“Climbing Gros Piton”

St Lucia Castries to Pitons Tour
Ranked #2 of 173 things to do in St. Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I signed up for a guided tour and was picked up by the "taxi" at 07:30 at my hotel Rex at the top of island. Unfortunately had no breakfast too early for cooks. However chatted to the driver and mentioned we had been told about some Cassava bread that was baked in a village we were due to pass through. We eventually picked up about 8 of us and he stopped of at the village and bought some of the bread with cheese. I was quite hungry and it was delicious. Climbing the hill was quite straight forward it is rough in parts but mainly steep going all the way . Great views from the top. Going down was much easier, at least I felt so, but again steep and you have to wear good footwear. Guide recommended at least 1 1/2 litre of water and we needed it . Terrific experience I was 69 when I climbed it so don't be put off we were a really mixed age group ( I wasn't last to the Top )

2  Thank gem88_13

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Since I was a child I was fascinated by these two fairytale looking peaks. Indeed the Pitons are the only geographical feature that makes St Lucia something different to all the other islands in the eastern Caribbean. When I booked our trip to St Lucia I made sure to pick a hotel where I would have a great view of the Pitons (Crystals). You can see them from many spots in the area. A great spot to take a photo is from the road to Anse Chastanet, there was a beautiful big sailing ship in the bay one day which yielded one of my favourite pictures of the Pitons.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We didn't climb the Pitons but our hotel was overlooking them. They were so awesome that we didn't even want to leave the hotel because of the view. People were coming up from the Sandals resort and were shocked and disappointed because they weren't staying in Soufriere. Pretty amazing to look at.

1  Thank Lee C
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We climbed the Gros Piton with a guide yesterday. There are two guide services, one run by Jimmy. We rented a car and drove down on our own from the north. Took longer to get there than I expected but guide service was great. Trail was excellent throughout. We had a lot of rain, heavy at times, and were soaked, but the sun came out periodically and we enjoyed it. Is strenuous, steep, but good railings and steps. Three main viewpoints on the way up. Took us 5.5 hours overall--3 up and 2 down, with a half hour on the top. Then snorkeled at Sugar Bay on the way back up. Overall a great day out.

4  Thank dbates509
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Enjoy the view. They can be seen from many different points on the island, so try to find a spot where they are not covered by the clouds. The island is filled with greenery and rainforest, so the Pitons fit right in. The only problem with St. Lucia is that it is not a friendly, safe-feeling island. There are lots of kids who yell out "Hey, American, could I have an American Dollar if I swim for you? Dive For you?" Not as bad as Jamaica, but certainly this island is not a family-friendly , feel-safe island like Dominica. When I visited the southeastern caribbean islands, I looked forward to St. Lucia the most. When I got there, it was the one island that fell below my expectations. The pitons are still pretty to look at, and the island still worth visiting.

1  Thank Kelly A