappointed to find out the Ian, Saga's local rep was no longer there. Whilst it was enjoyable stay there felt like there was an air of tension amongst management and reading the latest reports there probably was. No complaints Room, food, excursions all good. Bar and restaurant staff all work tirelessly to keep guest happy. Whatever is going on within the management, Saga need to look long and hard at what is being offered here.

Room Tip: Bungalows for the single guests do not have views over the sea they are spacious and ideal for disab...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Valerie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Villa Beach Cottages
Rendezvous Resort
Rendezvous Resort
#2 of 12 in Castries
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Bel Jou Hotel? Share your experiences!