“Aerial Tram Tour: Interesting & relaxing, worth seeing once”

Rainforest Adventures Rainforest Excursion Tour
$82.99*
St Lucia Shore Excursion: Aerial Tram and Rainforest Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Situated in the highland community of Chassin in Dauphin, Rainforest Adventures St. Lucia offers visitors a unique opportunity for full immersion in the island's vibrant rainforest life. Guests can choose to amble along different things to do in St. Lucia, such as eavesdropping on nature's conversations along the nature trail, soaring up and away through the forest canopy on gondolas, or thrill-seeking on a zip line, gliding from platform to platform, high on the stoic trunks of the ancient sentries of the forest.
Toronto, Canada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Aerial Tram Tour: Interesting & relaxing, worth seeing once”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went on the Aerial Tram Tour at Rainforest Adventures, which also includes the fern nature trail hike. The aerial tram portion of the tour was a relaxing ride through the rainforest canopy that lasted approximately 1 hour, round trip. The guide on the tram was extremely knowledgeable and shared a wealth of information about the rainforest with us. She was also able to answer any questions that were asked. The scenery was beautiful on the way up the mountain, but on the way back you're treated to a spectacular view of the northern tip of the island (including Castries, Gros Islet, etc.) Make sure to bring your camera!

A few things to note about the tram ride: I personally wished that this trip was longer. It would have been interesting to get off at the top of the mountain to have a hike there - or perhaps even add some facilities like an interpretative centre or a cafe. As it is, the tram makes the trip without an opportunity to disembark until the end. Another thing was that some people on our tram were wondering why there were barley any birds to be seen. Our guide explained that the birds were mainly visible in the morning when it was cooler - they give a birdwatching tour at 6 am. So if you take the tram, don't really expect to see many birds (we did see a hummingbird, and a couple of others). Though it may not have been the right temperature for the birds, the tram was mostly in the foliage, so it was shady and breezy - very comfortable! Lastly, I felt that the tram ride was extremely safe. The equipment was made by Doppelmayr, a name that I recognized from ski lifts, and it looked to be in excellent condition.

The hike at the end of the trip was also interesting. It went by a waterfall and the zip lines (which really didn't look that exciting, though I didn't try them), as well as a variety of foliage, and a hummingbird garden. The guide was descriptive, but we went through the hike fast which left barely any opportunity for pictures. I was glad that I wore running shoes, and though not completely necessary, I would highly recommend bringing yours. At the end of the trail we were given rum punch or juice, and there was a gift shop with an opportunity to buy a souvenir photo from the tram ride (2 for $26 USD, which I didn't find to be unreasonable).

Overall, I did enjoy this trip, though it's something that after you've done once, there isn't much repeat value. The tour and the hike took about 2 hours in total and was $85 USD per person, which made it one of the pricier activities that I did in St. Lucia (that price included transportation to and from the hotel). One additional note: While I brought bug spray with me, I didn't use any because I didn't see any mosquitoes. However, when I returned to the hotel I had about 5-10 bites. While this wasn't too bad compared to cottage country in Canada, it would have been worthwhile to use the bug spray.

PA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Tour of the Island”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked this tour through our resort The Landings. The tour picked us up right at the front door of the resort. Our tour guide Chris was awesome. We had 4 kids in our group and he really made it enjoyable for everyone. We learned a lot about the island, toured the rainforest, saw waterfalls, and went to the volcano to take a volcano mud bath. The tour also included lunch at a local restaurant which was great local food. The kids even tried and enjoyed everything. My son a picky eater had seconds. Everything was well worth the money and we learned so much about the island the kids had plenty for the reports back at school. Thank you Chris!

UK
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wonderful, Excellent & Scary!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were recommended this by our friends who had visited 2 weeks earlier. A mini bus collected us from Rodney Bay which took approx. 25 minutes.
The whole 'adventure' is professionally run with great emphasis on safety and FUN. Harness and helmets are provided and fitted by the staff before you move to the first beginners zip line. This is a kind and gentle introduction.
We then moved to the Tranopy, the forest tram ride. This was superb!! Our guide explained the funa as we made our way through rather than over the wonderful rainforest.
Gentle, slow and comfortable. It lasts quite a time so well worth the money.
The tram stops at the top and a walk takes you to the beginning of the zip wire platforms.
We were sooo lucky to have two wonderful guides. Zebilina 'Tebbie' Cetoute and Akim Popo. These two quite frankly made our adventure! They were fun and encouraging, especially when the bravery failed!!! They both made a wonderful team and really made our day. We were also lucky that our group of 7 got on so well.
The zip lines ARE high, and at times you felt you really did not want to look down.
There were 9 in all, the last one we zipped in pouring rain, quite an experience. My husband had decided on our behalf we would do this as I simply could not make up my mind! This has to be the top attraction in St Lucia ' Do it!'
Remember to wear long shorts (harness will chaff otherwise) and trainers. Flip flops are a no no! We did not take waterproofs and we did get soaked!
Loved it. Highly recommended

Val Caron, ON
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tram ride fantastic”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The tram ride safe, informative & slow, so you definitely can take photos as you are going up or down. Our guide was fantastic. You're not in the glaring sun but @ same time not cold; I thought just right. They provide raincoats as it does rain every so often but doesn't last long. Afterwards went on walking tour - short & once again guide was informative. You end up at souvenir shop where you can buy water & other drinks, souvenirs plus various photos available to purchase of your tram ride -- you get to pick the one you prefer. If you've never been on a tram ride tour in other Carribean Islands then definitely recommend you do this. We could see people going down by zip lining & they seemed to have fun but that's not my thing.

Visited February 2012
New Jersey
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 222 helpful votes
“The rain forest tram ride is enjoyable but a bit pricy”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We took the rain forest tram ride and were surprised at how informative and long the trip was. We were on the tram for about an hour while we made our way up to over 1700 feet. This type of trip hinges on the guide and if you don't have a good one it can be a long hour ride. Luckily we had an amazing guide who made our experience very enjoyable. His name was either Kerch or Kertch. He was just great. He was very knowledgeable and really seemed to enjoy his work. After the tram ride we took the optional 25 minute rainforest walking tour and we were really glad we did as it was great seeing all the plants, trees and birds up close. The walk is fairly easy but you should wear sneakers as the terrain is not as well suited to flip-flops or sandals. We also suggest insect repellent as there are a few insects around. We booked the tour from our hotel (the Rendezvous) and the price for the tours was $85 per person which seemed high for what it was. Not sure what the Resort's cut was. But if you do get a guide as good as Kerch please remember to give him a small gratuity as they don't get paid that much.

Visited December 2012