New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of St. Lucia

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Alberta
10 helpful votes
“Joy's Cruise St Lucia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We took a day trip with Joy’s Cruises and had a fabulous time. We made our way down the island with a tour of Marigot Bay then stopped at Soufriere to hop into a mini bus taxi to see some water falls and the volcano. Then it was of to a beach barbeque which provided much better food than the resort. After eating we carried on to a bay between the Pitons and snorkelled at a marine reserve. This was the highlight of my trip! Then it was back into the boat for the trip home. No one felt seasick on this trip and the driver slowed down when people started to take photos. If you like adventure sit in the bow if there are big swells. If you like getting splashed sit in the back corners. If you like calm and dry it’s the middle for you. We felt quite safe the whole time. Phil drove the boat and gave a running commentary for the whole trip. Ashley was the deck hand and was a big help to a family with small children and a pregnant mom. Joy charged $80 US each for the 3 adults and my son went for free. That includes everything. Great fun and great value for the money. I recommend Joys Cruises. You can find him under the Almond Tree near the Pier at Almond Morgan Bay Resort. His phone # is [--]

8 Thank EJCYYC
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
10 helpful votes
“Beautiful Island but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Our trip was good overall. I'm glad we got to visit the island, but it wasn't my favorite island I have been to in the Carribean. First off, all of the cabs are ridiculously expensive!!!
I was turned off by all the "begging", we were approached a few too many times to buy jewelry and souvenirs. They were unrelenting in their pursuit of the almighty buck. I understand there is a very high unemployment rate, and I don't fault people for trying to make a living, but do not approach the tourists and refuse to give up- accept a "No Thank You" the first time.
The tours we took were good. I would recommend the Island Tour early in your trip to see the majority of the sites and the island as a whole. We booked through Fabian Tours...our guide was very nice but it was like pulling teeth to get him to tell us about the island? Aren't guides supposed to be talkative and informative? Take the island tour but make sure it isn't with Justin at Fabian Tours.
For tours: I would strongly suggest you contact Rhikkie Alexander [--] He took us to the Gros Piton Hike...told us all about his island of St Lucia on the way there and back. He was very intelligent and personable. My husband and I took a private tour with him. The restaurant he selected for lunch in Soufriere was probably the best food we had on the island- authentic Creole food...keeping it simple really paid off. Wish we had met him earlier so we could book him for the Island Tour.

The best cabbie we found is Mr. Peter Willie. [--]
He was very professional and took very good care of us. We used him throughout our trip- he became our personal driver really. Contact him for your airport transport and see what we mean, you will be calling him to get around the island the rest of your trip!! He drives a very clean, updated Toyota Van probably seats 8-9 people.

One of the highlights of our trip was the helicoptor transport from the airport. We flew into the international airport in the south but we were staying on the far north of the island at The Landings. I would take the helicopter, at least when you are arriving. It offered amazing views of the island and it took 10-15 minutes compared to the 1 hour plus we could have spent in a taxi.

Hiking Gros Piton is tough but not impossible. My husband and I are in good shape, in our 30's, we did it in 1 hour 15 minutes- 2 hours is the average. It was one of our very favorite things we did on the island and worth the fees. Spectacular view at the top!! Bring plenty of water and a few snacks to enjoy at the summit.

2 Thank Luv2getawayFLL
Norwalk, Connecticut
30 helpful votes
“Maximum Chill Out in St. Lucia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from a Royal Caribbean Cruise that took us to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.
St. Lucia has so much to see, we couldn't do everything we wanted to do in just one day. There were excursions offered by the cruise line but there were so many people offering day trips right in the cruise terminal that were so much less expensive. We went on a boat tour on Maximum Chill Out. It was such a gas. The boat held about 20 people and we left right from a dock steps from the cruise ship. For $55/pp we spent about 4 hours touring different parts of the Island. Our first stop was in Sufriere (which means "sulphur air"...yes, p.u.!!) My boyfriend thought that the Sulphur drive through volcano thing was cool. I thought it was stinky and boring. Ok, there I said it. Then we got back in the shuttle and went to a natural waterfall. It was a bit crowded but we loved it all the same. We then sailed to Marigot Bay to a great beach club for a delicious caribbean lunch and gorgeous beach time. The best part was the boat ride around the gorgeous, lush island and the amazing views of the pitons. And the second best part was when Captain Bruce passed around a bottle of Rum and everyone took a shot. (that was our "on board cocktail!)
Basically, any cruise excusion is kind of expensive and you can probably do better in the tourist office that is in the cruise terminal when you get off the ship.
By the way, the cruise was GREAT. Great food and exceptional service. I was extremely skeptical but I am now a happy believer.

2 Thank mimiFairfield_CT
MS
6 helpful votes
“Simon Says Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

If you are going to St. Lucia, book a tour with Simon. You can contact him on the beach by Sandals Grande. It was an amazing tour seeing the most beautiful parts of the island. Lunch at Simon's home was the best food we had all week. Our driver was Junior, and he was a lot of fun. These are natives, born and raised in St. Lucia, and they know their home like other guides could not. Marina makes the best rum punch, too. Don't miss Simon Says if you go to St. Lucia.

1 Thank klcMS
Plymouth
20 helpful votes
“Tips for a great time in st lucia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a week in st lucia. It was great but thought it would be nice to share a few tips I would have found helpful. Firstly although it is the dry season take a small umbrella !! because when it rains it goes for it.Secondly take the trip to soufriere you get to see a lot of the island and the main attractions but be prepared the guides at the volcano and the gardens tell you they dont get paid and rely on tips so be prepared!!!. Also at the best photo points a local will offer to take your photo with your camera then expect a tip!!! lastly we stayed at Rodney Bay a taxi into the capital Castries will set you back approximately $40 us return a local bus will cost approximately $5 us return. People are on the whole are very friendly but expect a tip. Also we didnt realise how expensive it was going to be £70 for a main course and drink for 2. Lovely island if you go prepared you will have a great time.

1 Thank trysomewherenew

Been to St. Lucia? Share your experiences!