“Great climb, gorgeous view”
Review of Pitons

St Lucia Castries to Pitons Tour
Ranked #2 of 175 things to do in St. Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We climbed the Gros Piton with a guide yesterday. There are two guide services, one run by Jimmy. We rented a car and drove down on our own from the north. Took longer to get there than I expected but guide service was great. Trail was excellent throughout. We had a lot of rain, heavy at times, and were soaked, but the sun came out periodically and we enjoyed it. Is strenuous, steep, but good railings and steps. Three main viewpoints on the way up. Took us 5.5 hours overall--3 up and 2 down, with a half hour on the top. Then snorkeled at Sugar Bay on the way back up. Overall a great day out.

4  Thank dbates509
Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Enjoy the view. They can be seen from many different points on the island, so try to find a spot where they are not covered by the clouds. The island is filled with greenery and rainforest, so the Pitons fit right in. The only problem with St. Lucia is that it is not a friendly, safe-feeling island. There are lots of kids who yell out "Hey, American, could I have an American Dollar if I swim for you? Dive For you?" Not as bad as Jamaica, but certainly this island is not a family-friendly , feel-safe island like Dominica. When I visited the southeastern caribbean islands, I looked forward to St. Lucia the most. When I got there, it was the one island that fell below my expectations. The pitons are still pretty to look at, and the island still worth visiting.

1  Thank Kelly A
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Two very distinct mountains punctuate the St. Lucia skyline. They can be seen from many vantage points. Worth your time to stop and take in the view!

1  Thank travelerKristenB
Reviewed December 8, 2013

When I stood at the base of this mountain and looked up, I didn't think I could ever make it to the top, but I did! I am an only moderately fit 63 year old woman and I did find it difficult. On the way up it started to rain and I was quite grateful for the cooling effect, as I was getting pretty steamed up, although the water cascading down the steep trail in places made it very slippery. There was hardly anything I would call a path - it was all rocks and roots. Unlike others who have described being rushed by their guide, we had a very considerate guide called Cyril, who went very much at my pace and stopped at each of the resting places for as long as we liked. He also chatted to us a lot and pointed out and named trees and other features. I found the descent even more daunting, and I often had to almost 'bum-shuffle' on the steepest bits, but Cyril stayed close to me, pointing out the best footholds and often offering me a hand to steady me when the going got really tough. Altogether the round trip took us 4 and a half hours, which wasn't particularly slow. The sense of achievement was massive but I was more than glad to soak my weary limbs in the hot springs at Piton Falls afterwards, and I was stiff for a couple of days. The lesson seems to be to make sure you get a guide who will go at your pace, not theirs.

1  Thank Janice T
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hiking Gros Piton was an enjoyable time. Yes it is a bit steep at times, and you do sweat but if you are in reasonable condition all should be OK. I speak as someone in their late 60s.

I did the hike up Kinabalu in Borneo a few years ago, and one thing this hike could learn from that is to set markers every 100m up, so you know just how much further there is to climb. I was surprised that quite a bit of the trail consisted of cut steps and railings to hold, that certainly made the climb easier than I had anticipated. Most of the way up you do have covering from the trees and though it is hot and humid (and you are soon covered in sweat) at least the sun does not get to you!!. Still best to start out early in the morning. The views from the top are not super brilliant but at least you are there. And we did not realize there was more than one view point so probably something to check with the guide.

Some people in other reviews have mentioned that their guides went too fast. If you want to go steady ask for Margaret, very experienced lady who has been doing this for 18 years. But we could as a group have gone faster!! I wore a heart rate monitor all the way up (I do not have heart problems but always wear it at the gym) and the reading was never out of my comfort zone. We got to the top in 2 hours, but could have gone quicker. I would have liked to have gone quicker. And I was the slowest in the group of four. Came down in 1.5 hours.

After coming down it was off for an hour to the mineral baths at the Botanical gardens. That was brilliant and so recommended. Next day I had no stiffness at all (and I do have one knee which can cause problems). Not sure if this was because was not pushed on the way up or the effects of the mineral water, regardless I would look to book a trip which gets you into the mineral baths, great time to reflect on a lovely climb.

Suggestions - lots of water to drink, agree with the guide how quick you want to climb at your pace, energy bar for the top, go early, book the mineral baths.

So - go for it - the only tricky part for me was the drive over from Rodney Bay - had my stomach churning. Had a great driver, that is the road system.