“Nature's Marvel”

Pirates' Day Cruise Adventure from St Lucia
Ranked #3 of 170 things to do in St. Lucia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A spectacular landmark of St. Lucia visible for miles, Petit Piton and Gros Piton are twin volcanic spires majestically soaring out of the sea with waves crashing around their bases.
Louisville, Kentucky
578 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 423 helpful votes
“Nature's Marvel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

You can't visit St. Lucia without going to the Pitons. At our age we could not even consider making the climb. We did however, go to the base just to have the experience of looking up at the marvelous site of the two volcanos. If you are young I would urge you to take the climb. I has been described as an experience of a lifetime.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Florida
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Wish I could have made it to the top!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We hiked Gros Piton with a guide named Shane from the village right at the base of the Piton. The guides are required and included in the $30 entry fee, however if you really want to hike up alone, you can go halfway up with your guide and then go the rest of the way by yourself. I would not go alone after hiking this trail- some parts are extremely steep and rocky and god forbid if you twisted an ankle, you really need help getting down.
For the first quarter of the hike I was ok but Shane was climbing and hiking at break-neck speed and I kept falling behind. I could barely catch my breath as he kept going farther and farther ahead of me. I reached the quarter point and was awarded with a great view of the beach below though. Some tourists coming from private yachts will moor at this beach and hire a local to be their own guide, but this is not advised. These guides are not certified nor do they contribute anything to the local communities, whereas if you get a guide from the actual village it helps everyone out. It is also illegal for outsiders to pose as guides as well, so best not chance it.
After the 30 second rest at this quarter mark, again we were hiking at top speed and I could barely catch my breath. At this point some of the trail was almost completely vertical and I had to get on all fours at one point to hoist myself above the rocks. By the time we reached the halfway point, I had had it and couldn’t go any further. My boyfriend decided to go to the top with the guide while I stayed behind at the halfway point. The view here was spectacular and it was nice just taking it all in and admiring the hummingbirds and finches flying by. You get a great view of Petit Piton here, and while I was waiting I counted 4 rainbows. I also had some groups walk past me and one other lady decided to stay behind at the halfway mark because she was feeling dizzy.
My boyfriend made it to the top and said he almost passed out from the hike, but the views of the island made it worth it. There is also a large mango tree up at the top and apparently they are going to try to start a campsite at the summit as well.
It took my boyfriend about 1.5 hrs to reach the top from the halfway mark. So altogether, the hike took about 3.5 hours, roundtrip. I do believe that if I had a guide who walked at a slower pace and allowed us to catch our breath, then BOTH of us would have definitely made it to the top. It was a shame that our guide was moving so fast and I could barely keep up. I feel like if you're going to pay money, you should at least be able to go at a comfortable pace.
At the bottom of the trail there are showers, bathrooms and shampoo/soap for purchase if needed. There are also fresh and exotic fruits for sale that were really cheap- try the apples with salt. I know it sounds crazy but it was actually tasty! You can also buy shirts too.
So, some things noting-
1. Even if you are in tip top shape, this hike is rough. My boyfriend did the insanity workout for 30 days prior to this trip and still almost passed out. Getting a guide that hikes slower will help though
2. People with short legs will struggle more on this hike. Some rocks were as high as the length of my leg, so at some points you’ll literally be rock climbing
3. Bring TONS of water, bug spray, and extra clothes- your shirt will be completely soaked through with sweat by the end. Bring your own shampoo and soap too so you can take a quick shower at the end of the trail.

2 Thank threelittlefish856
St. John's, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Challenging and Rewarding if you are in good shape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is not a hike, it is a climb. Most reviews start this way for a reason! You should be in average or better shape and be prepared to sweat. I am 37yr old female, I workout vigorously 3-4 times a week and consider myself in good shape. My climbing companions, 7 of them, range varied but I would say we were all fairly active between 30-65yrs old. We all made it, but for some it was very very tough. The Moderate rating for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the hike is a bit silly as it is 95% rough terrain with boulders and roots to manoeuvre, it really should be listed as "challenging" the last bit, after you pass the point of no return is a series of stairs made of roots and rocks and they are mostly 34"-36" or higher. This part of the climb is straight up. It absolutely poured rain on us from 1/4 of the way up and we all wished for a sweater or something to put on as we were actually chilly. Pack for all weather in your backpack. Good shoes are a must also as the rains made rocks treacherously slippery.

They are strictly regulated now too. You NEED a guide and at least 1 for every 4 persons. Also, the guides would not take us without 1 litre of water minimum each. (on a hot day you will need at least that & probably a snack or two!)

All the above into consideration, I LOVED doing this climb. It was one of the highlights of my trip. The views from the top aren't mind blowing (and it was rather foggy for us) but the entire trail is quite pretty and the mango tree is really a sight. If you like a bit of challenge, this is definitely for you.

1 Thank NAZIEMANIS
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Climbing the Gros Piton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We hiked the piton Nov 2013. This is not a hike to me it was a climb. You are forced to hire a guide which costs $60 a person! But good thing we did. My boyfriend can climb and is quite smart, but you really need someone if you haven't done this more than twice, at least. It is steep and at some times strenuous. But if you are at all physically fit you can do it. get good rest and no drinkikng the night before. And you will feel accomplished once done. It took us 90 minutes up and 90 down. Just take it slow at your pace and easily done.We came across an older couple almost at the top! (i amd 32) It poured rain on our way up, but really wasn't too bad. Just a bit more careful and going down was way easier! You can go half and come back down. but after paying i made it to the top! It was cloudy so we didn't have a great view. Also ask before if you are adventurous you can climb over to the other peak once you are on top for an even better view. Our guide never suggested

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Climbed it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

An hour and a half drive winding from the north of the island in an open topped jeep was the introduction as to how steep this island is. The climb up the Gros Piton was pretty strenuous and the rocks and track were slippery in places. Reaching the summit after 2 hours gave a great feeling of achievement and the views were fantastic. The climb down was actually harder as gravity wanted to lend a helping hand. The Petit Piton must be my next challenge it I return to the island.